Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primorac Off- Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primorac Off- Club
    Posted: 10/11/2011 at 12:55pm
Who out there loves their Primorac? It doesn't matter what your level or playing style just want to stir the pot for this great BTY blade. What is it about this blade that makes it a great one...here is my observations:

1. It looks darn good (handsome devil with it's dark wood in the handle with the light strip running down the middle.
 2. Medium solid feel with good ball feel and the right vibrations.
 3. A bit on the heavy side but balances very nice in the hand. Feels like a "serious" blade with 2.1 or max rubbers.
 4. Provides the right amount of dwell time for looping, enough power close to mid to hit past your opponent.
 5. A bit expensive now but every mid level or upper mid level player should own one.
 6. Good for beginners with thin rubbers.
 7. A broad spectrum blade that can do it all.

The only negatives is the FL handle could be a bit bigger, and the price could come down (wishful thinking). Yes I know about OSP and others which I have tried and they are great too but for some reason I keep coming back to this great BTY blade. I wish ST. and AN where available in the USA as they were in the past. If NASA ever sent a blade up into space for our little green friends My vote is for sending the legendary Primorac. But then again they may prefer composites better. LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 1:14pm
If you aren't sure which of the thousands of blades on the market to buy as a first and last blade then this is the one you get, it's a totally safe decision
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 2:04pm
As safe of a decision it is, there are quite a few near identical playing blades for a lot cheaper than 68 dollars. If not for the butterfly price raises, I'm with you. It's a great blade. But as for now- it's over priced in my opinion for what it is.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 2:11pm
What blades are similar to this one but cheaper?
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 2:56pm
The handle WAS bigger.

I ran into an older version of the blade and its handle was thicker and tapered less in thickness than the current version. It was very comfortable unlike the current version.

Why the heck did BTY change a good handle. To save material?

Edited by racquetsforsale - 10/11/2011 at 2:58pm
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 6:03pm
Old logo version with metal tag was far away than the current one that sucks (the one with the plastic tag with new logo). Quality  and feeling was much better.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 7:12pm
my second blade, good 5 ply blade with lots of dwell time and control, good for looping but a little expensive though IMHO
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 7:21pm
Too bad this blade is no longer available in ST.
I really like ST handle.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Old logo version with metal tag was far away than the current one that sucks (the one with the plastic tag with new logo). Quality  and feeling was much better.

The one with metal tag was made in Japan and the one with plastic tag was made in one of the Eastern European country.

Currently with the new regulation, you can't get the Japanese version.  I heard that the Japanese version is a lot better.  Mine is also European version and it is certainly as thick as my Japanese Korbel (around 5.9 mm).  However, I read the Japanese catalog and it is written that Japanese Primorac is only 5.5 mm in thickness.

I like mine also, but I found one equivalent, that is Donic Waldner Senso V1 (yellow handle, all wood).

I don't say that Donic Waldner V1 has exactly the same feel with Primorac Off-, but function wise, it is as versatile as Primorac Off-.

Edited by doraemon - 10/11/2011 at 8:40pm
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 9:50pm
Mine has the silver square logo at the end of the handle. It also has a seriel number etched on the blade face. I thought it was made in Japan now not sure. When new it had high build quality, the only thing I had to do was seal it and lightly sand the FL handle. I will order 2 more just in case BTY has another mind rot to discontinue it. Dead They are very famous for discontinuing great blades.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 11:05pm
The silver square logo is the new logo.  They are for Japanese made blades.  So yours is made in Japan. 

The plastic logo is for European market.  If I am not wrong, they are made in Hungary.  Not sure though.

Edited by doraemon - 10/11/2011 at 11:07pm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

But as for now- it's over priced in my opinion for what it is.

Are you kidding me?
It's half the price of the blade that most US1300-1400 players choose (TBS/ALC) LOL

$68 is a not much money for a blade that can take you from US800 to US1700 easily without having to switch blades. In fact, it could save players quite a bit of money over it's lifespan.

I do think it's too fast as an upgrade from a premade, (even with 1.7mm Flextra's) but it's a great OFF- blade that does so many things well.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 12:11am
Did Zoran actually use this blade a few years ago or is it BTY mythology and marketing? Some here think it is a slow blade but paired with Tenergy, Bryce or Bryce speed it has mucho speed. Agree compared to many BTY blades the price isn't right but it's not crazy either.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 1:09am
I'm sure he would have used it. None of the other European pros at that time where using blades any faster than a Primorac. Waldner never used a fast blade, you just didn't need it with the 38mm.

The thing that took me 10 years after the ball change to realise is that you still don't need it. We all got carried away with trying to make up the 10-15% loss of speed and spin the ball change caused with faster blades and more spinny rubbers.

Finally I've realised if you just accept that the game is now 10-15% slower and use the same equipment you would have used in the late 1990s you will improve your rating 10-15% instantly :0. The overall lower quality of the average club player since the change can be blamed entirely on faster blades and thicker rubber or indirectly the ball change itself

Edited by bluebucket - 10/12/2011 at 1:15am
ttennis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 1:29am
Well....well,

I have the pleasure of using the Primorac (OFF-) for sometime now and it is a great blade.

Paired it up with Flextra rubbers and I think it is a very good combination for a Beginner player.

My blade has Made in Japan written on the handle along with the rest of the details.

@frogger rightly summarized!

Edited by ttennis1 - 10/12/2011 at 2:42am
Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 2:08am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

But as for now- it's over priced in my opinion for what it is.

Are you kidding me?
It's half the price of the blade that most US1300-1400 players choose (TBS/ALC) LOL

$68 is a not much money for a blade that can take you from US800 to US1700 easily without having to switch blades. In fact, it could save players quite a bit of money over it's lifespan.

I do think it's too fast as an upgrade from a premade, (even with 1.7mm Flextra's) but it's a great OFF- blade that does so many things well.

No I'm not kidding you. There's nothing truly better about it compared to most other thinner 5-plys on the market. Most of them are under 50 bucks. You can't really compare it to a popular arylate-carbon blade price wise. It's nothing but a 5-ply. Only butterfly can charge what it does for a simple 5-ply blade, especially after they are cutting the quality down a bit compared to previous years. There are many other blades you can keep no matter how good you get, its not like the primorac is the only blade that can take you from rating a to rating b. The blade is NOT what takes you to a certain level. Dont give it too much speed credit either- Sriver 1.9 or 2.1mm on primorac isn't too fast for any beginner. Butterfly is popular for taking old models of blades, painting a new handle and name on it, and re-releasing it for 40 dollars more. It's butterfly. That's half the reason the blade is popular in the first place. I also find it silly that they have the same blade in two different tiers of quality... and when people try to get the better one (from japan) they shut it down so that you can only buy from your country. In my mind it would be bad for a company to allow two different levels of quality going out in the market for the same product.

sure it's a great blade, but there are plenty of other great and arguably better 5-plys for a lot cheaper. Again- it's just a simple 5-ply blade that's been around forever, and it's not worth 68 dollars when I can buy an Extra for basically half the price.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 9:05am
The price to Primorac jump about 20% last year, but so is other BTY blades.  At $68, I think it's still affordable, and for me if the an equipment is affordable, and if it helps my game (or that I like it), it's a go Smile.   You can save $20-$30 getting a similar blade from Yinhe, 729, Palio, etc...  but at the eod, you still don't have the Primorac, and the saving is not that significant imo.

For me I like the Korbel better, but it you want more control, then you can't go wrong with the Primorac.

Edited by mhnh007 - 10/12/2011 at 9:57am
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 9:20am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

The price to Primorac jump about 20% last year, but so is other BTY blades.  At $68, I think it's still affordable, and for me if the an equipment is affordable, and if it helps my game (or that O like it), it's a go Smile.   You can save $20-$30 getting a similar blade from Yinhe, 729, Palio, etc...  but at the eod, you still don't have the Primorac, and the saving is not that significant imo.

For me I like the Korbel better, but it you want more control, then you can't go wrong with the Primorac.

I think the point is...why would you want a Primorac over a Yinhe, 729, Palio, etc.?  It's like what beeray said, nothing sets it apart except for the Butterfly name, which does nil to help your game.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 9:40am
I wouldn't especially choose one over a Yasaka or Stiga 5 ply blade but I would drop the extra money over anything Yinhe, 729 or Pailo make just for the extra consistency and knowing what you are going to get. Specifically because of the more random handles from those makes, a handle different than you expected is a total deal breaker for me and worse than a blade weight that's out of spec. I will add that 729's handles are always the same, only problem is they are always a weird shape

Edited by bluebucket - 10/12/2011 at 9:41am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 9:56am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

The price to Primorac jump about 20% last year, but so is other BTY blades.  At $68, I think it's still affordable, and for me if the an equipment is affordable, and if it helps my game (or that O like it), it's a go Smile.   You can save $20-$30 getting a similar blade from Yinhe, 729, Palio, etc...  but at the eod, you still don't have the Primorac, and the saving is not that significant imo.

I think the point is...why would you want a Primorac over a Yinhe, 729, Palio, etc.?  It's like what beeray said, nothing sets it apart except for the Butterfly name, which does nil to help your game.
No, I don't think you get the point.  The point is, if you don't like, it, then fine.  But if you do, why try to save a $20-30 to get something similar, but may not be the same?  And if you do know a blade that play exactly the same, then please let us know.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 10:22am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

The overall lower quality of the average club player since the change can be blamed entirely on faster blades and thicker rubber or indirectly the ball change itself

Ha ha, ho ho, he he. Was guilty of this myself from 2002-2008 (OFF blade, made smashes, kills, drives less returnable, made unforced errors more and more obvious).

sure it's a great blade, but there are plenty of other great and arguably better 5-plys for a lot cheaper. Again- it's just a simple 5-ply blade that's been around forever, and it's not worth 68 dollars when I can buy an Extra for basically half the price.

Not really disagreeing here. And of course there are plenty of other blades that can take you from 800-> 1700. Just wanted to make the point that many players wind up using 5+ blades during their quest to improve, or they jump into something as fast as a TBS, YEO or Clipper and plateau really early. In fact, we have a young guy at the club (early 20's) who abandoned his Primorac at about 1300 after just a year of play. He was a high school tennis star, very athletic, and very good technique. 4 years later, he's still @ 1400 (he went with an OFF+, because it made his loopkill devastating). He regularly beats US1600 players and loses to US1200 players. Although he has much better strokes and footwork and sense of the game and tactics than he did at US1300, his ability to take control of the point just isn't there and people can and often do exploit his equipment (encouraging him to push long, giving him heavy topspin and even helping him create popups during the push/opener). Don't get me wrong, his stellar footwork and very good stroke mechanics means that he can play topspin defense far better than most people at his level; but when your OFF+ is frequently being used to lob from far court, that's often a sign that something has gone horribly wrong.

And ironically, perhaps, the Extra would be my choice for a blade of higher quality (Swedish construction, Japanese attention to QC and finishing) in that speed class. In fact I own one, and it's my backup blade. The increased flex flex makes it pair with Chinese rubbers a bit better as well... But the Primorac, side by side with the Extra, flat hits better (less flex, better control), blocks more stably and has an edge for controlled pushing (again, because of slightly more stiffness). So while I like the Extra more, especially for looping, it's simply not as versatile a blade.

At the level that the Primorac excels, players should be learning all the strokes, and it's good at all of them. Of course, we will always have US800-1100 "3rd ball attackers" and "powerloopers" and "two winged loopers" who choose other equipment like the TBS, YEO, HK, etc. etc. (either because their heros use it, because someone better recommends, or because it makes their attack that much more powerful), but those faster equipment choices inevitably come at a cost to the strokes they have not developed. And I would go so far that argue that the Primorac even rivals some of Stiga's slower blades for controlled and stable service return. Kind of an important part of the game, no?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 11:09am
I don't know why people complain about and extra $30 with something that is pretty much forever like a blade, by the time you get there, accommodation and pay entry it usually costs ten times that per tournament. If you play 5-10 tournaments per year, your blade price is almost a non issue and apart from training balls it's the most important thing you will ever buy in table tennis. 

Pay the extra money and get a good sensible blade. To play their best most people under US 2200 need to use an all to -off 5 ply and the Primorac is one of the top few 5 plys around. Blades with hard surfaces like the Rosewood and YEO are technically better blades but who's good enough to use one of those blades to it's full potential... not as many as think they are
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 11:12am
2.1 Sriver is not suitable for a beginner on the Primorac. 1.9 Flextra is a much better rubber for them.  I use 2.1 Sriver on mine since I have played the game since cavemen where hitting berries back and forth with a fern. Smashes are fast, loops are powerful, flat hits quick, control is great...what else other than good coaching do we need. Primorac is one of those blades that "finds the table" for alot of players and I think that is why it is very popular and a BTY top seller.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 1:18pm
If anyone knows and equally good or better blade cheaper than Primorac, please name the blade or shut up. I have 7 5-ply blades and I used to like them before I got my first Primorac. Now they all blow hard. One is too stiff, one is flexy but the top ply is too hard. Nothing gives me the same ball feel. It has just the right vibration, the right stiffness, softness, speed. My other blades just feel sterile now, it's like somebody cut out some of the features of a blade.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

If anyone knows and equally good or better blade cheaper than Primorac, please name the blade or shut up. I have 7 5-ply blades and I used to like them before I got my first Primorac. Now they all blow hard. One is too stiff, one is flexy but the top ply is too hard. Nothing gives me the same ball feel. It has just the right vibration, the right stiffness, softness, speed. My other blades just feel sterile now, it's like somebody cut out some of the features of a blade.

One of my alltime favs: Donic Persson PowerPlay, also P. Power Allround and the Appelgren Allplay. (depending on your level)
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 4:11pm
I, too, pick the Persson Power Allround over the Primorac any day.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 6:51pm
Hey everyone please keep it friendly, this thread is just a fun way to exhalt the legendary Primorac Off-. Some prefer other blades, some like myself have a long time love affair with this blade. All the other blades are perfectly fine blades in their own right, are cheaper in some cases but are not a Primorac. No one blade is perfect for everyone, that's what makes our sport unique. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 8:25pm
I love my Primorac Off- so much, and sometime I feel it is as good as my TBS.LOL However, I wish it is a ST handle instead of FL handle because it feel so empty when I hold it and my hand is already too small.
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2011 at 9:07pm

Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

No, I don't think you get the point.  The point is, if you don't like, it, then fine.  But if you do, why try to save a $20-30 to get something similar, but may not be the same?  And if you do know a blade that play exactly the same, then please let us know.

Because I'll like the $20-30(or more) cheaper blade just as much? Why would I care to get a blade that plays exactly the same? So what if another 5-ply has a bit more or less vibrations, so what if it's a bit stiffer or flexier, so what if it's a little harder or softer, so what if it's a little heavier or lighter? Like that's really gonna affect my game.

That's the point you, and many others on this thread don't get, as exemplified by the challenges to find another blade that plays exactly the same. With that said, I get your point just fine. You're the type of person who demands something exact, something precisely to your liking for whatever reason, whether it's fit to your style, familiarity, or simply brand association. What you don't get is that many of us aren't that type of person. We believe that we can make tiny adjustments to our strokes to fit the minute differences between the Primorac and similar blades. More than that, we believe that we'll come to love any of the vast array of blades that suit our style once we get used to it.

For example, I have a 5-ply wood blade, a 7-ply wood blade, and a 5-ply super stiff carbon blade. Now, I want to try a flexier carbon/fiber blade. The most popular of such blades is undoubtedly the TB ALC(or one of its predecessors), I've tried it out, and I really liked it.  Am I gonna go and spend $150 to get one? Hell no! I'm gonna spend $40 and get something with a similar structure. Whatever differences there are between my new blade and the ALC, and there surely will be some, will be more than made up for by some minor stroke adjustments on my part, probably within a week or two, and I'll come to love it just the same.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 12:48pm
Does anyone know if a dealer can order one in ST. or AN? Dealers in europe offer Primorac in all 3 grips, I guess USA is a smaller market for BTY Japan so options are limited for us. Makes me so mad I could eat fried chicken! LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic