tabletennis11.com

Resources for this stroke? Fast Attack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resources for this stroke? Fast Attack
    Posted: 11/01/2010 at 1:45pm
I'm looking to further develop a close to/over the table FH attack for myself, and also be in a position so I can explain it to another player who is looking to add it to their arsenal.

I had no luck with search.

It's a stroke I developed playing matches and learning to third ball and I currently use it against a variety of balls ranging from dead to medium underspin.

I'd like to clean up the motion (I'll post video here soon) and make it more versatile (meaning only minor adjustments needed for different spins).

It's more of a drive over the table than a loop, with a fairly big non-compact stroke and an upward motion finish.

The closest thing I can find to what I would like to model it after is Liu Gouliang's pips out attacking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxv4MkQzs8Y&feature=related
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 1:57pm
I can't help you with your search, but I want to thank you for posting that Guoliang/Lin match. That was pure awesomeness.

Thumbs Up

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 2:08pm
I know exactly what stroke you are talking about. The main idea when trying to get enough spin and keep the ball on the table is to snap your wrist up on contact. Continue driving straight through. I usually do this with my arm almost completely extended if not fully.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 2:23pm
This one stroke and a few serves got me to US1000.
I still find the that it "goes through" such a range of different balls remarkable.

I want to be able to "pass it on" to someone who already has a good backhand.

And ideally, I'd like to have it's counterpart on the BH as well, but due to some glaring technique limitations (not enough leg involvement, lack of squaring myself to the ball, and a bad habit of "reaching"), I can only BH over the table attack under and side under serves and mid depth pushes right now.

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 6:29pm
That type of backhand attack is always a harder shot (at least for me) since it has to employ more leverage from both the wrist and the elbow. The timing is harder for me to get right but what I have found that helps is to try and make contact with a little hookspin so that the contact with the ball is not directly tangent to the underspin rotation. It helps me not have to lift as much and gives me a little more control.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 8:09pm
Post me a Pm again icontek, and I will help you once more.
The Older I get, The better I was.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 8:56pm
thats a good shot to practice if you can someone hit to the same place or play against a fixed robot.
is this shot with reduced topspin but more drive and withsome flatness in the stroke or are you wanting to drive the ball more upwards and over
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 11:58pm
I'll see if I can shoot some FH/BH footage Sunday to show what I want to learn/share.

Sorry for the delay. So hard to describe what I want to do, but if you've played againbst a high level penholder and accidentally put balls to mid table (no matter how low the bounce) the destruction (to either corner) they are able to unleash is what i want to emulate.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 9:47am
icontek, you mean like this stroke that im using in my forehand, an over the table loop drive?
pardon my noobness on the stroke. you can see it almost as the end of the video

http://www.youtube.com/user/pateros1#p/u/22/xtL97g_1N9k
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 4:27pm
The way I learned the stroke was to drive it a bit more and take it earlier off the bounce. It's almost not necessary for it to be above net height and it's frequently played with a more open face and upward motion at contact while moving forward.

omg it's convex.
stop me now.

at least that's what I think I'm doing. I'll have a more detailed view when I get a chance to video it tomorrow.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I'll see if I can shoot some FH/BH footage Sunday to show what I want to learn/share.

Sorry for the delay. So hard to describe what I want to do, but if you've played againbst a high level penholder and accidentally put balls to mid table (no matter how low the bounce) the destruction (to either corner) they are able to unleash is what i want to emulate.
 Just note that a penholders bat is pointing down so the player can do this shot easier

Im thinking that this shot you want to do is more like the top of the bounce wack, so comming forward and meeting the ball early is the key ... but keep posting and someone will help you out
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 8:05pm
icontek, if you check the link i gave  that's what i was doing at the end part of the vid. i take the ball on the rise and i do full swings in brushing the ball above the tableeven if its underspin
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 11:20pm
yogi -

i see what you mean - on the FH side i think i hit it flatter/earlier with less of a loop stroke - you are definitely looping the ball!

i like what you were doing on your BH tho - that's exactly the sort of quick attack I am looking to get consistent with.

right now i am limited to using my BH "attack" against certain pendulum service (the ones with the right mix of side under)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic