FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BH review : Palio Thors vs Renanos Hold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BH review : Palio Thors vs Renanos Hold
    Posted: 05/03/2011 at 3:39pm

Prelude: I know i can execute any shot with any rubber with good skill. But its also true that i can execute certain shots with certain rubbers even with poor skill. Wink

Introduction
I have come a long way trying out different BH rubbers, on different blades. And sometimes gone back and forth with different rubbers. There are so many finer variables like gluing, humidity, blade, color, nature of opponents game, etc. that affects and provides contradictory results. it is very difficult to comprehend everything and say this is better that that.

I am strongly against the school that thinks that certain rubbers suit certain level of players. I rather think for any player who has gone through formal training ... and not 'invented' his strokes, the equipment is decided by his style... and not his level.

In BH i tried: Xiom Omega 4 asia, Xiom Vega europe, Galaxy Moon, donic acuda S2, donic acuda s1, donic jo gold x1, andro hexer, andro hexer+, Palio Blitz, Palio Macro Era 42.5, lkt red diamond, DHS NEO H3, tenergy 05, Tenergy 64, Tenergy 05 FX, Tenergy 25, Hammond pro Beta, roundel, roundel soft, lkt rapid series, Dawei Saviga and IQ series, LKT Torrent, 729 focus and higher rubbers, and Sriver and Mark V; .... other than Renanos Hold and Palio Thors   [all in max, t05 in max and 1.9]

The viable rubbers for me were: Palio Thors, Renanos hold, Vega Europe, Tenegry 25, Tenergy 64, Tenergy 05, Andro Hexer, Palio Blitz, Acuda S2, Hammond Pro Beta. Others either didn;t work at al, or were majorly deficient in any one aspect, or lost properties too soon.

Vega Europe:    didn't allow good push and drop shots, and lacked spin on power loops. and i stopped liking soft sponge rubber. although among soft sponged rubbers this was the best
Andro Hexer:    
was mostly great but slow in finishing, and not that great in blocking.
Palio Blitz:     
was very nice, but loses some grip and then doesn't open loops as good.
Tenergy 25:    
was great and i should have played more... opening loops not as easy
Hammond pro beta:   
was great but lost grip and had some issues with opening loops not significant
Tenergy 05:  
didn't block too well, and didn't allow precision (passive) pushing with low backspin. plus i was playing faster blade
Tenergy 64:  
too fast on my then 7mm blade, and delayed response, resulting in opening loops not having enough spin and going long
Acuda s2:   L
ost grip too soon, with horrible results

Among the viable rubbers, the ones i would want to compare are these Nittaku Renanos Hold (Black) and Palio Thors (RED), because... of course they were the best or among so close that i don't care... and i can't compare since i didn't have all these rubbers at the same time.

Sponge hardness: While apparently both seem to have very close sponge hardness by finger pressing, Renanos Hold (RH) feels much harder in the game than Thors. The exact  hardness of these rubbers are 5054 in ESN scale as claimed, and 37 in YinHe scale… (RH exactly same as Mercury 2 - 37 degree).

Topsheet grip: Renanos hold topsheet is the grippiest  topsheet to touch.  Grippier than all tenergy. Not tacky though, but as grippy as it can be. However, while in the game it doesn’t feel like the grippiest rubber I am playing. The grip feels less than tenergy 05 in the game. Which probably is because of the sponge being harder than Tenergy 05.

Grip Durability: My renanos hold is 2 weeks old, already lost a little grip, but not as drastic as older ESN rubbers. 2 month old Palio Thors on contrary is more grippy than it was at the beginning. It actually gets spinier as the tack goes down.

Responsiveness/pop/bounciness: Palio Thors sponge is much more responsive than Renanos Sponge. While both a fast rubbers, Thors has a little bounciness  after you cross a speed thresh hold, RH doesn’t have any but okay fast as you continue hitting harder.

Serves: Palio Thors Serves better than RH, allows for a bigger range of spin variation from topspin to bottom-spin. I win points  with lower players, and gain control of point with higher players using by BH Thor’s to serve.

Short game pushing: Both rubbers are excellent in short pushing, RH being a harder feel allows more precision and even less reactive to incoming than Thors.  Thors still allows much more precision than Tenergy 05, but in addition it allows for wicked underspin if  you use a little jerk. Sometimes in serve return situation against a 3rd ball attacker, it saves me from a massive attack when I use that jerk with heavy underspin and place it close to his body. With less room, he doesn’t generate enough upthrust and nets the ball. (But if he can loop that ball the resulting loop is also very spinny for me to block.)

Serve return: RH is better when you don’t read the spin well. But I like Thors because it allows me to be more active and innovative with every return.

Opening loops: Palio Thors is the best BH rubber I ever used when it comes to opening with a slow/ mid spinny loop. It imparts an incredible amount of spin, while allowing for more open racket angle. RH works better with  a little closed angle, and makes your openings look more professional, but nowhere near as precise and as punishing as Thors opening loops. The spin on these loops is same or more as opening loops of tenergy 05 on BH. But it is easier , due to harder sponge than tenergy 05.

Flicks: none of these rubbers are great for flicks (when you are not countering the spin, but just positioning the ball quickly with a short contact, so that the spin doesn’t react much on your rubber). I almost never flick … but go for short loops from over the table with very short hand movement, even from the net.

Blocks: This is very important in BH, and RH definitely has a significant edge over Palio Thors.  Both better than tenergy 05, but RH as good as Tenergy 64, while Thors is probably also between tenergy 05 and tenergy 64. RH also allows you to position your blocks better than Thors. With Thor’s being more reactive, you need a little more margin of error to make sure that you don’t miss the table totally.

Over the table Counters: I would choose RH for counters, if someone told me “you have to counter and not do anything else”. But no I like Thors, because during counter I can punch block down the line (not as good as blitz), counter drive, guide the ball slowly and place it to a corner, chop-block (thors is the only rubber I can chop block wit… within a game situation).  

Away from table counters: Both rubbers are good, but the lack of pop in RH has a risk of stalling if if haven’t made a perfect contact. With Thor’s that rarely happens, but happens.

Smash: RH has an upperhand being harder feel. Thor’s is not bad, but you have to adjust to the throw angle. When you have a shorter hand movement, Thor’s pop helps in still generating reasonable speed, which is a place. When it is a high ball and you need precision in not missing it, RH has an edge compared to relatively softer feel Thors.

Lobs: When you are pushed back, and opponent is attacking, you may have marginal advantage with thors, because we all know the advantage of dwell time away-from-table.

Among all the above rubber I played, I am probably liking thors and getting back to it again and again. But I lose points on block against a very strong lefty looper when I use thors, but not when I use RH. My point is if blocking is that important, I would rather get a more specialized blocker like nianmore or something more. I need the points I win with thors in serves, active serve returns, opening loops, and sporadic deep-backspin pushes.

Hope this comparison helps people who like firm rubbers for BH.

Edited by debraj - 05/03/2011 at 3:41pm
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Sponsored Links

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2011 at 4:54pm
Thors all the way for BH :)
I dont quite agree with your opinion on blocks though. Thors is one of the best rubbers for blocking I have found. Only slower tacky chinese rubbers such as H3 normal and Neo and BW2 are better.
Thors is by far better than all the new rubbers made for speed glue (although i haven't tried nianmor). And I found even better than most older gen rubbers such as sriver and mark v
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2011 at 5:56pm
i agree thors is not a bad blocking rubber.... but renanos hold is better. 

i found thors blocked pretty good when its new... but with time the sponge probably got a little softer and the tackiness came down... and now while it blocks fine against normal loopers... against one  deadly lefty looper 'I' struggle with thor's a little more than i struggle with other rubbers. 

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 2:07am
debraj,

I have just tried a sheet of Renanos Hold max in red in an effort to find a replacement for Thors on my forehand. Strangely, RH feels very soft to me and it clicks very loudly when I hit with it. It is noticeably slower than thors and seems far less spinny to me. I am feeling like perhaps I got a bad sheet of RH. It is very easy to control and it flat hits well, but when I counter loop off the table it feels like a very soft tensor. It has great control at mid distance because it is not very springy so I has great dwell time and allows me to keep the ball on the table when under pressure. It does stall sometimes, but differently from Thors.

I noticed it was very nice on the backhand, but for now I am a blitz devotee for bh.The RH that I have seems softer than my blitz and a bit less spinny.

Go figure?

Blade
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 11:27am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

In BH i tried: Xiom Omega 4 asia, Xiom Vega europe, Galaxy Moon, donic acuda S2, donic acuda s1, donic jo gold x1, andro hexer, andro hexer+, Palio Blitz, Palio Macro Era 42.5, lkt red diamond, DHS NEO H3, tenergy 05, Tenergy 64, Tenergy 05 FX, Tenergy 25, Hammond pro Beta, roundel, roundel soft, lkt rapid series, Dawei Saviga and IQ series, LKT Torrent, 729 focus and higher rubbers, and Sriver and Mark V; .... other than Renanos Hold and Palio Thors   [all in max, t05 in max and 1.9]

I have a question for debraj and any other players with extensive experience with ESN Tensors and other speed glue-effect rubbers.  I use Roundell for my BH and I'm pretty happy with it.  Just wondering if there were any of these on your list that was pretty close to Roundell.  Some that I've tried but only briefly, about 1-3 sessions: Boost TC, Pryde 30, IQUL 35*, Inspirit 35*, and LKT Rapid Soft.  I'm not a big BH looper but I like to switch back and forth from BH heavy topspin to flat hit.  The LKT Rapid Soft actually was nice, just fell short on the amount of topspin.  I'm considering Vega Euro, PME 42.5*, and TTNPP has a Blitz 42*.  Any thoughts on these as far as switching from loop to flat hit for the BH?

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 8:35pm
the s2 was my fav. bh rubber for a while only that it didnt last long on my bh, probably 2 months max if i play everyday
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic