Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MUSKO reviews from OSP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MUSKO reviews from OSP
    Posted: 04/13/2011 at 2:12am
I might miss this topic if we already had it here. Any reviews on this blade MUSKO from OSP? THanks
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 5:46am
Search for Musko -LF -FS
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 7:02am
I will post a review within the next week.
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 10:02am
There are some Musko reviews on the OSPblades Forum testing thread.

Here is the page with the first review.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 11:27am
thanks guys. that OSP thread has more than 200 reviews and as i skimmed through, lots of them about ultimate and the other blad ebut not musko...let me search again
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 11:33am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 11:34am
got it...thanks a lot
fructu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fructu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2011 at 6:23pm
OK, I own 3 Musko ELCON handle and I must admit that they are very good blades: good feeling, balanced speed (yes, it is not such a fast blade compared between Viscaria, for example), sharp but yet elastic enough...

Just love it and for sure I recommed it to every offensive player!!!
LowLevelPlayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LowLevelPlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2011 at 6:37pm
how is it compared to Tenor (Speed and Block) and what is Elcon handle? thanks
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2011 at 6:41pm
ELcon is the Erik Lindt conical handle, that Stiga used to produce. 
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 2:05pm

After trying out a Clipper CR Cpen, I got an urge to try out another 7ply wood.  The CR had so much power, but also very dwelly.  My Ludeack Power Handle is broken so I’ll have to wait for another handle to come.  So I made a deal to bring the OSP Musko on board, Thanks Speedstick!  Initially the weight threw me off at 94grs, but I’m willing to budge for my EJ bug. 

Background:  I am playing with Yinhe’s ZLC, YEO jtta as my primary blades.  Chinese (MoonPro,BW,H2/3,TG3,) FH, & Euro(Non-Tensors(Moon,TinArc3) Style on BH.  The characteristics of the blades are different, but easily transitioned with a session of drilling.  YEO has more dwell, ZLC better in smashing, & touch.  Both excel at loop driving, and equally linear on slow shots(forces me to improve better footwork, or I will potentially lose the point on those shots).  I have played with Ebenholz V, and felt that it has too much dwell…making loop drives slower on further table shots.  However, perfect for your all-around attackers out there.  Also plays with 656 sparingly, it’s harder to control even tho it’s not a fast blade.

First Impressions: The craftsmanship of OSP blades are second to none!  No rough finishes, bad plies, miss-aligned tags, etc.  This is the second OSP blade I own (SN465).  Feels fairly balance as I wont be able to tell after I slap on the rubbers.  FH: TG3 #21 sponge, BH: Moon.  Setup is at ~177grams, which is considered on the heavy side for me.  Walnut outer plies just like YEO, Probably Kiri Inner (3mm) with Limbas, & dyed Limbas(all less than 1mm).  Woodwork on the blades is flawless in terms of symmetry, balance and finish.   When I was bouncing the ball on bare blade, I thought it was the same as YEO but more hard.  Nice Handle work, Loving it!  I was afraid that this blade might be too stiff, and dead as the outer plies are so thin, but OSP sure do know what they are doing in producing a power house blade with inner flex. 

In-Action Sessions:  Warming up FH-FH feels very fast when I’m hitting hard, but I was able to control & feel my shots.  Shots are pretty linear, except for when hitting hard…then it becomes like a blur.  BH-BH: I’m fairly comfortable with it, able to do brush & side-spin RPB loops.  I’m still working on generating power from my lower extremities instead on only my forearm/wrist.  But I am pretty comfortable in blocking with RPB at different locations. I still tend to use TBH during games, but will try to only do that to change pace & not as defensive blocking.  Noticeably not as loud as YEO hits.  Pushes are very good for a fast blade, I can drop shot easily as well as deep pushes. 

Game Characteristics: After about 30mins of warm up, and I became pretty comfortable with playing a game mainly because of the feel of the setup.  My opponent is ~1900 close to table blocker & attacker.  He has very good feel for the game, does everything good especially blocking.  He uses Schlager with T05 on both sides.  He beat me at the last meeting.  I have to remember to attack more & work on BH counters.  My Short serves were good, but didn’t score as many points as I usually do against him.  However, my fast serves (no spin, underspin, side-underspins) were giving him hell.  I was able to attack most third balls on those serves.  Once he pushed to my BH, I try open with RPB loop with a lot of spin or no spin down the line or into his backhand to set up for my FH drive.  He was forced to back away & lob at that point, and usually points won for me.  It was a close match, I beat him 3-1.  I kept trying to work on my short serves when I’m ahead to master it, so he was able to push me in a defensive mode.  Blocking gets quite difficult cause the blade is fast, it will take some getting used to.  Dwell is very good with this setup as we counter loop during the match, I can feel the ball sinks into rubber & blade flexing just enough (same as YEO,V4).  After the game, I went back into training mode at another table.  Just working on RPB blocks/loops/counters, then transition to FH like the Falkenberg Drill. 

Second match was at another day.  My opponent is a LP, Smash ~1950 player.  I recently lost to him at a tourney in the finals.  I was using my YEO at that time.  This time results were completely different.  He had so much trouble with my loop drives & slow spinny loops, also because I learned from my mistakes.  I was more focused on being patient and go for the kill once I see a dead ball coming back.  He was surprised by how I have improved in such a short time.  Not to discount my blade, maybe it had something to do with the rubber also.  I had SST Pro on the YEO, and that rubber was fairly slower than TG3 #21.  I wrote a review on SST Pro, will have to dig it out from my archive files.  Results were 5-1, 4-2.  Update:  He hasn’t beaten me for 3weeks in counting now…

Summary: This blade has far exceeded my expectations.  First I was a bit disappointed cause it didn’t have the feel of the Clipper CR.  I soon realized that the Clippers might all varied in performance(quality control, & weight), and I prefer not to risk buying one commercially unless I can get one from team members.  I can say that each Musko will play the same since OSP hand-make every single blade, and they are consistent with their quality control.  I have been playing with this setup exclusively (only bringing one blade to the clubs) for over 3 weeks now, and it’s beginning to grow as I already see myself abandoning my V4 & YEO perhaps until the end of the next tournament.  Weight is still an issue cause I have to choose my rubbers very selectively=(.

Overall: I would rate Musko against the blades I have used from my EJ days.  Some I have played only occasionally, but will revisit blades such as 656, Ludeack Power.  I think I am a much better player now  to extract the performance of these blades.  These are all impartial opinions as I have certain preferences to FH & BH Rubbers.  I’m more than happy to hear other opinions.

Speed(1st & Max Gear): Xiom RSM Plat  = Musko > Ludeack Power ≥ Chinese ULC = V4/IF ZLC = YEO jtta > Ebenholz V ≥ DHS 656 = DHS HK > YEO non-jtta = Stiga OC

Spin Generation: Xiom RSM Plat  = IF ZLC > V4 = Musko = YEO jtta  = Ludeack Power > DHS 656 = DHS HK = Ebenholz V ≥ Chinese ULC > YEO non-jtta = Stiga OC

Medium Gear:  Musko ≥ Chinese ULC > IF ZLC = V4 = Ludeack Power >  DHS 656 = DHS HK = Ebenholz V > YEO non-jtta = Stiga OC

Feel:  Xiom RSM Plat ≥  DHS HK = YEO jtta = DHS 656 = Ludeack Power = IF ZLC = Ebenholz V > Musko = V4 = Stiga OC > ULC = YEO non-jtta   

Control(Placement, defense): DHS HK  ≥ Ebenholz V  = Stiga OC > Xiom RSM Plat  ≥ YEO jtta = V4/IFZLC = Ludeack Power ≥ Musko = DHS 656 = YEO non-jtta > Chinese ULC 

In conclusion I will rate OSP Musko as follows:

94gr, ~5.8mm thick,

Speed: 9.5 out of 10

Spin: 9.0 out of 10

Control: 8 out of 10

Hardness: Hard

Flex: Medium-Hard

I have changed my blade again=S, Musko is too heavy for my play.  I have no chance against 2100+ because recovery time is slower & wrist fatigue due to weight of the blade.  Anybody got a lighter one for trade?  Also looking for a Nittaku Adelie (~83gr) / Amultart (<87gr)

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 03/05/2012 at 2:06pm
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
xander7803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xander7803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 2:40pm
i have been playing with IF ZLC and i tried the Musko the other day. It's a very good blade and for being such a fast blade it's amazing how good the short game capabilities are with this blade. I haven't tried Virtuoso+ but I heard that the blade is closer to IF ZLC. Can anybody confirm this?

Edited by xander7803 - 03/05/2012 at 2:42pm
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by PingPongHolic10 PingPongHolic10 wrote:

Background:  I am playing with Yinhe’s ZLC, YEO jtta as my primary blades.  

Interesting.....just wondering if you ever tired the Galaxy V1?  

PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2012 at 9:04am

Quote Interesting.....just wondering if you ever tired the Galaxy V1?  

Hey Rich,   No I havent tried the V1... the arylate carbon series doesnt suit me.  I heard that this was a photino clone, but there were a bunch of mixed reviews so I didnt bother trying.  Have you tried it?  what are your impressions?  Thanks
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2012 at 10:46am
Originally posted by PingPongHolic10 PingPongHolic10 wrote:

After trying out a Clipper CR Cpen, I got an urge to try out another 7ply wood.

I have tried OSP Ultimate FL with H2/H3 and liked it a lot. Wondering however if there are major diffs between FL and CS versions...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic