Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tuttle 888 rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tuttle 888 rubber
    Posted: 02/03/2011 at 12:52pm
Thanks to razortt from FastPaddle, a few of forummers are given a chance to test some of new Tuttle rubbers. Here starts my review of Tuttle 888.

Photos first:

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2011 at 12:54pm
Some standard info about the rubber:

Brand: Tuttle
Name: 888
Thickness: 2.1
Tackiness: some (below medium, I would say)
Hardness: 33/30 - topsheet/sponge (I have Hard version of 888, by the way)
Weight: seems surprisingly heavier than expected. Cut piece is about 48 g.

Sponge has this rather strange sandy feel. It's yellowish, very dry and rather porous. Looks like a thin sheet of pumice!

I have put it on my Galaxy T-4 (together with Tuttle's World No.1). Will try and play this combo soon.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2011 at 6:51pm
First 20 minutes playing with Tuttle World No.1 on FH and Tuttle 888 on BH - on Galaxy T-4 (very fast, OFF+, relatively thin but not too flexy carbon blade).

Both rubbers are indeed very controlled, not too fast - although World No.1 seems to have a bit more speed than 888 (which is understandable even if they have more or less same speed rating, as 888 is somewhat tacky).

W#1 also seems a tad harder-sponged than 888 - we will see if I am right when I get the cutouts to my friend with durometer.

So far I liked the play - but it seems that for my style I will absolutely have to put them on a very fast blade, otherwise I might not be able to produce required speed. Unfortunately, I haven't put enough glue when putting on 888, and in the middle of my practice half of the rubber peeled off.

I will repeat the test in a couple of days after proper re-gluing.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 12:54am
Played much more with the same combo. I liked how W#1 plays on the FH of T-4, but I will talk about that in another review.

As far as 888 is concerned, I think it will better serve someone else. It is a bit too slow for me - and when you recall it is sitting on T-4 you will realize it means something. It plays pretty good with slow, controlled shots close to the table. Also sometimes it dropped the shots even when I was pushing the ball properly but I suspect it might be still the effect of fresh glue, teh rubber is settling down.

On FH I didn't like its behavior at all - not much spin, speed is very ALL+, bad block when away from the table. Not my cup of tea, mates... sorry

So it is probably best when paired up with something like an ALL+ blade with relatively hard outer layers. I suggest Stiga Allround Classic or something similar.

If someone who plays that style (ALL+ at the table) or uses Allround Classic would like to test it - let me know. USA-48 + Canada residents only please.

I took it off and replaced it with LV on BH. Will post my impressions in another review.

razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 2:04am
Thanks JimT for the review. Were you able to block incoming fast loop with Tuttle 888 ?
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 12:02pm
It blocks pretty well - as a matter of fact on such a superfast blade as T-4 it is one of the things that 888 is good for. Because it muffles the impact and it's slower than my usual rubbers, I was able to do a short block better. However, not so great for fast power blocks, especially if you are not standing right there at the table.

I have already put LV (also Red) instead of it on BH. Will try and post very soon... I hope. Tongue

Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 3:00pm
I'm puting LV, and 888 on a blade for tonight.  This should be interesting.
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 3:05pm
The 888 has a porous sponge and is 70 grams uncut = same weight than a Genius uncut (heavy rubber expected to be around 50 grams cut --> edit: it is 49 grams cut). I'll use it on the forehand this afternoon (the LV is only 60 grams uncut = light rubber i'll put it on bh --> edit: it is 43 grams cut).
I'll slap those 2 sheets on my daughter's ALL round 75 grams Borko blade. I might make it my coaching blade as my blocks will be easier for the "coachees".
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 4:33pm
Pardon my ignorance, (and my level)
but why would you ever block away from the table?

It's my general understanding that the closer the table you are, the smaller the strokes you need (for faster recovery) and the further from the table, the bigger the strokes you can afford (because you have more time to recover, and need to make up for the loss of spin/speed at that distance).

Blocking at mid distance or further seems like a bad idea in general.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, (and my level)
but why would you ever block away from the table?

It's my general understanding that the closer the table you are, the smaller the strokes you need (for faster recovery) and the further from the table, the bigger the strokes you can afford (because you have more time to recover, and need to make up for the loss of spin/speed at that distance).

Blocking at mid distance or further seems like a bad idea in general.

maybe JimT means fishing/lobbing.
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 11:08pm

I guess I'll put in my ten cents here now.  I played with this rubber most of the evening.  Thanks for the pictures Jim!  They help in describing this rubber.  The basic personal observations of the rubber are these.  The rubber is not particularly smooth.  It's almost as if the rubber is textured.  It reminds me of Air Illumina rubbers which have kind of a rough looking inverted surface.  The other interesting thing about the actual rubber is the pips are really short.  I've never seen such short pips in an inverted rubber.  Jim had a nice description of the sponge in that it looks like a pumice stone.  It was very difficult to keep this rubber glued to the blade tonight, and I have never had that problem ever.  The pumice stone sponge soaks up the glue so you might have to use more glue than normal.  I put this rubber on a very fast carbon blade.  It's a custom blade that is very similar to a PC.  The playing characteristics of the rubber weren't quite what I was expecting.  I was expecting the rubber to be slower than most rubbers I have played, but the rubber did feel pretty grippy to a finger touch.  When playing this rubber it was not spinny at all.  This does have some advantages.  It's sensitivity to incoming spin is almost nothing which makes blade angles very easy.  It would be great for people learning blade angles for the first time.  It's also good for someone who clearly has a quickness deficiency on a particular side cause the blade angles aren't very touchy, and blocking is very easy with this rubber.  Counters are easy enough just know that if speed is what you are looking for this rubber just doesn't have it in that department.  I wish I could tell you what it chops like but I don't do that much at all.  I can say pushing is kinda tough with this rubber, cause of the lack of grip it pops up alot of balls, and the balls that popped up were pretty darn easy to attack.  Looping was kinda difficult there wasn't much drop on the ball, and no kick off the table.  On the plus side people hit topspin counters into the net all night against the 888 cause there was just no spin on the ball. Smile

In another thread we'll talk about No. 1, and LV which I enjoyed both moreso than 888.

Edited by Skippy - 02/07/2011 at 6:03pm
Xiom Zetro Quad
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2011 at 12:03am

Thanks for the interesting reviews. I am excited about other tester's reviews as well. No rush.
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2011 at 6:21pm
I'm waiting for JimT to start review threads with the pictures for the other two rubbers, as when I take closeup pictures of rubbers they are a disaster.  Smile  Jim your pictures were perfect for the reviews!  I don't have a particularly flexible blade at my disposal to try the 888 on just to see if there's a spin factor to the rubber when placed on a blade with more natural dwell to it.  Sorry Razor.  I really really enjoyed the World No. 1 sheet.  Much more than I had previously expected.  I wanna hit with it a couple more weeks to see what it plays like at the end of the month.  If it lasts awhile I think that rubber may be very popular Razor. 
Xiom Zetro Quad
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2011 at 7:03pm
I took the pictures but they are at home right now. I will bring the SD card with me to the office tomorrow and will start W#1 thread and will post the pictures.

razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2011 at 11:00am
Thanks for the note on World#1. Hopefully the rest of the testers will chime in soon. 
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 10:47am

Received rubbers in two days by fastpaddle.com, a big up to their expedite services.  Thanks Razortt...

Packages for all 3 rubbers are rather big compare to the norm.  Both LV & WN1 comes in vacuumed pack.  & All included the tensor protective film sheets.

I have been testing these two rubbers(LV & 888) for almost a week on my custom Ian Worz’s Tri-Carbon Cpen.  Will have pics up tonite.

First Impressions:  888:  Has Chinese characters of “Luck” and under 888:  “Prosperity”.  Just as accurately described by JimT, the sponge has many small open pores(HoneyComb Structure as indicated in description for this rubber).  slightly tacky, and very grippy.  I opened up the uncut portion, and discovered the pins under the top sheet are small & closely packed.  This is the soft Version in Max.  I also had problems gluing with rubber cement cause the first layer got soaked into the sponge right away.  After a day under some weights, I performing the spin test like RSM before he serves, I can prematurely say that this rubber is not very spinny.  The reverse spin on the second bounce hitting rubber with a closed-angle racket is almost non-existent.    

888 in session:

The rubber is also loud, but not quite getting the attention like LV.  I have to work extra hard to get the ball in topspin mode that I want because the speed of the rubber. 

Serving:  spin on this rubber is primarily relying on you mechanics.  I really have to dig into the sponge & then some to produce my normal spinny serves, even that, it didn’t come out the way that I wanted.  So it’s harder to perform spinny short serves.  It’s surprising why the spin ratio is so low for a grippy soft sponged rubber.      

Looping: All types of looping are easy to do, especially for a beginner; you’ll get a very good feel.  Probably cause of the grippiness & soft sponge.  Don’t expect to blow your opponents away unless you are very close to the table.  I wonder how this would perform after time when grippiness declines…

Blocking:  The best part of this rubber is blocking loops & returning it with no-spins.  IMO, this rubber has Short-Pins similarities in this department.  Regular blocking works great if you are training a looper.  Counter Looping might be harder to do, you’ll have to hit extra harder & follow-thru with a full stroke or it’ll end up at the net.

Serving:  This rubber is better at receiving serves cause it just flat out kills most of the incoming spins.  For players that like to chop or push everything back from services, this is YOUR rubber!!!

In conclusion I will rate TUTTLE 888 (Soft Black) as follows:

Speed: 6 out of 10

Spin: 5 out of 10

Control: 9 out of 10

Sponge hardness: Very Soft

Top Sheet: Slightly Tacky & Very Grippy

Category: ALL

FYI, quite a handful of my clubmates have inquired about the new TUTTLE rubbers, and I have referred them all to Fastpaddle.com….Hopefully you’ll generate more sales from this…=)

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 02/10/2011 at 10:50am
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 12:51pm
Thanks Pingpongholic
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 2:30pm
Nice review.
Interesting that you got the soft version.
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 10:36pm

My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 4:43am
My Tuttle 888 review:
Thanks to razortt and fastpaddle I've received a red, 2.1mm Tuttle 888
hard to test and review. This is a first impression of the rubber.
The rubber came in a very simple packaging. None of the money was
wasted on fancy packaging or graphic design. According to pingpongrob
it's supposed to be tuned because it's a hard version, but mine was
not vacuum sealed (came in a regular plastic bag) and didn't bounced
like a tuned rubber. So I think I am reviewing a 2.1 untuned hard
version. If skippy's LV soft is tuned my 888 hard can be untuned.

As I am using a backup digital camera that doesn't do closeups well I
can only refer to Jim's pics. The rubber, Tuttle 888, is a copy of
Mark V and Sriver, or may be a copy of Inspirit and Blue Whale type
of grippy rubbers. It's not sticky like hurricane, but has more
tack than Japanese rubbers like Mark V. 888 is supposed to be the
slower, more controllable of the three (of LV, 888, WN1). The sponge
is very dry and has little holes, the best for speed gluing if you
still experiment with glue.

I first cut it to a Nittaku Acoustic with the World No 1 2.1 black soft
as the backhand rubber, but after playing for 5 minute I realized the
rubber lack bounce that it's too slow for the blade. It plays slower
than some defensive rubbers because it doesn't have any spring. It may
be just because it was not broken in or that it was not tuned when
it should be. I realized that I can't wait for it to be broken in so
I moved it to the springiest blade I have, the Nexy Oscar. Oscar has a
middle layer that provides more spring to the blade than any other blade
that I have played with. It is that feature that make it the best for hard
sponged rubbers that lack spring. I then put three layers of Elmers'
rubber cement (just my luck my glue is pretty thin when I bought it).
This may change the rubber's property a little but I hope I am OK. I
think that once the rubber is broken in it would be just as soft with the
layers; the glue just save the time. On the backhand I put on a thin
(1.5mm?) regular Mark V for comparison. Mark V has more spring and faster
but 888 is not bad and has a good "hold" of the ball.

Playing with this setup for ten to twenty minutes two time this past week
I found 888 to be very spiny on loops, an ideal rubber for forehand,
but it also blocks well like Mark V because it's not too sticky. 888 don't
have the Mark V spring and I have to work hard to loop even on Oscar, so I
think 888 only plays well on very springy blades. The speed of the
blade itself doesn't matter too much. It's the dead feeling of the
rubber that the blade should help. The short game, blocking, and hitting
are quite good because of the lack of spring though. Since this is meant to
be a allround rubber, for it's price I can't find better. Inspirit don't
have glue feel like 888. It has less dwell time, spin and control.
Hurricane is too offensive and sticky for it to be allround. Hurricane
takes on too much spin and if you are not an expert at return you may
lose the point right away. 888 can help your return but can also generate
85% hurricane spin on serve. That's enough for anybody, any allrounder
anyway. 888 doesn't have the finish power like a Inspirit Quattro; it's
not for the player who wants to has the speed to blast past his opponent.
The power shots are spiny enough to pop the ball up to set up an easy
smash. 888 offers more control, spin and lack of speed! Sometimes it's
good to slow down to get a full swing of all you shots. You may enjoy
doing work(exercise) for a change.

One thing I think I would recommend to the manufacture is that this rubber
must be tuned and heavily tuned for it to be good. The tuning should add
spring to the rubber so that everyone can use it on a normal blade. I
highly recommend this rubber to the player that wants the spin of the
hurricane but not the stickiness of the rubber. 888 plays 50% like a
Mark V, the classic allround rubber, and 50% like Hurricane,
on the Oscar. It plays like a slower and less sticky neo hurricane.
It's only recommend for close-to-the-table play.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic