Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Vega Pro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Vega Pro
    Posted: 08/20/2010 at 11:57am
I received a red sheet of Xiom Vega Pro max for free from our local table tennis shop (http://www.errateam.ch/webshop/) in order to test it.

I guess some of you have read quite a bit about this rubber, but I haven't until very recently. They told me that the rubber is supposed to be similar to a T05. I've heard about many rubbers that they were supposed to be T05 rivals, but to be honest, none could match my expectations. So I was not to thrilled about their promise.

I've played with T05 on both sides for quite some time and think that it is a rubber with outstanding characteristics and advantages, but in particular its sensitivity to incoming spin frequently embarrassed me.

T05 is the market leader in my opinion for non-Chinese rubbers, and while some may not like it, its performance outreaches any other rubber. I personally realized that I perform better with something a bit less extreme, and recently tested rubbers like T05 FX, Mark V HPS and Rakza7. They all worked very well for me, but something simply did not feel right.

Now to the Vega Pro. I must admit, if there has ever been a rubber which resembles the T05, than it is the Vega Pro.

Cutting it short, the Vega Pro is a T05, but a tad slower, with a bit less spin (but more spin than a T64 in my opinion), a bit lower throw (but higher than a T64) and much less sensitivity to incoming spin (even less than the T64).

I'm certainly not saying that the Vega Pro is a better rubber than the T05 because I think the T05 is still a tad ahead in terms of speed, spin and catapult, but the Vega Pro is somehow what I was hoping for with the T05 FX. The Vega Pro is a rubber which resembles the T05, but has more control overall and in particular more control in the short game. I in principle have learnt not to say that something is better than something else, but in my opinion the Vega Pro has a better short game than the T05.

Summarizing, the Vega Pro is certainly an outstanding rubber. I'm fully convinced that anybody who loves the T05 but has a level below let's say 2200 (still not very familiar with the USATT rating) should in principle use the Vega Pro instead of the T05. I think that in particular those who are torn between the T05 and the T64 should give the Vega Pro a try. If money is an issue (or an aversion towards Butterfly), then the Vega Pro might be your T05 replacement as well.

Let's see who disagrees and in which respect... I can already guess some Wink

By the way, here is a picture:

Edited by High_Arc - 08/20/2010 at 12:30pm
Sponsored Links

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2010 at 12:11pm
What's the weight difference?
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

What's the weight difference?

My Vega Pro (red, max) is 46 gr precisely cut to my MJ blade (not streched or anything).
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2010 at 12:41pm
Thats good to hear, i've just ordered a 2mm vega pro along with a 2.1 T05. I'm gonna try them on a samsonov alpha. Cant wait to try :) 
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2010 at 1:17pm
@High_Arc: It's funny that there is a thread going about whom we tend to agree with the most. I've decided to steer clear of that thread for various reasons, but I will say that if I were to comprise a list of those with whom I frequently agree regarding equipment, then you would be near the top of that list. Smile

In some of my explanations of Vega Pro, I'm fairly certain I've used precisely the same language as you. Given the uniqueness of Tenergy, I've come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for it. That is, no company makes a re-branded version of the exact same technology (as is the case with some other rubbers). However, there are alternatives to Tenergy. That is, although different in their composition and characteristics, there are rubbers that can perform in equally satisfying ways. One may lose some of the advantages of Tenergy in the process, but they will gain other advantages. In short, Vega Pro is such a rubber, IMO.

Especially for "lower level" players, it is an excellent alternative.

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

@High_Arc: It's funny that there is a thread going about whom we tend to agree with the most. I've decided to steer clear of that thread for various reasons, but I will say that if I were to comprise a list of those with whom I frequently agree regarding equipment, then you would be near the top of that list. Smile

In some of my explanations of Vega Pro, I'm fairly certain I've used precisely the same language as you. Given the uniqueness of Tenergy, I've come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for it. That is, no company makes a re-branded version of the exact same technology (as is the case with some other rubbers). However, there are alternatives to Tenergy. That is, although different in their composition and characteristics, there are rubbers that can perform in equally satisfying ways. One may lose some of the advantages of Tenergy in the process, but they will gain other advantages. In short, Vega Pro is such a rubber, IMO.

Especially for "lower level" players, it is an excellent alternative.

Thanks Anton!

Well I'll search your impressions since I'm curious to read them which I have not done so far.
Xriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 12:47am
have u treid the vega elite?? i have tried Vega asia and i must say it very similar to t05 in terms of speed ans spin but i find asia to have alot more control then t05...
A.T.M
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 1:38am
@High_Arc, did you play with Vega Europe? Howz the spin & speed of Pro compared to Europe? 
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 3:35am
I have to disagree with you because I don't consider Vega Pro such a good rubber considering its price. Big smile
First I want to say that I'm just a basement player and my conclusions are based on my level of play. I tested on YEO, Stiga V1 and Donic Carbo OFF-, on the latter I liked the best.
I tried a pair of Vega Pro in MAX and I'll write first what I didn't liked:
- for serves it wasn't even close to what i could do with some Chinese rubbers, in order to get the spin I want I have to dig the ball in the rubber which makes the serve long
- the topsheet feels slick, there are moments when the ball slips on the rubber and fell down, maybe this is due to the fact that sometimes I'm brushing the ball
- when I hit hard it bottoms out easily, even on the BH, which makes it unpredictable
- it's not easy to open against backspin, for me it doesn't grip the ball enough unless I hit at the right angle
- when I push I have to use only the topsheet, otherwise the ball pops up and is easily killed if it's not going over the table
- I can't produce so wicked spin as I can with Chinese rubbers

What I like:
- better control over table compared with other tensors
- at medium speed strokes the ball goes where I want
- good for flips
- good for blocks
- easy to use far from table

I haven't played with T05, I played only against it and I got my ass kicked real bad. I'm no fan of Bty products and I'm not using them, but I try to be realistic with what a rubber can or can't do.

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 4:04am
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Summarizing, the Vega Pro is certainly an outstanding rubber. I'm fully convinced that anybody who loves the T05 but has a level below let's say 2200 (still not very familiar with the USATT rating) should in principle use the Vega Pro instead of the T05. 
You may be refering to me, bud.

I agree with HIgh arc most the time but here on this particular point I feel the "convinced" part is a bit to emphasized.

You did then soften it with the in "principle" part which was nice.

I am always happy to hear another review about rubbers that most tried reviewed and moved on from, but I will not agree that this rubber is better than 05 for lower level players on the forehand.  

Less spin without a doubt, less speed some have argued, but the control arguement is getting old.  Yes if you are a "lower" level what ever that point is, you should use short pimples because even $10 chinese tacky rubber is too hard to control for somebody who doesn't understand spin or give time to adjust. 

The price difference has increased for sure since we posted our reviews of vega and it looks a bit more promising for this but I still would stick to my 05 on fh and find the vega to stiff for backhand and dwelly, I have moved on from any tenergy for now!

Nice review, and lets see the next youtube vid hay? 
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 4:42am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Summarizing, the Vega Pro is certainly an outstanding rubber. I'm fully convinced that anybody who loves the T05 but has a level below let's say 2200 (still not very familiar with the USATT rating) should in principle use the Vega Pro instead of the T05. 
You may be refering to me, bud.

I agree with HIgh arc most the time but here on this particular point I feel the "convinced" part is a bit to emphasized.

You did then soften it with the in "principle" part which was nice.

I am always happy to hear another review about rubbers that most tried reviewed and moved on from, but I will not agree that this rubber is better than 05 for lower level players on the forehand.  

Less spin without a doubt, less speed some have argued, but the control arguement is getting old.  Yes if you are a "lower" level what ever that point is, you should use short pimples because even $10 chinese tacky rubber is too hard to control for somebody who doesn't understand spin or give time to adjust. 

The price difference has increased for sure since we posted our reviews of vega and it looks a bit more promising for this but I still would stick to my 05 on fh and find the vega to stiff for backhand and dwelly, I have moved on from any tenergy for now!

Nice review, and lets see the next youtube vid hay? 

i was certainly not referring to you. first of all i would guess that your level is higher than the mentioned one (probably higher than mine as well), second i think that the t05 really suits your game (in particular considering these high arching side spin balls, which are probably quite a bit higher quality with a t05).

i see that i was perhaps a bit too harsh with my last statement, however i actually meant to be a bit harsh to get some controversy. and i honestly think that the difference between the t05 and the vega pro are small enough that it doesn't make much sense to go for a t05, which is more than twice as expensive.

considering the control argument, it may be getting old to some extent. nevertheless i feel that it is justified here. i would assume (i am convinced Wink) that the extra bit of spin you get from a t05 does not compensate for the 'control difference' for most players not competing at the highest level, me included of course. this extra rotation (and extra speed) of the ball probably matters at the top, but for me there is more than enough spin with the vega pro. as i've said, i think it is spinnier than a t64, which is considered to be a very spinny rubber.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 4:45am
Originally posted by saif saif wrote:

@High_Arc, did you play with Vega Europe? Howz the spin & speed of Pro compared to Europe? 

not yet. i have one sheet of the vega europe lying on my desk, but since i'll play in a tournament next weekend and have some league matches the following week i will not test it soon. perhaps somebody else knows more about it.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 8:10am
HOw many hours have used the vega pro?  Because I was very impressed also on the first day in particular and thought I had found my 05 substitute.  But in about a week it started to become too noticable for me focus on spin.

Just as a player can win by speed a player can win by spin and This rubber is not the one for the spin player.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

HOw many hours have used the vega pro?  Because I was very impressed also on the first day in particular and thought I had found my 05 substitute.  But in about a week it started to become too noticable for me focus on spin.

Just as a player can win by speed a player can win by spin and This rubber is not the one for the spin player.

I've used it for about six hours (three trainings) when I wrote the initial post and for about eight hours by now. Still like it very much. Usually I've formed my opinion after that amount of time and rarely have to change it. Next weekend however I'll find out how it performs for me in competition (and also the H3 Neo on my forehand).

I understand that spin is very important for you and the T05 has to offer a bit more spin.

However, neglecting tacky Chinese rubbers, I have the impression that the Vega Pro is about the second 'spinniest' rubber just behind the T05 (and the T25 which I hate anyway) and it seems to me that you would put quite many other rubbers in between. If I assume correctly, which (non tacky) rubbers would you say have more spin than the Vega Pro? 
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 4:45pm
Expect a massive drop in performance within next two sessions(at least 50%) after third session it will become anti. I guarantee that by fourth session your vega pro will self-destruct,damage your blade and burn your hand.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by prott.co.uk prott.co.uk wrote:

Expect a massive drop in performance within next two sessions(at least 50%) after third session it will become anti. I guarantee that by fourth session your vega pro will self-destruct,damage your blade and burn your hand.

It gave me an STD.

despoticwalnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 5:58pm

It gave me an STD.

The sheet you sold me gave me Ebola. My HMO didn't cover it.

Petr Korbel An
FH:Roxon 450 2.0
BH:Sriver FX 2.1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 6:42pm
To give an honest answer I would have to retry spin art, t25, h3 neo, hexer, t64 on the same blade with vega pro on one side.  So in short I won't.

They would all offer very similar amounts of spin and have the optimal peak in different types of strokes.  If I had to choose one for my forehand out of those it would be spin art.  Not considering the price though and not specifically because I thought it had the most spin out of them either.  

After t64 on my backhand I would choose vega pro as a t05 substitute but I find even t05 too dwelly now on my bh.  I am seeing how I can go with andro revolution on my backhand now.  

Only played with it for around 10 hours with a few people, so can't say yet.  I will form a better picture after competition on Monday.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2010 at 6:49pm

It gave me an STD.

I think that was more to do with blade than the rubber.LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 10:50am
Just want to share my experiences on Vega Pro compared to T05.
I've played a few weeks now, both are on my TBS.

Vega feels harder, T05 feels softer and is more dynamic. When playing slow strokes, T05 is faster, but when playing harder strokes, Vega is faster. Brush looping is better with T05 for this reason and for driving I like the Vega better. Vega comes very close to the spin T05 can generate, throw is a little bit lower tho, so there's less arc, but still alot of spin.

For me it's gonna be the replacement for T05, because I refuse to pay the crazy price for it. I can almost buy 2 Vega's for the price of 1 Tenergy. It's a wonderful rubber. I might try Europe for BH, because Pro is quite hard, but for FH my mind's made up Thumbs Up

@edit: Just glued both rubbers on my MMaze, will try it in 2 hours Big smile

Edited by karabijntje - 09/23/2010 at 10:56am
* Vega Pro / Europe
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 11:22am
That's weird, I find Vega Pro to be softer than T05.

For me Vega Pro has more spin when brushing the ball like serving, pushing, etc, because of the softer feeling. But once the sponge becomes involved, like looping and brush looping, Tenergy is easily spinnier.

flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2010 at 2:32pm
I have a black sheet of Vega Pro 2,0 mm and one of red Vega Europe 2,0 mm...I will test them, first one as a fh rubber and second as a bh rubber on Tb Alc, Photino, Acoustic, etc. I am just curious because I am a spin player. I will come back with a review...
Viscaria, FL

T05 hard, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05 hard, 2,1 mm, red, bh.
strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 1:01am
Originally posted by karabijntje karabijntje wrote:

Vega feels harder, T05 feels softer and is more dynamic. When playing slow strokes, T05 is faster, but when playing harder strokes, Vega is faster. Brush looping is better with T05 for this reason and for driving I like the Vega better. Vega comes very close to the spin T05 can generate, throw is a little bit lower tho, so there's less arc, but still alot of spin.

This is my experience as well. To add to that, I found I could vary bat angles and topspin/flat strokes more with Vega Pro. T05 forces me to play limited strokes that match the rubbers characteristics.
However, T05 is more dynamic for opening strokes. With Vega Pro you have to hit hard to activate the top sheet (gets harder with time), so openers have to be hit hard or else you get no spin.

I found 2mm didn't let the top sheet flex enough with the long and closely spaced pips, max feels softer because of the extra sponge underneath letting the top sheet do it's thing and resulting in more dynamic and forgiving shot making.

Very rough summary
T05 - spinnier serves, better opening loops, more feel
Vega Pro - better service return, more power on loops (similar spin)
atin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 7:32am
I've just tried my white sponge Vega Pro and it feels even better than the black sponge regular Vega Pro Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 10:31am
Wtf Shocked a white sponge vega pro? Tell us more!
* Vega Pro / Europe
atin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 10:45am
Topsecret Wink
Later more after some testing
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:11pm
Omigosh!!... no more the power of 'carbon' in carbo sponge!!  

how unbeing of xiom ... 

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:28pm
High_Arc:

I agree with your review of  new sheet of Vega Pro. 

Well....2 weeks later it's a different rubber altogether. Unhappy

However, i never agreed with ANYONE on 'sweeping' recommendation of rubber based on level. it depends on style, blade, amount of practice etc etc... and i am seeing national coaches starting junior players with Tenergy  (and other so called high end rubbers) .... and within a few months they are beating the my sh** out of me.... moving from 1400 to 1900+

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 1:32pm
Correct...but that it's just a special case...If you practice daily and with a national coach you have the opportunity to improve fast your level...but again if you are a amateur player that it's playing 2,3 times a week I don't think that it is wise to chose T05 hoping that you will improve your game. You will make unforced errors and you will not understand what to do...because the only advice you will get from yourself Tongue.
Viscaria, FL

flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 1:33pm
Sorry for my english...
Viscaria, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic