Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timo Boll ZLF-cs Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timo Boll ZLF-cs Review
    Posted: 09/21/2010 at 4:38am
So after hitting with this blade for a few weeks, I thought I'd give my 2 cents on it.  With the gigantic boycott butterfly movement, I'm sure this will appeal to everyone.

For testing I used Tenergy 05 1.9 on forehand and Tenergy 64 1.9 on backhand.

To start off, I cannot believe how slow this blade actually is.  I was expecting a lot more punch from the ZL fiber but compared to my Firehand-cs, this blade is a snail.  There's plenty of speed on it, but you can't expect power shots without a decent swing.

Feel:
This blade has quite a nice feel to it which is somewhat unusual.  I generally enjoy playing with purely carbon blades for the slightly dull/metallic feeling which resembles a golf club.  The ZLF has a much more woody feel, but in a good way.  The blade is almost vibration free, but it maintains an organic feeling to it very much like a non-carbon arylate blade.  When compared to my Innerforce AL-cs, the ZLF feels a bit stiffer.

Looping:
If you haven't hit with one, I would recommend hitting with an Innerforce AL at some point because it provides you with some cartoonishly high dwell time and as a result, high throw loops.  The ZLF seems to be an improvement on this as the spin is quite similar, but there's a touch more speed and a little less dwell.

Blocking over the table:
Here's an issue with this blade which is going to take some adjustment.  The higher throw doesn't allow flat hits or low blocks quite as easily.  What seems to be better for me is a counter-loop.

Final Thoughts:
This blade is probably my favorite for playing against defensive players so far.  The higher throw makes looping against chops much easier though the cost seems to be more trouble looping against attackers.  I've found this blade fits the niche of a player who likes to stand several feet back from the table and attack with heavily spun loops.  This actually makes me somewhat curious as to how the Innershield-ZLF handles.  I can't recommend this blade for over the table players and as a result, I cannot recommend the cpen version for traditional styles.  I'm having a great deal of trouble just keeping my over the table backhand flips on the table since they're going so much higher now.  Fine craftsmanship from Butterfly and I look forward to sampling more of their blades in the future.

Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2010 at 5:01am
thanks for such an insightful review!!!  Always wondered how the zlf-cs plays like compared to my Chinese ULC, TBS-CS, Maze X-CS, and Violin CS
bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 3:23pm
Side note on this one:

Has anyone been able to find something that sands down the zylon fiber and the wood equally?  I always get a little bump of zylon on ZL blades when I sand the edges.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2010 at 4:24pm
I've been using the TB ZLF ST for the past 3 weeks and find it to be the best for balance of control and power with touch. I'm using H3 Neo 2.2 on the FH and med pips on the BH.

There's plenty of put away power and very easy to return power loops and smashes. The ZLF works very well with the med pips, great for service returns with the pips deception.

note: the ST version is 'faster' than the FL version. (I've tried both)
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic