Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blade Review: BBC All Around (Bl Walnut outer ply)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade Review: BBC All Around (Bl Walnut outer ply)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade Review: BBC All Around (Bl Walnut outer ply)
    Posted: 11/26/2011 at 4:46pm
I received this beauty from Charlie yesterday. As soon as I opened it I thought, "man, that is a handsome blade!" This is a five ply blade, with the outer ply being Black Walnut*. It weighed 83.6 g on my scale. I paired it up with 2 new sheets of IQUL SV 1.8mm. After recently trying a Stiga Allround Classic WRB and hating the feeling (hollow vibration feedback), I was a little nervous that I would have the same feelings about this blade.... but that was not the case here. Yes, I could feel the flex and a small amount of vibration, but it wasn't distracting (bear in mind that I'm used to fast, ultra stiff blades like the Zetro Quad, GTS, Genote C, and Wavestone). This vibration felt like quality feedback, unlike some blades that make me think I'm hitting the ball with the leftover tube from a paper towel roll. Although this was a significantly slower setup than my current Xiom favorite, when I snapped a backhand drive it had PLENTY of speed.

For anyone looking for a blade in this speed class but not wanting a hollow feeling and excessive vibration, I very much recommend this blade... and for only $35?!

Enjoy the pictures.

*Charlie informed me that his website is somewhat out of date. It still shows the All Around model as being 5 plies of Cherry. But now it comes in different woods. I got a second All Around from him, with an outer ply of Obeche/Ayous.

Edited by the_theologian - 11/26/2011 at 5:14pm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2011 at 6:18pm
Hows the handle go?, it looks a little bit unconventional in shape. Definitely a blade I'd put on my list to buy though if I could get a clone of that one with the Walnut
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2011 at 6:37pm

do you mean that Charlie lets you choose the wood for the outer ply or that he decides depending on what he has on stock?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Hows the handle go?, it looks a little bit unconventional in shape. Definitely a blade I'd put on my list to buy though if I could get a clone of that one with the Walnut

The handle felt like normal width and length, but thicker than I was used too. Not so much that I couldn't adapt, but noticeably thicker.

Of course, he has a lot of handle options. I considered trying the "scoops" feature.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2011 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

do you mean that Charlie lets you choose the wood for the outer ply or that he decides depending on what he has on stock?

Good question. I'm not sure if you can request a certain wood or how much your choice is subject to availability. He's very quick with email replies. I'd shoot him an email about that.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2011 at 8:59am
I wonder if Charlie is filling a gap left by OSP - the "slowest" standard blade in OSP's like is really OFF- (the Expert) and it's catapult at mid distance equals the power of OFF blades...

If it's truly an ALL/ALL+ blade, this would be the first blade that's tempted me in the last year.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2011 at 4:35pm
just made a thread on the obeche/ayous version: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46033&PID=571602#571602
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 3:52am
coming soon:

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 4:02am
That looks like a more sensible handle :!:D
magister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 7:41am
BBC blades are quality.  Someone at my club was trying them out.  I have been tempted by this for awhile.  But I am sticking with my bomb, trying not to be an ej.  And then you guys post pictures of this.  Sheesh.

Edited by magister - 12/02/2011 at 7:45am
Butterfly Primorac

FH: Cases Inspirit

BH: Sriver EL 1.9
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 8:16am
Originally posted by magister magister wrote:

BBC blades are quality.  Someone at my club was trying them out.  I have been tempted by this for awhile.  But I am sticking with my bomb, trying not to be an ej.  And then you guys post pictures of this.  Sheesh.

I had a bomb for a little while with some $5 sheets of 729 RITC on it from TTNPP. You know, it wasn't bad. But, a 729 Bomb and a BBC All Around are definitely far from each other in craftsmanship (I was really surprised how rough the Bomb was) and in my opinion, also far from each other in performance.

This blade is $35... I don't think you'd be getting too carried away with that Wink
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 8:51am
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 8:53am
Blade looks awesome. Natural look very similar to OSP blades. I need more info how does it play with Tenergys, Rakzas, acudas......

FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 9:01am
the_theologian, Next time you are talking to Charlie can you ask him if he has an OSP FL blade there on hand (I'd assume he does?) can he replicate that hand more or less? this one above actually looks close enough. I'll order one of those in a couple of days I think Barnie and compare it to the Expert, I wouldn't expect it to be the same but it looks really nice and I I think would feel special in it's own unique way
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by barnie barnie wrote:

Blade looks awesome. Natural look very similar to OSP blades. I need more info how does it play with Tenergys, Rakzas, acudas......

so far I've only tried the walnut version with IQUL, and the obeche version with 2008xp. I was very pleased with both of those setups.

but in the future I intend to also try the walnut version with TG3 neo, Shark II, and I might rotate my Vega Pro and Vega Europe to it.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 9:14am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

the_theologian, Next time you are talking to Charlie can you ask him if he has an OSP FL blade there on hand (I'd assume he does?) can he replicate that hand more or less? this one above actually looks close enough. I'll order one of those in a couple of days I think Barnie and compare it to the Expert, I wouldn't expect it to be the same but it looks really nice and I I think would feel special in it's own unique way

I forwarded your question along Smile
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 1:51pm
I thought the All Around only available in junior size.  If not then it would be a very good blade to try out at $35.  If I can order it at regular size then I may order one soon :).
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I thought the All Around only available in junior size.  If not then it would be a very good blade to try out at $35.  If I can order it at regular size then I may order one soon :).

Yeah, I think I wondered the same thing after a cursory glance because Charlie recommends it in that size for kiddos. But, it's available in all shapes/sizes I believe. I've ordered the most recent one in Attack I shape.
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I think BBC offers many different options with every model blade. I have an BBC All Around Oversize with a straight handle. it's a sweet blade. If I wasn't really liking and improving with what I'm using I would give it a serious shot as my first blade. Excellent craftmanship for $35. I wonder how he makes money on them.
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

so far I've only tried the walnut version with IQUL, and the obeche version with 2008xp. I was very pleased with both of those setups.

but in the future I intend to also try the walnut version with TG3 neo, Shark II, and I might rotate my Vega Pro and Vega Europe to it.

Thanks, that would be great. 
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2011 at 4:03pm

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Thanks, that would be great. 

I received my 2nd Walnut version today. I really like the customized handle. It weighs 85.6 grams; and it's the Attack I shape.

I transferred my TG3neo and SharkII to it. I had no trouble with TG3neo on the forehand. On a hard loop drive I could feel some flex in the blade and I was landing nearly everything. On my high toss pendulum serves I was getting more sidespin than normal and getting fantastic results.

I found that the soft version of Shark II didn't pair well... or at least it didn't seem to during this first session. I was landing most of my backhand flips and had plenty of power on over the table smashes, but in general it felt a little too mushy and "airy" (if that makes sense). I think the medium hardness version of Shark II would be better for this blade. (the soft version of Shark II feels perfect on my Zetro Quad)

Next I'll either try some sheets of 2008xp or maybe put the Vegas on it.

I look forward to more time with this BBC. I don't think you can get a nicer, more handsome blade for $35.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic