Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEXY Reviews: the SPEAR blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY Reviews: the SPEAR blade
    Posted: 06/30/2010 at 7:08pm
I received my NEXY Spear blade Monday & had a chance to start using it last night.
I encourage (though they probably don't need such) the other testers
to take their time and enjoy! Hopefully we can then produce some informative reviews that may be helpful to those considering trying the NEXY brand, in general, and the Spear blade specifically.
It is in this spirit that we can begin... NEXY True Joy of table tennis

karabijntje (review pending)

Peter C review

BH-Man review

edit: all testers have been invited here via PM
I, personally, will be rereading NEXY's stated goal for this blade.

Good Day & Good Hitting to all!
Thumbs Up

Edited by Heimdallalso - 08/12/2010 at 2:29pm
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Sponsored Links

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2010 at 8:08pm
Just a few first impressions.
I picked up the blade at the PO today and transferred my rubbers from the Yasaka Extra (Blit'z and Stiga Optimum MP). Nice finish, lightly sealed, the edges on the wings nicely sanded. The handle feels good in my hand.
Bouncing the ball around on the rubbers for a bit, boy is that a difference to the Yasaka Extra. It feels like I switched from a VW Beetle to a BMW. There is so much more speed available right away. By no means the fastest blade around, but surely more gears available. Feels a good bit faster than my Timo Boll Off-. I would say squarely Off. Also, the sweet spot is quite a bit larger than any of my other blades. The only other all wood blade that I tried with the same large sweet spot was the Kido 7P.
I hope I can play with it soon, as I am away for most of next week. I will take the time to re-read the comments on the idea behind SPEAR and have a look at some other reviews to pick up a few pointers on writing reviews, but most of all I will ENJOY this beautiful blade.
I hope the other testers will ENJOY it just as much.

Finally some play time (although not enough)
I didn't get off to a very good start on this blade. The set-up is a little heavier than my main set-up and the blade shape is different with a thicker blade on top of that.
I believe that caused me to hit a LOT of balls of the edge of the blade. Usually I go through my regiment of drills with a new set-up to get my timing and feel adjusted, but this time we played around in my friend's basement. The good characteristics of the blade were still there when I actually hit the ball, but my rate of hitting the ball was just not there. That's not a fault of the blade, just a fact of life when switching to a set-up that is different enough to what I am used to. I am sure once I get used to the differences, that things will look more positive.
Playing again tonight....Smile

Another night of playing with SPEAR. It worked quite a bit better this time. My timing was on and my shot percentage was way higher.
My loops were pretty good, spinny and fairly low. So far, no blade had a higher throw with any of the tensor rubbers than the Bty Timo Boll Off-. SPEAR is definitely faster than the Timo Boll on loop drives as about 50% of my shots went long. I guess I need more adjustment. However, when I closed the blade enough, the loops drives were spot on and usually kill shots.
Service and short game had nice feel and was very controllable. I was able to put nice spin and angles on my serves and pushes, long or short. Brush loops were only OK for me as I appeared to lose some spin on them. My partners were more often able to just block these loops back where they normally have more difficulty with my spin variations.
Blocks and fishing were OK too, but not the strength of this blade. I don't believe I have used this blade to its optimum yet. I think I will need a proper few practices to make the most of this blade. Time will tell and come. It will definitely stay in my top 3.

I played several more times with SPEAR and I find I can't handle how it pairs up with Blit'z. Overall, too many balls ended up in the net when I was looping and I had a hard time getting strong backspin lifted. I will put on my sheet of Hexer+ and see if that solves my problem with low throw on this setup.

Edited by mmerkel - 08/24/2010 at 11:19am
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2010 at 9:51am
Ok I will give a first impression, since I havent played long enough to fully judge the capabilities.
This will be edited once I have a final review (with photo's and video material).

Nexy Spear ST 88.4g
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
BH: Air Scirocco MAX (2.3) Red
FIRST IMPRESSION (2 hours of play)

Last night it was finally time for me to hold this beauty.
Coming from an ALC ST the handle was a bit different, but it felt good once I played with it for a while.

I took the Tenergy 05 from my main setup, since I know how this rubber plays, glued it on my FH.
For the BH I took the delivered Air Scirocco, this rubber was rockhard once I got it out of the package (the packet is very nice in gold metallic). Ive had troubles cutting trough it so in the end, scissors helped me out.

I started out a normal warming up, just hitting FH & BH. No real changes from ALC yet. Only thing I noticed is I had more control because of the Air Rubber, which is a good flat hitter in my eyes. Thats the last thing im saying about this rubber now, it will have a seperatie review.

When I really got into playing freestyle and matches, I noticed how much control the Spear has. When I was looping I was feeling like a machine, I could place the shots almost anywhere I wanted with enough spin to keep control of the game. Counter-looping was no trouble at all. There was less speed then my ALC, but nothing that would really trouble anyone. The high throwing effect of the Tenergy 05 combined with the Spear was a good one in my eyes. Since the ball went low over the net most of the times I spinned. When moving back out of position it gave me lots of feeling and control. My teammate kept spinning/smashing and I could just return them safely without giving him the chance of a killer ball. Once I got back to the table and started blocking I noticed the difference in rubbers, I could block pretty much everything with both of the rubbers, still having control on where to block it. One's ive missed were misreads.

Services where alot alike with my ALC, just more feeling because there is no carbon in it (more dwell?). My teammate couldnt say if there was a different in effect, so lets call it even.

Coach's small review:
My coach played a match with it, he said it plays like a butterfly blade, gave good control and spinning felt comfortable.

Conclusion after first play

Good first impression, I did not have to adapt my style of play or anything whatsoever when switching from the previously mentioned ALC.

After the first night my Overall score for the blade is:

8/10
I will continue testing this saturday & monday, I hope to give a final review on tuesday evening.

MAIN REVIEW after testing 3 more days

Its a beauty isnt she?

Before I begin my fmain review I would like to mention that I will devide it into several main lines. (Spin,Control,Speed, etc.) I will give numbers from 1-10 and will try to compare it to several setups I tried and say which it is the closest to. PLEASE NOTE, I will almost never give a perfect 10 score, or it has to be the perfect thing for me.

My previously used blades as a main setup:

Amultart/Donic Dotec Hinoki/Photino/TB ALC and testing a DHS HK 655

If there are any questions please feel free to ask them!

Spin: 8/10

Yes the blade is spinny, compared to an ALC/Photino/Amultart its equally spinny in my eyes. No need to work excessively(?) to get enough spin on the ball to get ur opponent in troubles.

Speed: 7/10

Does it have speed? Depends on what you're used to and what u like. For me it was not ENOUGH speed, but then again, im used to the frames mentioned above. My teammates played with it aswell, one couldnt notice a real difference from Photino and the other one found it to fast coming from an Andro allround frame. So please notice, this is my opinion.

Control and Receiving serves: 9,5/10

Close to perfect, thats all I can say. The T05 on my FH seemed to have become a control monster on this blade, without losing any of the abilities I have with it on another blade. It also might have been the AIR rubber on the BH changing it, but I doubt that. I will slap a T64 on the BH soon just to try. I noticed the blade is very forgiving on hard shots and misreads can be saved if ur using the right technique. No blade I used so far gave me this much control, I think the Donic Dotec came closest.

Blocking: 8/10

With such control I could easily block any incoming spin, high loops went short over the net and fast drives could be returned to almost anywhere I wanted to (not as short as possible. LOL). Comparing it to any other blade, I would have to pick the Photino, because of the feeling the Photino gave me whle blocking, so does the Spear.

Looping: 9/10

Its a looping machine ladies and gentleman, the ease I could loop with was incredible, this together with the easy spin given was giving my opponents a hard time. Normally I would have to go for a killer shot after a few spins, but not with this buddy. It might be all wood giving me this pleasure cause I also noticed this while using my HK for a bit. Comparing it to any of the other blades ive used is IMPOSSIBLE. If this blade had just a bit more speed this would cause havoc onto any player. 

Serving: 7/10

This is one of my strongest aspect of my game, sadly enough I missed the feeling while serving, it might be the handle being slightly different, I might not be used to it yet, but after these days Ive not fully managed to maximise my service like it is while im using my ALC.

Short-game: 8/10

Control is pretty much saying everything already, playing short game is easy, it doesnt bounce to high of my racket, it goes there where I want it to be. Although this is really rubber dependant, I could play easily with T05 and Air Scirocco, which are quite different from eachother. I would compare short game to Photino, this one being the much better one.

Chopping: 8/10

No im not a chopper, no I wont be one, but yes some people might want to use this for modern defense. The speed is not to low to chop away from the table. The control+speed combination is good for this and with a defensive rubber im sure it will work even better! The rest of my blades are to fast for chopping so I cant compare them really.

Mid-far distance play: 7/10
Shame it is to slow for me, I can get the spin, I can get the height, but when I get both of those its lacking the speed it needs to put pressure. It might work for others but not for me, could say I have a NEED FOR SPEED. If the Spear was slightly faster though it might be perfect. I would compare this blade to Donic Dotec since I replaced that blade for the same reason. (Lissom maybe?)

Flat hitting/smashing: 7,5/10

Yes u can do this with it easily, perfect placing, not bouncing of ur blade, I can put pressure but just not enough, which makes the score a 7,5. I consider it to be equally good at this as the ALC. The ALC has the speed without the perfect placement.

Drop-shot: 8,5/10

Well control is all I can say, together with the great feedback this blade gives. The ball almost drops dead on the table after I do one on right moment. Photino is good at this aswell, just not as good as this one.

Pushing: 8/10
Same as the drop-shot, pushing serves or spinny topspins is quite easy. Timing doesnt even have to be perfect. Im even putting a bit of spin on it while pushing. Again I would compare it with Photino, this one giving even more feeling.
Conclusion:

Score: 8/10 same as the first impression score.
I would rate the blade as an OFF blade with +++control. Its a great blade.

+:
Control - Spin - Looping - Feeling

-:
Speed
Ive not decided wether to get this as a main blade, I love everything but I hate the lack of speed. Im also trying the HK 655 and will decide after I tested that.

Plz comment, question, argue. Im happy willing to motivate anything I wrote.

WILL ADD PHOTOS+VIDEO LATER, AFTER UPLOADING.
If u feel my review or arguments are wrong or wrongly stated, feel free to contact me.
[email protected] 
Thanks again for giving me this opportunity NEXY!

Regards,

Johan Thomassen

Edited by Thomasson - 07/13/2010 at 1:41pm
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2010 at 11:27am
I suppose my review will go here then. The order is at Incheon International Airport too LOL I'll update as things progress.

P.S.- for the reviews, do you guys think it'll be best if we put headers before every "section" of our review, like "Specs", "Initial Impressions", "First day of playing", "After a week of playing", etc etc?

Update 1: Initial Impressions

For future reference for the purposes of this review, I am a offense-minded penholder who plays primarily close to the table and backing off a little bit for topspin rallies, and only far away for the occasional bout of fishing and lobbing. Usually, it's all about the serve and maneuvering/setting up the third/fifth/seventh-ball kill. I'm only about 1600 USATT in playing level, so I have a long way to go in terms of my play - hopefully I can still do some justice here. Comparisons will be made to the 729 Bomb (a stiff-ish 7-ply with good dwell and speed for both looping and hitting) and occasionally the Galaxy W6 (a flexy 5-ply looping blade), as these are the ones I have played with the longest and feel most acquainted with.

I received my SPEAR blade last night, and so tonight I'll be able to take out for a knock at my club for a few hours. The blade looks good and well-constructed. Not perfect though. Like Heimdallasso, an A- for craftsmanship. I requested around 84 grams, and weighed it in at 84.15. Holding it in my hand, it feels very nicely centered and completely balanced. Bouncing a ball on the naked blade, it feels on the upside of OFF- to the lower end of OFF. Noticeably softer feeling and more “penetration” than the 729 Bomb. I've not made any modifications to the blade, other than sealing the handle, edges/sides, and gap with Joola varnish. The flanges on the forehand side are already cut a bit and feel very nice to hold~dunno if I'll even need to sand it down any more.

Some pictures below:

Update 2: First day of play (1.5 hours)

I tested the SPEAR with H3 Neo Commercial, 2.2 mm thickness, 40 degree hardness on the forehand, and Palio CJ8000 Beijing Team Spin 2.2 mm on the backhand. The total weight of the setup came out to be 189.17 grams, which was pretty heavy. Due to the nice balance of the blade though, it did not have much of an adverse effect.

As suspected, the SPEAR is noticeably softer and more flexy than the Bomb. Being used to the stiff crispness of the Bomb, it actually feels kind of mushy. Compared to the W6 though, it is not nearly as mushy in feeling, and less flexy. The sweet spot is pretty large, larger than both the Bomb and W6, and there is a little vibration when hitting outside of it. This was a nice indicator of when hitting a good shot on target or not. The blade is pretty high throw, and in add to that the H3 Neo and CJ8000, which I find to be also pretty high throw, the result is a super-high-throw combo. I found a lot of my shots going out because of this. This probably negatively affected all the review categories.

Looping: Like has been expounded upon before, this blade excels in controlled looping. Slow, opening loops are great, as well as medium-paced loops from close to the table and mid-distance away. There is a noticeable decrease in pop/pace compared to the Bomb, probably due to the softness. As such, I think loop drives are better with the Bomb. Compared to the W6 though, the SPEAR does everything here the W6 is known for: continuous looping machine, and it does it better. The feel is more solid, more embracing, and while slower and softer than the Bomb, is not mushy and deadish as the W6. On a few select loop drives close to the table, however, I was able to produce monster loops, with the pace I was so missing compared to the Bomb...so I sense a lot of potential here, and I probably will have much more to say with time to adjust to the blade and its feel and tweak my technique etc etc. There is a slight trampoline effect, which wasn't too off-putting. I love linear behavior in my gear, and usually hate any outstanding trampoline-ing/springiness, but this didn't concern me.

Blocking: In the short time that I played, this is by far the aspect that most impressed me. Blocking is just awesome with the SPEAR. I felt like I could place balls coming at me anywhere. Blocks were solid and crisp, despite the soft feeling. The blade hugged incoming balls, allowing me to control it as I wanted. I had to be really careful to have precise angles when blocking though, otherwise they flew way out. I feel this was a direct effect of the super-high-throw of the setup. In matches, the blocks seemed to lack pace, however, and were not as zippy as the stiffer Bomb. Control is better though, allowing better placement. However, the lack of pace was probably significant, as a lot more balls came back. I had a harder time keeping everything low and snappy, probably due to throw issues again. Compared to the W6...again, worlds better.

Serves: Nothing special here. I think I got about the same spin as the Bomb. There is less springiness, and easier to keep serves low and tight, as the dampness of the SPEAR hugs the ball in. Better than the Bomb in these regards.

Short game: Solid. Great control on flips and pushes. Pushes are easy to load up on spin, and keep short or pull long. I'll need more time with this, though. Better than the Bomb by a little bit, and way better than the W6.

Driving/Smashes: Here the slower softness of the SPEAR really plays against it. The Bomb, being stiffer, is significantly better at driving/smashes. With the SPEAR I found myself being unable to really put away the smashes and drives with the same zip as I'm used to. They were all right, but not great, and counterattacks came back much more than with the Bomb. Better than the W6, though.

In conclusion, the SPEAR is a solid blade, with lots of potential. My game suffered noticeably, but this was probably due more to the rubber matching and lack of time to really adjust to the blade than anything else. As of right now, I prefer my Bomb to the SPEAR, but that doesn't say anything. I found it to do everything the W6 does, but with waaaaaaaaaay better pace, feel and touch. As both the W6 and SPEAR are 5-ply "looping" blades, this comparison is probably more relevant so far.

I'm going to slap on new sheets of LKT Black Power 2.1 on the forehand and Gambler Outlaw 2.0 on the backhand, both of which I hear are lower to low throw. Hopefully this will work out better on the SPEAR. As I've never used these before, though, it'll take a while longer to get a good take on things, as I now have three things (blade + 2 rubbers) to adjust to and learn. I'll post my findings on this tomorrow, and then come back after another week or two.  

Wow. That's really long. And it'll only get longer...sorry Confused

Update 3: First day of play (3 hours)

Last night I gave the SPEAR a go with the Black Power (fh) and Outlaw (bh), and if I had to sum it up in one word: magic. We know a setup is a blend of blade and rubber, and the combination of their properties is much more important than their individual ones. This is a poignant example of this. The SPEAR with Black Power is worlds different than with H3 Neo, so much that all my observations above are completely dissimilar. Gone was the soft, almost mushy feeling. Gone was the dithering slowness and lack of pace. Here everything felt solid, fast, penetrating. The SPEAR might not be too fickle with your rubber choice, as long as it's what it likes. LOL

The bottom line: use fast, hard(er) sponge, low throw rubbers with the SPEAR. 

More detailing now. For the three hours I focused almost solely on the forehand side (forehand and traditional backhand), as it's 99.9% of my game, with the backhand only coming out in drills and easy kills. As such, I can't say much about the Outlaw 2.0 on the backhand, except that drives, loop drives, and smashes feel very solid and pack quite a bit of punch despite not being max thickness.

On both sides the feeling of indefinite ball-hugging was gone (probably due to harder, faster sponges), but the penetration into the blade was still there. Maybe it was due to the rubber change, but whereas before the penetration into the blade kept the ball there to control it wherever you wanted, here it felt like the ball penetrated into the blade to be unleashed as it were, upon the opponent. I lost a lot of control, but gained a lot of power. But it wasn't uncontrollable...controlled power, you could say. The Black Power seems like a beast of a rubber - significantly faster and spinnier than H3 Neo. On my Bomb, it would have probably been uncontrollable; on the SPEAR, the blade lends control to cool down its rage. Good stuff. 

Looping: Opening loops were faster, lower, more grazing. Still slow and controlled. Harder to pull off though, especially against underspin, due to the low throw. Outside of opening loops, however, brush looping/grazing strokes are a complete fail. Even against topspin, brush/grazing loops get dumped straight into the net. No weak, passive, noncommital shots here. There was no tolerance for that. Full commitment and effort was required, and greatly rewarded. Taking a few steps back and looping powered from the legs and waist with straight-arm technique with full contact through the ball resulted in low, grazing, whizzing loop drives. The ball sinks through the sponge into the blade, and then EXPLODES out. With the Black Power, this necessary impact into the blade gives a massive CRACK sound, providing feedback when you pull it off properly. The speed is intense; the finishing power is all there. There's much less control, but it's still there should you have the technique to utilize it. Even way out far from the table, counterlooping is smooth and deadly. Ma Lin type lunge loops all seemed to go in. Explosive results, but required explosiveness from you too. Think RSM/Xu Xin. It took a lot out of me, but I've never had deadlier loops. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Blocking: Not as controlled as before. Blocking is still beautiful though, just in a different way. Fast, low, grazing. The low throw and speed were the stumbling blocks here. That's just a matter of time to adjust. 

Driving/smashing: Amazing. The mushy feel is gone. Driving and smashing feels solid, but not hard. The absorbance of the blade lends control, but shots are still booming. Before I had but a fraction of the penetration I had with the stiff Bomb. With the Black Power, I don't think I've had a better mix of power and control for putting away smashes on anything, even when compared to the one time I had a hit with Tenergy 64 on a one-ply Hinoki. Related to this is fishing/lobbing ala penhold style, which is amazing, and even more amazing is this setup's ability to countersmash/counterloopkill 15+ feet out.

Serving: Harder to keep tight. Worked better with the rubber to produce spinnier serves, though.

Short game: Again, harder to keep short and tight. More spin, less control. Flips are good. Low throw makes everything harder. Easier to apply pressure.

In conclusion, this setup is a monster. The SPEAR is a good tamer of fast rubbers, lending a lot of control to complement their power. Paired incorrectly, it's a little bit on the terrible side. Paired with the right type of rubbers though, magical things happen. It's great for an all-around style of play, as far as the court is concerned, able to perform from all distances. Squarely OFF feel, for a squarely OFF playing style. Penhold attackers who want to rip the ball from anywhere, look no further. Transitions from looping to smashing to defensive fishing/lobbing to countersmashing and looping again is seamless. It's brutal, but brutal on passive/bad technique too. I'm going to stick with this setup for now, and come back after two or three weeks to give final thoughts. I've a feeling this might develop into a permanent relationship. 

Final edit: Looks like I had one really good day and got carried away. As stated elsewhere in this thread, it didn't work as stated above on any other day than the day I wrote it. What happened? I have no clue. Still a very solid blade, just didn't pan out for me in the long run.

Edited by rawrtje - 09/10/2010 at 7:49pm
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2010 at 11:45am
That's a good idea. I think it would be good if we updated our initial posts with any new findings, so the reviews stay on the first page of the thread and are not spread throughout many posts. Would make it easier for others to read. Comments?
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2010 at 12:24pm
That's a great idea. Already the first four posts are from four of the six testers...a shame that Peter C and karabijntje aren't post #5 and #6. It'd be perfect then LOL
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2010 at 7:47pm
Don't worry rawtje, I've been holding back on posting, until I've received the Spear.

However; bearing in mind the comment that all of us should have a post on page 1, that we can update to include a review, at a later date makes sense.

Edited by Peter C - 07/01/2010 at 7:48pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 12:52am
Hey Guys, I can always link the reviews to the first post; wherever  they may eventually appear in this thread.

I think my initial review will be posted Monday or Tuesday.
In the meanwhile I am spreading the word!

Edited by Heimdallalso - 07/02/2010 at 12:54am
NEXY Lissom st 85g
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 2:24am
Heyz sorry, been busy lately and haven't had much time to visit. But i guess my review will go here then Tongue. I will order this weekend. I can't play as much as I usually do, because of the summer stop, but I can get 'some' playing time luckily. Looking forward to play with SPEAR and to what the other testers have to say about it!
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 2:32am
No need to apologize! Good to see you karabijntje.

Everyone here & accounted for. Come back when you're able!

Be Well & Good Hitting fellows.
"See" you all in a bit!
NEXY Lissom st 85g
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 2:48am
I like the sound of the large sweet spot, very important for average players and a good way to tell if a blade is quality or not
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 11:25pm
No body tested it yet? I'm also curious about how you guys felt.        Ermm

Edited by Nexy - 07/02/2010 at 11:26pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 11:57pm
Maybe they are enjoying it too much. So no time to write.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 12:55am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Maybe they are enjoying it too much. So no time to write.
+1. LOL as well. No sour grapes here I hope, Kelvin. Since u were not 1 of the chosen few to test/play this Spear, I guess u've to wait a bit by the sideline for the review. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 1:39am
No. No sour grapes here. I wanted to get a Color in AN but then Spear come out and i think it will suit me better thus waiting for a review.

If the Spear is good and comes in AN. I will order it.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 1:48am
Well, my Spear hasn't arrived yet. So it'll be a few days before I even get my grubby little paws on it, let alone play. LOL

Then maybe I'll be too busy liking it to write anything, and you'll have to wait forever for my review mwahaha

EDIT (03 July 2010): My order has been delivered, and so hopefully I'll be able to get 10 or so hours of play on it by the end of this week. Updates coming soon!

Edited by rawrtje - 07/04/2010 at 7:29am
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 10:55am
Sorry guys,
since our official season is over right now, I am dependent on my friends that have a table in the basement....and then there's work Cry So I haven't played in close to two weeks and next week I am away on business......
But as soon as I get a chance to play again that SPEAR will be in my hand Wink
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

Well, my Spear hasn't arrived yet. So it'll be a few days before I even get my grubby little paws on it, let alone play. LOL

Then maybe I'll be too busy liking it to write anything, and you'll have to wait forever for my review mwahaha

Grubby little paws... That description fits me to a T. I had to put grip tape on the SPEAR. Big deal, even with the PERFECT FL grip on the BTY TBS, I still use grip tape.

Don't fear. there is nothing wrong woth the grip on the SPEAR. I just prefer a jumbo sized grip (wierd, considering I have PUNY paws) on my blades. I will shortly write a review of the SPEAR. Up until now, I have only given out tidbits about SPEAR. It is past due for me to write a half-ass full review. Nexy is probably plenty disappointed that I had the SPEAR in my hands a full week before the rest of hte forum and have failed to produce a lengthy review. Chill out Pr. Moon, I have a LOT of favorable things to say about the SPEAR. I justifiably take your heat for failing to write more about it sooner.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 1:02pm
Another thing about the handle (Koreans call it a grip) on the SPEAR. I made it a point to show Nexy my smallish hands. Nexy's hands are pretty much average hands, and my hands were easily a few cm shorter than his and my wrist was almost half his size. However, I have Popeye elbows and nice forearms that no one else on this planet has, so the score is even. I also devour spinach. I would almost bet dinner that Nexy does not eat much Shigumchi. (Korean for Spinach side dish) I fail to understand why spinach is not a standard side dish in most resturants. I seem to have to make special request for it. I must be going to the wrong resturants. Stil the Korean resurants earn bonus points for giving you an unlimited service of garlic and lettice. Nexy bought me dinner when I visited and I almost ate that resturant out of any profits by eating 4 baskets of lettice (which is unreasonably expensive this season) and 5 trays of garlic. Thye have a nice service where you press a button and get immediate service of a waiter or waitress calling out YES! and magically appearing within seconds. Germany NEVER has such service in resturants, but is tempered by live broadcast of Bundesliga matches and excellent beers.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 8:16pm
Have to tried AN handle blades before. If you like a slightly thicker center on the handle it might do the trick.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2010 at 9:47pm
I visited Nexy HQ a few weeks back and had a blast. I posted a few things about my visit right away. That was when I had a lot of energy. This last week was particularly draining as I tried to give a group of 20-23 year olds heart attacks each moring during morning fitness training. (I am O40 BTW) Plus, I have been running around silly at work. So, all excuses aside, I have been hitting with the SPEAR as my primary setup the last two weeks and it is high time I wrote something substantial about it.

Pr. Moon (Moon SaJangNim) let me walk away with a 89 gram FL handled SPEAR a few Mondays ago. I have made a few comments of first impressions and such, so here goes a longer spiel on the SPEAR.

Weight - 89 grams
Handle - Flared
Rubbers Used: Dawei XP 2008 power (40 degree 2.2 sponge) and Outlaw 2.2 Black.
Environment: a typical Korean TT club in the hot, humid months of summer
Level of tester: USATT 1600 ish before I left USA and started playing/training in Korea for almost a year. I SHOULD be significantly higher than 1600, but I will have to do a few tourneys to back that one up. Until then, I will gladly accept being a 1600 chump and take bets with odds reflecting that level. Any current USATT1600 players can come here and play for a beef short rib dinner. Don't worry, it costs only $44 USD to feed me for the evening. (Beef short ribs are real expensive here for some reason and I like to eat for 3-4 people.) don't worry, unless you slobber, I can house you for a week in a spare room, if you can handle sleeping on the floor like a lot of Koreans do. I actually have a daybed, so if you come alone, don't sweat it.
Initial imppression: Out of the box, this is an average blade. Ball bounced off the blade and seemed stiffish and OFF speed. Weight of blade a mere 89 grams. I crave setups in the 90s for starters, but heck, it cost me zero dinero to try this one out.
First hits: I dont know how NEXY tried to market this blade, but it is simply a beast of consistant looping. NEXY is also very correct in stating that his blade will very well accomodate whatever rubber you like to use. This is no joke and something that is not seen in a blade since the release of the BTY TBS. I put on Dawei XP Power 2008 for crying out loud and that rubber on the SPEAR was a no-sh*t can't miss the table looping machine. That is one aspect that can benefit my game, as well as a lot of players' games. Even Outlaw on slow strokes was manageable. This was not as possible on my favored TBS.
Construction: Limba/Spruce/Ayous/Spruce/Limba
Thickness: 6.5? I have no way to measure it accurately.
Aesthetics: Cool looking design. Back side of blade shows NEXY Co's dedication to supporting disadvantaged youth. I will later make a suggestion on a card to put possibly put in all orders explaining the Nexy leaf sybol and its meaning / company mission company values. A good opportunity for Nexy.
Speed: I do not know how NEXY rates this, but I would rate it as the very low end of OFF or high end of OFF-overall. It feels slightly different on slow and fast strokes.
Control: Outstanding on opening loops and continued loops. You can simply loop your oponent to death if you choose. You can also try for something extra on that forst loop to get the point. The control is there. Surprising how much control this blade has for opening loops with Outlaw 2.2 sponge. Speed wasn't dull, just had loads of control on those defensive slow stroke topspins. TBS only had this control with T05. Pushes had the spin and placement you wanted. Driving was chancy, but then again, I am a looper and do not drive as well as I loop. I made the same misses with the TBS on those shots.
Serving: I could get excellent spin from bioth rubbers. That helped my game. I rely on deception to get outright points or a nice 3rd ball attack. I could use extra spin on slow strokes that make it look like there is less spin. This helped a lot in this department. I got Tenergy like spin from serves, not the loops. We all no there isn't much better than T05 on openers) from XP 2008. That says a lot.
Feedback: Even though I used grip tape, I could feel the blade's vibrations. After testing the Stiga OFF classic and Nittaku Thunder blades, I have developed zero000000 affinaty for blade vibration. This blade has changed my mind on this a bit. I can feel the impact and what is going on and not feel bad aboutt the feel.
Driving - USA calls driving a shot with medium to fast speed and only enough topspin to land the shot. it is pretty much a straight shot. Koreans call this shot a "Hwa" and I am not as good at this shot as loaded topspin loops. (which ironically, Koreans call that shot a "Drive") You get the expected blade acceleration of an OFF blade and land the shot where you want it with good feedback. it doesn't excell at this shot like say, the TBS or other stiffish blades, bur SPEAR does other shots well.
Opening looping: I don't use medium loops top open the point on FH so much. It is usually either a powerloop from a bottomspin, or a slow speed, topspin LOADED loop, hopefully landing deep near the endline. This setup could loop with whatever you put on it and is by far the strongest point about this blade - the ability t land you loops and keep landing them. You did not quite have the finishing power of the TBS, but you landed your attack and that counts for a LOT. You could always expect the return and pulverize the block. It simply means that you get to hit TWICE on attack and double the fun. My fast loops had enough oomph to get by my opponents. I have the fast speed impact Next describes and can get by with an ALL blade if it is stiff enough. My slow loops had enough spin to wear out the ceiling from opponets blocking high. (Yes, an exageration, but I got  a lot of blocks out. The ceiling thing just makes it easier to visualize)
Continuos looping: SPEAR does it work here as well as it allows you to control the point and win it when you make your move. The SPEAR really helps yuo get into a game where you etup your points and finish. It really helps to have a blade that lands your shots leading to this. You can add that extra power on your shot or keep looping your oponent to death, if he/she allowed you to strat the offensive.
Passive shots: You could control the pushes and add spin when you need. Pasive shot against a no spin ball was a failure, as most outfits are. You can feel it and control it.
Smashing: You do not blow it by your opponent at 110 kpm, just at 100 kpm, which is enough. Stiffer baldes work better. SPEAR does a good job of mimimizing errors on this shot.
Blocking: I excell at blocking and the SPEAR, although flexy, still allows me to block soft, fast, and keep depth/direction control. It really helped to have Outlaw on BH for this, but even softish 40 degree sponged XP could block well. Usually, a stiff blade blocks better.
Counter looping: This blade lets you take the initiative whenever you want it. The flex gives you the extra topspin and feel to make loop after loop.
Chop: I do not chop a lot. I do this only when I do not attack from mid-distance. I do not think this blade would work well for a combination Inverted/LP player, only if the player wanted extra help in looping. Usaully, these players want a something stiffer. I could make ht eshot and load the spin when needed, but this is not my primary setup shot.
Balance: With the grip tape, (I sweat a LOT and it is like 90F and 90% humid daily here.) the blade was very balanced. did NOT feel head heavy, like BTY VSG 1000.
Overall happiness: Sehr gefrieden - very happy.

I can show this blade to Korea club mates who play shakehand and they all like it. They want me to keep trying the LP setup, which I play a little lower level. Being on the other end of the SPEAR is not fun. Getting looped to death is not fun for anyone. Hookshot probably coined that phrase. The SPEAR is an OFF- to OFF weapon for any aspiring shakehand loopping attacker. My coach at the club kept asking me why I was not hitting with my TBS/T05. It was a pretty easy one to answer.

Answer to Nexy's question:

I failed to address some things in the review, especially the feeling on impact. The SPEAR certainly feels like it holds the ball longer, maybe that is why you get the nice spin and control. Spin wasn't overwhelming on the slow and medium strokes, but I wasn't using Tenergy. What was important is that allowed me to land more shots on those strokes than I did with the TBS using the same rubber (Outlaw) and that says a lot right there, plus there wasn't THAT much of a sacrifice in speed, just some. The overwhelming spin is there on full strokes and the control factor is way up there. The control is the more important aspect. There are not so many blades that are OFF - or higher that have control as one of the prominant feaures. I am not sure if Nexy markets the control as a selling point for this blade. The longer dwell is there and helps make this blade unique. I suppose it would be proper to mail this blade off and let another TT forum member use it and it would be like taking your best friend to the airport to go away to Uni oversees. I will decide if that would be another forum member in an English or Korean TT board, that is if Nexy has no problems with me moving the blade around to others for more testing/reviews.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2010 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Have to tried AN handle blades before. If you like a slightly thicker center on the handle it might do the trick.

I tried a couple and did not like them, but that was a long time ago and it wouldn't hurt to try again. However, no one over here use AN grip.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 2:06am

Blade: NEXY Spear

note: I had requested the lightest Spear available and received (what I presume to be) about the lightest ST handle Spear you can get. It measured between 85 and 86 grams.

Weight: 85 grams

Handle: Straight

First Impression: Someone took the time, by attaching a small piece of label/tape, to list the weight on the box & on the handle of the blade. This is nice. The box is fine... not XIOM quality but all the same, nice.

You don't play packaging!

see actual blade impression below

Cosmetics/appearance:

The blade face was lightly sealed. I did seal again though, also very lightly with some aerosol hairspray.

The ST handle is suitable for larger hands, average hands but maybe not small hands, unless you like large ST handles! It feels great in my semi-beefy hand!

It is more ovalish or roundish in comparison with the XIOM Fuga handle which is much more rectangularish.

I wanted to give the blade an A+ upon receiving it, however can only give it an A-. I only mention the ~very slight~ shortcomings (the lens was ~slightly~ raised on one end & I did run a 3M 320 sandblaster pad around the perimeter of the head, quickly, to smooth) to acknowledge and introduce the expectation that a buyer almost inevitably has when purchasing a new blade.

Sometimes dissatisfaction with the appearance/cosmetic finish with a purchase is merited.

The manufacturer/merchant should have a chance to "make things right". Even the best quality control will miss sometimes.

Sometimes, no doubt, a buyers expectations are unrealistic.

I've already spent too much time on this.

The playing experience should, and in this case, certainly does, take precedence.

see below

Rubbers Used: Palio Macro max FH & DHS 652 2.2 BH

Weight of set-up: 175 grams

I did a side by side bounce comparison at home.

Spear w/Palio Macro

Maze Passion w/Vega Pro (both with DHS short Pips Opposite)

They were quite different as the Spear/Macro exhibited more liveliness & I was slightly surprised to see this.

What percent of this "finding" is to the rubber & what % to the blade I'd not presume to know ~or~ guess.

I used a FH rubber I'm quite familiar with to start "evaluating" the Spear.

The blade is thicker (6.5?) and "stiff" feeling... which I like. I hesitate to say I am not sure how to rightly determine flex. Whereas, I find looping with this blade clearly easier than my koto top ply XIOM Fuga.

This isn't to say one is better than the other; only that having played with it (only 4 times to date), it is clearly more suited to my "style".

Playing:

The blades I've used (extensively) most recently are

Stiga Allround Wood NCT

XIOM Fuga

also had some time with

XIOM V1

Butterfly Maze Passion

I am a semi-aggressive allrounder who likes looping, blocking, retrieving, flicking and smashing.

The very first things that stood out for me is that the Spear allowed me excellent feel & consistency especially on the FH side.

I find I can loop & re-loop with it well (all assessments like this presume good footwork was employed).

The limba top ply, presumably working in harmony with the

spruce & ayous plies as well as the thickness & head shape have resulted in a blade that does allow the ball to penetrate to the other plies to the degree that they work also, then the player/user chooses what he puts into the ball.

I often play softer seemingly "passive" shots, with spin to extend a rally, rather than go for a low % shot. When I stroke controlled/passive/"slow"; that is what the blade gives me. When I want pace or speed, I can find more than enough!

Rubbers have gears, blades have gears & set-ups have gears!

This brings me to the other obvious (to me anyway) & quick revelation.

*I think this blade excels in going from attack to defend; from aggressive to "passive" & so forth.

I think it has been designed into the blade to do so.

If you are like me & love to try that "all or nothing" attack... & you've done so enough to know that some of them may come back to your side of the table,

you will find yourself in a position where you can/(may; depending on your footwork) play more stroke/shots.

I find this is where this blade excels!

YOU

ATTACK!>counter>soft block.

YOU

ATTACK!>counter attack>active block!

Here this blade is, as some younger people say, E P I C!

It plays well at the table & two meters or so back (presumably the "right" rubber is needed).

Control: as already stated I'd rate this blade high in control; 8+

Feel: Firm/stiff/medium fast to fast

Main Review:

1. Serve and Serve-Return are fine though, admittedly, this is not a strength of mine

2. For smash-drive close to the table and from mid-distance I would imagine many (most?) intermediate level players would find this blade strong though not the strongest/fastest

3. For looping from close to the table if your mechanics are solid, no problem.

4. This includes looping over the table.

5. Looping from mid-distance? I do like to counterloop now & then, but more time is needed to assess this blades ability; early indicators are positive.

6. For blocking and counter-blocking please see above*. This blade shines with passive and active blocks. I am guessing it's increased width/mass add to its stability. The very first time I played with this blade I am certain I made some of the best reaction & instinct blocks I've EVER made.

Improvement: I honestly don't know (or I am not of sufficient level to know) what the manufacturer could do to make this blade "better".

Sealing: this blade comes pre-sealed & while I did do one quick hairspray seal, I doubt it was "needed". I have changed rubbers three times (both sides) & every single time the removal was super clean & easy. Not even a hint of fatigue/potential splinter!

Playing Style: I think this blade really serves players looking to control the ball, with soft hands & varied speeds/strokes. I am not certain all out attackers would fall in love, but maybe. Probably not quite fast enough.

with Short Pips on the BH I might rate this blade Off- to Off

with Inverted both sides I would rate this blade Off

it is certainly "faster" w/ inverted on both sides

Personal Opinion: I will take much more time with this blade as only so much can be revealed so quickly. I expect to find more strengths and possibly weaknesses as time goes on...especially on the BH side with short pips & overall in regards to what kind of sponges the blade might favor. Of course, this might be more to an individual & their abilities, level & style.

I would buy this blade, at it's current price point, in a heartbeat, were there an American distributor.

Closing for now: While many of us would like this whole assessment process to be more of a science than it is... it is still not. I asked two fellow players (so far), 1800+ & 2100+ to try the Spear out. One felt if vibrated too much. The other felt no vibration. One objected to its thickness & assayed it poor for looping though reneged slightly. One said not enough flex & so on...

For me this blade is clearly working in terms of comfort & possibly, & more tangibly as months unfold, results.

If you are a not too demanding or overly particular allrounder say anywhere from 1100 to 1800 US this blade is worth considering. (this is a silly loose guesstimate offered by me, one step above a newb, 2 steps above a n00b!)

I am very much looking forward to the other reviews & to seeing how the other gentlemen find this blade. IF it does not fit everyone's game so be it.

What other blades is the NEXY Spear competing with? Hopefully they (the other reviewers) can provide some high quality photographs like some fine reviewers have in the past (rokphish is one that comes to mind).

& lastly

There is or may be, undoubtedly, ~some~ coloring of peoples receptiveness to things, especially those things which are "given" to them, with the condition that they should review it afterwards, as a "payment", of sorts, for the "gift".

Had I found the Spear not suitable for me I would have simply said so.

As it is, repeating myself, the fit is a very good one & a bond is beginning to form already!

Hats off to Mr. Moon. His passion & joy have delivered a blade to me and

(I am CERTAIN) ultimately, to many many others that will also experience that Joy!

Well Done & Thank You Mr. Moon!

Given your passion, dedication & joy, with just a tiny bit more "help", be that in the form of wise marketing, word of mouth, sound business practices & so on,

NEXY will prosper!

Dig my towel too!!!

I Heimdallalso, reserve the right (and expect) to modify this review in the spirit of clarification or revelation when as such may occur.

Edited by Heimdallalso - 08/04/2010 at 1:48am
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 2:08am
My Spear will arrively today or tomorrow according to the tracking :D I hope today since im giving training to youngsters at mondays, and tomorrow im cheering for my Dutchies in Africa! :D
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 8:51am
HeimD, Cool Review with PICS!

You stressed that you liked the blade's ability to transistion form attack to defense and back to attack. I agree and think that one quality of the SPEAR is its ability to keep the ball in play when you are not using full power strokes. I had to put Tenergy on my TBS to do this and it seems you can put almost any rubber you are comfortable with on the SPEAR and it keeps the ball in play.

I thought this blade was flexy on loops, but like you, I simply LOVED the way it blocked. I normally use a stiffish TBS with Outlaw on BH that is a blocking machine. 

HeimD, what did YOU think of the vibration and feedback?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 9:15am
Nice reviews! I like what i'm reading and can't wait to get mine. BH-Man, great you are comparing it with a TBS, because that's my blade also at the moment. I'm planning to use T05, maybe both sides, but at least on FH. Not yet sure on the BH side tho. Wondering if it will be a good match, I loved my TBS with 05. What do you think? The main reason i'm still looking for another BH rubber is the weight, other than that i'm very happy with T05.

Edited by karabijntje - 07/05/2010 at 9:20am
* Vega Pro / Europe
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 11:43am
I use Outlaw, not for the weight, even thought it is very light. It just doesn't do well in humidity and T05 is not as affected in humidity. You are talking about the BH rubber for the TBS, right? LOTS of choices. Try one you liked before that is light and check it out. If you mean the SPEAR, just as Nexy says, a lot of your favored rubbers can work well with it. Outlaw got tamed down on slower strokes and still kept its pop on the fast loops. Koreans call these shots "Connection" shots. You hit the ball with a slow to medium stroke with light to medium topspin to keep the ball in play and position it where it is more difficult for opponent to continue the strong attack. It's not either a loop or a fishing shot.  Why not try it out with different rubbers on each side, especially one you have around and like? You can flip the bat and see how each one does its thing. For me, XP 2008 was better for my FH, I could land slow/med/fast loops real easy like where Outlaw on FH was either slow&spinny or fast loop. I didn't want to rip T05 from my TBS to test, then rip off again and glue once more. I made excellent spin from Outlaw and XP 2008, but I would guess that T05 on the SPEAR would be INSANE spin, like it is on the TBS. Just my guess. Anyway, YOU shape up to be trying T05 on the SPEAR and get to tell us all firsthand how it goes.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 1:08pm
BH-Man, from your review I'm get the overall message that the SPEAR functions like a Galaxy W6 in its looping ability, and is comparable to the TBS, albeit a slower, more controllable, less offensive TBS. Am I right?

In your opinion, how much do these tradeoffs between the SPEAR and the TBS rank up? I suppose if it had to come to using only either the SPEAR or the TBS, which would you use?
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 2:40am
Seems like it is gonna take a while for me to receive the blade, customs always take about at least a week, and I will probably have to pay even more to receive the items.

Hope it will be done anytime soon..

I WANT TO TEST :@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 3:47am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

... Anyway, YOU shape up to be trying T05 on the SPEAR and get to tell us all firsthand how it goes.

I will, not sure what to put on BH side tho. If I like spear it's gonna be my main blade. I'm looking for a better feel / more vibration compared to TBS. I could handle T05 on the BH of TBS pretty well, but i'm expecting spear gives more spin with a higher throw. That together with the added weight of T05 both sides makes me looking for another option for the BH side.
I'm currently playing with boost TS, which is very soft. I like the control i have with it, but i can't punch as well as i could with tenergy. I feel it's missing some power due to it's softness. Also I miss the spin I get from tenergy. The problem is the harder a rubber gets, it usually gets heavier aswell. Well we'll see, I might run into something, and if not, then I could always put T05 on back again. Has anyone tried T05 in different thickness? Are they very different from eachother? (1.7/1.9/2.1)
* Vega Pro / Europe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic