Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to reduce speed of a blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ertanp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ertanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to reduce speed of a blade
    Posted: 02/01/2011 at 11:47am
Hi all,

I want to reduce the speed of a blade without changing the rubber.

Has anybody tried this before?

Maybe gluing something like a cloth on the blade will help. Any ideas or experiences?
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 11:54am
If its varnished, sand the varnish off.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 12:06pm
Depends on the varnish. Andro seal would make the blade slower.
ertanp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ertanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 12:51pm

Don't you have to put a lot of it to have noticable change in speed?

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 1:04pm
I think that a professional UV light would do the trick.. Stiga's CR blades are partially UV treated and the UV-treated part of the wood is slower.. I believe that you could do this with any blade and it should work.
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 1:08pm
sand down the surface, lighter weight makes it slower.
Yasaka Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2
BH: Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm
USATT:1876
My Feedback!

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 2:27pm
it would be better to get a slower blade...
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 2:31pm
If you ever want to switch to a slow rubber...  KKT 888, rubber should be ok and really cheap. http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/kokutaku-explosion-blutenkirsche-868.html

Edited by tsanyc - 02/01/2011 at 2:32pm
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 2:47pm
Where would you glue the cloth at? If to the handle, it would dampen any vibration. If to the blade surface, it may work, assuming you could even get the blade to adhere to the cloth.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 4:22pm
make use of ITTF regulation section 2.04.04 to reduce blade weight, by pasting rubbers higher. leaving about a finger size space uncovered.
2.04.04 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material. 

it will reduce weight.. and hence reduce speed.   :)
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

I think that a professional UV light would do the trick.. Stiga's CR blades are partially UV treated and the UV-treated part of the wood is slower.. I believe that you could do this with any blade and it should work.

I believe this is incorrect, at least how Stiga markets it.  Supposedly it dries the wood out and makes it harder, and therefore faster.  For example, the Clipper CR WRB is faster than the Clipper WRB.
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
ertanp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ertanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 4:27pm

I want to make one side of the blade slower. So changing the blade wouldn't help.

I use Tenergy 25 and don't want to change it. I fel that changing thickness of the sponge changes the playing characteristics of the rubber. Don't really want to do it either.

My idea is sticking something (cloth , paper, etc) on the surface of the blade, and then gluing rubber on it. Need to decide which material would be best and also the thickness of it.

Gluing will possible be a problem too. Anything stronger than a TT glue would have the risk of of damaging the blade when it comes to remove it.

I searched the internet on this but couldn't find anything. I think it is an interesting project and may be useful to many people. A few of my friends say they would prefer one side of their blade slower.

MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by ertanp ertanp wrote:

I want to make one side of the blade slower. So changing the blade wouldn't help.

I use Tenergy 25 and don't want to change it. I fel that changing thickness of the sponge changes the playing characteristics of the rubber. Don't really want to do it either.

My idea is sticking something (cloth , paper, etc) on the surface of the blade, and then gluing rubber on it. Need to decide which material would be best and also the thickness of it.

Gluing will possible be a problem too. Anything stronger than a TT glue would have the risk of of damaging the blade when it comes to remove it.

I searched the internet on this but couldn't find anything. I think it is an interesting project and may be useful to many people. A few of my friends say they would prefer one side of their blade slower.

There are a few blades currently available in the market which have exactly what you're talking about. They are most preferred by the modern defender, as they are all wood on one side and have a layer of carbon or some other form of composite on the other. 729 and Nexy are the only two manufacturers that come to mind, but I know there are more who make such a blade.

Nexy - http://www.nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1199

729 - http://zeropong.com/product.php?productid=17609

Edited by MindTrip - 02/01/2011 at 5:09pm
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
ertanp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ertanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by MindTrip MindTrip wrote:

There are a few blades currently available in the market which have exactly what you're talking about. They are most preferred by the modern defender, as they are all wood on one side and have a layer of carbon or some other form of composite on the other. 729 and Nexy are the only two manufacturers that come to mind, but I know there are more who make such a blade.

Nexy - http://www.nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1199

729 - http://zeropong.com/product.php?productid=17609

Most of the 2 speed blades are for defensive players. I am not a defensive player. But 729 Dynasty seems interesting. The blade I want to modify is Timo Boll ZLC. If I slow down one side it'll be perfect  for my style.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 5:49pm
The largest determinant of a blade's speed is its overall stiffness. It's not possible to get that much speed variance between one side and the other. You can get some, but not a lot.
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 5:55pm
Get a custom made ZLC style one from that one chinese company that does custom blades. I am sure someone here knows and will respond to you about that.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 6:25pm
unless you are a professional craftsmen i don't suggest messing with the chemistry of your blade. sealing your blade or putting some kind of sheet on your blade will make a bigger change in the characteristics. the Tenergies 1.7 1.9 2.1 don't play much different, just more control as you go down. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 
geotjakra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geotjakra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 7:24pm
I've bought a cheap paddle with sand paper instead of rubber, then I glued on a rubber right on top of the sandpaper, felt like a great carbon blade, except it is more balanced in hardness all around the surface.
And a friend of mine tried gluing one of those thicker transparent surface protector between the blade and the sponge of the rubber (just use a normal WBG(water based glue/or tear meander), and that seems to work in reducing the speed and increase the control of the blade. I don't think this would harm the blade or the sponge in anyway, but try at your own risk....
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Carbon TT Carbon TT wrote:

Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

I believe this is incorrect, at least how Stiga markets it.  Supposedly it dries the wood out and makes it harder, and therefore faster.  For example, the Clipper CR WRB is faster than the Clipper WRB.
You are right.. I recalled incorrectly.. I thought that the CR (UV treated) was slower but it was actually faster but also had more control or something like that..
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 11:00pm

The most effective way -from my experience- is to use three Tibhar glue sheets stacked on top of each other (without protective paper, just the clear sheet in each layer) to attach the rubber.

Make sure each sheet is put on the blade perfectly flat without any air bubbles.  Another thing to watch for is if your rubber has maximum sponge, make sure the total thickness including glue sheets is less than 4mm.  After you attached the rubber this way, it will produce a nice dampening effect without changing the rubber's feel.  

Smile
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 7:09am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

The most effective way -from my experience- is to use three Tibhar glue sheets stacked on top of each other (without protective paper, just the clear sheet in each layer) to attach the rubber.

Make sure each sheet is put on the blade perfectly flat without any air bubbles.  Another thing to watch for is if your rubber has maximum sponge, make sure the total thickness including glue sheets is less than 4mm.  After you attached the rubber this way, it will produce a nice dampening effect without changing the rubber's feel.  

Smile
That is very clever, you can put something in the middle of the glue sheet too, that might help. But make sure it is not visible from the side, because that is illegal.. LOL
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 9:50am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

make use of ITTF regulation section 2.04.04 to reduce blade weight, by pasting rubbers higher. leaving about a finger size space uncovered.
2.04.04  The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material. 

it will reduce weight.. and hence reduce speed.   :)

Also makes the balance of the blade shift to the top hence head heavy.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 10:36am
So much trouble.....just get a slower blade from China for like $12 + shipping.   Case solved!   Wink

joris View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:54pm
Make some holes on the blade
Here are the pictures
http://www.bokett.com/tt/dispbbs.asp?boardid=119&Id=347982&page=3
joris
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 2:55am

I've noticed that playing on a slower (non-slick) table makes a fast blade much more enjoyable.

firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 2:58am
Toni Hold Dampingfoil some defenders use this to slow down their blade,might not be as effective with thick inverted(click on image)
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic