Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice on new penhold blade ^_^

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on new penhold blade ^_^
    Posted: 09/24/2010 at 3:37pm

Okay well I don't know much because I'm still learning the strokes :P But I feel my blade isn't "good" enough, or like I'm dissatisfied with it... mostly because of my bad strokes probably, but I just feel like its not giving me the speed (I guess) that I want lol. I am using the Butterfly Satori blade (it was a pre-made racket with Flextra 1.9 on it) with Sriver EL 2.1. 

http://i54.tinypic.com/29mxi6p.jpg

The rubber is fine (coach says so, so I'm pretty sure ^_^), for now while I am still learning the strokes. And I want to get a wood blade because they are best for starting out (thats what they say :P). So anyways I was looking at these because they are cheap, but I really don't know so thats why I'm asking ^_^ 

http://zeropong.com/xcart4/home.php?cat=289

Here is a video of me trying to train with my robot:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xep1z0_dscf2138_sport

Yes I look retarded and I know I needed to crouch a lot lower lol. I don't really know my "game" yet so yea... Thanks guys!! 

Edited by TT4eva - 09/24/2010 at 3:40pm
BLADE - Cpen Butterfly Satori
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

---looking for a cpen trainer/training partner around Gadsden, Alabama---
Sponsored Links

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 3:44pm
The Bomb is a beautiful, beautiful blade. It's better than a LOT of blades I've tried that are twice, even three and four times its price. To be honest, so I've only found one blade that I might like more than it, maybe, and it's 100 USD. You really can't go wrong with it. In retrospect, it's not really a beginner's blade, but is often touted as such because it's so cheap.

Mind game is good too, from what I hear. Almost like a Butterfly Chinese Real clone, from what I read in the reviews. 

6030L is a good blade if you want to hit a lot. It's really too stiff and hard to be used for much else. 
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 3:56pm
Thanks for the quick reply!!! ^_^ So would the bomb be okay for me right now?
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 4:03pm
Definitely. And even if you end up not liking it, it cost less than your rubber. Wink

Give it some time to break in though - my new Bomb is a lot stiffer with less feeling than my four-year-old Bomb. So just don't throw it away too quickly! haha
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 4:12pm
Sweet ^_^ thanks a ton :) (ummm btw did you watch the video? Just asking becasue I don't know if knowing how my stroke is would affect lol)
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 5:55pm
I did. Your stroke is terrible. I'm being objective, so I hope that wasn't offensive Embarrassed

I think at this point in your game, any decent blade will suit you just fine. I've heard some people actually say the Bomb is actually too fast for a beginner, but 1) it's 18 dollars and 2) it suited me just fine, and I was much, much worse than you when I first started off with it. 3) It can last you a long time, and be with you up to 1800 USATT and more! There's really no need to "upgrade" to a different blade, until you get to the point where your playing style doesn't suit your equipment anymore.

Happy hitting!

PS - are you thinking of rpb at all?
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 7:41pm
Lol!! :( I thought it was OK, but still bad... anyways lol, I am not really considering rpb just yet because it adds more weight which I don't like lol and I want to get better and get the basics down :P Thank you so much for helping with all this ^_^ I'm ordering it tonight probably :)
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 8:14pm
I think your blade is fine; just your stroke or your whole body movement is very odd. It seems very very unstable Embarrassed
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
nhuang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhuang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 9:07pm
Looks like the robot is delivering balls too high for you to be practicing a normal forehand counter-drive.  Try changing the setting on the robot to shoot the ball lower to you.  Your stroke looks better when you relax more.  Try comparing with footage on youtube of the pros warming up and you'll get an idea of what the ideal form should look like.  

Good luck and have fun.

- nhuang

Edited by nhuang - 09/24/2010 at 9:08pm
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2010 at 11:12am
Originally posted by nhuang nhuang wrote:

Looks like the robot is delivering balls too high for you to be practicing a normal forehand counter-drive.  Try changing the setting on the robot to shoot the ball lower to you.  Your stroke looks better when you relax more.  Try comparing with footage on youtube of the pros warming up and you'll get an idea of what the ideal form should look like.  

Good luck and have fun.

- nhuang
I agree--the ball should be coming at you lower, so I would adjust the robot setting.  Your blade sounds fine actually.  Good luck!
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2010 at 11:19am

Thanks guys!! ^_^ I am watching the movie over and over right now lol I'll try relaxing more... Watching it now, I thought you were supposed to keep your elbow in close? @:47

And for just normal drilling, I do the stroke he did first right and go into it? (lol sorry I just want to be doing it right :P)

Here is a video of me last tuesday at BumperNets:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeyf4f_me-at-bumpernets-on-club-night_sport

@4:10 and @5:13 are those okay forehands?

Edited by TT4eva - 09/25/2010 at 2:05pm
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2010 at 6:28pm
(sorry double post)     

Edited by TT4eva - 09/26/2010 at 9:06pm
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2010 at 9:06pm
-bump- ^_^
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2010 at 9:19pm
Bend knees more, for one.

Also, your movement should be powered by an explosive waist turn (my coach likens it to a situp), and really, that shoulder shrug movement needs to go. All your movements need to look smooth and circular. Torso first, arm and shoulder movements should flow naturally from that torso movement.
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 3:07pm

Ok so like twist really fast (with your hips)? But I am confused a little bc its not what wang hao is doing in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxQhASnT1k

Sorry :/

FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 3:58pm
Well that is a forehand/backhand warmup, which is certainly not a harder drive/loop, like what you are doing in the video. Even in that Wang Hao video, you'll notice how he winds up by shifting his weight to his right leg, and uses it as a spring to power his torso movement - the arm/shoulders follow the natural rotation of his body.

When you watch videos of the pros all-out power looping, then it becomes much more obvious. 
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 4:06pm

Edited by rawrtje - 09/27/2010 at 4:12pm
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 4:28pm
Oh okay, so I like put my weight on my right foot and swivel and put it on my left at the end of the stroke? How could I train to make sure I am doing it right? (like my coach showed me to use a belt around my waist and right arm to keep my elbow from coming out or whatever idk :P)
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 5:51pm
What you're doing now is good (taking videos of your playing), as what you think you're doing and what you actually do are usually two completely different things. Once what you want to do is what you see yourself doing, you're doing it right LOL

And yeah, a weight transfer in the legs alongside torso power. Also remember to turn your body. Keep an object to the right of you and aim to try to have your chest face it with every windup.
TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 6:19pm
Oh okay so I face my chest to the ball (I start off kindof sideways?) and I turn to face it as I hit it? Thanks btw ^_^
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

TT4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2010 at 8:59pm
I ordered it and it came today! ^_^ http://www.megaspin.net/store/images/products/zoom_fr-729-bomb-cs.jpg

Edited by TT4eva - 09/30/2010 at 8:59pm
FH - Sriver EL 2.1
BH - none

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 5:14pm
Awesome. Hope you enjoy it Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic