Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

defense with medium pips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: defense with medium pips?
    Posted: 12/06/2011 at 6:40pm
I use medium pips (this rubber is most similar to short pips than long pips).

When the opposite player do a top spin, what is better with medium pips.
Chop or block?

I have doubts!

thanks!
Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

Chop or block?

I have doubts!

thanks!

roll it back like an inverted stroke to him, it'll have sink! ( I use soft 1.8mm)

Edited by jt99sf - 12/06/2011 at 6:56pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 6:49pm
Much depends on you. You just have to try it to see what works. Much depends on your ability to move.    Blocking doesn't require the foot work that chopping does.

I have played with 563 1.5mm. I hit, block or chop/block because I can't chop well and my blocking has saved me a many games.   Sometimes I manage to get my paddle in the way of the ball and it goes back without me having to think about it.   That doesn't happen when I chop. I must only chop the right balls when I am in the right position. Chopping requires a lot of thinking and anticipating.

Edited by pnachtwey - 12/06/2011 at 9:44pm
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 11:18pm
Ideally you want to change it up - if you always chop or block back, then they know what's on it.  Do 1-2 chops then throw in a dead ball block or vice versa.  The object of defense is to make them screw up and varying the spin is one of the best ways to do so.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 12:39am
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

Chop or block?

I have doubts!

thanks!

With SP and MP, blocking, flat hitting, countering, are usually easier to execute for the vast majority of players.  It mainly depends on what you are good at doing, fitness, quickness, footwork.  It is very hard to be a good chopper with any equipment, and it is definitely easier with LP.  That is why the vast majority of choppers use it.  

My own bias is that most MP sacrifice the advantages of either SP or LP without providing much of the advantages of either one.  
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 4:52am
Medium pips are intended for all-round and offensive kind of play close to table (blocking and hitting), I didn't find any MPs that can be really good for chopping. Sure enough, with good touch it's not a problem to chop with anything, but if you plan to play in tournaments, you should choose equipment you feel comfortable with and not struggling with.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic