FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Classic Rubbers vs. Modern Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

I played for many years with Mark V, Sriver, Mendo MP, which can probably be classified as classic rubbers.   Although I haven't tried too many "modern" rubbers, I found that some of the ones I played with to be very similar while other less similar to classic rubbers in the way they play, and hence required more adjustments on my part.

For example, Tenergy series (especially 05) required much more adjustments than Tibhar Aurus, which I've been using for over 2 years, and the adjustment was almost seamless for me.  BTW, both are excellent offensive rubbers that can be liked by players with a variety of different styles, but if someone has strong preference for the feel of a "classic", all-round offensive rubbers like Mark V or Sriver, I'd recommend Aurus over Tenergy. 

VitorK .... stop wasting so much time money and energy on equipment. focus on practice .... you will improve better ....

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Sponsored Links

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

VitorK .... stop wasting so much time money and energy on equipment. focus on practice .... you will improve better ....

You're right - trying new equipment is for the most part a waste of time, money and energy... However, my focus on equipment fell way below 1% (in my signature), as I've been playing with the same gear for quite some time and have been practicing a lot. so I need to make few more equipment posts to get back to the 1% target :o)
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:04pm

I played for many years with Mark V, Sriver, Mendo MP, which can probably be classified as classic rubbers.   Although I haven't tried too many "modern" rubbers, I found that some of the ones I played with to be very similar while other less similar to classic rubbers in the way they play, and hence required more adjustments on my part.

For example, Tenergy series (especially 05) required much more adjustments than Tibhar Aurus, which I've been using for over 2 years, and the adjustment was almost seamless for me.  BTW, both are excellent offensive rubbers that can be liked by players with a variety of different styles, but if someone has strong preference for the feel of a "classic", all-round offensive rubbers like Mark V or Sriver, I'd recommend Aurus over Tenergy.  

Interesting observation! You are spot on with this actually! Out of Modern rubbers - the Aurus seems most similar to the Classics - each classic had it's own distinct feel - but the Aurus (or even Aurus Sound) seems to nestle in among them. 

It certainly has the linearity aspect - it is not too powerful on softer shots, but increases in power as your shot gets stronger. It is not as bouncy as other tensors, and allows accurate placement in tight angles. I has a bit of character - if you've often played with Aurus - you can distinguish it from another tensor (this is not the same for all tensors - most of which feel pretty similar (of course NOT ALL FEEL SIMILAR)). It still has the tensor muted feel, and is less crisp than most older rubbers... but there were some dull feel older rubbers out there too.

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 6:17pm

You're right - trying new equipment is for the most part a waste of time, money and energy... However, my focus on equipment fell way below 1% (in my signature), as I've been playing with the same gear for quite some time and have been practicing a lot. so I need to make few more equipment posts to get back to the 1% target :o)

Thats like saying .....

"Vaccination has less than 1% effect on health. After I complete my vaccination, i will never take one again......they don't help."

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 7:00pm

Thats like saying .....

"Vaccination has less than 1% effect on health. After I complete my vaccination, i will never take one again......they don't help."

Unfortunately, I don't get this analogy ... it's been a long day at work, so I might be too tired
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Sriver is very good with speed glue. I have not seen anyone dispute that. You kind of wasting your time there, defending a point that noone is attacking. 
Those rubbers are OLD generation or just OLD. They are not classic, and they are not competitive without speed glue. OLD. Say it to yourself: OLD.
The same way *tuning* is not really tuning, but just a form of deformation that expands the sponge, reducing density in the process, creating a thicker but softer, and less controllable rubber. Deforming your rubber with lamp oil is really not the same as speed glue.
Lets not put lipstick on a pig. 

Note that I do not refer to all older rubbers as Classic rubbers... 

For me classic are:
Mark V, Sriver (and variants), Bryce, Bryce FX, Mendo (and variants), 729 FX, Donic Coppa, Donic JO Waldner.

They are classic either because:
1) they were good at everything! maybe not excellent at anything, but close to excellent at most things... and "only" good at others! (Sriver, Mark V, Donic JO Waldner)
2) they were not good at everything - but Excellent, truly excellent at certain things...unsurpassable - Bryce and Mendo MP belong here. Tenergy 05 is in a way a classic that belongs here - although it is modern. Stiga Magna might (and is by some) be classified here.

These rubbers are only a small selection (the best) of what was available back then. Maybe not as many rubbers as today - but still so many I have not even heard of all of them.

Donic Vario for example is an old rubber that is not a classic - it does not match the performance of the classic rubbers. I would also place Joola Samba, and Yasaka Pryde here, and personally probably also Stiga Magna since there were as many people who hated this rubber as those who loved it. 

To call them just old is to call someone like Waldner, Persson or Ma lin just old and state that they have no relevance today. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 10:46pm
Will be very interesting to see how classic and modern rubbers handle the new ball and whether we will see a large change in the composition of rubbers with the change. Some companies are already introducing more aerated sponge, intruiged to see how that performs.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 5:22am
In all honesty, I think the expert TT players on the forum need to be recommending a wider range of begginer rubbers, considering what is available these days...

Time to create a 21st century "recommended starter rubbers list" that may include some established rubbers...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 9:22am
>>>Out of Modern rubbers - the Aurus seems most similar to the Classics - each classic had it's own distinct feel - but the Aurus (or even Aurus Sound) seems to nestle in among them. 

It certainly has the linearity aspect - it is not too powerful on softer shots, but increases in power as your shot gets stronger. It is not as bouncy as other tensors, and allows accurate placement in tight angles. I has a bit of character - if you've often played with Aurus - you can distinguish it from another tensor (this is not the same for all tensors - most of which feel pretty similar (of course NOT ALL FEEL SIMILAR)). It still has the tensor muted feel, and is less crisp than most older rubbers... but there were some dull feel older rubbers out there too. <<

@Clarence247 - What you described above is exactly why I decided to use Aurus and stuck with it for the past 2.5 years.   Interestingly, it was one of the forum members (also a good friend of mine) who likes to experiment with different rubbers, who recommended Aurus to me, as he knows my style of play and knew I was longing for a linear, "do-it-all-well", all-round offensive rubber with medium-firm sponge.   Other things that make Aurus a great choice, IMO, are: relatively low price, excellent durability, and suitability for players of most levels (from beginners to pros).

[/QUOTE]

Edited by VictorK - 04/17/2014 at 9:27am
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 10:19am
Yep VictorK - Aurus is the perfect answer to your 1% equipment focus :)

It is even very flexible in that it pairs up with almost any blade extremely well!
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

In all honesty, I think the expert TT players on the forum need to be recommending a wider range of begginer rubbers, considering what is available these days...

Time to create a 21st century "recommended starter rubbers list" that may include some established rubbers...

I wholeheartedly agree.

Transitioning from something like Sriver makes less and less sense as new rubbers come out. I do not even know what to recommend anymore for new players.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:56pm
For the record, I started off in 2009 with an all wood blade, flextra on both sides. I hated it!

So many people claim using faster and spinnier rubbers cripples you, making it too easy to get spin and speed, with no control. You only lose control if you let yourself.

Perhaps these people are copping out on control. Like they buy a super controlled rubber to prevent having to learn proper technique for controlling faster equipment.

That being said, I don't think someone starting off should go tenergy. We really do need a new starter equipment thread.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 3:03pm
Vic K did a great job highlighting a lot of the things I like about Aurus. I got the azz with the high cost of T05, switched to Aurus and never looked back. I use either Aurus, or FX-P (feels like a juicier version of Aurus) on FH wing without regrets. Aurus works well on almost every bat. I know what I am getting.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Vic K did a great job highlighting a lot of the things I like about Aurus. I got the azz with the high cost of T05, switched to Aurus and never looked back. I use either Aurus, or FX-P (feels like a juicier version of Aurus) on FH wing without regrets. Aurus works well on almost every bat. I know what I am getting.

@BH-Man - VicK was quoting me by the way :)

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Like you, I also didn't like the high price of Tenergy, plus after playing with it for few months I realized that I was not good enough of a player to control Tenergy as well as I'd like in some strokes (it loops great, though) - hence my affinity for Aurus.

PS - It was Clarence247 who did that nice write up on Aurus, and I just added some of my comments/impressions.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic