Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primorac Off- Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primorac Off- Club
    Posted: 10/16/2011 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by ttennis1 ttennis1 wrote:

Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

Originally posted by i rock i rock wrote:

as a beginner i am going to buy a primorac off- with 2 yasaka mark v rubbers...so is it suitable 4 beginners or not

Primorac is too fast for the beginner unless you have a full time coach to teach you from the beginning. Also, Sriver L, EL, FX, Mark V, etc, are rubbers that feels dead without speed glue, and with speed glue, they are too fast for the beginner.
Any ALL blade with LKT Pro XP will be better for someone without coach.

I disagree with the notion that Primorac (OFF-) is too fast for a beginner!

I agree that you and I (and some other people on this forum) disagree. 
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
Sponsored Links

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 11:20am
At least someone else agrees that those overrated Sriver and Mark V are dead without speed glue. You know, it hurts me a little when someone comes here for advice and you people recommend this obviously below par old rubber, that on top of everything costs a ton. I would bet a dime that not one of the people that recommend them actually play with them. 

I don't agree that it's easier to learn with dead rubber AT ALL. Try backhand loop of a chopped ball. New rubber can make a world of difference. I own a near new Sriver FX and you need to swing-dislocate-your-shoulder to loop a good chop. All of the 33$ rubbers on ttnpp from Donic, Andro, Xiom do this significantly easier, and DO encourage you to try this shot more often.

puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
ttennis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

as a beginner i am going to buy a primorac off- with 2 yasaka mark v rubbers...so is it suitable 4 beginners or not

Primorac is too fast for the beginner unless you have a full time coach to teach you from the beginning. Also, Sriver L, EL, FX, Mark V, etc, are rubbers that feels dead without speed glue, and with speed glue, they are too fast for the beginner.

I disagree with the notion that Primorac (OFF-) is too fast for a beginner!
Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 7:33pm
I've used the primorac with a few classics, one setup with 1.8 729 FX and 1.5 729 on the BH and that was a fairly fast setup actually that's the setup of a 1900 level player at my club. Got a kid using it with TG3 who's about 1600 US and has been using it since about 1100 US a year ago. I don't recommend that blade for a first day beginner since in the end it is a fairly fast blade and you need to remember the majority of good 2400 players use all+ blades with modern rubber. But if you've played for a year or even two then it's fine with classic rubber. You can keep it for the rest of your life since it's unlikely you will ever get better than the blade is capable of. Sriver el is a fairly demanding rubber compared to a classic tacky or even Mark V though so that might be pushing it. I know a garage level player that started playing seriously with another -off wood and Sriver and that was too fast for him but he was able to use it after about 12 months
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 5:26pm

Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 5:15pm
It's a funny thing about this blade. I have been playing for 40 years and have owned over 100 blades. I don't feel Primorac is a "slow" blade at all. I think fast or slower arm swing really translates into the final speed of the ball (along with rubber selection + thickness). With T05 it was plenty fast, with Sriver 2.1 was fast but had to work a bit harder but still nice. My definition of a slow blade is BTY Grubba Pro...turtle speed. My Primorac is one year old, made in Japan, 92 gr, and is solid. I think this blade can be used by everyone, many styles, except power hitters that play away. Back to the funny thing...I keep coming back to it after trying others so it must have some kind of good mojo. I have the Extra and the Applegren Allplay and feel the Primorac is more solid and faster. Everyone has different preceptions and no one person is "wrong", it's what works the best for their game. Thumbs Up  
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 1:21pm
I took one of the guys' primorac today at the local club. It had Sriver L both sides. I think the sriver is 1.9mm. Didn't look like 2.1 to me. I stand by my opinion of not needing anything slower than that to start. There's no way the speed of that setup is too fast for any beginner. At least with the 40mm. It's a very very very slow setup. I don't use horribly fast equipment either. Half the time I play with a defense II which is faster.  
 I haven't played with a primorac in a long time, but I don't remember it having THAT much vibration and clunkiness. The last one I played with was much older, and had a much more solid feel from what I remember. I think the quality of this blade has gone down over the years (not unusual for basically all blade models, so nothing against the primorac specifically) It took me a few balls to adjust, but I started looping with it. Definitely requires technique to get a good loop.  I understand why people like it, but overall performance I still think the Extra and The Appelgren Allplay are both better for that speed range in terms of most shots. I'd give it an edge hitting and blocking, and looping to the allplay/extra. At least with Sriver L, having a more firm sponge compared to FX and EL. I like vibration for ball feedback, but the clunky feel of the primorac is something I've defintely grown away from.

But if it is a first blade for someone, I don't disagree with icontek and most people at all- you can use this blade for a long time as you develop- with faster rubbers if needed. The guy I play that uses it has a nice habit of not missing a lot- for his level of play its quite impressive. And that's what counts.

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the blade, I just feel there are plenty of cheaper options of equal or better quality and performance that will do just as well for beginners.

the general point always stands though- this kind of equipment is best to start with.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Do NOT buy Mark V. That is a speed-glue era rubber, that for some reason still costs over 30 USD$. If you don't glue it is a dull rubber all around. I mean it really has nothing, no speed, no spin. It has control, yeah, but without any teeth it is useless. 

This is not an opinion; it's just misinformation.

If you can't produce speed or spin with Mark V, it's your technique, not the rubber.

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

There are lots of premades that are faster than primorac with 1.5mm sriver or markv.. you want to upgrade from premade not downgrade.

It is a mistake to think that "faster than a premade = upgrade".

Sure, there are plenty of Stiga Premades that are plenty fast/spinny (a lot of them seem to have chinese made tacky rubbers with soft sponges these days), but I wouldn't put them against a Primorac and 1.7/1.9mm Srivers for utility use, stroke development and outright top end.

The bottom line is that a Primorac with classic rubber is a great learning tool for developing the ability to produce topspin with your own mechanics. Once you can do that, you can escalate the speed from your stroke (because it has enough topspin to come down on the table).

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

The normal setup for begginers to intermediate players used to be 1.5mm sponge on the 38mm ball. With the heavier balls it's 1.8mm-2.0mm. I go 1.8 for normal kids and 2.0 for talented kids and that works well

Wisdom. +1

Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

I have T05 max on FH, and the loops are just vicious. I tape my FH loop practice at home to make sure I swing with open arm like WLQ or ML, and I am quite stron physically, so when I have time to make a good swing with this setup my loops rarely come back, not even when I practice with the coach.

How highly rated is your coach? Is he missing the blocks because of your placement or because of your power?

And I agree fully that the Primorac is a great "platform" to start and develop with (because you can start with it around US1000 and scale up to through intermediate with the blade  > US1800, just by changing rubber over the course of your development.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 3:13pm
I have T05 max on FH, and the loops are just vicious. I tape my FH loop practice at home to make sure I swing with open arm like WLQ or ML, and I am quite stron physically, so when I have time to make a good swing with this setup my loops rarely come back, not even when I practice with the coach. This blade can squeeze every last drop of spin from T05 and is still fast enough. The 'bite' that you feel at contact is so strong (when you have at least a little bit of power on the stoke) that it gives you confidence and I try and sometimes loop short low chops to my forehand that are usually hard to lift because you can't swing upward enough.

Backhand with T05 was hard to tame for me though. It was flying everywhere. Baracuda or Vega europe work better for me there, and both bite super nice on the Primo too.

I also second Imago's opinion about the handle. It is so easy to adjust between shots to give a slight FH or BH favor.

Weight is a bit of a problem though. I am a strong guy, but swinging with open arm and full commitment makes recovery difficult. Good thing I usually score on those.
When people play only to my BH and I keep looping everything, my rear shoulder gets sore quickly. I try to strenghten my rear shoulder in the gym, but it doesn't seem to help, and I don't know how to get rid of that issue.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 12:58pm
Anyone using Tenergy's or Bryce with Primorac? If so what are your observations, likes dislikes. I found T05 pretty heavy on Primorac even with 1.9. Looping was pure fun but service return was a bit of a problem since I didn't play with it long enough ( 3 days). Acuda S1, S2, S3 would probably match up very well with Primorac. S3 might "mush" out but I could be wrong. BTY would hit a home run if they could develop a lighter Tenergy with a lower cost....ya rite. LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 11:25am
The normal setup for begginers to intermediate players used to be 1.5mm sponge on the 38mm ball. With the heavier balls it's 1.8mm-2.0mm. I go 1.8 for normal kids and 2.0 for talented kids and that works well
i rock View Drop Down
Forum Flooder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 5:50am
thanks  every1 for your great help
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 2:31am
I agree with the above poster.

I always recommend ALL+ or OFF- all wood blades for beginners.  For rubbers, I always recommend classic rubbers, such as Sriver, MarkV or Mendo.  However, I recommend 2.0 (MarkV / Mendo) or 2.1 (Sriver) even for beginners.  I think 1.5 or 1.7 are too thin, and 2.0 is not that fast either.  I am sure that beginners can handle 2.0 or 2.1 rubbers on a slow allwood blade.

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 2:14am
2.0 mark V with primorac is a good set up unless you're an advance player
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 1:25am
There's no reason to buy a 1.5mm sponge from such a slow rubber to match a slow blade if your goal is to be an all-around/offensive player. Under 1.9mm for such slow equipment is not necessary unless you have a different game plan in mind. There's enough control (PLENTY) as it is to develop strokes in a 2.1/1.9 or a 2.0 with markv/sriver on a primorac, using 1.5 in comparison compared to 1.9 is all loss and no gain, and you should get used to the feel of having a sponge under there to catapult the ball anyway. There are lots of premades that are faster than primorac with 1.5mm sriver or markv.. you want to upgrade from premade not downgrade. Even all the national coaches when recommending a first racket recommend primorac/sriver but in 1.9 or 2.1mm on butterflyonline.com. If you're someone who is getting coaching and playing a lot, you will groove out through practice what you need, and you'll need to step up your sponge soon anyway. If you're just a recreational player who just likes to play, then 1.9 or 2.1mm is okay anyway because you're still going to want some oomph from your racket compared to the premade you had. This particular set up is NOT fast enough to put a damper on anyone's development of offensive strokes no matter the sponge thickness. I understand the need for technical refinement- but 1.5mm over 1.9 in the case of slow rubber slow blade holds no extra benefit.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 1:19am
Moon 36-37 is the perfect budget rubber for Primorac Off- which, BTW, has the best BTY handle.
ttennis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 1:04am
@irock,

Had been in your situation and due to the help of great people on this forum I have switched over to Primorac (OFF-) with a pair of flextra rubbers.

Your decision of going with Mark-V is absolutely correct & you can easily switch over to 2.0mm Mark-V. Infact don't go below a 2.0mm sponge for your Mark-V. This is a gem of a rubber which can do it all.

One more thing, Primorac has just an ideal speed & control for a player taking table tennis seriously.

If you can, hit a few balls with a primorac just to see the fit of the handle in your hand and the over all feel of the paddle.

Hope this helps.

Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 12:26am
2 years without serious coaching is far too early to use a tensor imho. If you want you can change the Mark V for a TG3 2.0 on the FH )only if you prefer tacky rubbers) but I wouldn't change anything else
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 11:04pm
Yes agree since you have been playing two year Mark V 2.0 is fine. This setup is fast allround and will allow you to develop further....good luck.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 10:37pm
I rock you will be fine with 2.0mm Mark V if you've been playing 2 years. I have players using it with TG3 2.0 on the forehand and that works perfectly with the primorac
i rock View Drop Down
Forum Flooder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 10:15pm

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

i have been playing like 1-2 years....im an indian and live in saudi arabia and there few indian national players who are now coaches over here but i dont go for coaching to them......as i hav seen their game,style and technique are completely different and wrong...so i watch videos of ma long ,zhang jike,etc and learn from them and still beat many players who go for coaching regularly

Your setup sounds fine, good luck.
i use a donic 900 racket and wanted to buy my first blade which is primoracDead
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 9:32pm

i have been playing like 1-2 years....im an indian and live in saudi arabia and there few indian national players who are now coaches over here but i dont go for coaching to them......as i hav seen their game,style and technique are completely different and wrong...so i watch videos of ma long ,zhang jike,etc and learn from them and still beat many players who go for coaching regularly

Your setup sounds fine, good luck.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
i rock View Drop Down
Forum Flooder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 8:40pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 7:23pm

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Mark V 1.5mm is better for beginners. 2.0 is to fast for them on the Primorac. Just my humble opinion since I coach beginners all the time.

Since there isn't much info, that's my first recommendation. But he probably should not even use Mark V to start with.

if i shouldn't use mark v so which rubber would you choose

How long have you been playing and do you have access to coaching?

mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 7:22pm

Does anyone know if a dealer can order one in ST. or AN? Dealers in europe offer Primorac in all 3 grips, I guess USA is a smaller market for BTY Japan so options are limited for us. Makes me so mad I could eat fried chicken! LOL

Here in Japan also FL only available.
BTY already stopped others handle production.
i rock View Drop Down
Forum Flooder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 7:16pm

Mark V 1.5mm is better for beginners. 2.0 is to fast for them on the Primorac. Just my humble opinion since I coach beginners all the time.

Since there isn't much info, that's my first recommendation. But he probably should not even use Mark V to start with.
if i shouldn't use mark v so which rubber would you choose

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 2:26pm

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 2:14pm
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

i rock View Drop Down
Forum Flooder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 1:47pm
thanks 4 the information
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 1:43pm

Mark V 2.0 sponge.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic