FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: GD TopENERGY Soft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: GD TopENERGY Soft
    Posted: 11/21/2010 at 8:45pm
After playing with the TE Soft rubber for about 3 weeks.

These are my findings:

Serve:  good and spinny, easy to control and place for long and short serves.
Looping:  very good and powerful, no problem from anywhere away the table, very consistant.
Blocking:  easy for blocking back, very precise.
Placement:  since the topsheet is tacky, placement is easy for returning serves, applying short heavy underspins and crosscourt sidepin shots.
Slams:  this is my main problem with Chinese rubbers, the topsheet is too tacky for good slams. with the TE soft, my slams are too slow compared to the Tenergy rubbers. I'd put the TE soft in the same class as the H3 Neo for tackiness.
Weight:  It's a typical weight for Chinese rubber. (on the heavy side)

If possible, I'd like to have the rubber back at the end of the users' tests and hopefully the tack has wore off so I can put it thru another round of tests.

Overall, I'm happy with this rubber. If they make a grippy version of the topsheet, then they'd really have something. But for now, I need to stay with the Tenergy rubber.

JL

Edited by jt99sf - 11/21/2010 at 11:20pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 1:35pm

If you don't mind me adding my GD topENERGY hard review to your thread, I gotta say that mine currently after the same amount of time is only very grippy, not really tacky at all. But coming from tenergy, I can see how you would want to call it tacky. The grip is very similar to that of H3.

But I have to say, at the end of my playing time now, I'm begging for my H3 or BW2 back. I can see how others would like it, but man it just does not do it for me. I'll post a full review soon. But until then I need to find the queue so I can ship it off to the next tester to maybe get a better feedback than what I can provide as someone who the rubber is not fit to.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 2:10pm
@ beeray1, thanks for the contribution.

I really like the looping ability of the rubber (so easy), but its frustrating when my slams come back. But when I go back to the T64, they don't.Confused
My opponent say the same thing, my slams are slower with the TE Soft.

Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

But coming from tenergy, I can see how you would want to call it tacky. The grip is very similar to that of H3.

i call this semi-tacky. some call it tacky and what you call tacky they call it sticky. but tackiness of H3 is clearly stronger than of typical euro/jap grippy rubber
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

But until then I need to find the queue so I can ship it off to the next tester to maybe get a better feedback than what I can provide as someone who the rubber is not fit to.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2010 at 12:25pm
Ok, so now I have played a bit with TopENERGY Soft - the one that jt99sf used before. Here is my humble opinion...

First, this rubber is freakishly HEAVY!! O-M-G heavy... cut piece weighed 56 g !! which is 10 g more than a cut piece of Blitz MAX, for instance.

I put it on the forehand of my Stiga "Tickan" Allround Wood blade (with PME 2.0 on BH) and when I took it in my hands I almost dropped it on the floor... wow! I can only imagine how heavy TopENERGY Hard is...

Now let's see. I only played for about an hour with it but here it is in a nutshell:

Speed: quite decent. About same as Thors, I woud say.

Spin: surprisingly, not so great. One would think that very tacky and medium hard rubber should spin like crazy but nope. I thought at first that something was wrong with me, but then I gave it to another player and he tried some heavy chops against me. When the ball was on my half it was already so flat that it was enough for me to just push it back lightly without any counteraction. It was doing a little better with topspin - loops, that is - but again significantly worse than comparable attacking rubbers. Same with underspin or sidespin serves.

Control
: great in short game; good in attacks and mid-range play

Tackiness
: very tacky!

Weight
: as I said 56 g when cut. That makes the uncut weight approximately 76 grams... again, wow!

Hardness: same as Karate Hard, approx. 39 degrees for topsheet and 40 degrees for sponge.

Flat game: more or less OK, even a little better than what you would expect from seriously tacky rubber. Not great.

"Stickiness" effect: almost non-present. I mean that famous issue which arises when trying to perform mid-power placement shots with tacky rubbers. They usually require a lot of practice and you are liable to push the ball into the net because the ball lingers on the rubber for too long and drops. The feeling is generally not too crisp which interferes with precision pushes or mid-range strokes. In this case TopENERGY behaves surprisingly well, on par with Thors.

I am not sure I am interested in playing more with this rubber. First of all, it is amazingly heavy (HEAVY!!) and secondly, I do not see it being a real contender against Thors. The only possible aspect where it could beat Thors might be blade-selection issue - we all know by now that Thors is very blade-dependent. TopENERGY could turn out to be much better in that department.

metallikviper - you are next in queue. Please PM me your mailing address.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2010 at 1:06pm
would you guys say that the TE rubber is somewhat a copy of Spinart?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2010 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by tsanyc tsanyc wrote:

would you guys say that the TE rubber is somewhat a copy of Spinart?

I really have no idea - never played with Spinart ... and have no intention to. Wink

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2010 at 2:54pm
Finally I got the results on hardness testing for TopENERGY Soft - they are the same as GD Karate Hard, namely 38-39 topsheet and 39-40 for sponge. Will update review above.

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 5:55am
Although I was interested in topenergy because of its similarity to tenergy by name I believe I might be much more interested in Blitz.  I just bought a sheet here and they stuck it on my new yasaka balsa blade down in Wan Chai.  The blitz looks like hexer sponge without the fairy floss colouring.  I am going to die till I have a chance to use it though. 
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
conradsong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Although I was interested in topenergy because of its similarity to tenergy by name I believe I might be much more interested in Blitz.  I just bought a sheet here and they stuck it on my new yasaka balsa blade down in Wan Chai.  The blitz looks like hexer sponge without the fairy floss colouring.  I am going to die till I have a chance to use it though. 

As far as the rubbers go from Giant Dragon, the current portfolio looks as follows:

Chinese -> European/Japanese:
TopENERGY -> TaiChi -> Karate -> SuperSpin G3

If you're not used to chinese style rubbers, then TopENERGY is probably not for you. 
http://ztabletennis.com
FiberPotence ALC - SuperSpin G3 Soft
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 12:46pm
@conradsong

How hard are SuperSpin G3 Hard and Soft?

Do you have any preliminary Speed/Spin/Control numbers for it? What about the price?

Also: any chance to get one of them to test? - preferably the one with hardness close to Karate Hard.

conradsong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

@conradsong
Do you have any preliminary Speed/Spin/Control numbers for it? What about the price?
Also: any chance to get one of them to test? - preferably the one with hardness close to Karate Hard.
Let me get back to you :)
http://ztabletennis.com
FiberPotence ALC - SuperSpin G3 Soft
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by conradsong conradsong wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

@conradsong
Let me get back to you :)

Thanks!

Also I hope you will start selling GD balls in 2011. I had a few people ask me where they could buy those as they liked them enough at 60-70 cents (I am not sure but you quoted something like that to me, correct?).

Happy New Year 2011! Is it a year of Giant Dragon, by any chance? Wink

loopattack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopattack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2010 at 6:17am
I am very interesting in it also,but I couldn't find it in chinese marketCry
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 5:43pm

After reading some vague reviews regard to the new Giant Dragon’s TopENERGY, I’ve requested from Mr.ConradSong to give me an opportunity for an in-depth review.  I would like to thank ztabletennis.com & CoradSong for their generosity.  I’ve received TopENERGY Soft & Hard for testing.  Expedite services are just one of many perks of ordering from ztabletennis.com. 

I will be testing on an easy to play YEO and then move on to an intermediate HH656 or Ludeack Power. 

First Impressions: TopENERGY:  Presentation of the package is top notch.  Both versions come in vacuumed packs.  The odor from VOC is quite strong as I am not used to it (never used speed glue before, & don’t use boosters or tuners), I intend to air it out for a day before gluing.  Quality of the topsheet reminded me a lot like the Thors.  Pin structure is pretty standard under the exceptional quality elastic topsheet on the red SOFT TE.  Excellent quality for the Black HARD TE as well.  The Hardness for SOFT version is as advertised (DHS Scale of 39-40 degress).  Mr.Song has warned my about the Hardness for the HARD version, I didn’t mind it cause I’m used to playing with harder rubber for RPB.  After pressing it down with my fingers on the HARD TE, I thought that it was not much harder than SOFT TE.  The HARD version reminded me a lot like the NEO TG2 series, whereas the Harder Sponges feel softer.  Both rubbers are mildly tacky, and it’s HEAVY.  They belong to the BW II class, not just the weight…..you’ll find out if you continue to read…=P.  I intended to slap both on one blade and I did, but I tho the Black HARD TE was too soft for my BH play, so I’ll have to test separately. 

SOFT TE  in session:

I was very excited to try out this rubber.  I have done the spin test after gluing (practicing serves into my bed), and the spin was massive.  Insane as in the same category as BW II & Apollo I tuned versions.  Finally at the club and start hitting with it, this rubber displays some of the speed-glue characteristics, such as the sounds, spins and bounciness.  Medium to Low throw with my YEO blade.  Quite bouncy just like Tensor rubbers, so it’s easier when I step around to do Forehand rally in BH position.  Tackiness still here after about 20hrs of play, apparently the GAT (gecko Absorption Technology) effect is still working!!!  Speed is comparable to NEO H3 commercial, slightly faster, IMHO.  So far this rubber is excellent at Mid-Distance Play as well as close-to-table. 

Looping: Easy to perform opening loops.  This thing is a BEAST!!!  Arc is not as curvy as BW II with sidespin loops.  SOFT TE spins seem to be at maximum during its path before dropping to its first bounce whereas the BW II ‘s max spin ratio continues after its initial bounce.  I love the mid distance looping abilities comparing to lack of power away from the table with NEO H3 & BW II.  Tackiness offers more control & dwell in every aspects of looping. 

Pushes/Short Game: Tackiness sometimes help in returning serves.  Flipping underspins is excellent with this rubber, I have more confidence in doing with this than BW II because of the extra tackiness.    

Blocking: This rubber has better blocking abilities at mid distance than close-to-table.   I believe that once the rubber is broken in, then close-to-table blocks will drastically improve.  Counter blocking & returning with no spin off loops are both very effective with SOFT TE.  Counter Looping is another category that excels with this rubber, I find that it’s very easy & forgiving at the cost of producing less spin countering.

Serving:  Excellent with short spinny serves.  I’ve improved a lot with serving short topspins/sidespins for third-ball attack.  However, fast deep corner serves are not as effective as BW II.  I am able to serve the Corkscrew Serve (handshake style) with ease, still working on converting that into a Pen serve =S.  This rubber is blowing me away as I am disarrayed about whether to use this or BW II in my next tourney.  The Throw is sooo easy to adjust... This is definitely one of my top 5 ForeHand Rubbers to use.  I would rate as follow from my experiences.     

Speed: BW II  > Neo Nat H3 = Prov H3 = Soft TE > TG3 #21

Spin: Neo Nat H3 = BW II  > Prov H3 = Soft TE > TG3 #21

Control: Neo Nat H3 > Prov H3 = Soft TE > TG3 #21 > BW II

In conclusion I will rate SOFT TE (SOFT Red) as follows:

Speed: 8.8 out of 10

Spin: 9 out of 10

Control: 8 out of 10

Sponge hardness: Medium

Top Sheet: Very Tacky & Very Grippy

Category: OFF to OFF+

More to come with durability & consistency update.  After approx. 20hours, very clean topsheet unlike the DHS NEO series’ easily bruised topsheets.  One more note to add is that this rubber is fairly easy to adopt if you are used to playing H3s, BW IIs, and TG Series, original or NEOs.  Alot of the forum testers complained about the weight, but penholders shouldn’t worry too much because majority like to cut them shorter leaving an inch to two between the FH Handle.  Also cause most are already accustomed to the Hurricane Mass.

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 03/21/2011 at 5:47pm
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2011 at 11:41am

I thought I would add the Review for TopENERGY HARD here as well.

HARD TE in session:

Intended to put it on my BH, but after feeling the hardness I’ve decided to try it on my FH.  It is not as spinny as SOFT TE, not as bouncy, and has much lower throw (tackier than SOFT version) with my Ludeack Power.  Good speed, countering is awesome and fun!!!  The tackiness takes little time to adjust to, I was able to perform TBH better than any other setups I have tried except for (Taksim w/T64).  I wonder if the throw will be different once the tack wears away or how it would perform with YEO???   This rubber comes with same speed-glue characteristics as SOFT.  The thing I noticed with this rubber is that it produces a flatter trajectory on loops.  It is also notably slower than soft when I switched to YEO backhand, although it’s pretty fast on the forehand with Ludeack Power.  So can I assume that the SOFT TE will be even faster on a faster stiffer blade? HARD TE is tackier than SOFT TE.

Looping FH Ludeack Power: Easy loops from tackiness.  Also have excellent mid-distance power.  Rallying is just a joy.

Looping BH YEO: higher throw with YEO on BH, not as much spin compare to SOFT TE.  I’m particularly am not impressed with the smashing power for a hard rubber.  It’ll be better with a faster & harder combo. 

Pushes/Short Game FH LP: Tackiness very effective in returning serves.  Flipping underspins is also a gem.  This rubber is also very good at reversing pushes with side & top spins back to the other side of the table.   

Pushes/Short Game BH YEO: Harder to return long non-underspin balls cause of the high throw.   

Blocking: Blocking for both blades are very good.  Counter blocking is extremely fun with LP cause it’s faster than YEO, but with YEO it works on my recovery more cause more balls are coming back after each hard hit.

Serving:  Very good at fast long serves.  Short serves are decent, but doesnt produce as much spin as SOFT TE.

IMHO, This rubber is suitable to topspinners that rely on pace than spin.  I believe that this rubber pairs well with all types of blades, slower blades with control placement game, and fast blades with speed.       

In conclusion I will rate HARD TE (HARD Black) as follows:

Speed: 8.5 out of 10 

Spin: 8 out of 10

Control: 8.9 out of 10

Sponge hardness: Medium to Hard

Top Sheet: Very Tacky & Very Grippy

Category: OFF- to OFF

Durability is good at about 10hours of usage, topsheet is high quality stuff as the imprints from my fingers from RPB have only put a small smudge.  DHS product would have been smoothed out after the same amount of usage.  Topsheet Is still mildly tacky.  I will keep testing, and will address any change of characteristics for these rubbers.  A BIG THANKS to ConradSong & Ztabletennis.com! 

My FS/FT

DrFeelGood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrFeelGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2011 at 4:19am
I'm using Giant Dragon Topenergy Soft on my fh and really love it. On my bh I'm using Yinhe Moon. Topenergy Soft is extremely spinny and very fast on active shots (especially topspins) while in short game it's extremly slow which gets you nice control for aggressive over the table play. Mid distance counter looping and looping against block is superb because this rubber is *heavily* factory tuned (tuner seems to be lasting longer than BW2 so far). Very good feeling and amazing spin. If you've played heavily speedglued DHS Hurricane rubbers Topenergy Soft is for you :) Great fh rubber.

Edited by DrFeelGood - 03/25/2011 at 4:22am
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2011 at 9:28am
I tried Topenergy Hard a few times, but just could not get used to it. I tried it on my Arylate custom first and it seemed OK. Decent spin and speed on loops. I didn't do much serving or pushing that time.
I tried it next on my Virtuoso and that was a complete disaster for me. The arc for the loop was so different and inconsistent that I gave up after one hour trying to get more than 2 loops in a row on the table.
I now put it back on my Arylate custom and I still feel it is only an OK rubber for me. I am willing to send it on if anyone else would like to test it. I just don't have the time right now to invest adjusting my stroke to fit a test rubber, with a big tournament coming in 3 weeks.
I hope someone else has a better use for it than me.
DrFeelGood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrFeelGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2011 at 3:19am
Topenergy Soft is already quite hard (harder than Tenergy 05!). Topenergy Hard must be a brick :) Try out Topenergy Soft. It's a very good looping rubber if your technique is good. Outstanding spin and the sponge is soft enough to feel good.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2011 at 8:53am
I agree that TE Soft is a better FH rubber for all around play especially looping, TE Hard works well if rallying is your game. 
Since Hard TE is also Tuned, it only about 1 to 2 degress harder (equivalent to DHS scaling 40-41) IMO. 
My FS/FT

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2011 at 9:27am
I would be open to test the soft version if the testing rubber is still in circulation. Meanwhile, I still have the hard version...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2011 at 10:04am
mmerkel is so intent on giving TopENERGY Hard to someone that he even agreed to pay any  interested player $100 just so he can be rid of it.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 9:12am

GD TopEnergy Soft is a better version of the Palio's Thors, IMO.  Even tho TE is not a tensor, but has qualities of tensor in the bounciness department.  Tackiness just like new even after about 75hrs of play.  My underspin pushes have given even 2000+ loopers trouble.  Penholders with Wood Blades & use TBH will find this rubber extra useful when opponents try to pin fast shots to BH for a FH counter.  BH counter blocks will keep pace to avoid that.  For those who love tacky rubbers with a kick, you will love this rubber.  I believe this rubber is suitable for 0-2000 level players.  Thanks again Conradsong 

My FS/FT

PedramTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedramTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 2:29pm
realy disapointed with TopEnergy Soft .when you smash with this rubber the ball just goes to the net, but I can smash every kind of ball with my X1 Turbo.  I cant do anything with this heavy rubber,. unlike taichi hard that I realy liked it.
PedramTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedramTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 2:35pm
what a big lie. I have tried so many tensors and none of them was even a little like

GD TopENERGY Soft

its a pure chinese rubber like those friendship but a litle bit better. karate hard and taichi hard was much better than this

GD TopENERGY Soft

I think giant dragon should have missed the price taichi should be 27$ topenergy should be 16$

I have never been so disapointed on buying a rubber sheet
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 2:26pm

I think a sheet of tuned Taichi would be pretty nice.  Taichi is actually pretty good, but a tuned sheet might be pretty heavy.  I've heard GD will come out with some more rubbers later this year.  Can't wait till Cropcircles and Snowflake come out.  Love the names. I got the Cropcircles name right away, but didn't get the Snowflake name till my daughter pointed out that no 2 are the same.  Must mean the returns are very disturbing and no 2 are the same. Ha.

Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic