FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiff 7 Ply wood vs. Carbon/Composite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiff 7 Ply wood vs. Carbon/Composite
    Posted: 03/19/2011 at 11:03pm
I've noticed that almost all aggressive players at the world level are using rather stiff composite blades. However, many attackers are using stiff 7 ply wood blades as well. My question is whether there is a big difference between the fast and stiff 7 ply wood blades and the fast and stiff composite blades (Carbon,ALC,Arylate,Kev,Zylon,Aramid, etc.). The reason I am asking is because I see all-out attackers, such as Kenji Matsudaira or Petr Korbel playing with the Korbel SK7 and similarly aggressive players, such as Kreanga or Schlager, playing with Primorac carbon (not sure about Kreanga though).

SK7, Timo Boll W7 vs. TBS, Primorac Carbon

Edited by cls2222 - 03/19/2011 at 11:06pm
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

Sponsored Links

Davey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 8:24am
Both are heavier and many 7ply are ,"composite",-when you consider they use carbon
an excellent choice is the Rosskopf Emotion 7 ply-it is very fast and has excellent control qualities
The Rossi Force is 5 ply and listed as faster??????????? Its a choice a good fast 5ply will be lighter and composites like the 10plus plies can have no more than 20 per cent kevlar, carbon or whatever by the rules the blade must be 80 per cent wood. Carbo Kevlar for example is lightning fast but heavy and hard to control- Rossi Force is a blade with the qualities of a 7 ply in a 5ply-yet a 7 ply to me can be a great offensive weapon-if weight doesnt bother you and lack of control composites are fine.

David
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Davey Davey wrote:

Both are heavier and many 7ply are ,"composite",-when you consider they use carbon
an excellent choice is the Rosskopf Emotion 7 ply-it is very fast and has excellent control qualities
The Rossi Force is 5 ply and listed as faster??????????? Its a choice a good fast 5ply will be lighter and composites like the 10plus plies can have no more than 20 per cent kevlar, carbon or whatever by the rules the blade must be 80 per cent wood. Carbo Kevlar for example is lightning fast but heavy and hard to control- Rossi Force is a blade with the qualities of a 7 ply in a 5ply-yet a 7 ply to me can be a great offensive weapon-if weight doesnt bother you and lack of control composites are fine.

Is there still a large "sweetspot" with the stiff wood blades?
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 12:44pm
I prefer 5-ply all wood Donic Burn Off, good feel, good click sound, fast and light with a very large sweet spot.
Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 7:06pm
the difference would be on feel, 7 ply all wood blades have better feel than carbon blades though the latter have bigger sweet spots. i used to shun all wood blades but when i met my coach and saw why he is still using his 25 yr old dhs 08 that was given to him by a national coach in china i began to ponder and then tried using a 7 ply blade. my coach said 7 ply blades can be as fast as carbon blades but at fast speeds they would retain their feel and control which are more important than just speed alone. that is if you have the right technique. i have tried his set up- neo skyline 3 on fh and acuda s2 in the bh and it is as fast as using teh same rubbers on a sardius or schlager carbon
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 7:56pm
It seems that all woods blade will be phased out soon if you look around how many world top players are still using all wood blades.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 10:32pm

Stiff 7 Ply wood vs. Carbon/Composite

Recently I've been asking my self and few fellas in the forum the same question. But there is something which I can't find an answer yet-ppl are saying often about a 7/9/or11ply that they are stiff and hard, but IMHO a carbon would always make a blade harder. So I am still hoping that one day I'll find a 7/9ply all-wood which will be as fast as my carbon ones, but will give me more spin and maybe more feeling. So far , when I hear someone saying"Ohhh, this 7(or9)ply wood is stiff and hard" I get really scared that this is harder than the (carbon)ones I have:
Halmark Carbon Extreme
Tube Carbo
Iolite 
729-8030
KC
I also have a HS Cryzer, which is nice but I need some top speed.
The Senkoh 90 are very good, fast with nice soft feel and superb control but I wish there was a bit more flex, cause for example I still produce more spin with my main Harmark Carbon which is obviously harder. For the moment I have an eye on some Darker like the 7P(don't know which one yet)  Carbon Esteem, Legato Point Carbon 7P, Nimatsu Maestro, Staysher, Break 7/9 and few very sexy and absolutely unknown all wood ones by Kokutaku.
Any opinion?
BTW today I tried an Ebenholz V with T05-slowish combo with hard feel, but with astonishing control-every ball was on the table without too much effort, speed or spin
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 1:45am
My friend just borrowed me a Korbel SK7 with T05 and Acuda S2 (max) and I am taking off my Stiga Boost TC and putting them on a stiff 3W, 2C blade to see what I like better. I am having skeptical feelings on the SK7 because the bounce is pretty quiet, although it is still fast when bouncing the ball on it normally. I will play tomorrow and see what happens.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 1:22pm

I had to use Terpentine to get my Stiga Boost TC rubbers off the WSC and they are boosted beyond belief. Looks like a "U." Got to get a picture up here lol. Something tells me I'm really going to like these Boost rubbers on a stiff carbon Nuke Big smile

Edited by cls2222 - 03/21/2011 at 1:38pm
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 1:44pm
I have used both. Now first, there is a difference between STIFF and HARD. STIFF means that the blade bends less when hitting, while HARD means hardness of the top ply. When i played Clipper CR (7 ply allwood), it felt very good when hitting, but it was way too stiff for short play. Even though composite blades like TBS or Viscaria (what i am currently using) is composite, they are flexier. Sure, clipper was very fast, and also decent soft on the outer ply, it did not satisfy my needs. Viscaria is also pretty soft, but also decent fast. I feel that the composite factor gives me a different feel which i do like, but its not the famous allwood feel.

I also believe that the outer ply do effect the feel as well. But  if the blade is composite, the material will determine the feel.

Different composites, like 3W 2C, would usually be harder. Ive hit with primorac carbon, and it has no feel at all, though really fast.

Both 7ply and composites are fast, but i think that the blades flexibility is more important for looping stiffness, which is more suitable for hitting. I might see alot of female players using blades like clipper, due to the hitting-dominated style.

Edited by Asaomi - 03/21/2011 at 1:51pm
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Asaomi Asaomi wrote:

I have used both. Now first, there is a difference between STIFF and HARD. STIFF means that the blade bends less when hitting, while HARD means hardness of the top ply. When i played Clipper CR (7 ply allwood), it felt very good when hitting, but it was way too stiff for short play. Even though composite blades like TBS or Viscaria (what i am currently using) is composite, they are flexier. Sure, clipper was very fast, and also decent soft on the outer ply, it did not satisfy my needs. Viscaria is also pretty soft, but also decent fast. I feel that the composite factor gives me a different feel which i do like, but its not the famous allwood feel.

I also believe that the outer ply do effect the feel as well. But  if the blade is composite, the material will determine the feel.

Different composites, like 3W 2C, would usually be harder. Ive hit with primorac carbon, and it has no feel at all, though really fast.

Both 7ply and composites are fast, but i think that the blades flexibility is more important for looping stiffness, which is more suitable for hitting. I might see alot of female players using blades like clipper, due to the hitting-dominated style.

Thanks for the explanation.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by cls2222 cls2222 wrote:

I had to use Terpentine to get my Stiga Boost TC rubbers off the WSC and they are boosted beyond belief. Looks like a "U." Got to get a picture up here lol. Something tells me I'm really going to like these Boost rubbers on a stiff carbon Nuke Big smile

What kind of glue are you using???
I do not want to use it...ever. Look at all that sponge damage to the rubber & residue left on
the blade. Confused
...maybe the boosting is to blame?
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 2:56pm
It's Donic Formula glue (Worst glue ever). If I didn't use the Terpentine the sponge would rip off in chunks. I am going back to VOC glue after this because this water based stuff is too strong. The glue is probably more adhesive to the sponge than the sponge is cohesive lol

Edited by cls2222 - 03/21/2011 at 4:34pm
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 2:59pm
A lot of the top players changed to composite blades after the speed glue ban, to compensate for the loss of speed.

Since I am making blades myself and I experimented a lot with different fiber-reinforced plastics I can say that the only reason to use it, besides the special feeling, is weight.

It's hard if not impossible to make a e.g. 85 g blade all-wood blade as stiff/fast as a composite blade.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic