FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Long pimple destroying setup?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long pimple destroying setup?
    Posted: 07/10/2010 at 6:47am
Like a lot of loopers long pimple players give me grief, I'm always getting beaten by people I shouldn't be getting beaten by because I don't play these often and my current setup just isn't good for flat hitting. Now I've decided perhaps the best way for me to deal with them is a separate blade than the one I'm using so I can more easily hit straight against whatever spin is on the ball. I do have a TSP hino carbon here doing nothing which should be a good blade to go with an attacking short pimple and I figure I want either 802 or 802-40 on the FH, whats the main difference between these two rubbers? and I guess using this rubber on both sides would be fine for the job at hand?

Edited by nicefrog - 07/10/2010 at 6:52am
Sponsored Links

DanBrizVegas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanBrizVegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 8:26am
you goose, beating long pimples has nothing to do with a different setup!

When you go to yr club to train, pick out your pip players and practise against them. it's just a matter of adjustment, and being able to adjust strokes when you play against them. The more you play them, the better you'll adjust.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 10:10am
There are no dark side pips players here, there never has been and I doubt ever will be, so I only play them once a year, maybe one or two players and usually that's the game where I get booted from a tournament, it's a bit much for me to cope with right there and then and when your playing at a pretty high level only to get beaten by someone you would beat easily if they were from your own club, that's pretty annoying.

I've probably lost 5 games of table tennis in 3 years, and 3 of those would have been against long pimps. I'm never going to be able to practice against such a player so the chance for me to learn how to beat them consistently with my own normal game and setup isn't good. At the moment I'm having to hit 5 well timed loops in a row every point for 7 games to have a chance at winning those games and it's just so much harder than I know it should be. I know I should be able to just flat hit them but that's a very alien way to play for me. So it really is worth a shot for me to try something different bat wise for a few dollars worth of rubber, I mean using a different combo to beat guys beyond your normal level works for them, who says it can't work for me :)?

Edited by nicefrog - 07/10/2010 at 10:14am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 10:22am
Slap a sheet of 2.2 Outlaw on the FH. You can hit thorough spin, and even create you own overwhelming spin on fast loops. Outlaw also flat hits through spin nicely when you become accustomed to it. You still need to read the spin and keep your blade angle/stroke direction in order, but Outlaw is more immune to spin than you would believe. Low throw is also a plus for the flat hit or loopkill.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 10:31am
I'm using H2 now, last couple of times I played long pimple guys I came across older guys from the state veterans team and I got messed up both times. I'm able to hit good strong loops against the incoming balls most of the time but gees, hitting 5 in a row to win a point gets pretty old after 7 games and it's heavily affected by changes in the incoming spin and I'm not at all confidant with smashing the returned loops when they are coming back with who knows what and how much of it on them so I tend to just keep on looping and hoping they miss hit a return.  I'm the first to admit long pimples is my downfall. 

You reckon outlaw would be a fair bit easier than H2 in such a game?, I don't think I'd have any trouble adjusting to a different inverted rubber for a match or two if it was going to help me out
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 10:36am
Put two sheets of Peace Keeper OX on your blade. It will ignore most spin, blocks very well and will make bullets if you hit hard with it. The pips players like using your spin against you. PK will give them problems. I have a setup like that and it does work. Like you say, a tourney is not the place to learn how to play against pips.Smile
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 11:14am

You're already off to a good start with low throw H2.  On a stiff blade, H2 is very good for both looping and flat hitting.   However, BWII is for me better at  alternate looping and flat hitting, and it has significantly more flat hit kill speed than H2 or H2 NEO.   

I also think that thicker Carbon/Aralyte blades have the right mix of stiffness and yeild during looping while also having sufficient pointing accuracy when smashing floating but lower Long Pip returns.   The TBS ALC, Viscaria and Dawei Wavestone are all great choices but I am sure there are others.

If you don't have long pip players around, you can practice looping and then smashing against a chopper or just plain driving, pick hitting and smashing against chops and pushes bouncing more than net high. 

Galaxy T1 89 gm

FH: HRT Huaruite Wujilong 2 - Dragon 2 II, Max, Black

Donic Acuda S2, Max, Red
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 11:19am
Thanks for all the suggestions, I thought I would explain I really only need to gain about 2 points on average to be able to win most of these troublesome games, I'm not getting flogged by any stretch, but it's veeeeery hard work for me.

Meanwhile I've had an idea, I'm going to put in a order for a few unusual (for me) rubbers in order to learn both how to use them and hit against them. I'f a make up a blade with a long pimple to use and be used against while practicing it'll be a good thing for all the team members, since all of us coming from a club with no pimple players do badly against them. I'm pretty set on trying a 2.0mm 802-40, perhaps an OX rubber for those cases when nothing else is going to work for me and I need a last ditch desperado effort. So this leads me to ask what is the best cheap Chinese long pimple that gives the most wobble and reversal effects so I can practice against that

Edited by nicefrog - 07/10/2010 at 11:21am
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 12:26pm
Practicing against pimples and LP would be the best.
Galaxy T1 89 gm

FH: HRT Huaruite Wujilong 2 - Dragon 2 II, Max, Black

Donic Acuda S2, Max, Red
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 2:00pm
Put super glue on the top of the pips on PK. It is like a mirror. It reverses Everything. Smile
PK is very inexpensive. Good to try out different things.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 6:11pm

Train harder in order to keep up with the best.  Don't rely on equipment.

Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
culvch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote culvch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 10:35pm
Nicefrog,

I know it's frusfrating to play againt long pimple and even though you know you are better but lost because you just don't used to the way it's play. I ve gone through that also loosing 20 games (during 21 points time) straight to the same guy until I win.

What I ve learned is that you have to play more targetting the long pimple (I guy I lost to played handshake with long pimple for BH and pip in for FH). After sometime you will learn how to control the long pimple and that is where that guy will lost control. The basics are if you serve topspin, it will come back as backspin and if you hit backspin it will come back as topspin. Sometime the ball may wobble but after getting used to it when you have better timing you will have no problem.

Also try to serve no spin and long shot (with not much spin) to the long pimple and when they hit back just smash or loop back. If you serve heavy spin eg side heavy spin, when the ball comes back it will be with heavy spin and you may be difficult for you to smash or spin.

All long pimples play differently but the basics are the same. Overcoming it by understanding how to play and practice against them. Relying on the equipment will confuse yourself and not them as they are quite immune to your spin.

Hope it will help. 
CUL
STW 1Ply Hinoki C Pen
FH DHS PF4-50 (Red)
BH RITC 802-40 (Black)

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 12:08am
It's the oddballs that get you... just today I had a guy clearly below my level beat be due to his windsheild wiper grip and completely flat punch shots. I felt like an idiot but it happens. My suggestion is not to buy a new racket to hit with just against that style but buy *their* setup and have a friend block for you until you get used to the way the rubber behaves... I like to also try out the style myself... it helps me and you never know it might just take you to the drakside winning all the time! The irony is choppers never play other choppers but always play loopers. That means 99% of the time they have the style advantage.

But my overall tip for flat hitting against long pips is don't angle your racket down and hit hard straight through the ball... it always feels funny but every time I do this it works for me!

Edited by Thaidog - 07/11/2010 at 12:17am
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 12:28am
Just buy another setup like the one you are using. But on the BH slap an anti rubber.
Just the other day I watched a good pimple out player being made look like a beginner by my club mate who is using a butterfly super anti. The pimple guy lost 0-3. The tactic is that you simply put the ball back on the table using the anti until he made a mistake or you get an easy ball to put away.
Or you can blast your way against those LP players with your loop and drive, it can be done :)) you just need to pick your shots and not go all out attacking, push some heavy backspun balls to keep them moving forward and backward.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
tablet92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tablet92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 2:31am
Also, the more loops in a row you hit to long pimples, the more strange ball wiil comeback.. 
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 8:29am
Don't change setup because you have trouble with LP... Just hit with a person with LP and get used to it
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 10:38am
tacky rubber already has the great advantages against LP.

unlike grippy mechanical rubber, you can control spin against soft balls with tacky rubber - and while you are more affected by incoming spin on those balls you can "take over".

push or topspin short and then loopkill at the body when they reach over the table.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Totoro Totoro wrote:

Don't change setup because you have trouble with LP... Just hit with a person with LP and get used to it

+1.  The only way to play effectively against LP is to get used to their spin (or lack off).  I still have a lot of problem playing against them, but I find that the more I play against them, the better I am against them.
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 4:40pm
dont change your setup change your strategy. most lp players dont focus on attacking so use that to your advantage. dont try to kill them with every swing
bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2010 at 10:48pm
As a general rule, I dislike long pip players.  It's a very large disadvantage at the professional level to use long pips, but it can be a significant advantage at the intermediate/lower level.  If I were convinced defenders could still exist at the world class level without long pips, I would be entirely in favor of banning them completely.

That said, learning to play against long pips and anti spin does out weigh changing your setup to cope with another person's equipment.  There are generally two styles I see among long pip players:  1.  the heavy chopper and 2. the push/blocker

Against a long pip chopper, it's actually not too difficult to adjust.  Other than having to watch for 'dead floaters', it's pretty much the same as playing against any other chopper.  The 'drive one-drop one' tactic is usually quite effective, especially if you're always driving and dropping to their long pips side/backhand side so as to minimize their chances for a counter-attack.

The style that seems to screw intermediate players up though is the long pips twiddling push/blockers.  These players telegraph their strokes much less than a heavy chopper and usually give much less spin on their normal side shots.  It's a difficult style to adapt to because they're really riding your spin a lot of the time and not really doing anything themselves.  The one place I've found they're always weak in though is attacking pushes.  I'm sure there are some long pip blockers than excel at this, but I've never encountered one thus far.  They all prefer that either I make the first attack or they wait for a ball which is high enough to attack anywhere.  What I find that works for me against this type of player is to keep pushing to whichever side they're playing their long pips on.  On a short push, this type of player has a great deal of trouble creating a confusing shot or reversing much spin - rather they give you back 'dead' pushes.  Once you've forced the player into making this type of push, you're in control of the game and you can place the ball anywhere on the table.  The key here is not to kill the ball, but force your opponent out of position and then drive to the other side or straight into his body.  It takes some practice, but once you've got this down, they'll absolutely dread playing you.  Just remember, don't play their game when you're playing a push/blocker - that's exactly what they want.  If you sit there and try and drive every shot, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

A quick note about equipment:

I would never play a long pips player without a brand new ball with a very large and clear logo.  When you need to be able to read spin quickly, the last thing you want is to be sitting there wondering if you're looking at a logo standing still or a dirty ball spinning like mad.  Also, if you really don't want to adapt to the long pips style of play and want to alter your setup, try a hardbat.  Don't laugh - it's actually surprisingly effective.  Long pip players very often rely quite a bit on their opponent's spin and if you sit there and push/block their shots with a hardbat, they have a hard time winning.  If you have a long pip friend that beats you regularly, try a hardbat and don't attack, just sit there and block/chop and watch him go crazy having to do all the work himself for a change.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 12:38am

Edited by roundrobin - 10/29/2015 at 6:40pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 12:46am
Just because you can't beat long pips players, you place the blame on equipment.
You can't just give your buddy a racket with long pips and 'practice' with them to get better.

It sounds like you think pips players don't need any skill to use their pips.
You are also assuming that you know how to play with hardbat. Shocked

Edited by jt99sf - 07/12/2010 at 12:49am
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 1:02am
There are many different styles of Long Pimple users, attacking, chopping push,blockers . Some of the rubbers have 2.2 mm sponge down to none, the are flexy, hard ,soft, half long.
 When people say the could be in favour or banning Lp's I have to laugh, because they lost a game hahaha big deal. I don't like inverted players who are too fast or anti rubber players or whatever its just part of Table Tennis and part of the fun. I would be too bored with playing against one style I like the challenge and the differences.
I also believe Lp is not a plug and win rubber, it takes work. I changed to LP a few months ago and at times its a real weakness, but I like learning its potential so I have carried on using the CTT Pogo in OX
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
DanBrizVegas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanBrizVegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 1:30am
I find it amusing how little respect people have for long pip players here. the intricacies needed to be a good long pimple blocker and even chopper is huge - you need to be able to make a tiny adjustment for a hugely different shot. A GOOD long pip player - let me just say there is very few of us - needs to have a brilliant eye for spin and great touch, with a game that is a combination of made to distrupt your opposition as well as attack and punishing mistakes.

But seriously - i understand you have few players to practise against nicefrog - that makes playing pips a bit more difficult. the key is patience. if they're defensive - move them in and out, not side to side. if they play close to the table, serve long and flat, force them to use their spinny rubber and make the most of the spin they throw at you.

PM me if you need any tips, as long as you promise to forget them should you ever come up to Brisbane to play me and Boz ;)
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 9:33am
Even at our club we have very few Long pips players who chop. We have about 4-5 who most play push-block style. I personally am a chopper, but do tend to dabble with a blocking setup. Even I have players and styles I dislike and always lose to. I've usually noticed the players that whine and cry about my equipment are the ones that have always lost to me and don't want to improve their game. On the other hand I've also had players continuously play me to understand and finally have started to beat me convincingly. 

Regarding a new setup, it takes more work to understand something new and use it just one time. Rather just use your existing setup and improvise. I usually have a lot of problems with short pips-out players. Also relatively less spin-receptive inverted rubbers are very good to play against LPs.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
ryanp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 1:15pm
changing your equipment (that you are so used to) for playing against lp is the last thing you should do. and besides, any equipment you will use does not equate to a win. its the understanding, practice and tactics that wins against lp - nothing to do with your equipment. i find this 'changing equipment' very amusing. hehehe  

long live LPs!

Edited by ryanp - 07/12/2010 at 1:18pm
t05 fx, diamant & wing passion medium
bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Just because you can't beat long pips players, you place the blame on equipment.
You can't just give your buddy a racket with long pips and 'practice' with them to get better.

Read your first sentence again.  See the irony?
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2010 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by bravefest bravefest wrote:

Read your first sentence again.  See the irony?

You clearly have an answer to playing against long pips players, why do you want to ban them?
Hate the game, not the playas.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
wiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2010 at 3:55am
I also believe Lp is not a plug and win rubber, it takes work. I changed to LP a few months ago and at times its a real weakness, but I like learning its potential so I have carried on using the CTT Pogo in OX
bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2010 at 5:31am

You clearly have an answer to playing against long pips players, why do you want to ban them?
Hate the game, not the playas.

I understand how long pips work and I know how to play against them, that is true.  That doesn't mean I can always hit the shot I want to and I don't lose to lp players sometimes.  It's not so much a matter of 'I can't play against them' but rather something else:

Long pips really do confuse a lot of players and that's their entire point.  When it comes to using inverted, the point is to place the ball in a spot where the opponent cannot retrieve it or to hit it too fast.  Long pips provide a third option - confuse the opponent as to the spin on the ball.  At the pro level, this really doesn't work at all; but long pips do confuse many amateurs quite effectively.  I dislike the nature of that third option as I feel it only detracts from the game as a whole.  It's similar to why I don't want serves to be hidden.

One other thing - I really dislike playing against and watching long pip push/blocking games.  zzZZZzzZZZzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZZzZZZzzz.  I'd rather watch two loopers or one attacker one chopper every time.

Edited by bravefest - 07/13/2010 at 5:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic