Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio Thor's impressions and reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>
Author
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2010 at 7:43pm
Thanks a lot for the excellent review nicefrog.Nice to read. Though I am badly tempted to try it, I am a bit reluctant because of  the weight and the inconvenient smash.On the other hand you've mentioned that it performs better than H2 in dusty conditions and that's tempting, cause I've discovered the same. BTW,my H2 also changes when there is humidity(not theTG3 though)
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Sponsored Links

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2010 at 9:06pm
Kolev, If you are happy with TG3 then I probably wouldn't swap to Thors either since TG3 is already a really nice rubber. For myself I've been trying to find a way to have better mid range looping (since H2 really sucks for this) while still being able to play very well close to the table and Thor's is as close to what I want as I've found so far. For what it does (little bit better than the normal tacky rubber) and at double the price of most tacky rubbers it's fairly expensive so you have to take that into account too. But it's great that a sticky topsheet on a tensor sponge can be made to work :) and I think they can make even better variations of this theme in the future
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2010 at 10:55pm
nicefrog: Thanks for the awesome review. I'm pretty much sold. The next time I have $35 I'm picking up some Thor's.

Right now, I have a sheet of Giant Dragon Tai Chi hard to try out. I'm worried cuz the pips look big and I don't normally like large pips. Anyway, thanks again and maybe Palio should hook you up with a discount next time, cuz I'm buying a sheet of Thor's bases solely on your review. Big smile

Leatherback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2010 at 12:26am
....excited????
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Forehand: H3N Prov.41
Backhand: TSP Spectol 1.5
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2010 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

it looks to me more like a batch to batch variation.

in practical manufacturing scenario things like this can happen:

esn to palio: "just sent you a small batch of of the rubber for test marketing as per your spec of sponge and topsheet....hope you like the color" :)
palio to esn: "hey received th batch will test and revert... thx"

esn: "waiting for your feedback"
palio: "tried by a few players and they like it... i am sending you the first production order of 100 sheets. guess what... some people liked it tad harder ..could you possibly reduce the pores by a tiny bit?"

esn: "sure will do it in next batch... so now that thor is regular product, we will create a product code ending with T."
palio: "sounds good!! how soon can i expect the lot...? orders pending and launch date already deferred quite a few times. "
esn: "lots of pressure... prolly not before end of next week."
palio: "oops!!...okay... meanwhile we will supply from the test batch. make sure the color doesn't change."

esn: "you got it baby.."
palio: "sweet !! dude. :) "

[if my theory is right... all subsequent Thors you guys buy, would come with 'T', than not]

I was searching for Thor reviews and came across deb's comment.  LMAO LOL 

As for Thor, I probabably won't try it because I didn't even like Neo H3 Comm.  I was hoping Thor would be a cheaper SpinArt but I guess not.

Edited by BeaverMD - 10/18/2010 at 3:11pm
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2010 at 4:52pm
My sheet doesn't have a T and its new. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2010 at 9:05pm
I'd like to hear some more input from some other people about this rubber... and I wouldn't mind hearing nicefrog's opinion about it now that some time has passed.

Is it still a viable rubber?

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2010 at 4:25am
Hi mate yeah I've been practicing with all kids of rubbers and blades trying to figure out what I'm going to use next year, I'm certainly learning some things about the relationship between the shape of the curve a ball flys and how difficult it is to return, my acoustic with H2 feels and looks like it has enormous spin on it but it's just so easy to return compared to a sharper lower flying blade. Thors is improving with age I have probably used it constantly for 10 hours now and learning to use it better all the time.  

I've had some people ask me what rubber I'm using because they felt I was making extraordinary amount of spin but those were guys I don't normally play. My usual playing partners all think it's the hardest rubber to return of all the ones I've been hitting with lately, I myself don't think it's because it has much more spin than anything else, but it is a little faster and something they aren't used to, I still think it would be really good on a light stiff hard blade, it has heaps of control and low speed touch so I think you could use it on a straight up OFF blade no problem but then again I haven't used it on a bendy all wood blade yet either so you never know :) maybe that will work too. It is a good rubber, you just have to decide if it's worth the money compared to some of the other fancy tensors that don't cost so much more
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2010 at 5:21am
Nicefrog, have you use it in competition or serious play??
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2010 at 6:08am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Nicefrog, have you use it in competition or serious play??

It's the off season now but 80% of my practice is serious games, mostly against guys not at my level but I try to put a cap on the points they score, like keep them under 5 points for example. So that way I'm trying hard. I did have some games with a guy at a higher level than me and I lost, it was close though and not the rubbers fault :)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Hi mate yeah I've been practicing with all kids of rubbers and blades trying to figure out what I'm going to use next year, I'm certainly learning some things about the relationship between the shape of the curve a ball flys and how difficult it is to return, my acoustic with H2 feels and looks like it has enormous spin on it but it's just so easy to return compared to a sharper lower flying blade. Thors is improving with age I have probably used it constantly for 10 hours now and learning to use it better all the time.  

I've had some people ask me what rubber I'm using because they felt I was making extraordinary amount of spin but those were guys I don't normally play. My usual playing partners all think it's the hardest rubber to return of all the ones I've been hitting with lately, I myself don't think it's because it has much more spin than anything else, but it is a little faster and something they aren't used to, I still think it would be really good on a light stiff hard blade, it has heaps of control and low speed touch so I think you could use it on a straight up OFF blade no problem but then again I haven't used it on a bendy all wood blade yet either so you never know :) maybe that will work too. It is a good rubber, you just have to decide if it's worth the money compared to some of the other fancy tensors that don't cost so much more

Thanks nicefrog. I just started playing again. I had an unopened sheet of Tai Chi Hard to use, so that's what's on my blade now. So far I'm enjoying it but we'll see what happens with time. Even if I continue to dig it, I think I'll still have to pick up a sheet of Thor's.

Last question: How does Thor's compare with Black Power, in terms of throw?

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2010 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

oh shh8..!!! you got a new sheet from the older batch LOL... 
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2010 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Thanks nicefrog. I just started playing again. I had an unopened sheet of Tai Chi Hard to use, so that's what's on my blade now. So far I'm enjoying it but we'll see what happens with time. Even if I continue to dig it, I think I'll still have to pick up a sheet of Thor's.

Last question: How does Thor's compare with Black Power, in terms of throw?

I haven't used black power long term but do you have a sheet of Red Diamond? I can compare it to that, they have the same sponge anyway. Red Diamond has a lower throw and feels more crisp and sporting. Thor's is a bit more "doughy/dead" feeling but probably still almost as fast as Red Diamond, Thor's I would say does everything better than Red Diamond other than loop low over the table and counter loop, which Red Diamond is veeery good at. I'm really a big Red Diamond fan, it's my favorite el cheapo rubber  so it's still in the number one spot to get a place on the backhand of my blade, I also want to try LKT rapid speed which should be pretty awesome I think. I'm happy with Thors on the FH for now

Edited by nicefrog - 10/20/2010 at 2:06am
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2010 at 4:51pm
nicefrog... don't waste your money on rapid speed extrapolating red diamond performance.  :) 

you will be surprised Shocked... and you wont like that surprise Cry 

vid1
Vid 2
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2010 at 6:14pm
Rapid Sound is a very swell do-it-all rubber on the backhand, if you want to consider other ones in the Rapid series Smile
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2010 at 1:19am

Did you like it?, it's kinda lonely in the Thor using camp for some reason :p
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2010 at 1:22am

Did you like it?, it's kinda lonely in the Thor using camp for some reason :p

When my Tai Chi Hard "dies" then I'll likely try some Thor's. You won't be lonely forever! Smile

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2010 at 1:26am
You might be waiting years, well we will get to see how long Thors lasts :). I'll be up to about ten hours after this week, hasn't changed for the worse yet. I'm going to try hitting lots of smashes with it this week to see if it's better at that than I first thought (seems it might be)
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2010 at 2:38am
Ok I'm over 10 hours continuos full on hitting with this rubber now, getting more and more used to it. Seems like now I'm more used to it than I am with H2, like if I pick up H2 I go slightly backwards. For mid range looping this rubber is unbelievable good. I always had the problem with H2 that if I got pushed back then for me the point didn't have much hope of being saved (although in the last 4 weeks with the extra speed and higher throw I've got from Thors I've been able to totally change my loops swing from mid range and retain how it was close to the table), with the changes if I get pushed back then the point is 90% mine in fact I'm often going back on purpose, It's still great at the table and over the table, you need to hit it a bit different to H2 but I'm pretty much adapted now. I tried some smashes today and it seems pretty consistant. It chops really really well, I'm trying to find a good backhand rubber, I'm narrowing down what I need and I actually like Thors on the backhand too but there's no red one yet :(. Apart from that I think I need a high throw medium speed slightly tacky or VERY grippy rubber. I really want to improve my game next year and I almost never miss a point with my FH now so getting my backhand up to a decent level will be by far the most simple way for me to gain. Anyway, Thors is great even better than I first thought. It doesn't play like H2 and is much faster and also much harder for the opponent to return than H2 which in itself is very hard to return compared to most rubbers so I figure Thors must be very very good. While comparing it to H2 I had a rally that took 7 big mid range loops with H2 to win the point and another took 5 or 6, I don't think any mid range rally lasted more than 3 or 4 loops with Thors in the same session and I can hit from further back with Thors, so it's all around win

Edited by nicefrog - 10/24/2010 at 2:39am
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2010 at 3:37am
How good is thor on slow loops nicefrog? The kind that you really graze the ball and produce a heavy spin?? Is it better than H2 on this? This is my favorite shot to open up play with..
Mate, you really make me interested to try thor. And i still have one unused H3 Provincial... Darrnnn...
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2010 at 3:43am
You mentioned it's better than RD in most respects...is the degree of its "better-ness" proportional to its higher cost (more than 2x)? I suppose what I'm asking is, would you say to a RD user: "I know it's twice as expensive, but it's so much better than what you're using that you gotta try it!"

Edited by rawrtje - 10/24/2010 at 3:46am
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2010 at 4:02am
Dragonkid it's good for slow loops, it'll take you a while to get used to the change from a DHS rubber because it doesn't fly the same way.

rawrtje, It's not twice as good as Red Diamond, but it's probably 20 dollars better depending on how important 20 dollars is to you and how long it's going to last. I can play pretty much just as well with Red Diamond as Thors, Red Diamond more suits the game I was playing with H2, but the game I can play with Thors is going to be a more high level game and that's the direction I want to go in. I feel like a bit of a knob being the only person talking about it :p but as far as I see, it's worth talking about

Edited by nicefrog - 10/24/2010 at 4:15am
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2010 at 1:04pm
Aw that's a might shame. I was sold on RD based on how people compared it to BP, and now I'm sold on Thors! I actually have a sheet of RD coming in, so Thors will have to wait for at least another 3-4 months, until BP and RD die, if they last that long LOL

Well, hopefully we'll get your verdict on Thors' durability by then!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2010 at 1:15pm

Ok I'm over 10 hours continuos full on hitting with this rubber now, getting more and more used to it. Seems like now I'm more used to it than I am with H2, like if I pick up H2 I go slightly backwards. For mid range looping this rubber is unbelievable good. I always had the problem with H2 that if I got pushed back then for me the point didn't have much hope of being saved (although in the last 4 weeks with the extra speed and higher throw I've got from Thors I've been able to totally change my loops swing from mid range and retain how it was close to the table), with the changes if I get pushed back then the point is 90% mine in fact I'm often going back on purpose, It's still great at the table and over the table, you need to hit it a bit different to H2 but I'm pretty much adapted now. I tried some smashes today and it seems pretty consistant. It chops really really well, I'm trying to find a good backhand rubber, I'm narrowing down what I need and I actually like Thors on the backhand too but there's no red one yet :(. Apart from that I think I need a high throw medium speed slightly tacky or VERY grippy rubber. I really want to improve my game next year and I almost never miss a point with my FH now so getting my backhand up to a decent level will be by far the most simple way for me to gain. Anyway, Thors is great even better than I first thought. It doesn't play like H2 and is much faster and also much harder for the opponent to return than H2 which in itself is very hard to return compared to most rubbers so I figure Thors must be very very good. While comparing it to H2 I had a rally that took 7 big mid range loops with H2 to win the point and another took 5 or 6, I don't think any mid range rally lasted more than 3 or 4 loops with Thors in the same session and I can hit from further back with Thors, so it's all around win

As hungry as I was for info about this rubber, I'm now forced to ask you, "Please stop talking about it!" LOL

I don't have the spare cash to buy any Thor's right now (no, not even $35... the life of a grad student is one of small financial reward Cry). Yet every thing you say about it makes me want to try it. So, for the sake of my EJ soul, please say bad things about it... even if you don't mean it!

I have a week before I get paid, and then it's on! But until then, nicefrog, I need you to write a one page (single-spaced) paper about how horrible this rubber is.

LOL

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2010 at 7:45am
Ok I wont mention it any more until you get your cash :). But I do find it really strange that all the Chinese rubber users that dream of a high performance tacky rubber and are happy to pay 100$ for national versions of this and that which at least 50% aren't real and aren't any better than this even when they are real haven't jumped on it. It also gives me the warm fuzzys to know some of the money has gone to Germany rather than all to China which right now I'm not very happy with (for all the fake stuff and general dodgyness). In the end I don't have much money either but if I don't continuously buy low end rubbers just to see how they play I can surely afford two medium price rubbers each 6 months that I know are good and I can use to whatever level I may be able to reach during the rest of my playing life, so that surely the sensible thing to do
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2010 at 8:27am
as i am short on money too... but if Thor can last 6 month then i can afford it... just hope and prayWink
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2010 at 10:24am
I've already used it for more minutes than I play in competition in a season lol so I'm sure it will last me, it plays better now than when it was new. But I'm going to put another 30-40 hours on it and see what happens

Edited by nicefrog - 10/25/2010 at 10:26am
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 3:11pm
nice frog... 

i had been trying to move from tenergy... and found acuda pretty nice for everything else except durability and spin on serves. 

then i am now on h3 NEO... i don't know if it is because i took the neo off one blade and pasted on another...(losing the tuning layer)...neo H3 feels incredibly slow and dead after acuda or tenergy. 

i do love the smashes and other short fishing strokes and out-of-position recoveries ..with NEO. but miss the sheer finishing power of acuda or tenergy in loop-loop encounters. 

thors seem to have ignited my ej spirit once more.. thinking this has the dead chinese rubber DNA in short game and alive power looper rubber in power game. i want to know if that is correct?

i also want to know how thor blocks?...because tackies usually are not known for their blocking prowess.

and how it serves after so many days of playing? because tensors lose some surface grip over time.

vid1
Vid 2
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

nice frog... 

i had been trying to move from tenergy... and found acuda pretty nice for everything else except durability and spin on serves. 

then i am now on h3 NEO... i don't know if it is because i took the neo off one blade and pasted on another...(losing the tuning layer)...neo H3 feels incredibly slow and dead after acuda or tenergy. 

i do love the smashes and other short fishing strokes and out-of-position recoveries ..with NEO. but miss the sheer finishing power of acuda or tenergy in loop-loop encounters. 

thors seem to have ignited my ej spirit once more.. thinking this has the dead chinese rubber DNA in short game and alive power looper rubber in power game. i want to know if that is correct?

i also want to know how thor blocks?...because tackies usually are not known for their blocking prowess.

and how it serves after so many days of playing? because tensors lose some surface grip over time.

Thors absolutely has that dead feel in the short game, it has basically no speed in that role like any dead non tuned chinese rubber, in fact I think it feels more dead than the neo rubbers, That's because it's a very tacky rubber, even with a plastic cover on the rubber it feels kinda dead but when you do that it's fairly fast while feeling dead lol. It's just got a different feeling to a rock hard sponge, if you can imagine that the sponge is "dense" rather than "hard" then you can kind of imagine how it feels.

I haven't taken much notice of how it blocks I guess that's a sign that it's ok, plus I've always used tacky rubber on both sides and can block well with them so I probably wouldn't notice anyway.

It serves really well, I don't think this rubber can be compared to a grippy tensor that may loose it's surface grip because Thors is very tacky and made from this rubber that's kind of.... almost permanently not quite dry stuff but it's also got like rough particles in the rubber. I think if it stays covered it will stay tacky and grippy forever.

But yes the main thing is that it has endless control in the touch game but can attack very well from mid distance, I don't think it's comparable to the NEO's it's a better rubber than that

Edited by nicefrog - 10/26/2010 at 8:44pm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 11:15pm
...must...control...desire...to...purchase...
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>
  Share Topic