Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ST vs FL Handles-Does it matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 8:09pm
I have all types of handle for my Korbel.
ST,FL,AN and CO.
I can play with all these type of handles.
But ST and FL is easy to get so i always buy either of these types.
Sponsored Links

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 8:25pm
I got to play with someone else's racket and he has a straight handle. However, it felt quite comfortable and didn't feel like it would fly out of my hand with a hard swing. I've used some Butterfly flared handles, though, and they felt like if I swing too fast, it would fly out of the building. But those were thin flareds. The best handle to date that I've ever used is a flared Wing Medium. It feels very solid and comfortable.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
thaittstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thaittstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 11:27pm
Straight one will let racket move more in your hand. This is good for change grip between forehand and backhand which good player must do quickly. Stiga blade have bigge chunky handle but my hand small so I go for Butterfly.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 11:27pm
I favored ST. for years until I experienced the great FL of the Donic Epox Blades. Not thin at all where the handle meets the blade. Very comfortable for all strokes. I do not like the squared ST handles on BTY blades, very strange feel.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 1:46am
I also found XIOM FL handles to be very comfortable and not thin at all. Still prefer ST, though.
Never had the impression that the racket is "flying away". Maybe because I also apply some pressure with thumb and forefinger.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 1:52am
In the end, it's all about discovering your personal preference through experimentation.

When choosing FL handles, pay attention to the curvature reversal of the wings and where the wings merge into the handle. Most if not all Stiga and Yasaka blades have wings that reverse in curvature less abruptly and merge lower down the handle than the wings of other blades. For some, these two features combine to make FL handles uncomfortable because one of the wings bites into the middle finger. ST handles may have a similar problem but the effect is less bothersome because the handle does not taper. Pay attention to the contour of the FL handle---some FL handles are straight from the top of handle to the middle of the handle and then flare out while others are thin in the middle, large at the top, and still larger at the bottom.

With ST handles, pay attention to the cross section of the handle. I find that an oval cross section offers maximum contact area between handle and hand, hence offering the feeling of a more secure grip. Rectangular and square cross sections with rounded edges feel less secure in the hand to me.
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 10:58am
Well I absolutely love my ST handle. I have so much more freedom of movement with the backhand. And I never had the feeling that it will slip out of my hand not even once. I don't know why people would be afraid of that at all. So I am now a ST handle player.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 2:29pm
For feel, and if I had to do only 1 type of shot - straight squared is the best for me. Like Korbel straight.

But during game it is easier to adjust grip with a round straight. Like Donic Senso.

Flared it the best for wide forehand loop. But is difficult for backhand because the flared part goes in my palm. Also, difficult to do certain types of serves.

If you have big hands like me and adjust grip a lot in midplay try the Stiga straight handles - they are chunky and fairly rounded so quite easy to adjust grip with those.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 2:44pm
Here is what I did to my Galaxy W6 FL. For those of you who have it you know it is too thin in the neck and way too wide and the end of the handle. It is impossible to compress your wrist enough for a banana backhand.

So I sanded (grinded ) the handle where the shaded are is. Now i feel no restriction on my backhand and still comfy for a loose forehand. Has anyone tried this ?

puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

For feel, and if I had to do only 1 type of shot - straight squared is the best for me. Like Korbel straight.But during game it is easier to adjust grip with a round straight. Like Donic Senso.Flared it the best for wide forehand loop. But is difficult for backhand because the flared part goes in my palm. Also, difficult to do certain types of serves. If you have big hands like me and adjust grip a lot in midplay try the Stiga straight handles - they are chunky and fairly rounded so quite easy to adjust grip with those.

I did hold a Stiga ST handle and I did like the feel of it
ttran82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttran82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Here is what I did to my Galaxy W6 FL. For those of you who have it you know it is too thin in the neck and way too wide and the end of the handle. It is impossible to compress your wrist enough for a banana backhand.

So I sanded (grinded ) the handle where the shaded are is. Now i feel no restriction on my backhand and still comfy for a loose forehand. Has anyone tried this ?

Yes...I did this to most of my FL handle blades: TB ZLF, Violin, TB AL, 729 V-6, DHS PG3.  Did I miss any? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic