Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sanwei T88-I Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanwei T88-I Review
    Posted: 05/30/2013 at 6:42pm
Surprisingly, T88-I appeared to suit my BH well, except for its large pips making banana loop too difficult. At mid- and long-range it delivers a good 'punch', you can finish a rally with BH loopkill.

Has anyone tried T88-III or Topspeed on BH? Can it perform like T88-I but with more spinny over-the-table loop?
Is T88-III sponge similar to T88-I?

Edited by GSOM_GSOM11 - 05/30/2013 at 6:43pm
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 5:11pm
>>I have played with T88-II and I would not recommend it.
What is so bad in it?

Does it have a sponge similar to T88-I?
Are the pips smaller?
Is it tacky like T88-I or Target?
Is it too slow?
Did you try boosting it?
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 10:08am
Rings Links is very mildly tacky, certainly not as much a T88-I. After a week or so it plays like a Mark V with a harder sponge.
I have played with T88-II and I would not recommend it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 9:01am
Is Rings Link a tacky rubber or a more euro-style?

Has anyone here tested a T88-II?
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 6:52am
Try the Sanwei Rings Links.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 5:33pm
Tried T-88-I 39 degrees on Barwell.

Hard feeling, good 'precise' short game, mid-low throw, excellent powerloop against backspin (much better than I expected, feeling is just like 999Nat glued, just a little slower)! Slow loop needs adjustments, you need a long brushing motion dragging the ball, attempts to pull the ball up with shorter and faster swing end up with an almost no-spin ball or go long/ The main drwaback is playing an over-the-table fast topspin hitting the top of the ball, it either drops or goes long because of lack of spin (with H3Neo it is easy to execute, no problem). The topsheet seems to be too hard and inert for such attacks because of its very large pimples.
Is there any Sanwei rubber which has similar sponge and similar topsheet with smaller pimples to maintain this superb short game and to perform a wider variety of topspin attacks, like H3Neo?
T-88-2 or 3, maybe Target Provincial?
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2012 at 6:59pm
Do they have "Sanwei stamp" on the sponge?
The one without should be much lighter and softer
vali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2012 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by riker71 riker71 wrote:

Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I got a black sheet and a red sheet. The red sheet was basically a T25 clone and weighed 62g uncut.The black sheet was 84g uncut, and had a super hard sponge and very tacky topsheet. The red and black sheets were completely different rubbers!

Thats just bizarre! 84 grams uncut :-O

mine was 66 cut .

Also I saw differences between 2 black : one very tacky and hard , another non tacky , softer and springier. Both stamped 39 degrees.

Edited by vali - 11/28/2012 at 6:36pm
Clipper
FH: XIOM Vega Asia , max
BH: Yasaka RAKZA7, 2.0
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2012 at 1:04pm
Update.

I have had the T88-1 Red 39 degree with Sanwei stamp on the sponge. Needless to say, great stuff, but it's heavy as @#$!%*! LOL 84 grams uncut, about 56 grams cut to Avalox P700.

Then I saw this!!
http://eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3448

After emailing them back and forth, they said it's lighter. So I ordered a black and red, 39 degree.

Got them on Monday, they both felt light, I immediately take the black one and put on scale. 66 grams, good!Wink
It feels much softer than the original T88-1. The topsheet has strange smell compared to the original one. Very plasticky and "sweet" smell, doesn't smell like rubber at all, very chemically-sweet smell.

Anyhow, I went and did multiballs with it for flat hits, and loops. I noticed that this time I have to swing more upwards and with more force, or the ball won't clear the net. It's pretty tiring. Seems to me that the topsheet is way less grippy to the original one and not as spinny.

With the original one, I can loop heavy underspins easily from multiball and the ball kicks away from the table, but this one, I have to do much more effort just to clear the net Ouch
I don't think it needs to be broken in, the original didn't (since they are more to european rubbers than chinese).

Did anyone try this version too? Please post your findings. I am curious if the red one behaves the same or not...
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I got a black sheet and a red sheet. The red sheet was basically a T25 clone and weighed 62g uncut.The black sheet was 84g uncut, and had a super hard sponge and very tacky topsheet. The red and black sheets were completely different rubbers!

Thats just bizarre! 84 grams uncut :-O
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 9:21pm
I got a black sheet and a red sheet. The red sheet was basically a T25 clone and weighed 62g uncut.

The black sheet was 84g uncut, and had a super hard sponge and very tacky topsheet. The red and black sheets were completely different rubbers!
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
whitewaterbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewaterbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 1:05pm
I am interested as well.  To make this rubber work like Tenergy 05, do we need to tune it or does it work out of the box?

If we need to tune it, is everyone using lamp oil/parrafin or something else?

domino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 6:48am
 is it good for smashing with soft rubber? 

Edited by domino - 03/10/2012 at 1:00am
Blade : 729 Bomb
FH    : 729 Cream Transcend
BH    : DHS Neo Hurricane 3
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 11:37pm
I guess it depends on how you tune.
if you tune with baby oil and glue with water glue then it may even be slower than tenergy by a good margin.
I used to pass a layer of lemon oil, a layer of speed glue, let dry and slap in blade.
that way it was pretty beasty LOL
the good thing about this is that you don't need to prepare your shots that much.
for example in a match to make a loop with andro hexer I need to prepare my arm, give it trajectory, hit it just right.
with my h3 tuned if the ball came uncomfortable I would just make a small movement of the forearm and I would return a decent loop.
that's how you see pros do all those crazy counterloop rallies.
they do play extremely good but if they had an untuned rubber they would play completely different and they wouldn't be able to do those shots they do.
at least that's what I think.

as for the sanwei I'm gonna pass thanks.

Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Is a tuned H3 really that much better than say the Tenergies?  I've never tuned before, but right now my rubber has a huge reverse dome and is having trouble staying on my racket, so I'm considering tuning it just to get it flatter.  I've never tried the Target, but if you're looking for more power it might not be what you're looking for.  From what I've read on Chinese boards it's a bit lacking in that department.  I have an extra T88-I if you wanna try it, I can probably get it to you for $10 shipped(I think shipping is about $5 to south america).

Domino:

You can certainly powerloop with the F3.  I think I underestimated its speed a bit initially, as I was coming off of the extremely fast T-11.  I think it's solidly in the OFF- range.  Compared to my H-WN, which is an OFF blade, it offers pretty similar speed for most shots, I almost don't even have to adjust my stroke when switching to it.

Edited by sa01 - 02/28/2012 at 11:43pm
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Probably due to t88-i's dense sponge filled with oil.

So you're saying it's tuned? Can you feel the tuning effect wearing off over time?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 9:34pm
Is a tuned H3 really that much better than say the Tenergies?  I've never tuned before, but right now my rubber has a huge reverse dome and is having trouble staying on my racket, so I'm considering tuning it just to get it flatter.  I've never tried the Target, but if you're looking for more power it might not be what you're looking for.  From what I've read on Chinese boards it's a bit lacking in that department.  I have an extra T88-I if you wanna try it, I can probably get it to you for $10 shipped(I think shipping is about $5 to south america).

Domino:

You can certainly powerloop with the F3.  I think I underestimated its speed a bit initially, as I was coming off of the extremely fast T-11.  I think it's solidly in the OFF- range.  Compared to my H-WN, which is an OFF blade, it offers pretty similar speed for most shots, I almost don't even have to adjust my stroke when switching to it.

Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Not quite as fast after the tuning effect wears out, lightly tacky as well.  Still faster than the H3 though.  I actually have the T88-I and an untuned H3P 39 on the one of my blades right now.  I feel like the H3 has a bit more spin while the T88-I is a good bit faster with higher throw.  Actually, if it wasn't for my new year's resolution of no more EJ'ing, I'm pretty damn tempted to switch back to the T88-I.  I mean, originally I was concerned due to the weight, but now that I've found a solution to that there really aren't any concerns anymore.  The thing I REALLY liked about the T88-I is that its thick topsheet/big pips make it so that it takes more effort to engage the sponge, and that really helps in the short game.  Nothing comes close to a boosted H3 though unfortunately, that thing's a real beast!

Why don't you like tuning again?  I'm pretty sure you mentioned it before but I don't remember.

I try to stay away from it because
-each time you play the rubber feels a bit different (specially if you don't play a lot) and that creates errors.
-it gives you an unreal advantage, you may think you have the best shots in the world when really a lot of it has to do with you boosting and the opponent not doing so
-I want to stay fair

I think I'll stay away from all those t88 for now, I read some more reviews and they don't seem to offer what I'm looking for.
have you tried target? it seems a bit more promising that those, and is cheap.
domino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 6:07am
how the speed of sanwei f3? is it fast enough for loop drive?
Blade : 729 Bomb
FH    : 729 Cream Transcend
BH    : DHS Neo Hurricane 3
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 1:24am
Not quite as fast after the tuning effect wears out, lightly tacky as well.  Still faster than the H3 though.  I actually have the T88-I and an untuned H3P 39 on the one of my blades right now.  I feel like the H3 has a bit more spin while the T88-I is a good bit faster with higher throw.  Actually, if it wasn't for my new year's resolution of no more EJ'ing, I'm pretty damn tempted to switch back to the T88-I.  I mean, originally I was concerned due to the weight, but now that I've found a solution to that there really aren't any concerns anymore.  The thing I REALLY liked about the T88-I is that its thick topsheet/big pips make it so that it takes more effort to engage the sponge, and that really helps in the short game.  Nothing comes close to a boosted H3 though unfortunately, that thing's a real beast!

Why don't you like tuning again?  I'm pretty sure you mentioned it before but I don't remember.

Edited by dingyibvs - 02/28/2012 at 1:27am
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2012 at 12:57am
how fast is t88-II ?
is it as fast as a tenergy or faster?
with a tacky topsheet?
for fh I don't care much about control, I want something fast with a tacky topsheet.
like a intentionally illegally boosted h3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 7:06am
Anyone tried this wunderwaffe on Viscaria or Viscaria Light?

Can it be a substitute for H3Neo or BW2?
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2011 at 6:46pm
By the way, I also tried T88-III.  I don't see much in common between the two rubbers.  The sponges are different, red for T88-I and yellow for T88-III.  The top sheet are different, T88-I's pips are denser and bigger (?) than T88-III's.  T88-III is softer and slower, and does not make the crisp sound like the T88-I.  In short, not a very interesting rubber.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2011 at 6:04pm
So I've been using it for over a month now, the durability appears to be excellent.  I think what truly makes it great is its control.  There are fast and spinny rubbers out there, but most of them give you bad control in the short game.  The T88-I, however, offers you excellent control and touch shots are quite amazing with it.  This also means that unlike those bouncy rubbers, you'll need a more full swing to extract the enormous spin and speed potential out of this rubber.  It doesn't bottom out easily what with its dense sponge and topsheet, so unlike many softer rubbers whose spin don't really increase past a certain speed point, this one keeps going.  The spin really contributes to control in the looping game as well.

Basically, I think it's very well suited for a pro-style game, where you push short left and right and when one comes long and/or high, you attack with all your power.  For this, I think the rubber would be more versatile if it's put on a harder blade.  Most players probably aren't terribly great with powershots and use many slow and medium speed strokes.  With those strokes, the T88-I's long dwell time combined with a soft blade could make the dwell insanely long, and a harder blade could make it more crisp without losing its excellent, soft touch in the short game.  I haven't tried it yet, but if my theory is correct, it would play the best on a blade like the TBS.

I'm speaking from experience of course, after switching the T88-I from a hard/stiff T-11 to a soft/flexy F3.  With the F3, I basically try to avoid slower attacking strokes because it feels quite mushy, so I stick with strokes that are at least medium in speed(wish I could execute fast strokes all time, but I'm not on that level yet).

Edited by dingyibvs - 11/08/2011 at 6:23pm
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2011 at 2:05pm
I tried T88-I, and was very impressed.  I would say it is as fast and spiny as any other chinese tensor-ish rubbers, but it was also loud. My friends, die-hard T05 users, from the next table heard the sound and came over to check it out.  I had let them try other rubbers (moon, sun, outlaw, shadow, ...) in the past, and they were not impressed, but this time they were really interested, "What is it?", "Where you got it?" ....  Maybe it also had something to do with the blade (OSP virtuoso).  
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2011 at 8:09am
I think it'll be OK because the F3 is a very soft as far as carbon blades go.  It's got two wood plies above the carbokev layer, and it's fairly thin at 5.8mm and light so it's quite flexible as well.  I'd put it at All+ or at most Off-.  I'm more used to hard rubbers on the BH anyway, as the BH rubbers I've used the longest are the DHS G888(harder than the H3) on a soft 7-ply wood blade(4.5 months) and the Moon 38 on the T-11(3.5 months).
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2011 at 7:14am
@dingy

Tue, Moon 38 is low throw, but IMHO it is way too fast and way too hard on carbon. Too fast means the trajectory is too long; too hard means you cannot generate a short enough arc, to play safe against low flat balls, or for opening loops. Stick a black Pro XP on bh and you'll know what I am talking about.  :) I suggest to order that one instead of Moon. Or Moon 33 if you absolutely must order Moon. it might solve the second problem but not the first.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2011 at 7:08am
Hmm I think you're right, and I half took your advice today.  Instead of using the Pro XT, which is on a blade my friend is borrowing right now, I slapped on my BH rubber for most of the past 4 months on the T-11, the Moon 38.  It feels considerably more controllable on my F3 than on the T-11, and the low throw does make blocking a lot easier, and drives work well as well.  Being more controllable but otherwise very similar to my old BH setup, I had little trouble adjusting back to the lower throw(I did only use higher throw BH rubbers for the last 2 weeks, after all).

It's still a bit faster than what I can handle, but it's a lot more manageable now on the F3 as opposed to the T-11.  With my BH skills so far behind my FH, I think I can improve it quite rapidly and I should be able to tame it soon.  Thus, I'll be ordering a black Moon 38(can't play with red on both sides indefinitely!) and I intend to keep my setup set at F3/T88-I 39/Moon 38 for at least the next 6 months.

Phew, feels good to be able to finally stick with one setup and focus on improving my skills!
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 3:40am
@dingy

a few remarks and suggestions:

1) pro XT is slightly tackier and therefore more spin sensitive than pro XP, which kind of defeats the purpose for backhand. It is also higher throw for the same reason.

2) actually you are lucky that your t88-I is red, because pro XP black is better than pro XP red. The former is softer, better for opening loops, so better for backhand (where you don't need to powerloop but only open and then drive or counter).

3) In my experience, it took just a week to get used to the low throw on backhand, and now I would not switch back to high throw for any reason. Low throw is just more natural and faster on backhand. Blocks are easier, faster and more consistent. Drives are natural and deadly. Now people are afraid to powerloop on my backhand because I counterhit everything. :) Of course, if you switch, your bh style would then become: opening loop, then drive. I'd say only if you want to be very aggressive with your backhand, i.e. backhand loop instead of backhand drive, you should stay with high throw. (And in this case I strongly suggest you to try Palio CJ8000 japanese sponge 36-38: very high throw, soft, spinny, but lots of control, and spin insensitive (though not as much as lkt) ). 
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 3:28am
I have a sheet of pro xt red, unfortunately my T88-I is also red, but i might try it out and see how it works.  I haven't used the pro xt in quite a while, but isn't it a medium throw rubber?  I kinda prefer high throw rubbers.  Getting used to a different throw can be quite a pain in the neck.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 3:24am
@dingy

for a light backhand rubber, why don't you just get a lkt pro xp or lkt rapid soft? spin insensitive, lots of control, good spin, and very light.

Edited by seguso - 10/28/2011 at 3:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic