Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - continued discussion: carbon vs ALL blade advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

continued discussion: carbon vs ALL blade advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 7:48am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Imago show me this protec blade you spec of

Here you are

Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2012 at 6:04am
bumping this thread back up as I continue on this journey...

I passed the Xiom V1 on to a friend who's loving it (and now beating me with it Angry... Wink)

More and more I'm seeing the light regarding slower setups. I really like the Burn OFF- and ALL+, and I also decided to hang onto this most recent W-6 I tested.

My most recent love though, is for this BBC 9-10-9... which kind of falls in the middle of the spectrum being discussed in this thread.

Xiom V1 was a great blade though... Cry

Edited by the_theologian - 03/06/2012 at 6:04am
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
LoveNSXs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoveNSXs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 3:57am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

I passed the Xiom V1 on to a friend who's loving it (and now beating me with it Angry... Wink)

Bahaha. Yes.. yes I have.  the Xiom V1 is certainly my favorite weapon right now.  =D

It is a very fast blade relative to my other options (Donic Burn Off- , All+) and the hits are very rewarding. 

Edited by LoveNSXs - 03/16/2012 at 3:59am
XIOM V1 - TG3NEO / SHARK II
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2012 at 9:51am
friends, we call all rest easy. i have found the best blade in both categories Cool

(sure, there are a thousand blades I haven't tried, but these two have impressed me to the point that I have no need to EJ anymore.... now's your chance debraj Wink)

I sincerely hope that more members read this thread and mull it over. I have benefitted greatly from going to slower and more flexible blades (I just had to get over my bias and assumption that they would all have annoying vibrations/feedback)

BBC 9-10-9 and OSP Expert... I win! (the EJ game, that is)
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2012 at 4:57pm
Bumping this thread up as I feel this is a very useful thread.
One of the best ever.

Edited by ZApenholder - 07/06/2012 at 10:40am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2012 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Bumbing this thread up as I feel this is a very useful thread.
One of the best ever.

I agree and I hope more people read it. bluebucket and others really brought me to the light on this issue.

friends, we call all rest easy. i have found the best blade in both categories Cool
BBC 9-10-9 and OSP Expert...

hey looky there... 4 months later and I still feel the same Big smile
not changing feelings about blades over the course of 4 months might put me in a minority on this forum Wink
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2012 at 10:21pm
I have not changed in a while from my Yasaka Extra and I have certainly improved.  I think one point to also note is to find a blade that you like and stick with it.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

thettnovice View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thettnovice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2012 at 11:35pm
Sometimes it is hard for someone to keep the same bat for years because the setup may become boring for them and the urge to EJ becomes stronger. 
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 9:33am
I thought I might add my 2 cents to this thread... I have no idea about my ratings but I started playing about 3 1/2 years ago. I did the usual idiot thing a went through a few blades and rubbers quickly progressing from fast to stupid fast to warp 10. I made it out of d-grade but got hammered in c-grade so I gave it up (other influencesas well though). A little over a year ago now a mate got interested in TT so I got back into it. We joined a team comp c-grade level and got hammered a fair bit. I was determined to improve my game so I started to research and learn how to play properly. I soon started to realise that brushing consistently with fast gear was difficult so I switch to ALL gear and started to improve rapidly. By the end of that comp (3 months) I was winning 50% of games. My mate gave up but I continued. During the x-mas break I improved further and was losing only to the top ranked players in this grade. I just finished my final round of the c-grade comp and went 45wins to 3 loses. My team also won the comp outright. My winning power in this grade is basically a function of how consistenly I can produce quality brush loops from either wing. By using ALL rated gear I was able to focus on good clean strokes with less worry about the ball flying off the far end of the table. For reference the same blade was still easily fast enough to hit untouchable winners against high balls.

Also as my game has been relativley consistent I have spent a little bit of EJing with the future in mind. I have tried faster blades and rubbers. A real eye opener the other day was when I tried a Donic Carbotox with and identical setup on my second Aratox. The Carbotox did offer a improvement in speed though surprisingly not much difference till you really started to wind up, but definatley quicker. What blew me away was the spin of the Carbotox, or should I say lack of it. With identical rubbers (brought and delivered at the same time and glued onat the same time) the Carbotox gave only about 50% of the spin of the Aratox. Smashes, loop drives and brush loops where all more like "dead balls" compared to the Aratox. I had a hit against a pips out user and he had little difficulty returning balls off the Carbotox, but balls frombthe Aratox floated out off the table with much more backspin. I never thought such a difference could exsists between similar blades. Now I have a Burn ALL+ (AKA superious-top-e-s-spin-e-s) which is just crazy for looping and an OSP expert in the making. For my its 5ply wood for life!
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 9:44am

One of the best ever.

I think you meant 'bumping'. 'Bumbing' means something quite Embarrassed.

Edited by Tinykin - 07/06/2012 at 9:45am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

One of the best ever.

I think you meant 'bumping'. 'Bumbing' means something quite Embarrassed.

lol
Thanks, corrected it
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

I thought I might add my 2 cents to this thread...

great addition to the thread GoldenDragoon

let us know how you like the Expert

the burn ALL+ is indeed a good blade... i think it's $32 at tabletennis11.com right now

Edited by the_theologian - 07/06/2012 at 10:22pm
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 10:03pm
I got mine from my usual store here.....

http://tabletennisequipment.dandoy-sports.com/en/product_info.php?pName=donic-burn-all&cName=blades

Another blade that interested my was the Andro version of the same type. I am a little skeptical though as the Andro site describes the blades feeling as "hard". Nexy has some very intersting stuff too but no anatomic handles which is a huge turn off to me.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 4:13pm
... bringing the thread back up

from this former carbon only user, i wanted to say I've found yet another fantastic all wood blade. donic defplay senso

who knew

at this point i own about 28 blades, only two are carbon blades... and if they weren't so good and so special (bbc 9-10-9's) i would let them go
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 6:13pm

Edited by the_theologian - 02/05/2014 at 2:34pm
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 3:48am
small addition to topic: story says that Zoran Kalinic, ex world champion in doubles, for whole career have used blade from 3$ premade bat.

About my experience, as average amateur player, I can say it's much easier to play with slower setup, and softer rubbers. This is why I dont play with few fancy btty carbon blades, although I have them.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 2:13pm
(editing my inventory again on 2/23/2023)

at the moment I have nine composite blades:
4 Xiom Hayabusa Zi ST
2 Donic WSC JO Shape ST
1 Donic True Carbon Inner ST
1 Dawei Wavestone ST
1 Air Wavestone FL

and eight all wood blades:
3 BBC All Around ST
1 Hock 3 ply ST 89 grams 
1 Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive cpen 
1 Dawei R2 ST
1 Dawei Matrix ST
1 Donic Appelgren Allplay ST

Edited by the_theologian - 02/24/2023 at 12:41am
Ciprian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciprian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 2:25pm
So ,what have you done with Defplay Senso? I've played with it  and I also think it's a good quality blade but I couldn't accommodate with it.
Xi Enting
FH-Aurus Sound
BH- Pryde 30
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Ciprian Ciprian wrote:

So ,what have you done with Defplay Senso? I've played with it  and I also think it's a good quality blade but I couldn't accommodate with it.

Had 2 or 3 of them... passed them on. I think highly of the blade but have moved away from oversized head / flexible blades
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:03pm

... bringing the thread back up

from this former carbon only user, i wanted to say I've found yet another fantastic all wood blade. donic defplay senso

who knew

at this point i own about 28 blades, only two are carbon blades... and if they weren't so good and so special (bbc 9-10-9's) i would let them go

kicking this back up for my own amusement and since there's a lot of blade control discussions going on

interesting to look back and see I was 26 to 2 (wood vs carbon). 

at the moment I have 10 composite blades:
7 WSC JO's
2 Maze
1 IF ZLC
1 IF AL

among the all wood blades:
2 Infinity VPS V's
2 Korbels
1 Virtuoso
1 Victas Koji Matsushita DEF (hardbat)
1 MEO cpen
1 HRT ebV cpen

and a bunch of old premades from an antique shop

Can you rank these in control order please? You know, with the most controls at the top and the least controls at the bottom? Please use controlinos as your units, and show your working.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:05pm
HAHAHA... 
SadistiClown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 12:51am
(editing my inventory again on 07/17/2014)

at the moment I have seven composite blades:
4 WSC JO's
2 IF ZLC
1 BBC Carboflex

and six all wood blades:
1 Appelgren Allplay
1 Three ply Hock
1 MEO cpen
1 Korbel (for sale)
1 Victas Koji Matsushita (for sale)
1 HRT ebV cpen (for sale)

and a bunch of old premades from an antique shop

i know for a fact that you don't own an appelgren allplay.

Edited by SadistiClown - 07/30/2014 at 12:52am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 1:59am
Originally posted by SadistiClown SadistiClown wrote:

i know for a fact that you don't own an appelgren allplay.

You're right. ..A friend just had to have it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic