Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola 3000 SC table VS others

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola 3000 SC table VS others
    Posted: 12/23/2010 at 8:39am
My club is going to purchase a few tables soon.  We were looking at the Joola 3000 SC tables (from the Baltimore tournament).  

I saw them mentioned by another member in the "where is the love...Joola" thread. 

For those whom have played on this table, how does the bounce/feel compare to the Butterfly Centerfolds I have played on at the US Open or other ITTF German top tables?   I know the thickness is 22mm not 25mm, but can you say that any of the ITTF approved tables that are 22mm do not have as good of bounce as the 25mm ones?  

Thanks for any opinions from those whom have used this and other comparable top end tables.

Sponsored Links

NickW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 9:36am
I personally think the JOOLA 3000 SC is comparable to the Buterfly Centerfold 25.

Pros and cons of the JOOLA table-

Pros-

1.  Made and designed in Germany.
2.  Robust undercarriage.
3.  High density 22mm wood surface.
4.  Large wheels for transport, very smooth roller.
5.  Clean design using oversized hardware.

Cons-

1.  Friggin' heavy! (Actually a pro too, until you have to lift it.)
2.  Hinge pins are above the table surface in the middle.  They don't affect play but they are noticeable.
3.  Undercarriage paint is soft.

Bounce is comparable.  Bounce is a product of environment- not only table surface, but also undercarriage, flooring, room size, air pressure.  If you're playing in a football dome, the ball will travel slower because the air pressure is higher and the airspace is bigger.  If you're playing in a basement room the ball will travel faster because the air volume is smaller and the pressure is normalized.  Tables are faster on concrete, slower on carpet.

There is a difference between a 22mm and 25mm surface made similarly- the thicker one should resist warping better everything else equal.  There is no discernible playing difference- the ball "ping" sound is exactly the same (the sound is drastically different with a 18mm or thinner table).  The "made in China" tops do not seem to have the same high density as the German tops so I would arguably say the 22mm German tops are better value and higher quality than a 25mm Chinese top, and are a huge step up from a 22mm Chinese top.

Top surface paint is comparable to the Butterfly Centerfold 25mm.  Just as clean, just as hard, just as matte.  Makes a difference when we're used to playing on older Chinese made tables and the paint turns the balls light blue after a few hours use.  Also, we don't get pock/hit/skid marks on the paint on the JOOLA table from the ball hits like we do on the China sourced tables.

I don't know what else you would compare.  I think the JOOLA 3000 SC is a very good buy for institutional/club/tournament use, and is probably severely overkill for home or recreational use unless the player is a serious national level player.

JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 11:40am
In general, if all of the table manufacturers are using equivalent grade chip board for their surface, then a 22 mm thick table will be only 68% as stiff as a 25 mm thick table.   The lower stiffness makes the table slower and the ball bounce lower.

If you have the money, I would not choose anything less than 25 mm in thickness.

Galaxy T1 89 gm

FH: HRT Huaruite Wujilong 2 - Dragon 2 II, Max, Black

Donic Acuda S2, Max, Red
NickW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by JRSDallas JRSDallas wrote:

In general, if all of the table manufacturers are using equivalent grade chip board for their surface...

They don't.  German standards are different from Chinese standards.  Nothing equivalent about them.  Don't be caught up in the hype of table top thickness- undercarriage is as important, if not more so.  An extreme example of differing quality would be an Escalade Sports "Ping Pong"/"Stiga" branded 1" table being nowhere near the same build and materials quality as a Butterfly Centerfold 25 or JOOLA 3000 SC, (we have one of these low grade tables in our club to compare directly).
raptor3x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor3x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

My club is going to purchase a few tables soon.  We were looking at the Joola 3000 SC tables (from the Baltimore tournament).  

I saw them mentioned by another member in the "where is the love...Joola" thread. 

For those whom have played on this table, how does the bounce/feel compare to the Butterfly Centerfolds I have played on at the US Open or other ITTF German top tables?   I know the thickness is 22mm not 25mm, but can you say that any of the ITTF approved tables that are 22mm do not have as good of bounce as the 25mm ones?  

Thanks for any opinions from those whom have used this and other comparable top end tables.

I think if it's good enough for the Olympics, it's good enough for any club.  I have the 2000-S at home and I have no complaints about it whatsoever.

Edited by raptor3x - 12/23/2010 at 3:38pm
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 5:00pm
I own a Butterfly Centerfold 25 and have played on many Joola 3000 SC tables. Of the two, the Joola 3000 SC's frameworks/wheels are sturdier but the Butterfly plays better. The Joola's surface is slicker and a tad faster. The Joola's blue color is also darker than other manufacturers' blue tables, including Butterfly.
BBC, SP, LP
NickW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2010 at 8:28pm
nathanso- it's hard for me to compare two different tables if they aren't side by side in the same playing conditions.  No joke, the Centerfold 25 is THE standard as far as I'm concerned, but for quite a bit less ($200 if you're comparing tournament used pricing) you can get a damn good JOOLA table.  I can't compare a table we played on in Grand Rapids vs. our club location- too completely different environments.

I think the true test is the longevity of the table, and I have no idea if the JOOLA is as good as the Butterfly in that department.  I don't think my club wants to find out- we're probably going to continuously cycle through the tables to keep them fresh.

And for us, JOOLA USA has great customer service to boot.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2010 at 2:52pm
nathanso.....thanks for your precise info comparing the 3000 SC to the Centerfold 25, that is what I was looking for since I have not seen or played on a 3000SC yet.    

NickW.....thanks as well for your good info...I did not know about the hinge pin deal on the 3000 SC.

JRDallas.....I was also wondering about ITTF tables that were only 22mm and not 25mm. 

What about the new Stiga 30mm table?

Edited by Rich215 - 12/24/2010 at 2:52pm
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 11:26am
Necroing this thread: Has anyone experienced the piano hinge breaking on the underside and then attempting to fix them? I will upload a picture later.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Necroing this thread: Has anyone experienced the piano hinge breaking on the underside and then attempting to fix them? I will upload a picture later.
Talk about digging up an ancient thread.  Where's Tutankhamen?

We have six of the 3000SC tables and are about 8 or 9 years old and have't experienced any hinge problems, but we don't fold them.  So what is it you're talking about?
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2019 at 4:32pm
We have to set-up and take-down our tables very often since we don't have 24/7 access to our room. Each table, on average is set-up / taken down four times per week so the hinge mechanisms see a lot of use, which becomes exacerbated with incorrect technique. I will post pictures this evening.  
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 2:10am
any further updates or pics on this topic?

I’m between a Joola 3000 SC or Butterfly Europa for training. 
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 6:57am
Hi,

The "made in China" tops do not seem to have the same high density as the German tops so I would arguably say the 22mm German tops are better value and higher quality than a 25mm Chinese top, and are a huge step up from a 22mm Chinese top.

Ripe are the implications in the statement above questioning the quality of Butterfly products.  Of all that may be treacherous and precarious in pronouncements in this sport, few if any stand higher and more conspicuous than attempts to question the quality standards of the Butterfly corporation products.

The Butterfly tables are manufactured to precise specifications that are closely monitored in application.  The whole world has moved the most complex engineered products to China for manufacturing.  This has been motivated by the millions-of-times demonstration of China's ability to perform to specification.  No exception is found in any Chinese association with Butterfly products.

Butterfly produces great tables.

JOOLA produces great tables.

Were I you, I would purchase the least expensive of the top-of-the-line "used in one tournament" tables from these great table tennis companies.

Thanks.

Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2020 at 2:16pm
I prefer the Centrefold 25 to the Joola 3000 SC. We have both at our club. I like the look and bounce of the Butterfly blue top more. There is less glare on the Butterfly. They are both fine tables though.  

I have also had an older Centrefold 25 with the red frame at home for almost a decade. I just sold it in favor of a new Butterfly Octet 25. I haven’t received the Octet yet. I chose it over the Centrefold because it is two separate pieces. The hinge mechanism weakens over time, so with two pieces, the table should be practically indestructible. If you leave your tables setup all the time, this point won’t matter. I play in my garage, so I constantly have to put the table up to make room for a vehicle. 

Edited by ckhirnigs113 - 09/13/2020 at 2:16pm
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 12:45am
My problem with the Joola tables is the paint and bounce...there seems to be slipping on the ball then on a centerfold...I heard Joola changed their paint recently to solve that issue so it depends on when the tables you are purchasing were made...but i believe people have guided you correctly the wheels and moving mechanism are better on Joola and the bounce is truer on the centerfold...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 2:30am
emihet WELL KNOWS BH-man's issues with glare and grip... Joola has both those issues - too much of each. 

If you are a player with soft shots and light spin slower balls, you will LOVE playing the newer Joola tables in a big tourney. Ball will not skid out like it does on club tables causing all manner of mis-timing and off position error issues for opponents not adjusting.

One day, I will get enough tourney reps to overcome my issues in the glare and grip.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Lambomets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambomets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 2:49am
the Joola 3000 SC tables have very poor durability and lose bounce, grip, paint shine quicker than any table in its price range. This is in stark contrast in particular to the butterfly centerfold tables which i have seen used at active tt clubs in playable condition after a decade with hundreds of thousands of hours of play.
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
Adidas p7
Xiom Omega IV Elite
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 8:18pm
Could it be that such a Joola table will present less differences in play between the beginning and -say- the end of the 3rd year of use than another table having more grippy paint at first but ending with the same slippery touch after those same 3 years? if that's true, it would then be a smart design decision from Joola.
I remember we had the same conversation about rubbers: some people prefer less spinny at first but a loss of spin more spread in time for a longer life cycle while some people are ok selling their used rubber after 1.5 months or less. The analogy stands pretty good and I think people react the same way about the aforementioned tables.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic