FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Li Grant - HD YouTube Video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Li Grant - HD YouTube Video
    Posted: 09/20/2010 at 1:38am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtOkmXedonU

Edited by melarimsa - 09/20/2010 at 1:39am
Sponsored Links

hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 3:42am
what are these two players rating in the states?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 12:50pm
Grant is around USATT 2300, no?
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 1:01pm
Yes, he is (he was 2410 recently). The other guy is Jeffrey Hsin, he is just below 2200. Grant was not playing to his full strength there, making a lot of unforced errors...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 1:24pm
I like both players ... There is something about Jeff that I like, the way he is playing or I am not sure ...
LobbedYoud0wn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 2:50pm
JimT give Jeff credit...I know what hes capable of ;)
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by LobbedYoud0wn LobbedYoud0wn wrote:

That I may see in him ...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 3:24pm

I wasn't saying anything bad about him, was I? I simply gave the USATT ratings for both guys per question from the previous post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I wasn't saying anything bad about him, was I? I simply gave the USATT ratings for both guys per question from the previous post.

No, but it came across like Jeff only won because of the unforced errors, which are hard to gauge. I've played Jeff many times and the errors one makes against him are more forced than they look, because his spin is deceptive, and he can often place his shots where you aren't expecting
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 4:11pm

No, but it came across like Jeff only won because of the unforced errors, which are hard to gauge. I've played Jeff many times and the errors one makes against him are more forced than they look, because his spin is deceptive, and he can often place his shots where you aren't expecting

I didn't mean that - and you are right, it is hard to measure which errors are forced, which aren't. But that's simply how we, spectators and experts, have to do that in tennis and table tennis as well - unforced errors are the ones where the player is (seemingly, at least) in control of the situation, has time to prepare the shot, and then misses it.

And I am not saying he made more of them than Jeff. I am just saying that compared to how I saw Grant (many times) play the opponents around his own level.

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 7:50pm
many people have asked this before...but what's with the wobbly recording? is it the camera or the encoding software that you're using?
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2010 at 9:55pm
No, the problem was that melarimsa had to put the camera into the bleachers which has a rather bouncy floor, and whenever someone walks or runs by the camera starts jumping up and down...

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 9:47pm
Thumbs Up
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 10:49pm
Was Grant the one with the hat on leaning over the fence? or do we somehow always know who is who?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Was Grant the one with the hat on leaning over the fence? or do we somehow always know who is who?

left handed = jeff

right handed penhold = grant
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2010 at 10:13pm
Yes ...
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:35am
Why does the rally never seem to go past 3? no disrespect but there are far too many errors for my liking. Maybe nerves? the match seems weird like both players are really nervous.
Their ratings would make them where in the mens ranking?
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:41am
In US, 2300 is high. Best rating is 2600+ ... So you can do math :) ... One of those players is 2300+ other is 2100+ ... I hope this help a little :)
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:44am
I can't really do the math considering i don't know how many people there are with those ratings. I would guess top 300? or top 200?
Stiga Clipper
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:52am
Maybe in the range of 200, there are 2200+ up to 2350+, but I may be pushing. There is very few in top 20 range from 2400+ to 2600+ !!!

Maybe this can help better: www.usatt.org
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:55am
haha thanks man but dont have time right now getting ready for work :D
I will defo check it out later though. Thanks for the info and the vids :)
Interesting vids and still enjoyable to watch. Keep uploading ^_^
Stiga Clipper
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 3:35am
It seems to me that table tennis overall is at a much weaker standard in the States than Australia despite the much bigger population. Off the chart both these guys would be in the top 200 players in the States but they would be _maybe_ on a good day just in the top 400 in Australia (maybe). I just compared the ITTF rankings for the top 20 in each country and that seems to agree, England is somewhere in between the two, with the average Australian player ranked much higher and there's so many better young kids coming through now it's only going to improve. You guys need to do something to get more people playing!. Does the government help out much? with your population you should be miles in front, it's a very minor sport here too, but since it's an Olympic sport it will always be given some government help

Edited by nicefrog - 10/01/2010 at 3:38am
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:22am
Grant uses the same blade as me! wonder what is FH rubber is
ttguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 1:57am

Yes, he is (he was 2410 recently). The other guy is Jeffrey Hsin, he is just below 2200. Grant was not playing to his full strength there, making a lot of unforced errors...
Just over-rated? Barney Reed is about 2400 too, but he plays much much better. I guess that those guys need to come to see Barney in California.
ttguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 2:19am
Here is how 2300-2400 players would play? The game speed is much faster. They serve and return much much different

Edited by ttguy - 10/17/2010 at 2:54am
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 3:50am
Originally posted by ttguy ttguy wrote:

Just over-rated? Barney Reed is about 2400 too, but he plays much much better. I guess that those guys need to come to see Barney in California.

Barney has been rated close to 2600 (2550+) for almost ten years now... Don't know where you get the 2400 from.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 3:54am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

It seems to me that table tennis overall is at a much weaker standard in the States than Australia despite the much bigger population. Off the chart both these guys would be in the top 200 players in the States but they would be _maybe_ on a good day just in the top 400 in Australia (maybe). I just compared the ITTF rankings for the top 20 in each country and that seems to agree, England is somewhere in between the two, with the average Australian player ranked much higher and there's so many better young kids coming through now it's only going to improve. You guys need to do something to get more people playing!. Does the government help out much? with your population you should be miles in front, it's a very minor sport here too, but since it's an Olympic sport it will always be given some government help

Not so fast.  None of these two players are in the top 200 in the USA.  Also, the top 20 players in the USA do not go to foreign tournaments nearly as frequently as Australians, if at all... This the main reason why they rank so low in ITTF's official rankings, not because they don't know how to play.  Wink
Imho, I think the current top 20 players in the States (both men and women) can beat Australia's top 20 men and women right now if they play.  I will take Fan Yiyong over William Henzell and Gao Jun over Miao Miao, for starters...

Edited by roundrobin - 10/17/2010 at 4:00am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:14am

You really need to get more knowledge about this. The ONLY reason that there are more AUS players on the ITTF rankings is because they have an Australian open tournament, and it is open to every man and his dog, In UK we have an English open that is restricted to selected players, further to that, the ETTA does not allow any English players to play ITTF events without permission. The Standard of play is higher in depth in England than Australia, generally Australian players who compete in England are competitive at a lower ranking, so a player of top 30 Mens capability, is equivalently around 100 in England.
The Older I get, The better I was.
ttguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:18am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Originally posted by ttguy ttguy wrote:

Barney has been rated close to 2600 (2550+) for almost ten years now... Don't know where you get the 2400 from.
You are right!
Barney's rating has been down lately (once it was down to 2524). And he has been very consistent.
But I have to say that the two young guy do not look like 2000+ player at all. Not sure if they are nervous. But their serves are not quite good. Most of the serve are too high. They could not even read serve well. They could not counter attack or counter loop. Most of the time, they just blocked on loop (even simple loop with not much power). It is the way of 1700-1800 players would play.
Kind of over-rated OuchOuch

Edited by ttguy - 10/17/2010 at 4:20am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 4:25am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

You really need to get more knowledge about this. The ONLY reason that there are more AUS players on the ITTF rankings is because they have an Australian open tournament, and it is open to every man and his dog, In UK we have an English open that is restricted to selected players, further to that, the ETTA does not allow any English players to play ITTF events without permission. The Standard of play is higher in depth in England than Australia, generally Australian players who compete in England are competitive at a lower ranking, so a player of top 30 Mens capability, is equivalently around 100 in England.
 Look at the ITTF rankings for England again, you will see that Lewis Grey is ranked at 1176 in the world, yet if you check here;

He is ranked one place below Me at 96 in England, which by your logic would suggest that England has 95 players world ranked above that (including me) which is nonsense.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic