Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tall Players: Better to play mid distance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tall Players: Better to play mid distance?
    Posted: 05/23/2011 at 3:02pm

I am 6'3" (190.5 cm). I have been developing my game for awhile and am finally starting to get somewhere and have noticed that as my technique has improved and consistency gone up, I feel much more comfortable when I can get to mid distance comfortably (i.e. not dropping away from the table defensively but because I choose to step out and loop).

Does it work better for tall players to play away from the table?

I have been working on a more close to the table style game but have found that I will never be as quick as a small player, so close to the table always presents problems, especially when attacked at the elbow. However when I get away from the table and I have more time to set up, I can really bring my power to bear and over power my opponent.
Sponsored Links

seau grateau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seau grateau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2011 at 3:17pm
I think you're on the right track here. I'm pretty tall myself (around 6'1'') and I routinely get murdered in close to the table play. We have longer reach which doesn't really lend itself to up-close playing.
BTY Korbel // Galaxy T1
Haifu BWII // Inspirit Quattro UL
Palio CJ8000 // 729 Focus 3
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2011 at 4:09pm
I'm about your height, BMonkey, and I too find a little distance between myself and the table is much more comfortable and efficient for my strokes and strategy.

I read an article by a coach on the CNT and he said that, for example, WLQ stands a bit further from the table than some of the shorter players, and that even shorter female players stand notably closer to the table.

I think the trick is finding that ideal "distance" from the table. Personally, I think one of the weaknesses of the European style of table tennis is that, for the most part, they've been more willing to give up the table; whereas, the Chinese fight for control of it almost belligerently. (Oh gawd... please don't let this comment inspire a 20 page debate over Chinese vs. European superiority...) I think we saw Boll try to address this in the recent WTTC, wherein he was crowding the table a bit more aggressively than I've seen him do in the past.

So my point is, I agree fully that taller people (usually) benefit from some distance from the table, but what that ideal distance may be is subject to strategy, etc., and that "some distance" can quickly turn into to "too much distance" if one is not careful.

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 05/23/2011 at 4:11pm
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

close to the table means giving less time to the other player to react to what's coming at him/her so by definition this is superior. For taller people the key when close to the table is to keep the elbow close to the body and take control of the rally with a fast forearm snap opening loop; when that control of the rally & table is achieved, the player can go back a few feet to enjoy full straight arm back swing and deliver a monster loop and, in that case, the time given away (for the ball to travel twice the distance between where the player was and where he went) is vastly inferior to the time earned with the more powerful, spinnier and faster shot the player is able to accomplish. 

So, are you saying, "Stay closer to the table to take control of the rally first; then, once you have, it's safer to step back a bit and start opening up with bigger shots"?

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2011 at 5:09pm

Yea, I've found myself practicing just a bit deeper off of the table (1-1.5 feet deeper) and it makes all the difference. I was just wondering if this recent discovery was some commonly known table tennis factoid that I had somehow missed.

What differences in training regimen should be utilized when developing a mid distance game vs. a close to the table game?
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2011 at 5:28pm
Fatt making good sense as usual. Being close to the table gives the player a wider range of angles, quicker contact from racket to table, thereby resulting in shorter response time for the opponent. Once the loop-to-loop rally starts and longer arcs are being produced, one must inevitably give up some of the table to reduce their own reaction time but still maintain control and pace of the ball to win the point.

By stepping away to execute stronger, larger swings and gaining longer reaction time to decide the direction of your shots, demands more lateral movement to be able to cover the possible angles that the close-to-table player can execute. I think that is the sacrifice.

Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 3:26pm
This may be a silly question, but what exactly defines "mid-distance"? I rarely play over the table and am comfortable anywhere from 5-15 feet from the table. (almost beyond the court dividers) Is this considered "mid-distance?" If not, where are the approximate cut offs?
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 3:56pm
Well I'm a firm believer that mid-distance varies for each player - depending on stroke technique and height (arm length). mid-distance is the distance where you can comfortably start using a bigger, straight arm stroke and really put 100% power into the ball.
Backing off any further than this, in my opinion, is a defensive move. The only thing backing off even more gives you is an extra 1/10th or 1/5th of a second to react and maybe allow the ball to drop a bit to a comfortable hitting height.
Staying close to the table gives you all the angles and allows you to safely drop the ball a bit shorter, hit it off the bounce or (if you're comfortable with it) do a blazingly fast over the table top spin.
I would say 5ft off the table is too far if the other person is closer to the table. You're opening up a lot of angles.
Playing at 15ft while the other person is 2-3 ft off the table means that he is controlling the game. He has plenty of time to see where your shots are going and generally can choose a great number of angles.

I myself tend to play 1-2 feet from the table and consider 5 ft to be pretty far away. Remember, the further you back off the table the harder it is to defend against sharp angled attacks and the harder it is to make sharp angled attacks yourself.

Of course I'm 5'-11" so 1-2 feet is OKAY. If I was 6'-5" with long arms, I'd probably be sitting at 3-4 feet idealy and consider 5-8 feet mid distance.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

What differences in training regimen should be utilized when developing a mid distance game vs. a close to the table game?

Haven't read all the responses so someone might have said this already:

If you wanna develop a mid-distance based game the key thing is going to be your transition into the mid-zone.

Opening loops will still have to be close to the table and ideally would be very spinny and fairly slow to give you time to reposition yourself.

The best player of the elite to watch, is in my opinion Wang Hao, if you want a mid-distance game.
Samsonov maybe, although I don't really see his game as very mid-distanced.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by rustyfo rustyfo wrote:

If you wanna develop a mid-distance based game the key thing is going to be your transition into the mid-zone.

Opening loops will still have to be close to the table and ideally would be very spinny and fairly slow to give you time to reposition yourself.

The best player of the elite to watch, is in my opinion Wang Hao, if you want a mid-distance game.

Thanks for the advice!

It seems that slow, spinny loops would indeed buy time to get off the table a bit and setup, but aren't such loops easier to attack?

It's probably so self-evident that you probably didn't bother mentioning it, but since I'm dense I'll make it more explicit to see if I'm correct:

In addition to slow and spinny, I would imagine that placement is also key, correct?

For example, I see Wang Hao and Ma long do this a lot--they open deep to their opponent's backhand with heavy spin (often side spin) and then step back and around to attack strongly with their forehand. I would imagine it's not a coincidence that they often go to the deep backhand corner, which pins their opponent down and mitigates the possibility of a terribly strong return. Is my perception correct, or am I even denser that I thought? Smile

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 6:33pm
The table hight is an important factor in this to me (I am 1,93 m tall). Closer to the table the ball is at a different point of it,s trajektory, often still upgoing and a tall player, from when the blade is at his side, automatically tends to pull the stroke upwards more. It,s naturally dificult to keep it forward. Or "sit" so deep with sharp knee and hip angles that moving around becomes uncomfortable, ineffective and even high risk of injuries.

Combined with a ball that is near the highest point the unwanted lift (or difficulty to press the ball) results easily in balls going over the table too long and high. With my length I can test this for myself easily. With a trainingsession, knowing where the next ball comes I can get deeper in my knees have the shoulders lower and gain a lot of control. But moving around in a match like that is not effective and too exhausting. Few steps back the risk of throwing too high and long decreases and due to different point in the trajektory the necessity to press the ball down with a forward stroke and closed angle becomes less.
When I developed my technicque I was much shorter as a child and things where definitely easier.
What helps me manage with it is currently to use a not too fast - but fast enough - seven ply blade with a hard centerlayer (somewhat same build as Osp Ultimate) and a hardish not too fast 2,0 mm rubber that allows topspin variation and when it comes to it fast loopdrives with a stroke that I can strike more upward and with more open bladeface.  For such type of strokes length can also be an advantage because it makes a powerfull stroke almost come naturally then. For someone else this can be bad technicque maybe but for me it works for the better.

Something else that can be worthwile to experiment with is to have a real slow but spinny backhandrubber to gain time for using the naturally longer fh stroke and to stay closer to the table with more ease.
Against a short quick counterdriver from both sides a tall person has no interest in speeding up the game al the time and also start making short strokes. A 1,2 or 1,5 mm defensive rubber with long pipstrukture (on an offensive blade) works wel for this for me. This fh - bh combination with variation and a lot of contrast makes my fh and bh support each other technical and tactical. My reach also helps to play the bh closer to or over the table and fh a little further. This difference is also increased for taller people and this way I try to make it an advantage. A faster bh rubber coming over the table becomes more risky for me and timed early speed from the rubber is not that necessary.

Edited by mercuur - 05/25/2011 at 6:47pm
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 8:06pm
Are WLQ and XX both over 6 feet tall?
Persson is definitely over 6'. Then there's also Schlager and Oh. That's a good mix of tall players to study.

I can imagine how demanding it is to be tall and have to stay low all the time when playing TT. Tough on the knees and lower back and always feeling you're too much on top of the ball.

I'm curious why the table isn't higher, as the game was invented in Europe. Who standardized the table height?

Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

It seems that slow, spinny loops would indeed buy time to get off the table a bit and setup, but aren't such loops easier to attack?

It's probably so self-evident that you probably didn't bother mentioning it, but since I'm dense I'll make it more explicit to see if I'm correct:

In addition to slow and spinny, I would imagine that placement is also key, correct?

For example, I see Wang Hao and Ma long do this a lot--they open deep to their opponent's backhand with heavy spin (often side spin) and then step back and around to attack strongly with their forehand. I would imagine it's not a coincidence that they often go to the deep backhand corner, which pins their opponent down and mitigates the possibility of a terribly strong return. Is my perception correct, or am I even denser that I thought? Smile

Slow very heavy loops are actually harder to block back onto the table up to roughly.. 2400 level? perhaps higher. it depends on the player also. the theory is that the topspin pulls the ball down making it hard to attack so if it is blocked back, you'll have a swing at the next shot.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 8:34pm
I think the table height is the result of other ballgames, namely Billiards/Snooker

Table Tennis was devised in the early 1880's in Victorian England and at the time; Billards and Snooker were very popular parlour games. It made sense to play Table Tennis on the  two wooden halves put on top of a 9 ft x 4 1/2 ft snooker table and those two wooden top halves combined measured 9 ft x 5 ft; which is the size of a Table Tennis top.

qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Are WLQ and XX both over 6 feet tall?
Persson is definitely over 6'. Then there's also Schlager and Oh. That's a good mix of tall players to study. 

Wang Liqin is 6'1" and Xu Xin is 5'11 1/2".
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

I think the table height is the result of other ballgames, namely Billiards/Snooker

Table Tennis was devised in the early 1880's in Victorian England and at the time; Billards and Snooker were very popular parlour games. It made sense to play Table Tennis on the  two wooden halves put on top of a 9 ft x 4 1/2 ft snooker table and those two wooden top halves combined measured 9 ft x 5 ft; which is the size of a Table Tennis top.

That makes sense. Thanks. And thanks for the blade advice.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 2:55am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

close to the table means giving less time to the other player to react to what's coming at him/her so by definition this is superior. For taller people the key when close to the table is to keep the elbow close to the body and take control of the rally with a fast forearm snap opening loop; when that control of the rally & table is achieved, the player can go back a few feet to enjoy full straight arm back swing and deliver a monster loop and, in that case, the time given away (for the ball to travel twice the distance between where the player was and where he went) is vastly inferior to the time earned with the more powerful, spinnier and faster shot the player is able to accomplish. 

The necessity of doing this will be only if you have weak or slower footwork.  Well, we all do have that problem (as opposed to the pros who don't) but it's a question of how bad your problem is.

I'm 6'3" and Stellan has pushed me to move to mid-distance and get the elbow well away from the body as quickly as possible, in order to produce stronger loops as quickly as possible.  Might I get stuck close to the table at the start of rally, or forced to make a forearm only loop in the beginning because I let the ball get to close to me?  Sure, because I'm slow.  But it's not supposed to be that way.  I'm supposed to always give myself space to make that big loop, even from the first ball.

Watch Wang Liqin play on video.  He doesn't get caught with chicken wing loops too close to his body.  He gets big loops in right from the beginning.  But he also moves to the mid-distance to get his best power in his loops.  Persson does the same thing.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

Slow very heavy loops are actually harder to block back onto the table up to roughly.. 2400 level? perhaps higher. it depends on the player also. the theory is that the topspin pulls the ball down making it hard to attack so if it is blocked back, you'll have a swing at the next shot.

Exactly. And if you add great placement to the mix you get a powerful powerful set-up weapon, just look at Timo as an example.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 5:39am
I wonder if its possible to get a double bouncing opening loop. Massive topspin, not too fast, low over the net.

Edited by Vassily - 05/26/2011 at 5:40am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 6:09am
For as long tabletennis exists, grown man became taller with aprox ten cm while the table kept the same hight. Relative the table has shrunken  LOL.  Change of diet also does that in China these days.

Edited by mercuur - 05/26/2011 at 6:11am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2011 at 5:25pm

Develop you game around where you feel comfortable, thats it, no need to get complicated.

The Older I get, The better I was.
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2011 at 12:15am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Develop you game around where you feel comfortable, thats it, no need to get complicated.

Thumbs Up  I totally agree...
But I have to add that for each of body size, there's advantage and disadvantage.  And table tennis is for smaller body frame with quickness and good touch.  And that's why the Asian table tennis players are always in more favorable position at third ball attacks or at the beginning phase of a point since most of the time, both players have to be fairly close to the table.

So, I think the best way for taller players to be successful is that they need to extend the rallies and in order to do that, be good at blocking or pushing at the first 3 or 5 balls and pull out of the table quick enough to take advantage of their big, long swings.

I remember reading an article of Wang Liqin's coach talking about his win at Osaka, Japan.  His coach (which I don't remember the coach's name) said that after being behind Kong Linghui 0-2, Wang Liqin started to stay a little bit further from the table than the previous two games to make use of his power and reaction.

And I also read another article talking about differences in training for different body sizes from another Chinese coach (sorry again that I don't remember his name, either...  I know, shame on me, but the main thing is that I remember what they said) that for short players like Deng Yaping, she got to train to be close to the table type of play, while a tall player like Wang Liqin or Samsonov need to be away from table.

Anyway, I'm not a good player but I think what I read does make sense so I just share with the owner of this thread what I think is right for him.

Once you find your range of power (and comfortable), try to play in that range, but of course, the more ranges you can feel comfortable, the better of a player you are, but who has time for that hehehe....

FireHorse

Edited by FireHorse - 05/27/2011 at 12:17am
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2011 at 2:22pm
Shut up and work on footwork.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by jkillashark jkillashark wrote:

Shut up and work on footwork.
Clap Genius...Pure genius. As well thought out as "Screw Butterfly and go Korean".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic