FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Official Nexy Spartacus Review Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Nexy Spartacus Review Thread
    Posted: 09/23/2011 at 11:05am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 9:33pm
  Finally got to get some time with Spartacus.  As noted from before i have Tibhar Aurus Soft 2.1 on both sides.  First thing you will notice is there is no carbon ping or feel with this blade. Honestly this blades feels like a 5 ply blade .  I would rate this blade as OFF- and has a med/soft feel. Feels the same speed as my Acoustic but the carbon layer really gives this blade a really/large nice sweet spot .  To me Spartacus is one of those blades that does everything well ,you can block,loop and hit and somehow everything seems to land on the table.  I think this is Spartacus's best attribute, you will just get more balls on the table.  If you are a USATT player between 1200-2000 this is really an ideal blade. I think the only players who will be disappointed with this blade are the players looking for the classical Hinoki/Carbon blade like Primorac Carbon/Sardius/Gergely/SC as this is nothing like those. If you want an OFF- blade with lots of gears and a huge sweetspot this is an excellent choice.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2011 at 6:42am
Copy from other thread

Had a chance to play a match today with Spartacus during lunch break at the company. New sheets of Aurus on FH and Calibra on BH. Switched it shortly with Innerforce ALC

Short impressions:

Overall similar to Lissom, though I'd have to compare both directly to be more precise.
- lightweight
- some vibration
- kind of dry/brittle on ball contact
- good control, precise ball placement
- overall speed noticeably less then Innerforce ALC, control better
- 'eats' the ball well
- good for full power shots with some momentum behind (bang impact ... )
- unlike Innerforce, the blade does not give much forward momentum on its own
- serves were very spinny

During the matched I noticed that is was easy for me to keep the ball on the table with Spartacus on both passive and active strokes. Hope I get more to understand the blade better this evening.

--------------------------------------------------

I played a few more matches today with the above setup. Two horrible losses against players much stronger than me and three easy wins against people similar or somewhat below my level.

I can only affirm that Spartacus is a faster, bit more stable version of Lissom. The most special thing about Spartacus is that it kind of takes the speed out of the incoming ball, sort of sucks it it, and then lets you use this energy for your return shot. Maybe this is due to the softer ayous layer below the Hinoki?

My passive game with Spartacus is much better than with Innerforce as the blade allows you to take speed out of the ball for passive strokes. On the other hand, exactly this aspect means that half hearted or medium force attack strokes are weaker and more easily blocked by the opponent. Also, the ball tends to end up in the net on such strokes.

I'll have to put a softer rubber on BH, as the current setup is somewhat unforgiving.

A big winner was the very strong spin on serves and pushes - I scored lots of points with only pushing and serving.

The blades kind of invites or forces you to use very explosive strokes during attack, as the speed is somewhat lacking otherwise. The good thing is, the blade feels very safe on power shots. I think my backhand is actually more effective with Spartacus than with Innerforce as I feel safer on explosive strokes. At full power, the blade is actually quite fast. Also, the blade has enough substance to let you counter more effectively than with Lissom - less balls into the net in reaction to fast no spin attacks.

Again, the blade had great control for just keeping the ball in play.

One thing I liked better with Innerforce was that it is better at borrowing the incoming force, so you can reshape and use it in your shot. With Spartacus you have to rely more on your own power.

Summing up, this is another very good blade by Nexy with lots of character. It is very contolled, but with a power reserve for heavy shots. I'll play it during the next weeks and then give a more detailed update.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2011 at 4:53am
Regarding this blade, I think I did not share much about why and what I aimed at.

Let me briefly share what's the difference between Korean table tennis, Chinese table tennis and Europan table tennis.
It will not be a short story, and I think probably I have to be sitting on the chair for several hours to share this story with more detail.
But in short, I can safely say that Korean players moves wider than normal other players.

The reason is, because Korea used to have good J-pen penholder players, such as Kim Taek Soo, Ryu Nam Gyu and Lee Chul Seung. Actually, most Korean players used to play with J-pen. (Let alone Ryu Seung Min, 2000 Olympic Gold medalist)
So, all those good J-pen players are now in charge of many good teams, and players are under the influence of those J-pen star players.

When you play with J-pen, you always try to turn and play with your forehand side.
If you have to use your backhand side, you can not make a powerful shot, rather focus on blocking.
And that's the tragedy why now in Korea we don't have many of them.

So, most J-pen players try more to learn how to turn and switch into forehand side, by which they can turn into an attacking position from defensive blocking position, than to learn how to make a powerful back hand top-spin skill.

Picture this scene. When you want to turn and swtich, then how come you can get some momets to turn and swtich?
The possible way is to move backward.
If you move a little backward, then you will have more space to turn, as well as more time.

So, most J-pen Korean players try to move backward to make a space to make this quick change, if they are playing with J-pen.

Actually, many people in this forum think of me only as a craftman. But I'm not.
I'm actually agent of Tibhar, Stiga, Parlio, Yinhe in Korean market.
And I had several chances to run training camps in Korea for those other brands.
I could compare what is the difference among many other countries' players.

Now three countries' players are becoming similiar to one another, China, Korea and Europe.
But if I compare their movements, I think Korean players moves a lot back and forth.
Chinese players, they move not much back and forth, rather they move left and right.
European players, normally they used to play a little farther than Chinese players, and now they are becoming very similiar to Chinese, but still they don't move back and forth much.

I could experiment this when I had training camps in Korea.
Many European players, including Croatia, Sweden, Germany, France, Italy.... they don't know how to move back and forth that much and fast.
So, Korean players have better leg movement.
But they don't have good movement on their shoulders as German players do.

Yes, each European player has his own way, so I can not generallize them all into one form.
But I think I can safely conclude that European players use shoulders, wrists more than Korean players, but they don't have good footwork as Korean players.

Any way, when I design my Lissom and this new blade Spartacus, (and also the upcoming Calix) I found out if I consider this Korean player's movement into the blade design, then I can get something valuable.
Because we need something different per each location.
When we are far away from the table, we need long trajectory.
When we are in the middle, we need control and power together.
When we are close to the table, we need quick and exact reaction.

So, what will be the key to these different character per each location?

I found out I can divide the point where the ball act against the blade.

For an example, when we play close to the table, actually we don't need a very good speed. Because short distance between two players cover that. Rather we need good control and quick reaction. So, I had to design how I can make an instant but computerised reaction onto the blade surface. I think if the blade is too hard, then it would not be good. It can be exact, but the ball does not stay on the surface, so you don't have a feeling you need to have when you have that short moment to control the ball. So, I used the second layer to dampen the impact of the flying ball onto the blade.
Regarding surface, I used very different materials. For Lissom, I used very hard material. But that is not thick, and embrace the ball, and connect the ball's movement to the second layer, thus the ball can react as the player want.
In Spartacus, I used very soft Kiso Hinoki, but I made an harmony by using hard carbon under the second layer. So, overall feeling is very similiar to Lissom's one.
Regarding Calix, it's quite different. It has very hard surface like Lissom, but also it has very hard carbon layer. But the surface wood has some dampening feeling, and the result of those three layers are also very similiar to Lissom and Spartacus.
But remember that Spartacus and Calix are only 5.7mm thick. They are thin. And vibration and stiff feeling coming from carbon layers are making good balance.

And I also think much about how my blade has to react when a player plays quite far away from the table.
In that case, the ball relies much on the core material, together with the carbon layers.
So, I tried to give a good power factor in the core and carbon layers' mixture.
Generally, I prefer hard but light feeling in the middle layers.
It makes good vibration, and also good power, which makes a long trajectory.
If a blade is thick, and does not vibrate at all, then the ball normally does not fly with much spin and long trajectory. Actually, the ball must make an annoying curve and disraction, when you play in the long distance. So, I tried to make blades thin.

I don't know you people will buy this story or not.
Some people wrote to me that I might copy other brand's blades.
But actually, I don't.
I knows lot's of other designers, but in most cases, they listen to me.
I share what I think.
I give informations to other global brand designers.
And they know that I always do something different.

So, this is the actual story, how I tried to make these blades.
And that's why I explain that you can have a "bang impact" if you want,and also you can make a very spinny but short trajectory ball with the same blade.

I hope this story helps people to understand more about my three blades, Lissom, Spartacus and Calix.
Oh, Spear is also similiar in this basic idea.

Edited by Nexy - 09/27/2011 at 4:53am
Brand Manager of NEXY
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2011 at 11:14am
I had a training session with a coach and another club play in between. I start considering using Spartacus as main blade since I like the superior control. The downside is less power on my attack strokes - one reason of course lies in my bad technique :( - no spin balls require you to have a more active stroke as not to land in the net.

There is something to the 'computerized control' - Spartacus dampens the incoming ball without being too soft as to get mushy. It is easy to lead to ball to where you want it. When switching between Innerforce and Spartacus I felt a great difference in the ability to control my game.

Spartacus has less catapult compared to ALC, which makes the passive game much easier. Again, heavy strokes have some speed. It is definitely a blade you can use away from the table. As Nexy described above, it seems that at some point in time the carbon kicks in.  A little downside is that Spartacus maybe plays less linear then other blades - it has a very special character which I have not seen in blades from other vendors yet.

Compared to Lissom, I like the added power - with Lissom I had issues with handling no spin balls - I think Spartacus is better at that, but less good as the Innerforce, where the catapult helps a lot.  Same as with Lissom, Spartacus has a great potential for spin - my training partners often 'misunderestimated' the spin on the ball.

While Spartacus has the same brittle feel as Lissom, I noticed today the softness of the top Hinoki layer (see Nexy's post above) which makes for a more rounded and soft  feeling on ball contact.

Spartacus supports a more consistent style of play - if you thrive on killer shots even Timo Boll could not return, you might get frustrated. On the other hand, I have much less moments where I feel like a complete fool when I can not handle even medium spinny  topspins because of my too fast equipment (and bad technique of course Star).  

Apart from rather low level players like me (~ USATT 1650), high level players with good power generation might love that blade as well. 

Edited by harldhzx - 09/28/2011 at 11:22am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2011 at 11:51pm
Hey Harldhzx, I use TBS as primary blade for a few years and last night had a hit with Iceland's #2 TT athlete's Timo Boll ZLF ST. Even with TBS, you can tell Spartacus is a half step slower ave speed and the ZLF with calibra, well that outfit is even faster. Still, with the big swing and bang impact with a modern rubber, you get more speed than you think and all that "Kick" from your hookshots and packed loops. That is often very troubling to opponents and gets a lot of points won, often more than direct winners using the TBS and T05.

Everytime I test a Nexy blade that is slower than TBS for a couple months, then go back to TBS, my game is stepped up each time. Nexy's blades like Spear, Lissom, and Spartacus kinda force you into making more active shots. Once that gets more ingrained, your game gets better. That is what has happened to me each time I test Nexy gear. My game using Spartacus has never been this good to date, and that is without all the wall blasting shots, even though the power shots with Spartacus can still go though a few feet of concrete if you rip it.

BTW, anyone else get their Spartacus yet?
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 12:28am
Well I have not seen mine yet. How long is the shipping from Korea to the States??
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
elmo51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 8:48am
got mine today which is pretty quick with normal parcel from korea to holland.
cant test until next week tough.
The blade looks very nice, good finish of the materials and feels good in hand,
mine is 82 grams and a straight version,
Wil compare next week with tbs and wsc

set up: Donic WSC

fh Cornileau target Pro GT H47

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 9:48am
got mine yesterday.. FAST delivery (im shocked..) perfect construction... tried a bit at home... seems very similar to WSC... ST handle is very confortable ..cant wait to try it tonite..
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 10:05am
korea - italy  4 days... something out of this world... (EMS)
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2011 at 2:40am
tried it.. 3 hours training:
control:awesome
spin:awesome
block:very good
sweet spot : big
speed: :( well.. this is the worst part.. i think is slower that wsc.
i will insist using it.. but is definetly NOT my blade.

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2011 at 12:53pm
eecrive, what rubbers are you using on it??? Slower than WSC then that is a bummer!!
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 1:53am
t05 FH  vega pro BH
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

eecrive, what rubbers are you using on it??? Slower than WSC then that is a bummer!!

Haha, we'd all be disappointed with just about any blade if it wasn't as fast as a Schlager Carbon, and 99% of them are not.

BTW, I don't think SC is as fast as its billing. with T05 or a slower control rubber, it feels like a control outfit close to the table.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 10:41am
lol slower than WSC isn't WSC around 7.5mm thick and heavy?  I don't think nexy designed Spartacus to be anything like WSC it is a very balanced off/off- blade
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 10:52am
pls clarify whether
WSC = Waldner Sensor Carbon or Werner Schlager Carbon.
to me personally,
Btfly SC + 1.9mm soft sponged non-fancy rbrs is still manageable & playable.
Donic WCS/WSC + Tibhar Nimbus Medium 2.0mm both sides =OMG....oh so sweet.

Edited by tiehwen - 10/09/2011 at 1:27pm
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 11:00am
The general convention is:
WSC = Waldner Senso Carbon
SC = Schlager Carbon

I think with WSC the Waldner Senso Carbon was meant.
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 11:54am
I hope it is senso carbon and not Schlager then Big smile
elmo51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 2:22pm
well i have the waldner senso carbon (wsc).'I actualy was hoping that it would be faster and just as good in terms of control so i am hoping that eecrive means schlager carbon lol.
set up: Donic WSC

fh Cornileau target Pro GT H47

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 2:25pm
Nexy wouldn't make a blade as fast as the SC since it's useless for 99.999% of the population. The WSC is fast enough, just use faster rubbers or grow a muscle. There's 40.0kg girls on the Chinese team hit harder than most guys with -off blades so there's not many excuses to need a fast blade

Edited by bluebucket - 10/01/2011 at 2:27pm
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 6:41pm
unfortunately i meant Waldner Senso Carbon.....
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

just use faster rubbers or grow a muscle. There's 40.0kg girls on the Chinese team hit harder than most guys with -off blades so there's not many excuses to need a fast blade

Indeed, it's not mass that counts, it's speed! And if you're fast, you can afford short movements, which will even give you more time to move between shots.
Growing a muscle is relatively easy, but it won't make you faster. Actually, if you're over 25, you'll barely get any faster. So for most of us grown-ups the only solution is to train and improve technique/touch, so that we can maybe step up to faster blade/rubbers.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 9:21pm
I really did not think it was SC that eecrive was referring to. I also do not need a SC as that is more like a club and not a blade. I do enjoy it with soft rubbers to knock around with but could not use it in serious play. I should have mine by Monday with the Aurus rubber. Look forward to it.

Edited by Carryboy - 10/04/2011 at 2:05am
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

just use faster rubbers or grow a muscle. There's 40.0kg girls on the Chinese team hit harder than most guys with -off blades so there's not many excuses to need a fast blade

Indeed, it's not mass that counts, it's speed! And if you're fast, you can afford short movements, which will even give you more time to move between shots.
Growing a muscle is relatively easy, but it won't make you faster. Actually, if you're over 25, you'll barely get any faster. So for most of us grown-ups the only solution is to train and improve technique/touch, so that we can maybe step up to faster blade/rubbers.

Yeah you can go slower growing more muscle weight that's for sure, you never see a big muscle guy able to hit hard in table tennis. But you can still increase the strength and speed of your existing muscles a bit without them getting much heavier. Your right though for younger people under their peak strength (25+), they can get lots faster with some weight training, more than enough to make the difference between a all round blade and a off+
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 11:16pm
WSC + Waldner Senso Carbon. Haha. Wouldn't have guessed it myself. That's what I get for opening my big mouth without knowing the deal.

Thanks for the correction friends.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2011 at 4:07pm
Just got my Spartacus today. Initial impressions: Fit an Finish is quite high as I could not find anything out of place. Kiso Hinoki top ply looks to be of high quality and nicely sanded and smoothed. Balance seems a bit towards the head and could become head heavy depending on rubbers used, however I use handle wraps so this may not be an issue. Overall the blade does feel very nice in my hand and I must say the flared handle is excellent. The wings could do with a bit of light sanding for comfort (leaving it as it is for now). Weight is 84 grams.

Will varnish lightly later and hopefully have a knock with it tonight. One point of interest is the design which is minimal and no pages of fine print that you find on some other commercial blades out there, just ready for business. More Later!!

I did a initial knuckle test on Spartacus and it has a loud carbon ping sound. I also bounced a ball on it without rubbers and it is very loud and has a hard feeling. This blade certainly does not feel as soft as I expected it to based on other reviews so far on this thread. I did give it a slight varnish and attached a sheet of Aurus soft 2.1 forehand and Donic coppa jo silver 2.0 backhand. Total weight with handle wrap is 173.8 grams which is a bit on the heavy side for me but the setup feels very balanced surprisingly. With rubbers on I did another ball test and the blade still has this hard carbon feel and sound. Will give it a test run tomorrow.

uploads/20135/Nexy_1_Oct_6.jpg
uploads/20135/nexy_spartacus.jpg

See picture of blade after attaching the rubbers.

SPEED: Off-

SURFACE FEEL: Medium -

ELASTICITY: Flexible

THROW ANGLE: Medium

Initial Playing Impressions:

I have had three nights playing with this blade (7 - 8 hours total) with the first night being not too good but very interesting nonetheless, you know more like the first date. Second night was much better as I better understood the ins and outs and what I can do and not do with this blade. I can tell you it feels like a wood blade in the low to medium speeds with much flex and good feel for the ball. This blade does not have a lot of rebound like most of the blades that I am use to. I had to make some adjustments in my pushing and over the table play. The upside to this is that my forehand and backhand pushes are a lot spinnier as I am able to really sink the ball into the sponge or brush the ball with a bit more force. Pushing long, short, drop shots, flicks were easy as the control factor on Spartacus is very high.

Loops are ridiculously easy, I mean easy to the point that after every shot I kept looking at the racket and my practice partner. Slow and medium speed loops are so loaded that they are more than likely blocked off or they pop up for a easy put away. Loop drives are very fast, loads of spin, dipping, curving (the whole kitchen sink) with just slight variations in blade angle. I could see that my practice partner was having real problems dealing with the spin. Changing loop directions was as easy as just a thought and quite explosive. I would say that this would have to do also with the Aurus Soft rubber on this blade as it would seem that both blade and rubber  really gel together to create one heck of a looping synergy. On hard shots you begin to feel the carbon kicking in like a turbocharged engine. My first night with this set up was a disaster as most of my shots kept going long. I had to angle the blade much lower than usual (flexible medium throw blade + high throw spinny rubber = Ouch) Flat Hits and smashes I am still working on as there is still a high degree of error. Third night flat hits and smashes are much improved.

Blocks are OK and I really did not find an issue with it and it even get better once you begin to understand the blade.

Serves are good and quite spinny. Short serves needs some practice.

Played my first practice match last night with this set up. I did manage to win the match 3 - 2 but just barely. This match was by no means a looping/power game but a touch and push sort of scenario. For neither love nor money would my opponent push or play power shots on my forehand and kept putting the ball short (dead ball) if he had to. I guess he was not in an adventurous mood knowing what this combo could do, so my forehand looping was at a minimum but when I did get the chance the spin was horrendous. I lost a lot of points pushing on my forehand due to me misjudging the rebound on the blade and Aurus Combo. I lost quite a bit of points with my serves (practice needed) as I was serving off the table. I did win as lot of points with my backhand drives and loops especially a few feet off the table and just letting it rip. After three days of playing I feel there is a change in the blade, it feels a bit looser and not so tight and woody as before.

....................................................Review update.................................................................

After testing Spartacus a few weeks back I had taken off the rubbers and put it up as I felt that while being a real nice blade it just did not suit my style of play. Since then I did receive the Calix for testing and I decided to try Spartacus again mainly as a comparison.

I made a rubber change using Hammond ProB Max forehand and Stiga Magna TS II 2.0 backhand. The change is quite dramatic and a little surprising. While everything remains the same in my original review, the blade has become much more linear in feel and faster with the rubber change. Flat hits which I had a problem with Aurus Soft attached is there in spades with the ProB.

Touch Game has vastly improved with the rubber change and I am not putting balls into the net as I was with the original rubbers.

Spartacus favors harder rubbers in the medium to medium-  range and medium to medium low throw.

Edited by Carryboy - 06/11/2012 at 7:22pm
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2011 at 11:10am
Hope you get to have fun topspinning and banging it around having fun being in more rallies.
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2011 at 11:57am
Here are my initial impressions: Fit and finish of blade is top notch quality, ST handle feels very good and comfortable. (80 g blade)

While performance seems very good with H3 Neo or Thor's on FH and Tenergy 64 on backhand, the feeling will take some getting used to. Feeling is harder than expected making touch shots a problem compared to my usual blade with the same rubbers (Timo Boll ZLF). Definitely not the same softer hinoki type feel of gergley and schlagler carbon.

I'll post a more thorough review once I play with it some more.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 3:30am
Dear all people ....

I don't come often here in this forum, but as a designer, I know some times, I need to answer.
So, if you have any questions to me, just quote this passage and leave a note, then I will requote and give replies to those questions.
Thank you!
Brand Manager of NEXY
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 11:37am
I received my Spartacus FL today. The feel and finish is very nice, its marked @ 84gms which is ideal weight for me. 

I pinged the blade w/o rubbers and it gave a high pitched sound, a 'fast' sound. I can see 2 layers of thin carbon between the wood.

I'll be testing it tonite with Xiom Omega IV on the FH and med pips on the BH.

Day 1:  rallied with the Spartacus, it's a looping machine!  My loops are landing way before the endline of the table. Very spinny loops from close and mid-distance with alot of kick.  The Spartacus is not as fast as the TBS & Photino.  It reminds me alot of the ZLF.

Great ball placement and over-the-table loops, I was able to heavy chop back loops easily. The Xiom Omega IV is a good looping rubber for the Spartacus. After warming up my BH, I was able to loop quite easily with the pips. The Spartacus + pips did create many high returns, exactly what I want to happen with the med pips. Service returns were very easy, I could do the exact shots that I wanted. Short ball over the net, hard chop to the corners from FH and BH. Even though I won all my matches, I'm still looking for alittle more power, perhaps Tenergy will do the trick.

I'll use T05 or T25 for the next test.

Day 2 & 3:  changed the rubbers to T25 (2.1) FH and Tango Ultra SP (2.0) BH.  Compared to the previous setup, it made all the difference.  The shots are very crisp and precise with the T25, loops are more spinny and powerful. I was able to close the blade more and spank some serves for winners. Return of service was very easy, no problem with ball placement, short flips over the net or to the end lines.

The BH with the Tango Ultra was easy and needed no adjustment, I usually have problems popping up the ball but definitely not with this blade. I can chop from short and mid distance, loop from end of table and flat hit from just about anywhere.

The choice of rubbers made a huge difference in how the Spartacus played. It needs harder rubbers to bring out its power and control. I can hit the higher balls with a heavy underspin chop thats pretty much unreturnable at my low playing level.

Right now the Spartacus is in the ballpark of TB Spark, ZLF, Keyshot light and
Tihbar Rapid Carbon(minus).

I'll be playing it again today and with some higher level players, will report back soon.

Edited by jt99sf - 10/09/2011 at 12:31pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic