Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Sword Yokohama Yue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Sword Yokohama Yue
    Posted: 12/30/2010 at 11:07am
From my recent China trip, I bought a couple of Yokohama Yue (YY) blades. I was busy trying the Sword Ghost so I passed the YY cpen to my friend to try. And guess what happen.. He bought it after his trial and he was kind enough to give me the following review.

His setup: Cpen with RPB, Venus on FH and not sure what he had for BH
Style of play: Chinese loop
He also made some comparision to the YEO and Galaxy MC2.

Composite, thickness and weight:
YY: 5W + 2 ? coating below the top ply, 5.8mm, 83gram
According to Spec: Soft feel, Mid Fast, Offensive blade.

YEO: 5W, 6mm ,76gram (Europe ver)
MC2: 5W + crystal coated surface, 5.7mm, low 80gram (substitute for the Stiga Optimum, looping blade)

Comparison:
Speed: YEO > YY > MC2
Due to the hard top ply of YEO which is Walnut. >>  I will not consider YY to be fast but it has decent speed, slower than YEO but not much. Much faster than MC2 though.

Control:  YY > YEO > MC2
Difference between YEO and MC2 is not obvious. YY has some vibration when hitting, but is only slightly less than YEO. >> This is where this blade shines. YY has very good control, easy to drop the ball low and short even when returning long serve. This is something not easily done with YEO and MC2. It has very good feedback and feel.  You can place the ball anywhere you want to easily.

FH Loop: YY > MC2 > YEO
He loves YY when he tried it, as he had been looking for something better than MC2 for quite a while.. >> This is another aspect where YY shines. I have been focusing on 3-ball attack with this blade, serving heavy under-spin and looping the return. Looping is easy and I feel very confident in returning the ball with high quality FH loop with tons of spin. It is very easy to lift under-spin. It has good dwell time and can generate very deadly spin. My partner was not able to return most of my loop during our session last week. He is from China and is one of the higher ratings in the club. If combine with good placement, this would be the killer shot. After all YY is a looping blade, it delivers what it is made for. YY is definite much better than YEO and probably slightly better than MC2 in this aspect.

Loop Drive: YEO > YY >> MC2

>> My training partner (the same China guy) showed me what YEO is capable of in loop driving. He is using YEO with Nittaku H3 (FH). He can loop drive long or short return (in-table) by contacting the ball early before the highest point.  The result is simply explosive! This is where YEO really shines. YY is also capable to doing that, but not as explosive and powerful as YEO. Nevertheless, YY, though not as powerful as YEO, it is still very decent. MC2 is nowhere near YEO and YY.

Smash: YY, YEO > MC2
Can't really tell the difference. But definitely easier than MC2. >> I can’t say much about smashing as I did not have a lot of chance to smash during my session. YY seems to be as good as YEO and definitely much better than MC2.

Blocks: YEO > YY > MC2 
YEO is stiffer, thus perform better here. >> YY is decent in blocking. YEO is better than YY in this aspect. In blocking, you need both speed and power to threaten your opponent. YEO with better speed and power is better than YY.

Overall:

The quality and finishing of YY is quite good. It is very similiar to Galaxy blades, but I think Butterfly and Xiom blades finishing are better. 

>> If you are looking for a looping blade that can generate tons of spin with great control at a reasonable price, YY is the one. It is better than MC2 in all aspects. If you are looking for more explosive and powerful blade for loop driving, YEO is one for you. However, to bring out the explosiveness from harder blade, you need to have good technique and stroke (with power), else go away them until you have developed the skills to use them.

No blade is perfect, hence it’s more important to match your playing style to the blade (and of cos the rubber).

Some shots!

Edited by Antiq - 01/01/2011 at 3:22am
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2010 at 7:22pm
I really like the looks of this blade. With the mustard yellow and the brown, it's one of those things that are so ugly they're pretty. Smile

I'm interested in trying it. Do you have any FL handles for sale? If so, please PM me with a price.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2010 at 8:16pm

No, I'm keeping the FL for myself :) but not the ST, check out the FS thread..

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2010 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

No, I'm keeping the FL for myself :) but not the ST, check out the FS thread..

Okay. Cry

Thanks for the info, but I'm only interested in a FL.
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 12:28am
After you have a kid you'll realize why everyone hates the mustard yellow and brown colors

Ewww...
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 1:06am
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

After you have a kid you'll realize why everyone hates the mustard yellow and brown colors

Ewww...

That's funny you mention that... I just changed the diapers of my 1 month old daughter. For some reason that color doesn't bother me yet, but I'm new at this. Smile

Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2011 at 3:25am

I've told my friend regarding this post and he had given me more info in blue. Feel free to share your experience if you had tried this blade before...

harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2011 at 5:49am
I tried this blade an must say that is is pretty hard and fast. Greatest strength  are the hard shots, but maybe a bit unpredictable otherwise.

Pretty gppd workmanship though, and a very comfortable handle.
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2011 at 6:33am
Unpredictable ??? What rubber did you use and did you manage to compare it with any other blade?

Fyi, my friend is using Venus 2..
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 1:57am
1 year old Tenergy 64 and 05. I felt the blade behaves somewhat unlinear - the ball dropped into the net frequently on passive returns. Active returns went wide quite often. After 1h or so I could control the blade better, and found it really good on fast and hard shots - I'll play it again next week ...
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 12:08pm
is a good blade for short pips?
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 9:15pm

I have not tried with short pips... IMO, may not be suitable as it is more of a looping blade.

Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2011 at 8:53am
Today, I just have a hit with my YY (Shakehand) with T05 and Baracuda during lunch break.... just some FH practise and then go straight into some relax games.

The combo felt solid, but not heavy. It only weights around 185gram. Very nice feeling when hitting, there is power with good control.. a little less vibration than YEO...

Will have a few more hits  over the weekends...
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 7:48am
I tried the Sword YY a few more times and come to quite like it. It is a nice compromise between carbon and wooden blades. Loops a bit like wooden blades but hits like carbon. Stills it is a pretty fast blade so you need a good hand to control the short game.

Another player who tried it liked the crisp feel and the big amount of spin with this blade (paired with Tenergy).

If you can get it for 25$ (price in China), the blade is very good value for money. Also, people say Guo Yue used this blade in Yokohama Embarrassed
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 10:54am
Originally posted by harldhzx harldhzx wrote:

people say Guo Yue used this blade in Yokohama Embarrassed

Can someone else confirm this?  If it's true, I must have this blade Smile.
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 11:46am

I tried the Sword YY a few more times and come to quite like it. It is a nice compromise between carbon and wooden blades. Loops a bit like wooden blades but hits like carbon. Stills it is a pretty fast blade so you need a good hand to control the short game.

Another player who tried it liked the crisp feel and the big amount of spin with this blade (paired with Tenergy).

If you can get it for 25$ (price in China), the blade is very good value for money. Also, people say Guo Yue used this blade in Yokohama Embarrassed

Yes... totally agree. Thot nobody else get to try this wonderful blade... And didn't know that the price had drop that much : )

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

Yes... totally agree. Thot nobody else get to try this wonderful blade... And didn't know that the price had drop that much : )

I think the price for 1 is around $50 though...
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 10:24am
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8179049227
About $25 ...
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 12:48pm

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8179049227
About $25 ...

most of items at taobao are knock-offs
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Typhoon11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Typhoon11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 3:32am
Hi,

Could you please compare this blade with one of the popular blades, such as Malin Carbon,
TBS, in terms of speed, dwell time, and throw angle?

Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 12:36pm
YY is slightly faster than a 5 ply wood blade because of the 2 special coating underneath the top ply. IMO, it should be slower than TBS and Malin carbon, but more dwell time.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 3:31pm
I think this blade is beautiful. Color combination is similar to Palatinus. If you think that is ugly...
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 3:47pm
this blade is similar to Nittaku Acoustic?
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 11:38am
is this blade like as Nittaku Acoustic?
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 11:51am
Never tried Acoustic. But did played with Tenor, the bigger brother. Very nice blade too!

IMO,
speed: Tenor > YY
Control: YY ~= Tenor
price: Tenor >> YY .. lol

Edited by Antiq - 10/16/2011 at 11:51am
I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2011 at 7:15pm
The handle FL of Yokohama Yue is slim?
What is most suitable on FH? Hard rubbers or soft rubber for this blade?

Edited by scdit46 - 11/11/2011 at 7:16pm
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2011 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

I think this blade is beautiful. Color combination is similar to Palatinus. If you think that is ugly...
I think is nice too! :D I suppose soft  hard rubber pairs better? it has got soft top ply like limba Embarrassed

Edited by zheyi - 11/12/2011 at 11:53am
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2011 at 12:56am
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

The handle FL of Yokohama Yue is slim?
What is most suitable on FH? Hard rubbers or soft rubber for this blade?

I've tried T05 and Baracuda... both works wonderfully.
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2011 at 5:13am
and Androx Hexer  HD?

what is the dimensions of YY? and weight?
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2011 at 10:08am
I suspect it should work well, but I've yet to try it myself.

Blade size is about 152(width) and 154(length). Handle length abt 100. Average SH weight 88gram.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic