FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEXY Reviews: the SPEAR blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY Reviews: the SPEAR blade
    Posted: 01/29/2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

It's official. After last night's practice and games I have moved to SPEAR as my main set-up. I find it easier to control and more forgiving than the (more powerful combination) Virtuoso with Hexer +. I will try the Virtuoso again with a slower fh rubber to see if that does the trick, but for now SPEAR it is.

I see you switched back to virtuoso, may I ask why? what do you prefer wrt spear?
I got away from Spear to my Sword Arylate custom with Thors. I had tried Thors on Spear, but that didn't harmonize well due to the top layer softness of the Spear. Thors on the Sword Arylate was a better combination and superior over Spear with Sword Hero Enhanced until all of a sudden and without warning Thors went ballistic and uncontrollable on me. The Virtuoso Hexer+ combo was great at slow to mid speed but at the higher speed, the combination of Tensor kick and Virtuoso kick was too much for me to handle. After I told them about it, OSP recommended a medium hard rubber for the Virtuoso. I got a hold of a slightly used sheet of Xiom Omega IV Pro and when Thors went crazy on me, I thought I give the Virtuoso a try with the new rubber. This is the best harmonizing combination for me yet. Lots of control and feel in the low and mid speeds. Good agility (the blade can be moved quickly without great effort) and lots of control in high speed, high spin situations. My Spear is right now without rubber, but I plan to put the Giant Dragon TopEnergy testing rubber on it once I get it. I have a bunch of IQUL used rubbers for the bh as a neutral choice while I test the fh rubber.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Sponsored Links

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 10:56am
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

To me Spear has enough power that may be control is needed. So 1.7mm Tenergy forehand and 1.5mm Mark V is the most I think is needed if you are under 2000.

one more....!!
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 10:44am
I played a tourney once with 1.7mm tenergy on the FH (on acoustic) and I had the most wonderful control and consistent opening loops but the ball would come back again and again...I could never finish off the point even with a strong lead.
1.9mm is the minimum on the fh imo.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 3:07am
To me Spear has enough power that may be control is needed. So 1.7mm Tenergy forehand and 1.5mm Mark V is the most I think is needed if you are under 2000.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

BH-Man

It's funny you should mention the youtube clip of Rory Gallagher performing "Brute Force and Ignorance"; as i was talking to Phil McDonald two weeks ago, who was Rory's sound engineer at the time.

I hadn't seem him for a while and I got a laugh out of seeing his surprise, when I told him about the youtube clips.

Haha. That is like adding "Fuel to the Fire" Haha.

Adding T05 to the SPEAR is like hitting with a "Souped Up Ford"
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 6:30am
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

It's official. After last night's practice and games I have moved to SPEAR as my main set-up. I find it easier to control and more forgiving than the (more powerful combination) Virtuoso with Hexer +. I will try the Virtuoso again with a slower fh rubber to see if that does the trick, but for now SPEAR it is.

I see you switched back to virtuoso, may I ask why? what do you prefer wrt spear?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 5:00am
BH-Man

It's funny you should mention the youtube clip of Rory Gallagher performing "Brute Force and Ignorance"; as i was talking to Phil McDonald two weeks ago, who was Rory's sound engineer at the time.

I hadn't seem him for a while and I got a laugh out of seeing his surprise, when I told him about the youtube clips.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 4:14am
Haha fatt, the BTY Firehand no flex/brutal foce...

Kinda reminds you to go on youtube and watch Rory Gallagher perform "Brute Force and Ignorance"

Thank Peter C for that one. Good call.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 1:36am

So I spent 2 afternoons playing the SPEAR with Mark V HPS and I have produced a strong game based on consistency, variety and placement versus an all power game that faster blades force us to adopt.

Coming from fast blades I immediately enjoyed the feeling of security that generally 5 ply all wood blade provide.

I found the blade faster than most 5 ply and, if it had still enough flex for looping, I felt it as good as 7 ply blades for hitting.
That is the main feature of the SPEAR to me: it is a good fast looping blade that can hit flat really good like a 7 ply blade.

A few weeks later I tested a Butterfly Firehand and I had the same impression, feeling the Firehand as a heavy SPEAR on steroids with no flex and only brutal force (nothing wrong about that).

SPEAR tries to cover the OFF side of all wooden looping blades while sharing a strong piece of territory with all hitting blades.

I could definitely make it my main blade because all I can do in the all round, loooping and hitting games I could do with the SPEAR with minor adjustments.

I can't predict a poor market for the used SPEAR blades under the pretext people, happily consistent with their new magical want SPear blades,  would keep them because the market generally goes against whatever I can find right about it; at least at first.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 1:26pm
this quick note to confirm thethinker has the spear blade that I had received from peterC. thanks.
fatt
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:15pm
Did anyone test the Spear with Thor's? I am not sure if that is a good pairing. Any help is appreciated.
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 7:42am
My girlfriend just called me, Spear and Color have arrived!

Mr. Moon has also sent me a present, there's an AIR Illumina X77 2.2mm rubber in the box aswell, great! So there's gonna be three reviews from my side, I hope to finish them in the upcoming weeks.

Great service by Nexy Thumbs Up
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I have that in mind. I am still waiting for tiehwen to answer my pm about him willing or not to receive and test the SPEAR blade.

There is absolutely no rush at all. Actually, I would be very grateful if you waited with this next step of Spear testing until I am back from Baltimore 4 weeks from now. Or not - that's up to you. If someone wants to test it before that and then mail it to me - great!

I am interested in testing the  "SPEAR" blade !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2010 at 6:49am
I have ordered a Color blade yesterday and get the Spear delivered aswell. I will compare them to eachother and write my (still missing) review on Spear. I will use Vega pro/euro on both.
* Vega Pro / Europe
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 4:31pm
Fatt

What are your thoughts on the Spear?

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 4:28pm

I have that in mind. I am still waiting for tiehwen to answer my pm about him willing or not to receive and test the SPEAR blade.

There is absolutely no rush at all. Actually, I would be very grateful if you waited with this next step of Spear testing until I am back from Baltimore 4 weeks from now. Or not - that's up to you. If someone wants to test it before that and then mail it to me - great!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 4:20pm
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 3:02pm
Jim, you can test ahead of me because I am still trying to figure out the Color.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 2:53pm

So i am ready to ship the SPEAR blade I received from PeterC. tiehwen is next and thethinker will follow. if those 2 people decide to pass, maybe JimT will still be interested?

Sure... I can try it if the other guys are out of town...

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 12:57pm
So i am ready to ship the SPEAR blade I received from PeterC. tiehwen is next and thethinker will follow. if those 2 people decide to pass, maybe JimT will still be interested?

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2010 at 9:08am
If it says anything, the Nexy Spear is the ONLY bat in my TT case right now.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2010 at 7:43am
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 9:44pm
Tonight I dug out the Spear again. I recently put a sheet of Sword Hero (2010 version) on it.
Just as a side note, the Hero rubber smells pretty fishy right out of the package and has a sticky paper on the sponge (to keep the tuning in?).
I'm not sure how much break in time (if any) this rubber needs, but it was decent right away. The rubber is grippy but completely non-tacky.
This took some getting used to as the throw of the rubber was quite low on brush loops, but as soon as the sponge gets engaged it really takes off in speed and spin. The arc was beautiful low and dropped sharply at the end. I felt the ball nicely and had fewer misses the longer the session went. On loop drives, this rubber clicks with a really high pitch, whereas on flat hits it sounds pretty woody. This rubber is not as soft as PME 42.5, but not really hard either.
The Optimum MP on the BH seems a bit too bouncy now and I had more problems keeping the BH loops on the table. For me, Spear works best with a medium-low throw rubber and it has a really nice kick on hard hits and loop drives. I think I will put a harder rubber on the BH to take off some of the bounciness.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 4:08pm
I found that Blit'z did not compare favorably on SPEAR vs. either of the PME versions. For me the throw was just too low and I had trouble getting strong backspin over the net with my opening loop. Blit'z didn't have the Tensor Kick as pronounced as the other two. Personally I preferred the 42.5 on SPEAR, but I like soft rubbers.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

I'm feeling lazy & my "memory" is faulty so my apology in advance to the other testers/users who've used PALIO'S BLIT'Z .
 All I can really say is that starting with
Palio MACRO
Haifu Blue Whale II
XIOM Vega Europe
andro Impuls
then
BLIT'Z

I was expecting more from it having just played the too soft by most any "intermediate beginners" (andro Impuls) standard.

I didn't feel it was particularly more powerful & probably not more spinny.
I was practicing smashing against a chopper friend who was doing some amusing retrieving & it just wasn't enough.
Of course smashing probably isn't this rubbers forte, all the same, it didn't really drastically outperform the supersoft Impuls.

Not that "soft" is bad on the Spear, I'm, none the less, starting to think harder is better.
The control is already in the blade.
Is LKT's Black POWA a harder sponge?

Try Palio Macro Era 47.5 - the hard version. Or Blitz.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:01pm
I received a spear from peterC yesterday. I play this Saturday a tournament so  I'll probably try it no earlier than next Wednesday next week. will post about it.
tiehwen is next on the list to test this blade. or maybe JimT; or..???
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 11:43pm
I'm feeling lazy & my "memory" is faulty so my apology in advance to the other testers/users who've used PALIO'S BLIT'Z .
 All I can really say is that starting with
Palio MACRO
Haifu Blue Whale II
XIOM Vega Europe
andro Impuls
then
BLIT'Z

I was expecting more from it having just played the too soft by most any "intermediate beginners" (andro Impuls) standard.

I didn't feel it was particularly more powerful & probably not more spinny.
I was practicing smashing against a chopper friend who was doing some amusing retrieving & it just wasn't enough.
Of course smashing probably isn't this rubbers forte, all the same, it didn't really drastically outperform the supersoft Impuls.

Not that "soft" is bad on the Spear, I'm, none the less, starting to think harder is better.
The control is already in the blade.
Is LKT's Black POWA a harder sponge?
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2010 at 2:20am
Tonight ill put my next review with the Spear and Coppa Speed + T05 FX and will finally upload the photo's (their huge :()
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2010 at 8:59am
Thank you, jcdi~!!
You are very correct in all things about SPEAR, as I designed.
Just one news to add. Khvn did not receive the blade.
He took all the time deciding on what to buy and now he is waiting for a specific weight. So I think he will join maybe several weeks later.
Brand Manager of NEXY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2010 at 4:04am
Hey guys, good to see the detailed reviews, i'll be adding mine in a short time. I wanted to wait for a lighter version, but it seems it's going to take a while. So i've decided to get the 91gr. FL one and i'm ordering today. The summer stop is almost over here (10 days), so I'll get the chance to play again soon, i'll write my review asap. I'm gonna put T05 on FH and AIR on BH. I might give boost TS a try aswell, but i've come to the conclusion I don't like rubbers that soft, at least not on TBS. Maybe it's better on the spear. Anyways I'm looking forward to play again. Big smile
* Vega Pro / Europe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic