FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Schlager posting at About.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

I say mytt is a pretty good forum too.  It is very liberal here but if things do get out of had, there is some moderating.

All it needs is another UI upgrade.  mytt has one of the most basic UIs of any forum I've joined.  Although it is not bad, it could be a bit better in some things.  Also I really hate it when I write a really nice long post and I get an error when I hit post!!!  Plus a larger inbox would help.  I hope you're reading this Alex Wink

Thanks

Actually I feel that MyTT (in all of its basic feel) is visually way better than About TT forum.

But that thing you mentioned - about losing your posts sometimes - I had that happened to me. On some other forums that I attend, you can hit the Back button and return to the page with your post intact, but not at MyTT. I think this is related to the type of the forum engine used for the web code creation, so unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed.

What I do with my larger posts when I definitely do not want to lose the stuff, I hot Ctrl-A ("select all") and Ctrl-C ("copy to buffer") buttons before I try to post. This way if a bad thing happens then my text is still in the buffer and I can try and repost it.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 2:44pm

I am a serial TT forumer from the mid-nineties. I don't post a lot but I monitor most of them. The original TT discussion site was on Usenet (anyone remember it?). It was called Rec.sport.table tennis (RSTT). It was fantastic for a couple of years but was ruined by one troll who made it impossible for anyone to have a conversation.

Most people moved over to About.com around 98/99 with the first mod being Sean O’Neil. It was great as the original contributors really knew their TT stuff and I learned a lot. People like Larry Hodges, Sean, Coach Mcafee and a few members from China and East Europe. But it was very USA-centric and still is. Their non-TT threads can also be very interesting. A classic was in the hours after 9/11 someone asked why they could not have shot down the aircraft before the hit. Another poster, a former fighter pilot who used to fly that area, explained that there would not have been enough time for the permissions. It would be days before the media realised the same.

MYTT was very Canadian-centric when it started. In fact I was an early member and I notice that I never contributed for the first few years. (Ignore the 2009 in my info. I lost my original password and re-applied). Today MYTT has morphed into a very good site biased towards youth opinions but very international. I’d love to see MYTT get into more non-TT related topics as it would be good to hear politics etc from a younger international perspective.

So what if the threads focus a lot on equipment. That’s because

1 Most of us don’t really train as such. We much prefer to sort out our strokes in friendly matches rather than pay for coaching sessions, assuming it’s available.

2 Judging by all the physicists/engineers on here, members simply love the equipment threads. And I now know the meaning of “ the coefficient of restitution would be constant over the range of all impact speeds.

Each forum has it’s own culture.

About.com is very USA oriented

MYTT is very youthful and international and perhaps the most active and popular

OOAK is funny rubber biased

Table Tennis Talk is very English and veteran oriented

Table Tennis Daily is new and has attracted several pro and semi-pro players as members

These days, I look at MYTT first as there’s always something new.

Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 4:02pm
I remember RSTT. Those were the good old day and the bad old day all roll into one. Just like Tinkin_2 said it was great until some troll(s) ruined it for everyone.

I read About TT for US TT news and some off topic discussions and MYTT posting for more international and Chinese TT news. Only recently I started posting some on both forums just to put in my 2 cents for the fun of it.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 1:38am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I don't disagree with you there Jay... But now that I have a kid, who despite the fact he's only 15 months old, I already know how difficult it is to educate one in this era of self-entitlement.  He already has a true mind of his own, and won't do 99% of the things I asked.  So I know exactly how I will feel if my son is getting a public flogging in a world-wide forum like About.com for his behavior.  My point is you really don't know if it was purely his parents' or coach's fault... Singling such young kid out with name and all, and ridicule them publicly is beyond appropriate.  Such posts should have been deleted immediately by mods, but they did not want to do anything until the whole world had the chance to throw in their 2-cents worth on "this kid's behavior" many weeks later.  I have a major issue with that, and because of it I will never advise any of my friends to join that forum.  As a TD myself at LATTA who deals with many 1st. generation Asian immigrant parents paying through their nose to train their kids in table tennis and also academically, I now not only see their pressure through their facial expressions when they drop off and pick up their kids, I can actually feel their pain.

I don't disagree with the removing the name of the kid idea.  In fact, in the latest thread of that type I think a few people did specifically request that be done.  I don't recall if it was, but I think it is a good idea.  I understand that parents have limited control over what their kids do.  But when a kid is out of control you simply remove the kid - take him out of the tournament and go home.  So I don't buy much into the notion that most of these situations are really out of the control of the parent.  Also, I've seen enough parents out of control at baseball games in the past to understand that the root of kid's behavior problems is all too often with the parenting.

But each case is unique and in the end, it is up to tournament directors, tournament referees, and tournament players to make sure that these things are dealt with and done so at the tournament.  It probably doesn't belong on forums.  And in the most recent case on about.com, if I were the parent, I'd have asked that the video showing my kid be removed from being online so as to make it more difficult for anyone to make an issue of my kid's behavior.  I have lot of online videos posted and my personal policy is to remove any video if someone in the video requests it.  Or at the least to remove the portion that they are in.  And if I had a kid and he or she played table tennis, I'd be advising my kid to come up with something different than "cho" to yell - something that has a clear meaning and that is unlikely to be interpreted by an opponent as meaning effectively "in your face!"

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 1:44am
Jay - sorry - I fixed that misquote in my original post! I had lost Beeray's name when quoting both his and your comments!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 2:14am
But when a kid is out of control you simply remove the kid - take him out of the tournament and go home.  So I don't buy much into the notion that most of these situations are really out of the control of the parent. 

I think you are over-simplifying the task of parenting, Jay... I know from many parents with table tennis kids if you do exactly that (removing the kid/s from the premises and go home, or scold them loudly in front of others), you will lose control of your kids perhaps forever.  They will retaliate like you won't believe.  Many kids today simply don't have the respect of authority like in the past, and as a parent nowadays you are always risking losing their respect irreparably... It's a bad advice, I am sorry to say...

Edited by roundrobin - 10/30/2011 at 2:18am
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 2:28am

But when a kid is out of control you simply remove the kid - take him out of the tournament and go home.  So I don't buy much into the notion that most of these situations are really out of the control of the parent. 

I think you are over-simplifying the task of parenting, Jay... I know from many parents with table tennis kids if you do exactly that (removing the kid/s from the premises and go home, or scold them loudly in front of others), you will lose control of your kids perhaps forever.  They will retaliate like you won't believe.  Many kids today simply don't have the respect of authority like in the past, and as a parent nowadays you are always risking losing their respect irreparably... It's a bad advice, I am sorry to say...

I think parents lose control because they have all too often ceded control (with the schools and certain laws aiding the process).  When a kid discovers that he can manipulate his parents, that's when he loses respect and parents lose control.  A kid will not respect a parent that bends to his will. Kids and parents have the same genetics that kids and parents had fifty years ago.  The circumstances have changed a fair bit and that may complicate things and make life more difficult, but people are still people.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to oversimplify the admittedly complex job (better to say, "art") of parenting.  But the bottom line is that it IS the parent's job to teach a kid how to behave and to create boundaries.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 2:43am
You can always create respect by iron fist - no matter what they say about liberal parenting. Man is a social animal in the end.

Edited by Imago - 10/30/2011 at 3:12am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 3:09am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I think parents lose control because they have all too often ceded control (with the schools and certain laws aiding the process).  When a kid discovers that he can manipulate his parents, that's when he loses respect and parents lose control.  A kid will not respect a parent that bends to his will. Kids and parents have the same genetics that kids and parents had fifty years ago.  The circumstances have changed a fair bit and that may complicate things and make life more difficult, but people are still people.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to oversimplify the admittedly complex job (better to say, "art") of parenting.  But the bottom line is that it IS the parent's job to teach a kid how to behave and to create boundaries.

It's a two-way street, from all that I've seen so far from immigrant Asian parents in SoCal in the past few years... The more you demand from your kids, the more they demand back from you, whether it's about table tennis, school work, learning Mandarin language, or extra arts skills like piano, cello or violin (or most of the above).  Such kids know their "worth" and will push back as far as they can, in anyway possible... All I can say is parents with high-level table tennis kids really have to tread very carefully. 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

You an always create respect by iron fist - no matter what they say about liberal parenting. Man is a social animal in the end.

Well, there are some personalities where that may not work so easily.  And there are kids that simply may not be controllable through normal good parenting.   And maybe that was what RoundRobin was driving at. 

But most kids are not so strong-willed that basic boundary drawing won't work.  With the small number of very strong-willed kids, you need to be more artful in how you approach the making of boundaries. You may even need professional assistance in figuring out how to deal with certain kids. But again, that's not typical.

Part of the problem, IMO, was shown in RoundRobin's previous post where he mentioned parents dropping off and picking up their kids.  All too often, that's the problem.  The parent is more chauffeur than parent.  Yeah, I know.  Parenting is a tough and often thankless job.  But it's a job that the parent chose.  The families I know well where the kids are well behaved kids have parents who are almost uniformly (or maybe uniformly) intimately involved in their kids activities, not just dropping the kids off, but watching their games, involved with the teams, visiting the school and talking with teachers, sometimes assisting in the coaching and other organizational activities and so forth.  It's a ton of work.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

You an always create respect by iron fist - no matter what they say about liberal parenting. Man is a social animal in the end.

I know a few dads who did exactly that in the U.S... Their kids ran away as far as they could once they turned 18, and never wanted to contact their parents again.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 3:14am
Their dads were probably too rude. On the other hand, running away is better than fostering a 36-year old child.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 3:24am
Part of the problem, IMO, was shown in RoundRobin's previous post where he mentioned parents dropping off and picking up their kids.  All too often, that's the problem. 

Not every parents are willing to sit around while their kids have a group and then individual lesson for up to 4 hours. 
The higher level ones usually also stay around to play each other in a informal round robin.

Edited by roundrobin - 10/30/2011 at 3:25am
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2011 at 5:40pm

Part of the problem, IMO, was shown in RoundRobin's previous post where he mentioned parents dropping off and picking up their kids.  All too often, that's the problem. 

Not every parents are willing to sit around while their kids have a group and then individual lesson for up to 4 hours. 
The higher level ones usually also stay around to play each other in a informal round robin.

Yes.  Not all parents are willing to do what they should do.  And I don't think that staying for a full four hours is necessarily what a parent should do.  There is a middle ground between that and just dropping the kid off.   And for me ends this tangent about parenting and kids. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2011 at 6:44pm
I can't bother to read through that thread again but I remember saying something like " I saw nothing unusual about that kid's behaviour". Kids of all races have always been noisy at tournaments. But as it went on I realised that many USA players know very little about kids at tournaments. Thus the unbelievably silly comments from the original plus other posters. I've been to big cadet tournaments in France where the noise of the players and spectators( with horns and rattlers) was just unbelievable.
That's why the veterans scene is so big in Europe. So miserable old vets don't have to mix with loud kids. But if you think the kids are bad, wait till you see the vets in action. 
Roundrobin, I saw some of the comments re Asian kids and parents on that thread. They were...well..ignorant.
Greg was late in intervening and he has learnt his lesson.

Edited by Tinykin_2 - 10/31/2011 at 6:46pm
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2011 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

I've been to big cadet tournaments in France where the noise of the players and spectators( with horns and rattlers) was just unbelievable.

One of the points that I think came out in that thread was that the nature of the noise can matter quite a lot  For instance, a loud conversation adjacent to my table is much more distracting to me than rock music, flashing lights and drunk patrons at a bar.  A loud shout 15 feet away from some kid or vet as I'm beginning to make a shot is more distracting than a few hundred or thousand fans with horns and rattlers.

In the U.S. we simply don't have the player density to separate kids from adults very often.  But I agree that there are clear benefits in doing so and that different standards of behavior can reasonably develop for each.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2011 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

One of the points that I think came out in that thread was that the nature of the noise can matter quite a lot  For instance, a loud conversation adjacent to my table is much more distracting to me than rock music, flashing lights and drunk patrons at a bar.  A loud shout 15 feet away from some kid or vet as I'm beginning to make a shot is more distracting than a few hundred or thousand fans with horns and rattlers.

In the U.S. we simply don't have the player density to separate kids from adults very often.  But I agree that there are clear benefits in doing so and that different standards of behavior can reasonably develop for each.

+ 1 million.  I wish my concentration wasn't so fragile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic