FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEXY Reviews: the SPEAR blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 10:06am
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

BH-Man, from your review I'm get the overall message that the SPEAR functions like a Galaxy W6 in its looping ability, and is comparable to the TBS, albeit a slower, more controllable, less offensive TBS. Am I right?

In your opinion, how much do these tradeoffs between the SPEAR and the TBS rank up? I suppose if it had to come to using only either the SPEAR or the TBS, which would you use?

I really do not want to answer that question about which blade to be primary blade until I put T05 in the SPEAR and hit with it for a week or two. I have been using the TBS for a few years with good reason and it will not be so easy for another blade to knock it down a position on the priority of use list.

SPEAR lets you play a different game, if you like taking another shot or two before finishing. The slightly lower spead & better control on connecting shots with Outlaw make it more attractive for this style. Coach like me to move towards playing this kind of style. I like to finish as soon as I can. I can still do this with SPEAR as there is still enough finishing speed and control on fast loops.

SPEAR also gives you a few more options for your rubbers. It is also cool to show the Korean clubmates that you use a Korean brand.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 12:47pm
If anyone use Next Color. How is the Spear Vs Color in terme of speed/control and looping ability.
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 1:00pm
...I think that will be Peter C & maybe jcdi(sp?) not sure but I think he picked up a Spear
Give it time.
ps I am very much curious in the comparison too!Thumbs Up

& to BH-Man; I will address your feedback/vibration question after my next hit.
Sorry for the delay
Wink
I will say too; my very first match played w/ my Spear was against a Korean gentleman.
I won 17-15 in the 5th!
Needless to say, I pointed out the country of origin of my new  s w e e t   NEXY blade!Big smile
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 2:27pm
Saltebor1

The Spear is an evolution from the Color and Dexter; both of which I have and intend to use as a reference, when I do the review.

What differences am I expecting?

Outer plies :

Both the Dexter and Color have Kiso Hinoki outer plies

The Spear has limba outer plies

Rubber Choice :

The Dexter and Color were designed for use with Tibhar tensors; like Genius and Nimbus.

The Spear has Limba outer plies and therefore, should be easier to match up with a wider range of rubbers.

Looping after the bounce :

As good as the Color is, it's achilles heel is looping after the top of the bounce.

In contrast the Dexter is good at looping after the bounce and ideal for a close to mid distance looping game.

And I'm expecting the Spear, to be as good at looping, as the Dexter.

p.s. On another thread, kelvinyoong has asked for the Nexy Spear, to be compared to the OSP Virtuoso, as well.

Edited by Peter C - 07/07/2010 at 1:24am
Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 4:05pm
Thanks for the replay Peter

I'm using NEO H3 rubber with Color on the FH, and yes it is difficult to loop after the top of the bounce. So do you think it will be easier and more precise with Spear blade?
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 4:11pm
Saltebor,

I'll be testing the SPEAR tonight with H3 Neo on the forehand~can give you an answer to that in six hours time. 
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 10:57pm
Okay, review is up. Pictures coming in a bit. Counterlooping was all right. I couldn't tell though, because of the setup having such uncontrollable high throw. From my initial impressions, I don't think H3 Neo is good on the SPEAR. I hear the LKT Black Power is comparable but better, with lower throw, so I'm going to be test running that. 
Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 11:09pm
same i found with Color.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 12:47am
Does the Color also have a high throw? I'll let you know the results of my experiment with Black Power hopefully in 24 hours.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 12:51am
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

Okay, review is up. Pictures coming in a bit. Counterlooping was all right. I couldn't tell though, because of the setup having such uncontrollable high throw. From my initial impressions, I don't think H3 Neo is good on the SPEAR. I hear the LKT Black Power is comparable but better, with lower throw, so I'm going to be test running that. 

Oooooooo...
Your pictures are VERY GOOD!
Thank You!

Dig the start of your review too.
Slightly differing formats are good.
Look forward to reading more.

Once again
s w e e t pics!
Clap
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 5:18am
Blade is in, along with the ordered H3 Neo and the Air Scirocco sample.

I expect to make a review coming week, along with video & photo's.

First impressions on how it looks are great, for both the blade and the air rubber. (U will see)

Happy Hitting.

Regards,

Johan Thomassen
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 8:09am
Hey Thomasson, looking forward. So are the AIR rubbers in at Nexy? Which version did you get and with which hardness and sponge?
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 4:34pm
I got a Red MAX (2.3) rubber, SN version, its rockhard (couldnt cut it, even my scissors barely could get trough, glued it on the nexy blade. I will upload pictures along with my first hitting after tomorrow evening.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 1:49am
Well, all rubbers are not created equal as far as the SPEAR is concerned. Threw on two different sheets on it tonight, and well...complete change. I could write a whole new review than the previous impressions and there'd be little similarity. Craziness. Updates coming tomorrow I guess...

Saltebor, have you tried H2 Neo on the Color? I played the SPEAR with LKT Black Power, which was fast, spinny, low throw, hard to control - kind of like what I've heard about H2 Neo - and it worked out pretty amazingly.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 11:37am
Outlaw is pretty low throw and it worked GREAT onthe SPEAR, for me at least. look forward to seeing your updated observations.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 12:35pm
Medium low to low throw and harder sponge rubbers are the way to go with the SPEAR, methinks. Higher throw and the setup will be super high throw; softer sponge and the setup will feel mushy.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 2:25pm
Hi rawrtje, My first go with it says, to me, it is not bad with a soft sponge.
I am using a super-soft Tensor and it does not feel mushy to me... even at near-mid
to mid distance.
No disrespect intended... just noting what is mushy to one may not be mushy to all.
Still look forward to seeing the rest of your updated observations!Big smile

I am going to try either
Blue Whale II
or
XIOM Vega Pro
next (in a couple of weeks or so)

Maybe I will find them much more suitable;
at any rate, they are both a good deal harder than my Macro.
Heck, I think I ~could~ go softer (Andro Impuls) but that rubber was clearly too soft on my Maze Passion and would probably be too soft for the Spear... even as a BH rubber? Maybe.

& for BH-Man, I am finding the feedback/vibration mild & not nearly so pronounced as was my
Stiga Allround NCT, which vibrated wildly if one had the displeasure of striking too far off center.
Nasty.

Edited by Heimdallalso - 07/08/2010 at 2:44pm
NEXY Lissom st 85g
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 2:48pm
Hi Heim, I've updated my post with last night's findings. No offense taken~after all, each person's game/views is a sum of relatives, no?

I've been playing penhold from day one with traditional Chinese rubbers on the forehand: super hard, super sticky. Even H3 Neo 40 degree sponge felt uncomfortably soft to me, but it was evened out by the stiff Bomb. The LKT Black Power has a much harder sponge, but none of that deadness commonly attributed to hard Chinese sponges. In fact, it has more pop/pace than the Neo, should you be willing to work to extract it. I think I'm in love.  
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 6:32pm
Heimdallalso

I can imagine Blue Whale II being a good match for the Spear.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

Heimdallalso

I can imagine Blue Whale II being a good match for the Spear.

Thank You Peter C, you picked up on my wanting someone to tip "my" decision.
As I already have both ready to go, Blue Whale II it is!
Then let's see what happens when I whimsically (foolishlyShocked)  drift 4 meters back from the table.
Don't expect to win much that way but can see myself hitting some wicked counters.
Must move legs & whole body!!!
c o i l
...then unleash!LOL
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 2:38am
My first impression review is in (first page).

Please notice this is not a FINAL review.

Things might feel different next time.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 3:00am
Thomasson,

Thanks for the review! I was surprised to read your favorable reaction to Tenergy's high throw. Is your TB ALC high/medium high throw, or at least higher than the Spear? I think my Bomb is much lower throw than the Spear, and so I could not handle the Spear with H3 Neo.

Edited by rawrtje - 07/09/2010 at 3:03am
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 4:39am
My TB ALC gives a pretty high throw, but less controlled then Spear.

Im not saying I cant make a high throw with Spear, but with my normal forward spin, Spear goes closer over the net. Probably because of the feeling and dwell time. Ive decided to go for an all wood blade next season, either Spear or HK 655. Mainly because of the dwell and feeling.
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 5:05am
Nice first review! I played the last years with MMaze and TBS and i'm heading in the same direction towards an all wood blade. I played pretty well with these arylate/carbon blades, but it's missing the feel. I'm not an all out attacker and touch shots are an important part of my game. Not saying TBS isn't good for this, it's a very good and versatile blade, but it's a little too hard and low throw with little vibration for me. I think a 5ply wood would suit me better, i can make enough speed on my own and would like to be able to do slower or shorter shots. A slower blade is better for a varied game and helps building consistency.
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 8:20am
Thomasson & Karabijnje

I think you are both on the right lines. I used to play with the TBS and Michael Maze, as main blades too, in the past and still occasionally play with them; however, I have gone back to using wooden blades, for my main set up; as my game has changed and I prefer the better feel of wooden blades.

Regarding the Hurricane King; well you might want to consider the Xiom Fuga; which is classed by some as a cheaper alternative and it's a good blade in its own right.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if you adopt the Spear, as your main blade; as it's already made a favourable impression on you.

Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 10:17am
Thanks Peter C,

I wont need a substitute for the HK though, since I already have one.

Thanks for the info anyway, since my coach wanted to buy my HK but I will link him to that one ;)

I loved the carbon frames and Photino, but now I played with HK and Spear I tend to go back to wood, like in the Donic Senso times after leaving the beginner group.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 6:52pm
The Nexy Spear

Weight : 90 grams

The flared handle fits comfortably in the hand and feels natural, during play.

It's a well balanced blade; which comes in useful when doing forehand to backhand transitions and vice versa, during close scrimmages.

Like the Color, the Spear doesn't feel head heavy, like the Dexter can; with heavy rubbers.

The bounce test indicates the Spear is faster than the Color, but not as fast as the Dexter or Oscar.

Like the Dexter, the Spear is a linear blade; which is fine by me; as that's how I like my blades .

Dwell time :

Compared to the Color, it has better dwell time and that gives it more control.

Blocking :

I don't have a problem blocking with the Dexter and the Spear was no different. It's good for blocking.

Control :

I'd rate the Spear as the best of the Nexy blades I've tested, when it comes to control.

Which makes it the most versatile design too. Variations of Spin, Speed and placement feel easier with the Spear, than the Color, Oscar and Dexter..

Looping :

Nexy has done a good job with this blade, as I'd rate it as his best design for controlled looping, to date.

Whether you want to play a slow, heavy topspin loop or put more spin and speed into your loop; this blade responds thanks to its linear nature.

Thanks to the Spear's control, I find it easy to loop consistently with, on both wings.

Rubber wise, it plays fine with H3 Neo on both wings. I've yet to try it with Japanese or European rubbers.

Backhand Chopping :

This is the one area I struggled with, on the first night; when the 2mm Apollo was brand new. However it's had enough playing time to have lost it's original tack and chopping is fine..

The Spear also performs well for backhand chopping, about 3-4 feet back with H3 Neo too.

Conclusions :

I would class the Spear, as the most rounded and versatile design of the Nexy blades I've tested to date.

It's a more balanced design than the Color, because of it's better dwell time and much better looping performance..

Prior to testing the Spear; the Dexter was my favourite Nexy blade and it replaced the Clipper Wood in my TT bag.

The Dexter is still the blade I would suggest for those who like the Clipper Wood and are looking for a 5 ply alternative.

As a European two winged looper though, the Spear gets my vote for those who don't need a blade as fast as the Dexter and want a blade ideal for controlled looping and playing a varied allround/offensive game.

Edited by Peter C - 07/12/2010 at 6:54pm
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

The Nexy Spear

Weight : 90 grams

The flared handle fits comfortably in the hand and feels natural, during play.

It's a well balanced blade; which comes in useful when doing forehand to backhand transitions and vice versa, during close scrimmages.

Like the Color, the Spear doesn't feel head heavy, like the Dexter can; with heavy rubbers.

The bounce test indicates the Spear is faster than the Color, but not as fast as the Dexter or Oscar.

Like the Dexter, the Spear is a linear blade; which is fine by me; as that's how I like my blades .

Dwell time :

Compared to the Color, it has better dwell time and that gives it more control.

Blocking :

I don't have a problem blocking with the Dexter and the Spear was no different. It's good for blocking.

Control :

I'd rate the Spear as the best of the Nexy blades I've tested, when it comes to control.

Which makes it the most versatile design too. Variations of Spin, Speed and placement feel easier with the Spear, than the Color, Oscar and Dexter..

Looping :

Nexy has done a good job with this blade, as I'd rate it as his best design for controlled looping, to date.

Whether you want to play a slow, heavy topspin loop or put more spin and speed into your loop; this blade responds thanks to its linear nature.

Thanks to the Spear's control, I find it easy to loop consistently with, on both wings.

Rubber wise, it plays fine with H3 Neo on both wings. I've yet to try it with Japanese or European rubbers.

Backhand Chopping :

This is the one area I struggled with, on the first night; when the 2mm Apollo was brand new. However it's had enough playing time to have lost it's original tack and chopping is fine..

The Spear also performs well for backhand chopping, about 3-4 feet back with H3 Neo too.

Conclusions :

I would class the Spear, as the most rounded and versatile design of the Nexy blades I've tested to date.

It's a more balanced design than the Color, because of it's better dwell time and much better looping performance..

Prior to testing the Spear; the Dexter was my favourite Nexy blade and it replaced the Clipper Wood in my TT bag.

The Dexter is still the blade I would suggest for those who like the Clipper Wood and are looking for a 5 ply alternative.

As a European two winged looper though, the Spear gets my vote for those who don't need a blade as fast as the Dexter and want a blade ideal for controlled looping and playing a varied allround/offensive game.

Very good review. I agree.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 10:12pm
Nice review Peter. If you had to choose between the Virtuoso and Spear?

Which would you choose to play with?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2010 at 11:33am
Peter C, I see you like looping a LOT with the SPEAR and looks like you appreciated much of the same things I did - Control, Loopability, Blocking, Balance. I like to loop a lot as well, but the SPEAR opened the door to that extra one or two "Connection" Rally Shot to setup a better percentage finishing shot. Outlaw on the TBS wasn't so easy to do that shot, but it way easier on the SPEAR.

Great Review Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic