Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Chopping Tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chopping Tips?
    Posted: 09/03/2011 at 5:22pm
Just wanted to take up chopping as a resource for having fun rallies with fellow combatants. I know the VERY basics on chopping by watching the PingSkills video on youtube but if you can answer any of these questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. Doe Pogo OX LP Rubber serve as a half decent chopping rubber?
2. If there a general rule of thumb when chopping. Such as what angle to chop or versus how much top spin? I watched the pingskills video and they described that if the ball is fast paced then you want a more vertical chop because you dont need to push the ball over the table because the speed is already there but I'm wondering what angle do you chop at generally.
3. When is it best to execute the stroke? Top of the bounce? Apex?

If there are any tutorial videos that I haven't seen besides the pingskills that would answer my questions, feel free to provide them.

Thanks a lot in advance! Much appreciated !

Edited by AnthonyTT - 09/03/2011 at 5:24pm
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2011 at 6:35pm
I recommend this rubber http://ttnpp.com/shop/palio-ck531a-long-pimple-p-205.html

ox is better for close to the table blocking and push chopping
thin sponge is better for chopping off of the table
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2011 at 8:19pm
TO answer your third question, if you are chopping, and you are behind the table, the ball will be far past its apex after it makes contact with the table, as it has to travel to you. Execute the stroke when the ball reaches you, because spin and speed will be lost the farther you are away from the table, chopping doesn't really require the same type of timing that normal looping or smashing does.

I'd also suggest you take a look at Chen Xinhua's training video that is available to download around the web. Even though its in Chinese, it offers a great look at how to execute correct defensive tactics. 
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I recommend this rubber http://ttnpp.com/shop/palio-ck531a-long-pimple-p-205.html

ox is better for close to the table blocking and push chopping
thin sponge is better for chopping off of the table

Eh, I don't want to switch rubbers at the moment, mine got barely used. Any videos on push chopping?

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2011 at 11:56pm
olivier mader. he posts on forums as pushblocker. I'm sure you've seen him here before. here's his channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/grandsportc3
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2011 at 1:05am
For 1 and 2 I would say:

1. No because no sponge LP rubbers are mainly designed for close to the table play... you want sponge for long distance chopping (but for chop blocking it would work great)

2. against left handed players you will notice when chopping you will need to account for side spin... if you don't most of your backhand chops will go way left and your forehand chops will go way right. Also playing against short pips player you will have to slice through your chops more since there is less spin on the ball.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Leatherback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2011 at 11:05pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPfzID-HHVc

this is far from the table with OX pips....you can be extremely effective contrary to popular belief

and you can control the short game much easier with ox pips which is EXTREMELY important for a chopper

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Forehand: H3N Prov.41
Backhand: TSP Spectol 1.5
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2011 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Leatherback Leatherback wrote:

this is far from the table with OX pips....you can be extremely effective contrary to popular belief

and you can control the short game much easier with ox pips which is EXTREMELY important for a chopper

Nice chops :) Was that you? There are a few Chinese pros that chop with OX sponge... their names escape me right now however. I have to say that personally I find it easier to chop with sponge with long pips that has a little more grip than normal blocking style LPs but there is no doubt that OX LPs can put a ton of spin on chops! I tried Air UpUpUpUp for a while in OX which worked pretty good at chopping as well.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Rizzelet View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rizzelet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2011 at 12:17am

Woah, that was you in the blue and yellow; you were using Doublefish 1615 OX?? 

You're really awesome, any chance of us getting to see you in a match? 
GALAXY Moon
BUTTERFLY Defense Pro
DHS C&F III
Leatherback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2011 at 1:06am
thanks for the compliments

im actually working on getting a match edited right now....i have some....but the majority of them are the WORST shakey camera ever...

ill see what i can do!
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Forehand: H3N Prov.41
Backhand: TSP Spectol 1.5
Rizzelet View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rizzelet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2011 at 2:16am

ill see what i can do!

Yay! Looking forward to it.

**Apologies for off-topic discussion**
GALAXY Moon
BUTTERFLY Defense Pro
DHS C&F III
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic