Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Palio Macro Era (42.5, max) backhand review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palio Macro Era (42.5, max) backhand review
    Posted: 08/19/2010 at 2:01pm
I finally found the another favorite BH rubber for myself to replace the expensive Tenergy 5. I have tried more than 20 rubbers in the past 2 years and this is the one! I will try to compare this rubber with the Tenergy 5 (2.1mm), Nimbus regular (2.0mm), and sriver EL (2.1)(no speed glue).

Background:
USATT rating~1800-2000 offensive shakehand player with stronger forehand, I mainly use Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon blade, Neo TG3 on FH. Other similar blades I used were BTY TBS or ALC.

BH rubbers I have tried: Mark V, Sriver EL, FX, Gambler outlaw, Nimbus regular, Stiga Neo, Neo sound, Tibhar Genius,a few Friendship 729 models, Venus, Neo H3, TG3, Tenergy 5, 25, etc...

Review:
My favorite BH rubbers were Sriver EL (used for years) before glue ban and then the Tenergy 5 (used for 4-5 months)

The bads: Sriver EL is too slow without glue, not spinny for pushes, and Tenergy 5 is just too expensive ($56 a piece OMG!)

OK, here is the review:

Cost around $25 to $30 USD, Chinese Brand and Made in Germany Tensor Rubber. The top sheet looks similar to Nimbus's, the same kind of red color you see from German rubbers. It's slightly tacky similar to Tenergy but softer. The Sponge is dense and yellow, the weight is average, lighter than Tenergy. I use max (looks like 2.2mm) with Butterfly Clean Chack water glue

Speed (flat hit, smashes): tenergy>Palio> Nimbus > Sriver EL
Spin (loops): tenergy> Palio> Nimbus> Sriver EL
Spin (pushes): Tenergy= Palio> Nimbus >Sriver
Control: Palio!! >>> Nimbus > Tenergy >Sriver EL
Throw Angle: Similar to Tenergy and Nimbus.
Durability: The sponge is dense and the top sheet is similar to       Nimbus, I predict its durability to be above average.

Fault tolerance: This is the area the Palio shines above others, I feel like my backhand is already more consistent because it's so easy to control and spin to ball.

Power: Tenergy> Palio > Nimbus> Sriver

Recommended blades: Ma Lin Carbon, TBS, ALC, YEO, etc.

easy to Flip?: Palio> Sriver>Tenergy> Nimbus>
Easy to Loop?: Palio > Tenergy > Nimbus > Sriver
good for flat hitter?: Palio > Sriver= Tenergy = Nimbus
pushes: Palio is great at returning serves, it's not too spinny or fast but it is just right at returning serves or open loop.
Blocking: blocking is just great just like other German made tensor rubbers!

I recommend you to try one of this Palio Macro Era, if you like Nimbus or Tenergy 5 for your Backhand.

Yasaka Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2
BH: Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm
USATT:1876
My Feedback!

Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2010 at 2:06pm
good review man.

Edited by liulin04 - 08/19/2010 at 3:23pm
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2010 at 2:23pm
I used PME 42.5* for a long time.. it's a great rubber at a fantastic price. Very crisp, nice pop, low throw, and tons of spin. Boingy on touch shots, though. Shrinks quite a bit after being cut, and that's using glue sheets; no glue. I left it for Palio Blitz, mainly due to PME's sensitivity to incoming spin, and found that Blitz was better in nearly every regard while being all but impervious to incoming spin.
BBC, SP, LP
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2010 at 2:25pm
Thanks for your input, but I would like to know how about its durability. BTW, in my opinion T05 and any Nimbus cant be compared as a "BH Rubber"; they´re just the opposite
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2010 at 2:27pm
I concur with Nathan. If you played with T-05 and you want the rubber which is a bit closer to it than PME 42.5 get Blitz for your backhand - it will play even better than PME 42.5 almost in all aspects. Of course, for my style PME 47.5 is even better - but that is something I would advise for FH.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic