Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Latika Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 7:25am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

if latika and kasumi basic are basically the same blade just different head sizes, how come kasumi is getting reviewed as a slow, nothing special blade, whereas latika is getting reviewed as powerful and good feel?

if they are really same wood plies, I like the smaller head size of kasumi better - compatible with my current blade head size.

Hmmm I haven't tried Kasumi Basic, since it's not attractive for my eyes.
The reason that I buy Latika is I like the metal logo on the handle.
I don't expect it to be that nice to play, powerful, has good feel.
Now I'm back using blade again.
I never reuse my old blades other than Violin. Even Acoustic now is history LOL
Latika is different, it's as powerful as ALC/TBS/H.long but has great feel.

Edited by peter79 - 07/19/2011 at 7:26am
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 7:31am
Forgot to mention, I have a large hand and long fingers, since the head size near the wing is wider than any other blades that I have tried. I can put my index finger inside the blade without moving it up. Surely this blade is designed for european players, if somebody buy it and sand the head size, I found it very wasteful Cry
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Forgot to mention, I have a large hand and long fingers, since the head size near the wing is wider than any other blades that I have tried. I can put my index finger inside the blade without moving it up. Surely this blade is designed for european players, if somebody buy it and sand the head size, I found it very wasteful Cry

Could you compare the Latika handle to another blade, please? For example, is it a similar size to the HK655? Or similar to a Stiga Legend handle?

I have a friend who, like you and I, has large hands. He's very tempted by this blade but has been very disappointed by Nittaku handles in the past.

Thanks!

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Could you compare the Latika handle to another blade, please? For example, is it a similar size to the HK655? Or similar to a Stiga Legend handle?

I have a friend who, like you and I, has large hands. He's very tempted by this blade but has been very disappointed by Nittaku handles in the past.

Thanks!

Don't worry about the handle size. It's much bigger than Hking 655. Bigger than most of butterfly FL handle.
Compared with Tenor FL handle, I like Latika FL handle better, it's as big but it's different.
Tenor FL handle is 23.5 mm thick but wider.
Latika FL handle is 24 mm thick but not as wide as Tenor.
So Latika feels more squared while Tenor it's more rectangular.

I just wonder why Ma Long didn't try to use this blade. It's an upgrade version of Acoustic in speed and power.

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Thanks!

Don't worry about the handle size. It's much bigger than Hking 655. Bigger than most of butterfly FL handle.
Compared with Tenor FL handle, I like Latika FL handle better, it's as big but it's different.
Tenor FL handle is 23.5 mm thick but wider.
Latika FL handle is 24 mm thick but not as wide as Tenor.
So Latika feels more squared while Tenor it's more rectangular.

I just wonder why Ma Long didn't try to use this blade. It's an upgrade version of Acoustic in speed and power.

Cool, thanks peter79.

Looks like this blade will probably suit him very well.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 11:51am
Sometimes we judge blade from the price and model. The more attractive/expensive the blade then we tend to use it as our main weapon.
It happens to me, I feel Violin is more special, more expensive, but it's slower.
I hope I can use Violin as my main weapon, but I have to play more rally point to win a point.
With Latika I can win easier with the same guy I play with.
And sometimes when we loose, we blame on equipment, not our self, and not praising our opponent who plays better than before.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 5:16pm
What happens if you play someone who is stronger than you? when you loose, do you make more points with Latika or with Violin?
I ask because it happened to me that when I played with M. Maze, which is way faster than my usual blade, I was able to win easier against weaker opponents but I lost worse against stronger players.

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 5:34pm
a good loss  is still a loss. So why not use the blade that makes your wins easier. A blade that makes your wins harder, would you expect it to convert some of your losses to wins?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 5:58pm
A close win is also still a win.
What I meant is that with M. Maze and T-7 I was able to smash high balls past my opponents like with no other blade. However, against stronger opponents, I was struggling because of the reduced control. So I settled for a slower blade. This means that sometimes I can't do a 3rd ball kill against weaker players, but also that I have more chances against players that are my level.
Join the Nexy Clan!
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 11:28pm
Against a higher level player when you use slower blade, you can at least return the ball/block his loop, stay in the point longer, hoping he make his mistake, but you can't score a winner as easy as using faster blade.
It's a dilema for me too, I also thinking as you do, whether to use slow blade against a better player.

I use Latika against a much better player than me, when i use Violin with H3N, I can't win him a game.
I can win him with Violin with Hexer which I do more 3rd ball attack to win a game.
The last meeting I was 0-3 down and be able to win a game with latika with H3N.
I want to use H3N, so I need a faster blade with good feel.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 12:47am
How I love to read complimenatry comments about items that I liked very much myself! My Barwell is 80 gr only and since then my 88 gr Latika is too heavy for me with my current rubbers and shoulder injury:( 
I'm about happy that Peter push this greatly undervalued blade into the wide TT masses! Great job!    
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 12:57am
Latika is definitely an underrated blade.  It is totally worth a try.  It has plenty power and matches well with several different rubbers - Chinese, Euro, or Jap.  Yet, the best of this blade is to block and smash - IMO.  The feel when blocking and smashing the ball of this blade is awesome.  However, what I don't like about this blade is overhead size since it makes the blade head heavy when I pair it with Tenergy.  And the Flared handle of Latika is one of the best Flared handles out there.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:20am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

How I love to read complimenatry comments about items that I liked very much myself! My Barwell is 80 gr only and since then my 88 gr Latika is too heavy for me with my current rubbers and shoulder injury:( 
I'm about happy that Peter push this greatly undervalued blade into the wide TT masses! Great job!    

If you feel 88 gr is heavy, you may try Latika Light which is about 80 gr as well Wink

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:42am
Ups, Latika Light is made for junior players.
The head size is only 154x148 mm and the handle is 97x23 mm
Latika has 158x152 mm and the handle is 102x24 mm

@ Thaile: Latika FL handle is one of the most comfortable because most of the blade handle length is 100 mm, Latika is 102 mm, it's 2 mm longer.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:50am
After owning 80+ blades so far. Only Latika which feels like it's custom made specially for me.
The balance of the blade, the handle which is not small not too big, just fit perfectly when I hold it.
Some the handle is slimmer, head size not big enough.
Hurricane king 655 is good, I wish I can have Hurricane King with Latika Handle.
Tenor handle is also big but too flat.
Violin/Acoustic L-sized handle the head size is not big enough, handle is ok, as good as Latika.

Edited by peter79 - 07/20/2011 at 2:02am
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:56am
Actually, if you feel Latika is heavy, you should try Kasumi Basic.
I know the name is unfortunate, but according to Nittaku it's exactly the same blade with a bit smaller head: 156x152 mm instead of 158x152 mm. It is also 3g lighter on average.
Notwithstanding, there is little love on this forum for poor Kasumi Basic. Thumbs Down
I haven't tried either, but I suppose that, due to the bigger head, Latika is more head heavy than Kasumi Basic.

Join the Nexy Clan!
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 2:17am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Actually, if you feel Latika is heavy, you should try Kasumi Basic.
I know the name is unfortunate, but according to Nittaku it's exactly the same blade with a bit smaller head: 156x152 mm instead of 158x152 mm. It is also 3g lighter on average.
Notwithstanding, there is little love on this forum for poor Kasumi Basic. Thumbs Down
I haven't tried either, but I suppose that, due to the bigger head, Latika is more head heavy than Kasumi Basic.

I found my setup is not that head heavy, more to balanced side, only slightly head heavy.
Blade 93 Gr, rubber 90 gr. which is 45 gr per rubber.
I can't imagine if I use 40 gr rubber on Latika, it will feel handle heavy.
Kazumi Basic head size is smaller than Latika, which is only suitable for heavy rubbers.
Light rubber will make the blade handle heavy.

Kong Ling Hui 5 ply blade has a compact head size, because it's designed to be paired with Tackfire Special which is a heavy rubbers.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 2:24am
Both my friend and I each purchased a Latika. Big smile

I hope we find it fits our games as well as it does your, peter79.

I think it will since I've only heard good things about this blade, and I love the fact that it isn't obscenely expensive. Clap

Hearing you talk about the handle alone has me excited to try it. LOL

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 2:35am

Both my friend and I each purchased a Latika. Big smile

I hope we find it fits our games as well as it does your, peter79.

I think it will since I've only heard good things about this blade, and I love the fact that it isn't obscenely expensive. Clap

Hearing you talk about the handle alone has me excited to try it. LOL

After you try it, you may post your impression of this blade in this thread Big smile
I just can't keep silence/selfish not letting everybody know how good this blade is.
I hope it will become a classic blade like Korbel, it plays much better than Korbel anyway.
Korbel FL handle really terrible but butterfly still keep producing it, it means it sell well until now.
Who knows Latika will outsell Korbel soon LOL

Edited by peter79 - 07/20/2011 at 2:36am
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 2:42am
Maybe I'm repeating myself but can you compare the balance of violin and latika with the same rubbers? If you also could throw acoustic in the comparison that would be great.
Join the Nexy Clan!
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 2:57am

Maybe I'm repeating myself but can you compare the balance of violin and latika with the same rubbers? If you also could throw acoustic in the comparison that would be great.

What I compare is Latika vs Acoustic L-sized and Violin L-sized.
Since the Violin/Acoustic L-sized head size is much smaller than Latika, I must make the rubber heavier by adding more layers of glue.
As a comparsion:

Violin L-sized 88 gr
Rubber: 92 Gr
Total setup 180 Gr
The rubber weight 4 gr heavier than the blade to make it slightly head heavy.

While Latika 93 Gr
Rubbers: 90 Gr
Athough the rubber is 3 gr lighter than the blade it's already feel slightly head heavy.

Acoustic L-sized 95 Gr
Rubbers: 92 Gr
With this setup, it feels handle heavy, if I want to make it head heavy, I must add 3-4 gr of glue which make total setup 191 gr Cry
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 3:06am
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll weigh my own rubbers next time I unglue, so I will be able to compare.
Correct me if I'm wrong but L-size only means that the handle is thicker, whereas the head size is the same as in the regular versions, isn't it?
In this case, it looks like your Acoustic L is rather heavy!
Join the Nexy Clan!
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 3:11am
The handle is Thicker but the head size is smaller than regular version Cry
Most of Acoustic L-sized weight 90-95 Gr
Yeah mine is the heaviest LOL
I have unused 93 gr though.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Yakult View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yakult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 3:27am
I agree, Latika is a really good blade with its large and comfortable FL handle. Thumbs Up
I have been using it nearly 2 months now and pairing in with Acuda S1 on FH , Tenergy64 on BH.
Will order another Latika for my back up because I often hit the table during matches
defense alpha

bluefire m1 2.0

grass d.tecs ox

vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 3:44am

In my opinion, it's head size that makes Latika some kind of outstanding blade. It helps blocking a lot. Kasumi Basic should be not so good in this part, I guess. I never felt that Latika could be head heavy, but with T05*2 everything is possible.  
And Latika ST handle  - is very very comfy!

Edited by vic#74 - 07/20/2011 at 3:48am
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 12:16pm
has it other model of Lattika? Lattika light?
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

Yes, Nittaku came out with Latika Light few months ago.  I never played with it but I was told it is not the same as Latika in terms of power and feel.

scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by ThaiLe ThaiLe wrote:

Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

Yes, Nittaku came out with Latika Light few months ago.  I never played with it but I was told it is not the same as Latika in terms of power and feel.

In the web of Nittaku I haven´t see lattika light.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 2:13pm
It's transliterated as "ratikaraito". It's a junior blade, both the head size and the handle are smaller.
Here it is (awfully long link): http://www15.j-server.com/LUCNITTAKU/ns/tl.cgi/http%3a//www.nittaku.com/products/racket/ne6871.html?SLANG=ja&TLANG=en&XMODE=0&XCHARSET=x-sjis

EDIT: added link

Edited by arg0 - 07/20/2011 at 6:37pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 11:25pm
My 3rd generation outlaw crack again, no more outlaw for me. Now I use Roxon 500 pro on Backhand again, curious how it plays compared to outlaw and how fast is it on Latika compared to Violin and H.king.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic