Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 2010 Korean Open...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
TaFei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 6:56am

I must admit I never followed Shen Yanfei until today.

Her close table control and attack succeeded in pushing Feng Tienwei away from the table, the key to Shen's win.

Shen was awesome in an awesome match.

She has made a fan of me.

BTW her forehand makes a loud sound. Does anyone know what rubber she uses?

Sponsored Links

DaHobbit View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaHobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 7:26am
Hyuk is teh beast! Vladi's having a really hard time :/
Zhang Jike and Li Ping and Ma Long fan!

Blade: Xiom Fuga FL
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2
BH: Donic Coppa JO Gold 2.0
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 7:38am
3-2 To Samsonov now, great match.. where is Vladi's coach though?

Edited by riker71 - 08/15/2010 at 7:41am
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
DaHobbit View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaHobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 7:50am
7th game!

liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 7:56am
Congrats to Samsonov  =]
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 7:59am
Brilliant match, great to see these 2 in a final. Samsonov is supreme against defenders. Joo is an amazing player.
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:05am
Great match for sure... I was supporting Joo, but Samsonov also played great and as riker71 said Samsonov is very good against defenders...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
lild100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lild100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:26am

Korea Open 2010 - Timo Boll vs SALIFOU

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:28am
Originally posted by TaFei TaFei wrote:

I must admit I never followed Shen Yanfei until today.

Her close table control and attack succeeded in pushing Feng Tienwei away from the table, the key to Shen's win.

Shen was awesome in an awesome match.

She has made a fan of me.

BTW her forehand makes a loud sound. Does anyone know what rubber she uses?

i think she's playing with pips on the fh and maybe hardbat, as well.  she used to play doubles with GAO JUN who's also a pips-out hardbat player.

also, correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't remember seeing her ever win a pro tour event before in singles.  this is probably the first time...

Edited by takaaki - 08/15/2010 at 8:30am
takkugoku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takkugoku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:29am
Originally posted by DaHobbit DaHobbit wrote:

Hi there,

Just for the record, Se Hyuk is his first name (consdered by Koreans to be one single entity, not first name + middle name of sort. So it is improper to call him Se or Hyuk) and Ju is his last name.   Koreans put their last name before the first name .... i mean it to be a joke of course ...  Ju (Kim, Lee, Park, Choi, etc mostly single syllable) is the family name (equivalent of our "last name") is called first before his personal name ( // our "first name") in the Korean order.  In the process of "westernization" over the past century, Koreans finally learned to put their first names first .... again this is a joke folks ... thus Sehyuk Ju or Se Hyuk Ju (because in Korean writing, Se and Hyuk form separate "characters").

But nowadays a trend is set to call a person the way he or she is called in his or her native way  Thus Ju Se Hyuk  Lee Myung Bak (S. Korean president) Ban Ki-Moon (current UN Secretary)  etc.  Kim Yuna (yun-ah) the Oympic figure skating queen, was long recognized as Yuna Kim, Yun-A Kim, etc.  BTW, Koreans are not used to be refered to by their last name only  "Kim says ....",  "Lee went..". these definately sound weird to a native Korean ear. Either first name ("Se Hyuk played brilliantly.") or full name ("Ju Se Hyuk is an excellent defense player") sound proper. 

No offense to the person quoted.... just to help at least some of you to understand how it works.
TTNoobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTNoobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:34am
That was an impressive tournament for Shen Yanfei,  played the qualifiers, then beat WR #4 and 2!
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

timo played so bad, it was almost like someone payed him to lose. do people bet on ping pong?

betting...  i'm sure they do, cuz gambling on sports is legal in most countries.

as for boll, judging by his facial expression, he looked flat to me, like he wasn't really ready to play today.

he's had a long break--maybe that's what did him in.

also, he seemed to have a problem with joo's pips.  i wonder if joo has changed the pips since the last time they played.

anyhow, i honestly think that boll is waaaay overranked at no. 2 in the world!!  i think anybody in the top-10 can beat him.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:46am
joo - samsonov...

great match!!  very entertaining to watch.  i was expecting vladi to win, cuz i watched his matches against gao and oh and he looked really good.

as for joo, he played really well, but i think he just flat out ran out of gas in the 6th set and didn't have anything left for the finish.

i feel like i've seen this on a coupla occasions so i think now he's just not physically capable of going 7 sets against those top-10 players.
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:58am
Incredible match! I'm sad for Joo but I must say that Samsonov was playing really well today. Actually both played well but Samsonov had a little something extra that brought him the first place. Though Joo had home fan support but Samsonov was really consistent today plus his touch is really good. So congratulations to Samsonov ! Good luck for Joo next time.
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
DaHobbit View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaHobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 8:59am
Originally posted by takkugoku takkugoku wrote:

Originally posted by DaHobbit DaHobbit wrote:

Hi there,

Just for the record, Se Hyuk is his first name (consdered by Koreans to be one single entity, not first name + middle name of sort. So it is improper to call him Se or Hyuk) and Ju is his last name.   Koreans put their last name before the first name .... i mean it to be a joke of course ...  Ju (Kim, Lee, Park, Choi, etc mostly single syllable) is the family name (equivalent of our "last name") is called first before his personal name ( // our "first name") in the Korean order.  In the process of "westernization" over the past century, Koreans finally learned to put their first names first .... again this is a joke folks ... thus Sehyuk Ju or Se Hyuk Ju (because in Korean writing, Se and Hyuk form separate "characters").

But nowadays a trend is set to call a person the way he or she is called in his or her native way  Thus Ju Se Hyuk  Lee Myung Bak (S. Korean president) Ban Ki-Moon (current UN Secretary)  etc.  Kim Yuna (yun-ah) the Oympic figure skating queen, was long recognized as Yuna Kim, Yun-A Kim, etc.  BTW, Koreans are not used to be refered to by their last name only  "Kim says ....",  "Lee went..". these definately sound weird to a native Korean ear. Either first name ("Se Hyuk played brilliantly.") or full name ("Ju Se Hyuk is an excellent defense player") sound proper. 

No offense to the person quoted.... just to help at least some of you to understand how it works.
No problem, thank You for making it clear to me.

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 9:00am
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

timo played so bad, it was almost like someone payed him to lose. do people bet on ping pong?

betting...  i'm sure they do, cuz gambling on sports is legal in most countries.

as for boll, judging by his facial expression, he looked flat to me, like he wasn't really ready to play today.

he's had a long break--maybe that's what did him in.

also, he seemed to have a problem with joo's pips.  i wonder if joo has changed the pips since the last time they played.

anyhow, i honestly think that boll is waaaay overranked at no. 2 in the world!!  i think anybody in the top-10 can beat him.

I think he's still playing with Tibhar Grass Dtecs based on his picture which was posted on ITTF website
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
stealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 10:08am
i read joo se hyuk played once curl p1r. since when does he play grass dtecs actually? and didn´t he play grass before? i played both rubbers for my own. dtecs pimples are softer. did he play hard pimples too?
sadra121 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadra121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 10:23am
Thank you for all 
lild100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lild100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 10:54am

Korea Open 2010 - Vladimir Samsonov vs Oh Sang Eun

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 10:58am
i just saw that whole episode in the feng - wang match.

first of all, what exactly did wang do?  unfortunately, the camera crew didn't get back from the slo-mo replay quick enough, so there's no view of the serve.

and to complicate things, it didn't appear that the umpire gave wang an explanation when she asked for one.  now, i know that the player is not really entitled to an explanation, but players are not robots and when you get faulted for something, you wanna know why.

that said, when wang blew up, what she said to that lady was outrageous and totally uncalled for.

the only explanation i can come up with for the lack of negative response from the crowd is that they didn't hear what she said, or if they heard, they didn't understand.

she should have been unceremoniously thrown out of the match and, for that matter, thrown out of the hall for what she said.

the umpire was right to give that game to feng, so it was a shame that she herself was thrown out.  but, if you let wang continue to play, then that was probably necessary to avoid further confrontation.  anyhow, i hope to god they told her that she did the right thing...

also, apparently, that ump gave feng the 1st point in the next game, but the new ump rescinded that order.

i really think the ittf needs to rethink the service rule or at least how they are going to adjudicate it.

i just don't think it's right to fault someone without a warning.  and i think when there is a warning the ump should give an explanation.  perhaps to facilitate the explanation for non-native english speaker umps (which, incidently most are), the ittf should come up with some standardized hand signals, like in other sports, so that non-native english speaking umps don't have to fumble around trying to explain something to a non-native english speaking player.

anyhow, i think what wang did was totally wrong, even if she was justified.  so i hope that the ittf will suspend her from her next event, which would be the china open later on this week, or, at the very least, they should fine her.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 11:12am
Joo Vs Timo was a great game! well played by Joo, he entertained the crowd !
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 11:25am
Is it just me or did Oh switch to the Maze blade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMnnbXYiZQ

Check at 3:44
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 11:50am
I forgot to take my printed map with me and walked an hour to a different gym in the humidity. by the time I got to the right gym, I was soaked and I already missed Joo/Boll match. 

Ryujun77 hooked me up with seats right next to the court. (Thanks Penholder Ryu and Oongsuh) Still couldn't hear what any of the players say to themselves or umps, but had the best view of the match. After the mens doubles finals was over, Bastian Steger and Ryu S M were jawing about a point in the match. Korea claims the ball was a double hit and Lee politely hit the ball a slow popup to return it, but the umpire did not call the end of point, so Germany smashed and got that point. Ryu and Steger were talking not 20 meters from me and I couldn't hear a word. There was too much music blasting.  Joo S H had some amazing rallies with offense to win Game 3 and 4 at game point. Too bad he couldn't buy a point to start the 7th game. He was down like 0-5 or so before he got a point. I tried to cheer for Korea vs Germany in the mens doubles and even shouted "Wunderbar!" or stuff like that when Korea made good plays, just to let the Germans know there were others cheering against them. The Koreans had an all Korean affair for the womens doubles and the choppers won hands down. The womans final was interesting. I saw only the last 5 minutes of it. China/Spain woman (ranked 30ish) mowed down a field inluding some top ten ranked players to reach the finals. She was up 8-3 in the 7th game and decided to go nice and let Singapore get ahead 9-8. She went back up 10-9 and let her have duece. All kind of mania ensued with wicked loop to loop rallies at warp speed. China/Spain got the luck of the net twice in those exchanges to win. What a victory for her. She will certainly move up a few spots in the rankings. Wins over world no 2 and 5 should do that trick nicely.

That was my first ITTF event (or any semi-pro event for that matter) that I ever went to and it was a memorable one. I went out for some Kimbab during the Womans final and came back to the upper level seats. A group of young men promptly recognized me and called me by my first name. There are entirely too many Koreans who know me. I only know a fraction of them. Heck, when I had courtside seats, the gent behind me said some nice words to me about my TT game. I didn't recognize him, but he said he saw me play in Gwachoen tourney a few weeks back. I think I like Korea the more I stay there. Everyone is uber polite.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Chen4ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chen4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 12:12pm
Come on guys, give us what we've been waiting for
I have not seen the final yet, i wanna download it and see it the best way
Great job for the other matchs
Thank you so much
dimikkio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimikkio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

joo - samsonov...

great match!!  i think he just flat out ran out of gas in the 6th set and didn't have anything left for the finish.

i feel like i've seen this on a coupla occasions so i think now he's just not physically capable of going 7 sets against those top-10 players.
Looks like that. I also thought Joo went down physically towards the end. It was difficult for me to choose who to support... Usually I am for Joo, but this time he was playing against the only top player from my former country. Smile So I supported sportsmanship and beauty of table tennis, which have defenitely won. Smile
Hallmark Aurora off/def/Donic Coppa Х1 Turbo Platin 2.0/ Joola Octopus 0.5
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 1:16pm
yeah, i think joo needs to start looping more and chopping less and perhaps hitting more with the pips.  cuz whenever he plays those guys that are above him, it looks like 6 games is about as far as he can go physically.

and as far as who to support, though i'm not from either belarus or korea, i really like samsonov, but i also wanted to see a korean win the korean open, so i, too, was torn as to who to support, so i just enjoyed the game for what it was, like you.  though i did think from the beginning that vladi was gonna win, cuz he looked awfully good in the earlier rounds.

Edited by takaaki - 08/15/2010 at 1:23pm
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 1:25pm
yes oh did switch to mmaze

Edited by walleyeguy7 - 08/15/2010 at 1:26pm
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 1:26pm
I'm loving the Korean crowd. They're so into it. Smile

While watching the Qatar Open, for example, I had wondered if any other human beings were present besides the players and umpires. Ermm

quakerroatmeal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quakerroatmeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 1:43pm
Korean likes playing American pop music? I think I heard them play Kesha - tik tok song about 15 times the 4-6 matches I watched.

Also at these events are there no air condition? Is that normal? No way I'd be able to sit there with the humidity.

I like the way samsonov handled himself against joo. Changed up the pace if all out attack isn't working.

Edited by quakerroatmeal - 08/15/2010 at 1:45pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 2:43pm
  short pips in her fh and smooth in her bh same style like wujiaduo,lijiawei
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic