Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio FLYING DRAGON short-pips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2016 at 9:54am

Just got a sheet of this last night, Havent hit with it yet, just a few observations:
The topsheet is harder than the other pips I've hit with, the sponge is 2.0mm, 36-38 but feels a little harder than the CJ8000 39-41 I have on my double inverted setup. The rubber tended to curl quite a bit out of the packaging, it is listed as a biotech, which I've had good experience with 3 or 4 other Palio Biotech sheets.

The pips are vertically aligned, with fairly close together pips. They appear to be quite wide and stiff. 

The most notable observation I had is this, the friction of the surface of the pips is very high! Not sure if this is the "pana tetra" formulation that packaging wrote about, but simply brushing your hand across the pips, you can feel a very noticable amount of friction. My hope is that this creates a spinny topsheet.

Bouncing the ball on the sheet a few times, it is easy to see the bounce is much higher than the TSP spinpips 21 I have. Looking forward to hitting with this soon.

Edited by jk92 - 05/18/2016 at 9:54am
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
Sponsored Links

jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2016 at 11:06pm
First impressions after hitting with this tonight. Spin is good, but this is not a "spin type" pip (like 802-40 or Super Spinpips). Hitting with an inverted stroke is not going to be effective (as I discovered). 

The sponge was bouncy and speed was quite good. Smashes were fast and forceful, however the sponge + topsheet were both quite hard. The 36-38 was harder than I felt my 39-41 Palio CJ8000 Biotech rubber was. Found that a bit odd. 

Hitting with a more "rolling" stroke was quite effective and spin was quite strong. Blocks had so much punch, and serves had great spin for a pips sheet.

In the end, this is a very good to great pips sheet. Good for someone with good command of short pips techniques, however somewhat unforgiving if you sometimes give an inverted type swing in certain situations. For the price, it is a good attacking sheet and in my mind much better than DHS 651 which I used to hit with.

Ultimately I think I prefer something closer to the TSP Super Spinpips 21 on a more powerful sponge. (Spinpips Blue/Red coming out later this year might be the answer), however I will try to give the Palio Flying Dragon a few weeks of play to see how I fare against other players with it.

I have a few more sheets of short pips to test out but I'm certainly in no rush at the moment
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic