Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tuttle LV Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tuttle LV Rubber
    Posted: 02/10/2011 at 11:00am

I guess I'm the first one to write a review of this rubber...=)

Received rubbers in two days by fastpaddle.com, a big up to their expedite services.  Thanks Razortt...

Packages for all 3 rubbers are rather big compare to the norm.  Both LV & WN1 comes in vacuumed pack.  & All included the tensor protective film sheets.

I have been testing these two rubbers(LV & 888) for almost a week on my custom Ian Worz’s Tri-Carbon Cpen.  Will have pics up tonite.

First Impressions:  LV:  Looks like german sponge and reminded me a lot like Focus 3’s Snipe, I was impressed with the quality.  Has characteristics of Snipe also, slightly tacky, and not all that grippy.  Pins under the top sheet are medium large, perhaps just a shade smaller than T25.  I got the Hard Version in Max, and it’s similar to DHS scale of 39-40 degress.    After gluing (rubber cement 1layer), I tried bouncing the ball on the racket.  It behaves very lively & spinny.  I would give a rating of 7 in spin compare to 9 with BW2 & Apollo Tuned after some serving into my bed exercises.  It’s much heavier than the Focus 3 Snipe. 

LV in session:

The rubber is very loud on rallies, just as loud as JO Golds, & Nimbus from my previous experience. 

Looping: Control Looping is easy.  Brush looping is surprisingly effective for a slightly grippy topsheet, perhaps the rubber is working harder here.  It does however slips out of the rubber in a few instances just like Neo H3 & Andro Tensors like Impuls.  Rubber has very good feel, slightly high throw with my OFF+ blade.  This is probably the faster of the two rubbers in comparison with 888, I haven’t able to test the WN1 yet. 

Pushes/Short Game: This rubber has very good touch, and it behaves very well in the short game with pushes.  Flips are easy as well to do with this rubber.

Blocking: This rubber has tensor characteristics, it’s fairly bouncy but not in a consistent manner cause sometimes the ball would just fly away from the table or drop in front of me like a dead bird from blocking incoming loops.  Maybe it’s because of the medium size pins.  Let me know if you guys experienced the same thing.   Sometimes i like to block into dead spin to counter loops, and this rubber is good at that, but not as well as 888.

Serving:  I was accurate to rate the spin ratio while practicing my serves on my bed, or I can be using the wrong technique for this type of rubber.  I believe that this rubber belongs in the OFF- category.  Very good at long serves than short.  Even tho the rubber is bouncy, it performs surprisingly well in short serves. 

In conclusion I will rate LV (Hard Red) as follows:

Speed: 7 out of 10

Spin: 7 out of 10

Control: 8 out of 10

Sponge hardness: Medium

Top Sheet: Slightly Tacky & Slightly Grippy

Category: OFF-

I am curious as to how the softer version plays???  To be continued… 

My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Sponsored Links

davidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 11:09am
Nice review.  Thanks!
PG7 (Skyline 2, LKT XP)
YEO (Skyline 2, Skyline 3)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 11:37am
Weight: uncut 66 g
Hardness: 39/39 - topsheet/sponge

Photos:

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 11:43am
LV seems like a nice ALL+/OFF- rubber, a bit better for my tastes than 888. Less tacky but still has some.

I would recommend it to the allround/off- combination style players who mostly stay close to the table and like both very good control in short game, pushes and flips as well as spin produced for the serves and opening loops.

It lacks a bit of speed for the consistent and powerful attack but if you have it installed on a fast blade then you shouldn't have that problem. However, when you step away from the table - especially if you need to attack or push/block from more than 6-7 feet away - then it doesn't do the job for you, you'd have to readjust your swing and power.

I also liked how it chopped - very reliably and with relatively low angle. Smashes are OK but nothing extraordinary, and on brush loops it sometimes dropped the ball - probably needs the angle to be somewhat more open to grab the ball which I didn't expect from a slightly tacky rubber (compared to a completely non-tacky one like W#1).

razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

LV seems like a nice ALL+/OFF- rubber, a bit better for my tastes than 888. Less tacky but still has some.

I would recommend it to the allround/off- combination style players who mostly stay close to the table and like both very good control in short game, pushes and flips as well as spin produced for the serves and opening loops.

It lacks a bit of speed for the consistent and powerful attack but if you have it installed on a fast blade then you shouldn't have that problem. However, when you step away from the table - especially if you need to attack or push/block from more than 6-7 feet away - then it doesn't do the job for you, you'd have to readjust your swing and power.

I also liked how it chopped - very reliably and with relatively low angle. Smashes are OK but nothing extraordinary, and on brush loops it sometimes dropped the ball - probably needs the angle to be somewhat more open to grab the ball which I didn't expect from a slightly tacky rubber (compared to a completely non-tacky one like W#1).

Hi JimT,
Did you use rubber cement with this rubber ? 

Thanks
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by razortt razortt wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Hi JimT,
Did you use rubber cement with this rubber ? 

Thanks

Yes I did. Just one layer of rubber cement.

Is Tuttle strongly recommending to NOT use rubber cement glue?

razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 12:49pm
No, they are perfectly fine with rubber cement. In fact I personally think they play better with rubber cement. 
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 10:39pm

My FS/FT

Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2011 at 11:34am
I think the soft version of the LV is just too soft for it's topsheet.  My expirience with the rubber was completely different from the other two with the LV.  I couldn't brush loop at all with the LV it just wouldn't allow enough resistance to the ball.  Almost everything had to be somewhat open faced and almost everything had to initially start out open faced and you could close over the top of the ball on very active strokes in which you had already made solid contact with the ball and manipulate blade angles in mid stroke.  I would have really liked to have tried the hard version of this rubber, cause I really liked the topsheet (yes the cover was fine I don't get carried away with that stuff).  It felt like a pretty grippy topsheet, and it would really spin the ball on counters in which you drove the ball, but anything that required fine contact it just wouldn't grab.  If anyone has anymore questions about the LV Soft feel free to ask, but that's a summary of what it would do, and a little bit of what it wouldn't do.  On the plus side I had a great night with W#1 hard on forehand, and LV Soft on backhand.  Everyone missed blocks off my backhand all night cause for every 5 shots I hit with my backhand 3 would be like I hit it with anti, and 2 would be very spinny.  The downside to that was if they hit it back I didn't really know what was on it.
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2011 at 12:35pm
My tuuttle LV (black) has a big line going through it andI can feel it when passing the finger on it. It is about a 1/4 inch thick and go all through the rubber. I'll make pictures.
I played with it and it's best for beginner because it is so slow. Maybe too spinny for a beginner.
More to come.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2011 at 12:51pm
Here is what I was talking about. I thought it would go away after a few days but it did not. The package itself was not folded in any way.

I just got unlucky I guess. No big deal. It's just for testing.

I found it a bit faster than the 888 while its spin cpabilities were inferior to 888. I found out that the incoming spin had less reactions on the LV but I had better flat hits. 

Counter looping with the 888 felt better  and after an hour I was only using the LV on BH and 888 on FH.

It is the best rubber for kids on a budget who want to develop the right stroke in a spin based game.

I recommend it to control players on a budget.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2011 at 12:55pm
OK I am ready to send the LV to another tester. Today and tomorrow I will play the same blade with 888 and World #1).
Whoever wants this LV rubber please send me your address in a PM if you want to test it and give your word that you will write a review here.
Thank you again razortt.
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2011 at 3:58pm
Oh, that's not a bad idea.  Whoever buys the Noveliars can test those tuttle rubbers too! 
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 10:11am

After another week of testing, I realized that the LV has showed more pop to it.  Maybe it takes some breaking in for the tuners to shine.  Speed & Spin both have increased a notch, nothing crazy, but it’s worth noting.  After each session, I would clean & place my setups under 2 x 25lb weights.  Same goes for the Tuttle 888, it’s notably (slightly) faster.  There seems to be no durability issues after approximately 30hours of playing, everything still looks almost like new.  Topsheets don’t have any chips even though I have hit the table in numerous occasions. (not intentionally) =)  As for my nitpicking, the LV’s linearity is very inconsistent, at least on my OFF+ blade.  That probably explains the "slippage" issue during looping. IMHO, I believe the medium pips are cause of this problem.  Or the rubber will pair better with a lower speed blade.  I will try to slap it on a handshake ( V6 )& play as a chop/blocker.  It'll be difficult without having any LPs on hand=S....more exercise for me then...

Any updates from other testers? 

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 02/16/2011 at 10:19am
My FS/FT

EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 10:29am

LV is as interesting as its package hehehehe. I have the 868 tokyo tacky JP sponge, and it works wonders for me, I will try TULPE LV then hehehehe

Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 11:12am
fatt would you send it outside the US?
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 2:22pm
Of course; send me a PM with your address.
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 2:57pm
Fatt do you send one for ASIA, I love to it for review
Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

OK I am ready to send the LV to another tester. Today and tomorrow I will play the same blade with 888 and World #1).
Whoever wants this LV rubber please send me your address in a PM if you want to test it and give your word that you will write a review here.
Thank you again razortt.

Thanks Fatt for your help!
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 7:48pm
lv's packaging is "hot" Wink
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 11:56pm
My Tuttle LV hard tuned review:
Thanks to razortt and fastpaddle I've also received a red, 2.1mm Tuttle LV
hard to test and review. This is a first impression of the rubber.
The rubber came in a very simple packaging. It's tuned and has a glue feel
that makes it feel lot softer than 888.

I cut and glued the LV to PeterC's Nexy Spear and again put the World No 1
soft on the back hand. LV plays very similar to 888. 888 is a bit more
linear, a little slower, a little harder (perhaps not tuned), a little
more spin, and a little easier to control. LV is linear enough, fast enough,
and spiny enough to be a forehand rubber. It has plenty control. It has nice
glue feel that even some expensive rubber don't have. It has great spin.
This is a offensive- rubber for players of all level, not just beginners. It's
meant for players who has little money to spend and wants to be competitive.
It plays well on even average speed blades, and certainly both wood and
composite, but I think fast all wood blades like Clipper are best. I will
try it on a Borko custom later.

I want to repeat that both 888 and LV plays half like MArk V and half like
Neo Hurricane. LV can be used for close to the table as well as midistance.
It's one of the better allround offensive rubber for your money. Go try
this rubber yourself for more than the graphic!
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 4:48am
Both the LV and 888 are still getting faster.
I am asking the manufacture to please don't put a red stamp on the sponge of 888 and LV because it will leave a red mark on the blades that I put the rubbers on!!!
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

Both the LV and 888 are still getting faster.
I am asking the manufacture to please don't put a red stamp on the sponge of 888 and LV because it will leave a red mark on the blades that I put the rubbers on!!!

Yes I will relay the message to the manufacturer.
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 4:09pm
I have martian22's  shipping address in UK. I will send him the LV rubber free of charge Monday morning - maybe I can have a reminder Sunday night :)
I will write more about those rubbers as I'll play more with them this weekend.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 6:59pm
I actually shipped the LV rubber to martian22 last Saturday (4 days ago). Hopefully he recieves it this Saturday or maybe Monday. He'll tell us.

martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 7:08pm
Il give my first impressions hopefully sometime next week. I will test it on a stiga OC blade. My club on tuesday has been cancelled but il post something up by thursday.
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic