Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS Memo 2 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS Memo 2 review
    Posted: 02/03/2011 at 11:53pm
i decided not to keep my dhs memo 3 because it was too soft for my forehand and it wasn't right for my stroke. i remembered that the memo 2 was a bit harder than the memo 3 so i bought one and slapped it on my alternate racket which is a donic epox offensiv with 802-40 on the bh. 

the rubber:
it was as usual a smelly chinese rubber but not as bad as the neo series. the topsheet is not tacky but more on grippy like those of the tensors like baracuda or acuda. the topsheet has good quality production and is smooth on the hands. pressing on the rubber, i reckon its about 38 degrees eventhough the packaging says its 40 degrees. its 2.15mm in thickness.. if memo 2 is 38 degrees memo 3 is softer and feels like a 37 degree rubber.

fh to fh drives:
i was surpised to see that this rubber is very bouncy and is fast on my initial testing. its definitely an upgrade on the speed department compared to the neo skylines or hurricanes. its not as fast as the usual tensor rubbers but its more than bouncy compared to its chinese predecessors. i reckon the memo 2 speed is that of a mark v or sriver. 8/10

fh loops:
the rubber is good for looping. the throw angle is low to medium. it is spinny enough but not as spinny as compared to its other dhs brothers. 8/10

fh loop drives:
this is my ultimate measurement in choosing a rubber for my fh. i asked one of our national coaches to serve a half long spinny underspin serves to my forehand. the serve was low and almost hit a double bounce on the table. looped it on the rise above the table and produced a fast and sharp with average spin loop drive but with a very low throw angle. im impressed with it very much im keeping it for some time to further test it. 9/10

smashes and counters:
what i hated about the skyline 3 or any other tacky dhs rubber is that if you hit flat with it you have great chances to hit the net since the tacky surface of the rubber hampers the flight of the ball. with the memo 2 i find hitting or countering loops easier because its like smashing our countering with a euro or jpn rubber. the power of this rubber is still good enough even if you are at middle distance like 5 feet. this is made for near the table and mid distance away from the table. 9/10

short game:
flicks are ok nothing spectacular. good control on drop shots or short pushes. the other bonus is that this rubber is not sensitive to incoming spin. 7.5/10

service:
above average spin production but not as spinny as the skylines. 7.5/10

overall impression:
this is a rubber that is worth more than its price. i would put this rubber in the same level as that of a dawei inspirit or darker v-lon but not as the thor's. awesome control and this rubber will always be underestimated unless you have tried it yourself. it looks a puny rubber with a bad office equipment name but its more than meets the eye. i do not recommend this to beginners since this is fast above average. 8/10
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 8:37am
after a game im quite impressed with it though it needs a little more spin IMO. its weight is that of a typical non orange sponged chinese rubber which is not light nor heavy. the sound is good to hear with a bit of a clicking sound
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 8:43am
Thanks, I was going to try this rubber .
mil View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 9:02pm
I think it is the most euro-like rubber from dhs, good catapult and feel for a Chinese rubber. it is still not suitable for someone who playes an euro forehand. An interesting choice though
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 12:33am
I've been playing with it on my BH for a while.  To me, it's faster than MarkV and Sriver.  I have Neo H2 on the FH side.  For low speed swings, it's bouncier and feel faster than H2.  But H2 is faster at full swing.  It plays like a Chinese rubber, but bouncier and less sensitive to incoming spin.  I really like it on my BH for blocking and returning of servers.  I think it is a better than other Chinese rubbers around the same price (Palio biotechs, 729 creams, ...)
One problem I have is that it domes pretty badly and doesn't stick well with Elmer's rubber cement.  I have to reglue every other week or so (rarely need to reglue H2).
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 5:07am
im using elmer's rubber cement with 10% lighter fluid and never had any problems with doming. depends on what stroke. i find it faster than h2 on loop drives or any other strokes that lets you sink the ball on the sponge

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 8:15am
maybe you have gotten urself a bad batch. dhs is known to have issues with quality control. My h2 neo domed up even before gluing...plays but im wondering how it usually is
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 8:41am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

im using elmer's rubber cement with 10% lighter fluid and never had any problems with doming. depends on what stroke. i find it faster than h2 on loop drives or any other strokes that lets you sink the ball on the sponge

10% lighter fluid + rubber cement = speed glue.

some sponges are more reactive to the chemicals in lighter fluid.

it's possible that the memo2 sponge is simply more reactive than the h2 sponge to the VOC solvents you are using.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 6:57pm
there's no really speed glue effect with 10% lighter fluid since the sponge and rubber don't even expand. ive been using this for 2 years now on my tensor rubbers and never had any problems.. im only using the lighter fluid to lessen the viscosity of the elmer's rubber cement since its so thick of a fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic