FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Friendship 729 FOCUS III 3 Snipe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tael View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friendship 729 FOCUS III 3 Snipe
    Posted: 05/10/2011 at 1:37pm
I just received my sheet yesterday and glued it to my blade.
Nice non-tacky rubber, soft sponge combo.

I am not have the chance to play with it yet but notice when I try to cut the rubber using my box cutter knife (what I always use), the sponge on this rubber was just being teared apart. No clean but like I experienced before.

As soon as I test by actually playing with it, I will post my impressions.
Waldner Senso Carbon
FH: 729 Focus III Snipe 2.1/42
BH: Galaxy Moon 2.1/38

RITC-729 A1
Sponsored Links

sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 2:02pm
I only use these.

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 4:28pm
its slow last time i hit with it...
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Archie10 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archie10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 4:31pm
yea.. the sponge is very soft so you really need a ultra sharp blade to cut it.. or scissors.. i prefer scissors though. 
i'll be the Manny Pacquiao of table tennis.

TBS FL
FH - Tenergy 05 2.1
BH - Tenergy 64 1.9

My Feedback
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by tael tael wrote:

I just received my sheet yesterday and glued it to my blade.
Nice non-tacky rubber, soft sponge combo.

I am not have the chance to play with it yet but notice when I try to cut the rubber using my box cutter knife (what I always use), the sponge on this rubber was just being teared apart. No clean but like I experienced before.

What sponge hardness did you get? You can see the numbers on the back of the sponge. They have 40, 42 and maybe 44 and 46 deg. 40 deg feels like 35 and very soft. 42 deg feels significantly harder, like 38. I bet 44 and 46 will be hard and fast enough for most people.

The sponge does crumble easily when you cut it w/ something not sharp enough. I use a surgery scalpel and that works.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 4:50pm
I have the 46 degree version and it feels softer than my 729 super fx. ???
tael View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 7:46pm
The one I got is 42 deg.

...I think the knife was pretty sharp. I even replaced the knife blade with a brand new one, but the result was the same... it crumble.  I have cut all my other rubbers with this knife without problems:

SanWei Gears 2.0, Gambler Shadow 2.0, Stiga Mendo Energy, Butterfly G3-FX.

I am not actually complaining but I am just curious on why this happened.
Waldner Senso Carbon

RITC-729 A1
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I have the 46 degree version and it feels softer than my 729 super fx. ???

Isn't the super fx a hard sticky rubber?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 9:02pm
Yes, very tacky new. Sponge I think is medium, but only because I'm guessing there are still harder sponges like those of the untuned Hurricanes and others? If not, then I guess it can be considered hard.
Tek101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tek101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 3:11am
I have played with Focus III snipe for a short while before...... I ordered it from Zero Pong (which I promote wholeheartedly, it is a great company)  and they only sell it in what they say to be the 40deg sponge. I would agree with it being close to that softness maybe a little less. I had this rubber on my Forehand on the 729 Bomb blade. I got this rubber because I contacted them to give me the closest rubber they have that compares to the Donic Coppa J.O and this is what they said would feel similar to that rubber.

I found when playing around with this rubber is it is great when counter looping, blocking and hitting close-mid distance from the table but anything farther then that I had a very hard time getting enough power out of it to do far from the table loops. I have not tried any other hardness and I am sure it is much different but, unless you are a close to the table attacker I would not recommend this rubber to you.
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
|FH: Sword Long Can Pro Version
|BH: Xiom Vega Asia DF Max
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 3:40am
I found it to be more like Yasaka Pryde 30, but not that much horrible.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 7:37am
The old super fx like deng yaping used was very traditional hard, sticky, heavy, thick top.  They came out with "fxel" using the same mold several years ago.  The two are totally different.  FXEL is softer and much much lighter and only lightly tacky.  Not super bouncy...very predictable with high control.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 8:35am
The Snipe111 Jap sponge is a lovely allround rubber, I have noticed that cutting problem before so I just use a scissors, also it can break up if taking the rubber off so don't clamp too hard
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 9:12am
Why do you say the focus3 snipe is japanese sponge?  I'm not sure it ever really was, but I don't see it on this version for sure.  Not that the japanese sponges used by chinese companies are ever really that good anyway.  Anyway, when the chinese companies make their own sponge it seems the hardness is more consistent.  Old school chinese with german or japanese sponges were always all over the map in quality and hardness.  It seems since they improved their own soft sponges they kind of went away from that.

The biggest part of the improvement I've seen from f3 regular to snipe is consistency in sponge.  I figured that was because they started making it themselves.  Also the topsheet was varying wildly in tackiness toward the end of the regular f3 production.  The old f3 could be really good or really bad.

Edited by cole_ely - 05/11/2011 at 9:21am

JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 10:22am
I'm on my 2nd sheet of Snipe. The 2nd feels the same as the 1st. Works great on my backhand...gives me plenty of forgiveness.
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
Omega740 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omega740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 1:02pm
I ran into the same issue when cutting into the snipe.  I've cut4 snipes by now as well as other rubbers and I think I kind of know why the snipe reacts the way it does. 

When one uses a blade to cut into rubber/sponge the job usually needs to be done slow.  Also the blade needs to be extremely sharp.  I've noticed that setups with harder sponges and rubbers yield better (cleaner) cuts.

The snipe is not like this.  Because the sponge and the rubber are so soft using a blade will pull the rubber away from the sponge if the it isn't ridiculously sharp.  So if you are going to use a blade make sure to make many run throughs around the tt blade and try not to force the rubber/sponge to cut.  In the same respect, you kind of need to pull the rubber/sponge outward in a perpendicular motion to the plane upon with your blade is cutting the rubber.  This step is vital because if you don't, the sponge is soft enough for a person to make fine cuts right next to each other.  Not good.

If you're not looking for a crazy precise cut.  The less risky option is just to use scissors with water.

Good Luck.
TT YouTube Chan Chinese Penhold FH/BH
singody View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 5:57pm
Snipe's speed is pretty good I think.
Handmade ZLC.
厌倦源于过度求新,满足来自用心重复。

My Feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41593&title=feedback-singody
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Why do you say the focus3 snipe is japanese sponge?  I'm not sure it ever really was, but I don't see it on this version for sure.  Not that the japanese sponges used by chinese companies are ever really that good anyway.  Anyway, when the chinese companies make their own sponge it seems the hardness is more consistent.  Old school chinese with german or japanese sponges were always all over the map in quality and hardness.  It seems since they improved their own soft sponges they kind of went away from that.

The biggest part of the improvement I've seen from f3 regular to snipe is consistency in sponge.  I figured that was because they started making it themselves.  Also the topsheet was varying wildly in tackiness toward the end of the regular f3 production.  The old f3 could be really good or really bad.
hmmm Actually no where does it say Japanese, but its just the feel, softness and texture that makes me believe it is, also I have a few Chinese coaches who buy this rubber from me because they say it has a Japanese sponge, they love it for training students as it allows the student to control topspin better, I like it because of the tiny click when the shot is right lol
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 9:39am
Well, it used to say japanese sponge, but I don't see that on the snipe and I don't think it is.  But it seems pretty good anyway and def more consistent.

A lot of times I think the so called japanese sponges weren't really made in japan.  How do they get away with this?  Well, we've all bought japanese food that wasn't really made in japan right?  It's just an adjective, which is what you alluded to.  It has a japanese feel to it.

JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 11:24am
I used a box cutter, using a brand new blade to cut my most recent sheet. I did have to make several passes and not force the cuts, but I did wind up with a pretty straight/clean cut. 
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
tael View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 4:40pm
Thanks to all for the tips of cutting this rubber... I will be doing that again!

I finally had a chance to try it today... wow. I like this rubber!
If has a nice soft feeling that allows to generate a nice amount of spin. I was having some trouble with choppers before, but today I had to problem in looping those chops. Really happy with this rubber.

I am using it on the FH, paired with Galaxy moon in the BH. If I say that I really liked Focus III snipe in the FH, then I must say that I LOVED Galaxy moon in the BH, such a nice rubber. I played BH loops and blocks with a lot of confidence. Somehow everything worked for me today... It could be that I was having a good day, but that would be too much coincidence since I don't have many days like today.
For example, I played 2 matches with a defensive chopper that beats me pretty easily all the time... but today I beat him 3-0 and 4-1 without much problem... again, it could be because he was having a bad day... but I want to think it is the new set up. :-)

I am a happy camper today!
Waldner Senso Carbon

RITC-729 A1
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Well, it used to say japanese sponge, but I don't see that on the snipe and I don't think it is.  But it seems pretty good anyway and def more consistent.

A lot of times I think the so called japanese sponges weren't really made in japan.  How do they get away with this?  Well, we've all bought japanese food that wasn't really made in japan right?  It's just an adjective, which is what you alluded to.  It has a japanese feel to it.
yes hahaha China does make (what they call Japaneseish ) type sponges with a bit more softness and sping ,,, but my friend seems to tell the difference in a second, So Im really unsure now as 729 would normally say Japanese if it was as a selling point
callisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 4:58pm
hi i am searching for a shop which haf focus III snipe in 46 degree hardness.

till now eacheng.net and chinesett.com doesn't have it.

So have you perhaps another iodea where i can get it ?
The shop have to deliver to germany.

thanls
talkalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talkalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 5:28pm
the snipe3 is like sriver or sriver fx
not a pro rubber even not close to it
the rubber dont have glue effect bilt in
his price is good to his qualitiy
i orderd 46 deegres from ttnpp
timo boll alc

Fh:t05fx 2.1

Bh:sinus alpha max
callisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 7:10am
thanks, but he has at the moment only 42 degree
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 1:03pm
callisto, what makes you think they even have a 46deg version?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 3:23pm

I purchased two 46 degree sheets from eacheng.net a long time ago.

Like I said before, the sponge still felt softer than that on the 729 Super FX available from megaspin.

Focus Snipe III is okay on a soft to medium blade. The sensation of it bottoming out on a harder blade is not a good feeling. The ball digs in but there is relatively little grip.

Not very durable. Topsheet showed clear signs of wear and oxidation just weeks into use, despite regular cleaning and protectors, kinda like the Dawei Inspirit sheets I got.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 3:28pm
weird, I've never heard a complaint about an inspirit type rubber oxidizing.

callisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 4:11pm
hi cole_ey,

a few month ago i ordered 46 degree versions. i need them for my forehand, because the normal 42 degree version is for me too soft.
So there are different versions on sponge hardness.
Normally the degree is on the backside on a sticker where also stands the sponge thickness
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 4:47pm

Cole,

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6328&PID=549610

Second post from the top

Edited by racquetsforsale - 03/01/2012 at 4:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic