FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Palio FLYING DRAGON short-pips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palio FLYING DRAGON short-pips
    Posted: 11/23/2010 at 6:34pm
"It is well known that whatever pips-out rubbers found on the market have the deadly weakness of poor spin. This leads to the near extinction of traditional Chinese pips-out attack playing style.
But now, things are DIFFERENT!!

Flying Dragon rubbers are manufactured with the latest super special Japanese single crystal additive
PANA-TETRA. This innovation raises the dynamic of coefficient of friction (spin), anti-abrasion (durability) and control to a new high level.

Strong spin, superior control and great speed coming from a Palio tensor allow these pips-out rubbers to reach a new spin level like that of a pips-in rubber WITHOUT losing any of the pips-out advantages.
"

33-35 degree 1.8mm 

I have been using primarily DHS  652 & 651, liking both yet clearly preferring the 651.
I have also used and enjoyed Sharping as well as Friendship 802.
The Palio Flying Dragon is different in that the pips are vertically aligned & the sponge is
(?presumably) softer.
It is fast and pushes well. I think it is spinnier than DHS 651; though at this point I will have to
adjust to it more as a great many of my blocks, flips and fishes didn't find the table.

I did not play with it on my fh aside from a handful of serves so I can't really offer any type of a useful assessment there either.
Performing a simple high bounce test of the blade face (1st inverted, then pips-out) leads me to think  it can spin & spin well at that.

It is a pleasing, somewhat "translucent" deep red. The pips appear to be similar in diameter & spacing to the  DHS 652 (Horizontal) while the surface of the pip appears more "textured".
The pips of the DHS 651 (Horizontal) are clearly smaller & spaced farther apart, also with far less "texture" on the face of the pip.
I do not have a scale handy however can say it is certainly on the lighter side. Maybe that is attributable to the 1.8 sponge... all the same, it is light & made my set-up even lighter (Vs DHS set-ups)

Now that I recall this evenings play, passive blocks were far more susceptible to spin
Vs my beloved DHS 651.
At the same time I was able to execute a massive 2 meter back bh counter with speed and spin
that I'm fairly sure my DHS pips could not do... I think? Disapprove

In short, while I really do love DHS 651, this Palio Flying Dragon won't require too great an adjustment & it will be staying on the Lissom... probably for a good number of months.
Should I garner some more, possibly useful, insights I will be sure to revisit this thread, if & when I'm able.

For the curious out there, at the price it can be had, it is certainly worth one try. You too chris.b40!LOL
People Always Love It Only!

Edited by Heimdallalso - 11/24/2010 at 1:02am
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Sponsored Links

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 8:56pm
You got my attention
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 1:43am
is it avaiable now in many tt stores? how does it compare to spectol?
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
tennisfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 6:32am
Heimdallalso

Thanks for sharing this information .
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 9:51am
THis is how the cover look like.. it has another short pip version call Power Dragon, but can't find any difference from the online wbsite..

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 11:33am

Great stuff,nice pics

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 11:45am
"new spin level like that of a pips-in rubber WITHOUT losing any of the pips-out advantages"

Sounds like this rubber is begging to be compared with Raystorm/802-40/etc. Heim?

Edited by rawrtje - 11/24/2010 at 11:46am
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by gatz gatz wrote:

is it avaiable now in many tt stores? how does it compare to spectol?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2010 at 11:11pm
ken2012, I don't know where your post went but it was interesting.Smile

Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

"new spin level like that of a pips-in rubber WITHOUT losing any of the pips-out advantages"

Sounds like this rubber is begging to be compared with Raystorm/802-40/etc. Heim?

Hello rawrtje (& Gatz), I wish I could answer you with greater specificity... hell, any specificity but have not really used 802-40 except for two brief hits. I've never hit with Raystorm.
Never hit w/ Spectol.
What I can report, after having played with it again, including a fair stint on my fh, is that it is
a. pretty fast
b. the spinniest pip I've ever hit with

I also experienced far less unforced errors (I presume attributable to less passivity).
I am really enjoying it though the learning curve will take a bit yet. I D I G it.LOL

& as stated before, It will be staying on my Nexy Lissom.

Edited by Heimdallalso - 11/27/2010 at 11:38pm
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

THis is how the cover look like.. it has another short pip version call Power Dragon, but can't find any difference from the online wbsite..

(courtesy ttarmory.com)
The new Palio BIOTECH short pip rubbers are a great value. Palio Flying Dragon is a Japanese type pip with vertical alignment for more spin. Palio Power Dragon is a Chinese type pip with horizontal alignment for more speed.

Edited by Heimdallalso - 11/28/2010 at 12:36am
NEXY Lissom st 85g
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 5:09am
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

spinny a little bit more solid over raystorm still can get float balls and good control, great achievement for a 19$  rubber
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 6:44pm
Are the pips small & soft?
I have 1 sheet on the way..
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Are the pips small & soft?
I have 1 sheet on the way..

i ordered one cos i tried a few hits and i diggit  the pips are like varnished the feel like 802 mildly glued
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 11:07pm
Never played with 802 Confused, only 802-40, spectol, bomb, haifu...
I guess I'll wait til it come to see myself..
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 11:41pm

how come you decided to order flying and not powerdragon¿
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

I've been playing with bomb (5-6 of them) , 802-40, double fish, haifu simultaneously and pretty happy with them, but I miss the ability of doing bh loops, then I tried a used spectol 21 (hesitantly) and was able to loop consistently.
So I am hoping that this FD with vertical aligned pips resembles Spectol that has soft pips and soft sponge. I am a lot more consistent with my bh looping than hitting Tongue

Edited by dual700 - 11/20/2011 at 11:53pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 11:59pm

I've been playing with bomb (5-6 of them) , 802-40, double fish, haifu simultaneously and pretty happy with them, but I miss the ability of doing bh loops, then I tried a used spectol 21 (hesitantly) and was able to loop consistently.
So I am hoping that this FD with vertical aligned pips resembles Spectol that has soft pips and soft sponge. I am a lot more consistent with my bh looping than hitting Tongue

which bomb pips?  anyway FD feels like a sticky pip not like spectol  vertical aligned should be more fast than horizontal
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 12:09am
Mainly bomb hammer regular sponge and the Hammer G Tension ones.
They are the fastest sp I ever played with, spectol can't match them, but my sponges are all max, though..
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 1:04am

anyway FD feels like a sticky pip not like spectol  vertical aligned should be more fast than horizontal

It's not sticky, it's grippy. And it's not fast at all comparing to Dolphin or Hexer Pips+, the speed of 2.0mm FD is about the same as 802 on 2.1 sponge. But I liked FD better than 802 and 802-40.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 1:52am

They are the fastest sp I ever played with, spectol can't match them, but my sponges are all max, though..

are bomb pips playing like glued?  where did you get them?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 1:53am
Originally posted by stefashka stefashka wrote:

anyway FD feels like a sticky pip not like spectol  vertical aligned should be more fast than horizontal

It's not sticky, it's grippy. And it's not fast at all comparing to Dolphin or Hexer Pips+, the speed of 2.0mm FD is about the same as 802 on 2.1 sponge. But I liked FD better than 802 and 802-40.

whats the difference between sticky and grippy? and how do you feel hexer pips+?  similar to blowfish?
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 2:05am

are bomb pips playing like glued?  where did you get them?
The G-Tension ones are like glued, very springy and live sponge.
I got them from eacheng.net.
I am selling mines, though... :)
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 4:32am

whats the difference between sticky and grippy? 

Sticky stops, grippy rolls.

and how do you feel hexer pips+?  similar to blowfish?

Love them. I got them on 2.1 sponge (ttnpp don't have thinner), so I had to put them on the soft side of my slowest blade. Started beating people I couldn't beat before. To me, it feels like 802 on steriods. Great control. I can't compare to Blowfish just because I didn't have it. 
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 10:31am

whats the difference between sticky and grippy? 

Sticky stops, grippy rolls.

Love them. I got them on 2.1 sponge (ttnpp don't have thinner), so I had to put them on the soft side of my slowest blade. Started beating people I couldn't beat before. To me, it feels like 802 on steriods. Great control. I can't compare to Blowfish just because I didn't have it. 

what 

what about the spin and speed??  does it click loud when hit?? are you sure that is the plus version horizontal or vertical?
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 4:40pm

what 

what about the spin and speed??  does it click loud when hit?? are you sure that is the plus version horizontal or vertical?

I'm using vertical alignment. Speed is very high - that's why I put it on my slowest blade. Spin is similar to 802, sensitivity to incoming spin is a bit less, I can easily scrub any spin from incoming balls and send my own spin back. So, it works like a classic short pips rubber giving what I expect from it in very good quailty.

It's clicking when hit, but not loud. Why do you need loud clicks?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 5:06pm
   need cliking to get feedback about the spin, so hexer pips+ would be the replacement for 802??  let me get this straight..   vertical is hexer+ and hexer is horizontal??  have you tried the regular version?

Edited by bbkon - 11/21/2011 at 7:46pm
Kaliph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaliph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2011 at 11:12pm
They are actually designed for both. You can cut it either way.

I think the difference between the two is the sponge. I cant tell them apart. Wacko
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2011 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Kaliph Kaliph wrote:

They are actually designed for both. You can cut it either way.

I think the difference between the two is the sponge. I cant tell them apart. Wacko

hows that??  do they have double brand so can be horizontal and vertical?, can you post a pic?Confused
Kaliph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaliph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2011 at 12:21am
Yes, sorry no pics cut them already.
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2011 at 1:55am

need cliking to get feedback about the spin, so hexer pips+ would be the replacement for 802??  let me get this straight..   vertical is hexer+ and hexer is horizontal??  have you tried the regular version?

Hmmm. Confused  How's click gives feedback about spin? Click is louder the flatter your hit is and the higher the speed is. Don't quite get it. Anyway, as a penholder, I'm supposed to feel it all with my finger tips, I don't care about sound too much - maybe just enjoying the quiet buzzing sound when the ball gets loaded with spin on RPB loops Smile

Yes, I see Hexer Pips as a speedy replacement of 802 (not 802-40 with its speedy substitute Haifu Dolphin). Flying Dragon is somewhere in between HP and 802.

Hexer Pips (+) have logo on two adjacent sides of a sheet so you can put it with either alignment. Here's a picture from Andro site, so you have an idea:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic