FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[Video] Rate me and give me tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Video] Rate me and give me tips
    Posted: 03/05/2011 at 10:27am
Thanks for checking this out. I was just wondering approximately what USATT level you would rate me at. I'm also trying to improve my game so I'm accepting constructive tips. Thanks again.
I'm using Friendship 802-1 shortpips on the backhand and Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft on the forehand like I have in my signature.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 11:16am
Without seeing you playing an actual game where we can see your serves, serve return, reading spin, how you construct a point, and how you react to a ball that is coming back to different locations, its very difficult to guess a USATT rating.  

However, based on this clip I would put you around 1100-1200.  Your strokes, both BH and FH are way too long.  On your FH, all your body weight ends up on on your left side resulting in a heavy lean to that side and makes it very difficult for you to recover for the next FH stroke.  You don't get yourself in good position with your feet and end up lunging a lot.  You need shorter back swing on your FH loop and a much shorter follow through, keeping yourself more balanced.  You end up off balance and end up losing a lot of power on your FH.  Despite your long stroke you are not transferring much energy into the ball - your stroke is mostly arm, no legs or body.   

Because of your long stroke and balance issues, you are not able to recover to a neutral position with your body to start your next stroke and you go from 1 stroke to the next without any recovery to a neutral position.  Without that you won't be able to respond to a ball that comes to different locations as it does in a typical point.

Learn to FH loop with a more compact stroke, shifting your weight from your right leg to your left leg.  Use your left leg to stop your momentum and get your weight back for quicker recovery.

Similarly, your BH stroke is also way too big.  You have a strange looking push/punch BH sometimes.  BH block off the bounce looks pretty decent.

Your timing seems OK although I didn't pay much attention to it.  Concentrate on shorter strokes with better balance and your game will improve significantly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Without seeing you playing an actual game where we can see your serves, serve return, reading spin, how you construct a point, and how you react to a ball that is coming back to different locations, its very difficult to guess a USATT rating.  

However, based on this clip I would put you around 1100-1200.  Your strokes, both BH and FH are way too long.  On your FH, all your body weight ends up on on your left side resulting in a heavy lean to that side and makes it very difficult for you to recover for the next FH stroke.  You don't get yourself in good position with your feet and end up lunging a lot.  You need shorter back swing on your FH loop and a much shorter follow through, keeping yourself more balanced.  You end up off balance and end up losing a lot of power on your FH.  Despite your long stroke you are not transferring much energy into the ball - your stroke is mostly arm, no legs or body.   

Because of your long stroke and balance issues, you are not able to recover to a neutral position with your body to start your next stroke and you go from 1 stroke to the next without any recovery to a neutral position.  Without that you won't be able to respond to a ball that comes to different locations as it does in a typical point.

Learn to FH loop with a more compact stroke, shifting your weight from your right leg to your left leg.  Use your left leg to stop your momentum and get your weight back for quicker recovery.

Similarly, your BH stroke is also way too big.  You have a strange looking push/punch BH sometimes.  BH block off the bounce looks pretty decent.

Your timing seems OK although I didn't pay much attention to it.  Concentrate on shorter strokes with better balance and your game will improve significantly.

Thank you very much. It's very true that I do have recovery issues. The leaning to my left is a good observation and you are right, it does throw me off balance. When it comes to my backhand, keep in mind that I use short pips so the strokes (like my chop block for example) are going to be different than an inverted backhand. Again, thank you for the tips, I'm definitely going to try to work on my forehand and make it more compact and also work on weight transfer to return to a neutral position.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 6:01pm
there is good potential on your FH. You do  the weight transfer from a leg to another, the rotation of the feet, the hips follow well  with upper body too; the swing & follow through...all is there.
I suggest you find a good blocker to learn recovery so you can have 10+ fh loops (70-75% of your max strength) in a row --> you will be forced to be more relaxed in order to save your energy and not be worn out and miss; you'll be more fluid.
There is much more work on the BH.
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 6:02pm
Perhaps try to stay closer to the table. It will force you to be faster and have more compact strokes. Put a barrier behind yourself, about 1.3m is plenty.

You should only back away from the table when you are forced/pressured by the opponent to do so. Moving away from the table makes your angles worse. Better that you stay at the table and the opponent retreats!

Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

there is good potential on your FH. You do  the weight transfer from a leg to another, the rotation of the feet, the hips follow well  with upper body too; the swing & follow through...all is there.
I suggest you find a good blocker to learn recovery so you can have 10+ fh loops (70-75% of your max strength) in a row --> you will be forced to be more relaxed in order to save your energy and not be worn out and miss; you'll be more fluid.
There is much more work on the BH.

Thank you, I'm going in to play tomorrow and will work on my forehand recovery. Now when you say there is much more work on the BH what do you mean? That it looks like I have worked on my backhand more than my forehand? That I'm making myself work more on my backhand shots? or that I need much more work on my backhand? If it's the last one  to say that I need to work on my backhand a lot more versus my forehand is something I'm going to respectively disagree with. Please keep in mind that I'm using short pips and the stroke is different than inverted as it usually starts at more of a chest height and produces fast low spin drives. I really like my backhand but I do recognize of course there is always plenty of room for improvement on all aspects of my game. I will continue to work on these aspects but short pips are here to stay on my backhand and I will continue also to perfect these short pips strokes. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Vassily Vassily wrote:

Perhaps try to stay closer to the table. It will force you to be faster and have more compact strokes. Put a barrier behind yourself, about 1.3m is plenty.

You should only back away from the table when you are forced/pressured by the opponent to do so. Moving away from the table makes your angles worse. Better that you stay at the table and the opponent retreats!

I agree, good point on the angles. While I do not like being OVER the table, I don't like being too far that often as it usually gives the opponent enough time to do what they want. Thanks.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 6:57pm
You already got some very good advise here.  I only have a couple of minor comments.

You have too distinctly different FH strokes and neither includes sufficient forearm snap.  Focus on transferring your weight and snapping the forearm.  Everything else will fall into place.  Make sure your arm never crosses your body on the follow through and that you contact the ball in front of your torso, not to the side of it.

As far as the BH goes, honestly, I think you should just focus on timing and the rest will fall into place.  What will help there is staying closer to the table and bending your knees a little more.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

You already got some very good advise here.  I only have a couple of minor comments.

You have too distinctly different FH strokes and neither includes sufficient forearm snap.  Focus on transferring your weight and snapping the forearm.  Everything else will fall into place.  Make sure your arm never crosses your body on the follow through and that you contact the ball in front of your torso, not to the side of it.

As far as the BH goes, honestly, I think you should just focus on timing and the rest will fall into place.  What will help there is staying closer to the table and bending your knees a little more.

ILya

Thanks a lot. That's a very good idea about not letting my arm cross my body on the follow through. I've also been thinking today after reading some comments about how to make my forehand stroke snap so I've been watching some Timo Boll since he has a forehand stroke that I would like to have.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

ILya

Thanks a lot. That's a very good idea about not letting my arm cross my body on the follow through. I've also been thinking today after reading some comments about how to make my forehand stroke snap so I've been watching some Timo Boll since he has a forehand stroke that I would like to have.

I would not pick Boll as the role model.  First of all, he is a lefty, so the ball he gets is very different both in terms of angles and contact.  Then, there is a style difference: he is a mid-distance looper, and if that is the game you want to play, you should say good bye to short pips.

Find a close to the table attacker, whose FH you can emulate.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 9:42pm
I'm with no footwork on this. Until I see a match vs an opponent I know, or whose level is obvious, I wouldn't be able to give you a ballpark figure. You land your BH and FH enough to trouble some 1500 level oppoents, but how do you serve/attack or receive/defend/take initiative? Let's go with NF's initial rating and see how it goes from there.

Nice BTY kit. 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2011 at 10:37pm

Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

ILya

I would not pick Boll as the role model.  First of all, he is a lefty, so the ball he gets is very different both in terms of angles and contact.  Then, there is a style difference: he is a mid-distance looper, and if that is the game you want to play, you should say good bye to short pips.

Find a close to the table attacker, whose FH you can emulate.

ILya

That's true, he does play farther away than me. I'm thinking more of Kenta Matsudaira now except with less blocking as I almost never block on the forehand.

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I'm with no footwork on this. Until I see a match vs an opponent I know, or whose level is obvious, I wouldn't be able to give you a ballpark figure. You land your BH and FH enough to trouble some 1500 level oppoents, but how do you serve/attack or receive/defend/take initiative? Let's go with NF's initial rating and see how it goes from there.

Nice BTY kit. 

I'm going to see if I can get a match recorded next week. I'm playing tomorrow but I don't think anyone there has a camera. I can tell you that my serve reception on the backhand is ok but my forehand reception is a little weaker. My serves (in my opinion) are pretty good and are almost never attacked successfully. I do take initiative a lot and when I don't my backhand is great at blocking and my forehand counters are good if I'm mentally in it and don't "chicken out" and I've been getting better at that. Again, I'll post my match video probably next week.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 1:56pm
This is my idea! If you play pip, then you should stay close to the table. The way you practice is not your game. Try more practice SERVICE and ATTACK before the tournament come up. Remember bend your knee then your forehand will better. Your first touch the ball on back hand is weak. I am proud about you to post your video up here to ask some advice. Good Luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic