Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Galaxy Mars II (v.2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

thx JimT,
will try the Mar2 after my PME turns dead. It is interesting. There has pro version for sun and Moon, but Mars has no pro version.

They simply called it Mars II...

BTW, I got the Red Mars 41 MAX from TTXOnline - thanks, guys! so I will be playing with it in a couple of days and will update the review some more.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2012 at 12:42am
Jim,

The packaging that appears on the YinHe site for Mars II and Mars is different from the packaging on TTXOnline. As far as I can tell from the YinHe site, there is only Mars II (No. 9024) with MaxTense and Mars (No. 9014) no MaxTense and as far as I can tell no V.2. The YinHe site also seems to be unattended. The last news releases were in mid 2010. It doesn't appear to have been updated in over a year and a half. But it is hard to tell for sure. Also, the ITTF PDF document only lists one product for Mars. No versions or II. 

Any insights?

Edited by richrf - 01/03/2012 at 1:30am
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2012 at 9:39am
Just had a full session with Mars 41 Red.

First of all I must say I played like... piece of something... or worse. So I cannot really say yet how this one plays for me. Also, it needs a few hours of good hitting to settle down on the blade anyway.

But - two things

a) it certainly feels a little softer than black Mars-41. I will know for sure once I get some numbers from my friend with a durometer

b) my clubmate who happens to be a certified USATT umpire, got interested and measured both my Mars 2.3 rubber with that special plastic ruler to check the thickness (must be no more than 4.00 mm). Both of them failed (by a fraction of millimeter but failed) - I had him check my other blades/rubbers that I had with me (Palio Blitz 2.2, Palio Macro Era 2.25, Palio Thors MAX, LKT Rapid Speed 2.2) and they all passed. This worries me a bit. Galaxy should fix this immediately, I think.

And right away I should say - I used rubber glue (Elmer's Cement) but a regular  thin layer. The manufacturer must take the layer of glue (at least one!) into account when they figure out what is the MAX possible thickness they make.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 11:30am
After two more sessions I took Mars 41 Red off the Ultima - still not enough oomph in blocks close and away from the table, as well as in power counterlooping etc. But that's just me. I put it on Galaxy T-8 and will try it soon... perhaps it will have to wait until after Westchester Open on January 22.

Went back to Mars-41 Black right after that (within one minute) - it is certainly feels a bit harder and consequently faster.

One thing that bothers me, however, is that it plays worse than PME against high spinny opening loops. Its high grippiness works against it - it is hard for me to accurately counterloop such strokes. Solution is to get close to the table and flat-kill the sucker but often I am caught off balance or simply my legs are tired etc. It still works really good when counterlooping lower power loops, very consistent and reliable, a bit better than PME with a slightly adjusted technique.

Also it is definitely better than PME in doing spinny chops, sidespin pendulum-type passive-aggressive strokes like the ones that Patrick Chila does here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHadcPYYo3A

at time markers 0.10 and 0.44.

Always compromises... Cry

I hope that some of our ace-testers will get it and add their review for this rubber - it deserves it, and it's not expensive at all. If you are playing with T-05, try Black 41, if with medium-hard eurotensors, try Red 41 or Black 39, if with soft tensors - Red 39 or softer. Or smth like that...

vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 4:21pm
I normally play with T05 or H3 on M.Maze's or TBS's FH and I must say that neither 37, nor 39 or 41 degree black Mars at 2.2 was close to T05 in terms of counter looping.

Аlso looping against heavy under-spins was very poor. Another handicap is the is the return on short serves. I guess all these can be contributed to the substantially lower throw of Mars 2. 

I suppose this rubber will perform better on more flexible blades. That's just my 2 cents from 3-4 hours of play.

And last but not least, excellent review Jim.

PS. I have a spare Galaxy T-7, I might give the 39 and 41 degree ones another try tomorrow just for kicks.

Edited by vvu.tee - 01/05/2012 at 4:33pm
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by vvu.tee vvu.tee wrote:

Аlso looping against heavy under-spins was very poor. Another handicap is the is the return on short serves. I guess all these can be contributed to the substantially lower throw of Mars 2. 

I suppose this rubber will perform better on more flexible blades. That's just my 2 cents from 3-4 hours of play.

My Ultima is very non-flexible (8 mm thickness) and to do a loop against heavy underspin you just need to readjust the angle of the attack. naturally if you are used to playing with higher-throw rubbers on relatively flexy blades then you will need to do some serious adjustment - it was easier for me as I always played with harder-sponged rubbers on non-flexy (but soft!) blades

Return of short spinny serves simply requires that you do not do a simple push - add your own sidespin or underspin. Flick is indeed rather difficult, unless you are fast and managed to meet the ball on the top of the curve with just the exactly right angle of the blade.

Counterlooping imho is better than with Tenergy - but only for me, I guess - simply because Mars is way less sensitive to the incoming spin. However, if you are a fast powerful looper with very good technique, then yes Tenergy will most likely work better for you in that element of the game. But that's not me - I am too old to be fast enough to not only defeat the other guy's spin but also pit my own on it using Tenergy. Tried it, didn't work well for me.

Played another session with Black Mars 41, and the feeling is returning back. Wasn't playing as badly as on Tuesday.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 2:16am
Mix up baby oil with cedar or cypress oil and treat the topsheet several times to get better bounce and higher throw.
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 3:12am

Jim, you are probably right about the adjustment of the technique. However, I was referring to attacking the short serve, not just returning it. 

And regardless of the technique, it is more difficult to lift/loop spinny returns. My impression is that Mars II is more sensitive to spin, at least for me. 

Counter-looping also, I am a high-level non-pro player and I have a fast-paced looping game and Ts work better at negating and/or recycling opposing spin, and controlling the ball on ALC blades.

Again, this is my limited experience. Practice and patience may change them, but my initial thoughts are that it will not improve and will rather decrease my competitiveness if I switch to Mars II from T05.  

Pricewise, yes, Mars II is a bargain. I hope it does not have any consistency issues like fluctuating weight and thickness/hardness, like some of the other Chinese rubbers.
I'll try it on a Galaxy blade tonight
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 5:21am
Sorry for the self-referenciality

We don't have consistency issues through the whole batch of 200 rubbers - 1.8 are 1.8, 2.0 are 2.0, 2.3 are 2.3, sponge hardness corresponds to its face value.

Taking into account the red shift down the scale...

Edited by Imago - 01/06/2012 at 5:22am
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 9:39am
Wow, Imago, are you speaking for YinHe as thier representative? 

I was not referring to your rubbers, 200 is relatively small sample; although I got reports you when I was in Sofia that there were some issues with thickness.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 10:34am
I am neither representative, nor dealer of Yinhe. Only buy rubbers for our club as we need them.

There are issues with the Mercury 2 - their "2.0" thickness varies from 1.7 to 2.2.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 11:12am
I am more concerned with the fact that Mars II 2.3 fails thickness check...

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

I am neither representative, nor dealer of Yinhe. Only buy rubbers for our club as we need them.

There are issues with the Mercury 2 - their "2.0" thickness varies from 1.7 to 2.2.

haha, it is like the old bty D-13 rubber, sponge thickness: 1.7~2.2mm
Just order couple mars2 (max) from china, hope it is ok(cross my fingers)
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2012 at 10:29pm

What hardness did you order, and at what store?

thanks

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 1:20am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

What hardness did you order, and at what store?

thanks

hehe, it is 36degree. I get it from a forum. My coach must hate me when I use it. He is anti-chinese rubber LOL
I think it is better to compare it with TinArc 3, instead of Tenergy.
Did u let it sat 24hrs before you apply the first layer of glue?

Edited by Egghead - 01/07/2012 at 1:21am
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 10:53am

What hardness did you order, and at what store?thanks
hehe, it is 36degree. I get it from a forum. My coach must hate me when I use it. He is anti-chinese rubber LOLI think it is better to compare it with TinArc 3, instead of Tenergy.Did u let it sat 24hrs before you apply the first layer of glue?

No. Glued them on right after I opened the envelope.

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 11:12am

hehe, it is 36degree. I get it from a forum. My coach must hate me when I use it. He is anti-chinese rubber LOL
I think it is better to compare it with TinArc 3, instead of Tenergy.
Did u let it sat 24hrs before you apply the first layer of glue?

Hi there,

Have you played with Mars II yet? If I can ask, why do you recommend letting it sit for 24 hrs? Does this apply to all rubbers or just certain ones that you believe have been boosted?

Also, when you get your sheets can you tell me what is on the packaging that identifies it at v.2. I have seen all kinds of packaging on images on the web, and I am really confused about how someone can tell what is real and what isn't. Thanks.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 12:25pm
Package for Mars II must have a hardness sticker on it; it could say both 9014 and 9024 but the newer ones have 9024 code. Also - regular Mars has been discontinued for more than a year (or two).

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 1:13pm

Package for Mars II must have a hardness sticker on it; it could say both 9014 and 9024 but the newer ones have 9024 code. Also - regular Mars has been discontinued for more than a year (or two).

Thanks Jim. This is the differences in package that I was alluding to:

From ttxonline.com

From ttnpp.com

Both are suppose to be for V.2. But one is for 9014 and the other 9024.  But labeling is different for the words Maxtense and other aspects such as hardness. 

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 4:28pm

hehe, it is 36degree. I get it from a forum. My coach must hate me when I use it. He is anti-chinese rubber LOLI think it is better to compare it with TinArc 3, instead of Tenergy.Did u let it sat 24hrs before you apply the first layer of glue?

It said it right here, u shall let it sits for 24 hrs Wink

LED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 4:47pm
http://www.ttxonline.com/p-296-galaxymilkyway-mars-v2.aspx this seems to be the old Mars' picture

Edited by LED - 01/07/2012 at 4:48pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 9:27pm

It said it right here, u shall let it sits for 24 hrs Wink

Well, they didn't deem it important enough to write that stuff in English...

It was always amazing to me how such a large company as Yin-He doesn't think it is important to spend a few hundred bucks to hire for a couple of days a guy with decent English to proof-read and fix the promotional texts they have on their envelopes.

I mean, Palio did that and they have pretty decent texts on their packages. Yin-He has masterpieces like this one:

MAX TENSE means "deep-strain". It is R&D by YINHE company especially for the Post-internal-energy era without power glue. MAX TENSE use the high energy ‘Arbalest Sponge’ match with high-performance rubber reasonably and dealing with a series of appropriate chemical processes assures that MAX TENSE technology could completely surpass the Ex-common stretchen. MAX TENSE technology creates a myth that makes YINHE to be a new force suddenly rises. It will lead the trend of the Post-internal-energy era.

and this is not even the worst example...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2012 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by LED LED wrote:

http://www.ttxonline.com/p-296-galaxymilkyway-mars-v2.aspx this seems to be the old Mars' picture

You can see that envelope is marked 9014. TTXOnline explained to me that Yin-He is using both versions of packaging for Mars II, so don't be concerned about that. Unless sponge on your Mars is yellowish instead of red...

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2012 at 2:29pm

Originally posted by LED LED wrote:

You can see that envelope is marked 9014. TTXOnline explained to me that Yin-He is using both versions of packaging for Mars II, so don't be concerned about that. Unless sponge on your Mars is yellowish instead of red...

by the description at the side, it seems that 9014 package comes with a free rubber protection sheet.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2012 at 2:41pm
The confusion I am having is that the YinHe official site they do not have anything about Maxtense on 9014

Maxtense only appears on the 9024

Notice the different placements of the Product number, the hardness labeling, the prominent display of Maxtense vs. 9014. 

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

The confusion I am having is that the YinHe official site they do not have anything about Maxtense on 9014

Notice the different placements of the Product number, the hardness labeling, the prominent display of Maxtense vs. 9014. 

Rich, once again - Mars I (or simply Mars, code 9014) is discontinued but Galaxy has amassed a lot of packaging (envelopes, inserts etc) and they still use it to package Mars II (code 9024). That's it - I don't understand what is so confusing about that... Wink

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2012 at 8:53pm

Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Rich, once again - Mars I (or simply Mars, code 9014) is discontinued but Galaxy has amassed a lot of packaging (envelopes, inserts etc) and they still use it to package Mars II (code 9024). That's it - I don't understand what is so confusing about that...

Thanks. I guess I just have to get use to the China packaging standards where whatever is labeled on the package is irrelevant to what is inside the package. Kudos though YinHe for employing environmentally sound recycling practices. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2012 at 11:34am
I got the numbers from my friend with durometer - and they are very puzzling

topsheet/sponge hardness (remember, these are quite approximate)

Mars 39 red 2.3 mm - 37/44 (?? wtf ??)
Mars 41 red 2.3 mm - 32/33 (??)
Mars 41 black 2.3 mm - 41/36

The only one that more or less makes sense is black Mars 41 although it is still not clear but then again - regular durometer is not calibrated to measure such thin pieces of rubber/sponge, so these numbers are useful for comparison only. But when you compare Mars 41 B with Mars 39 R - that is stunning... I dunno what to say. And the fact that numbers for Mars 41 R are so low just doesn't jibe with my own feelings from the play.

Truly important would be getting another Mars 41 B (or 39 R or 41 R) and measuring the numbers again. Perhaps someone still has the cutout pieces and could mail them to my friend? PM me and TIA.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2012 at 2:47pm
Was the topsheet separate to the sponge? was the durometer placed in the centre of a pimple in each case or some random place on the topsheet?. Too much possibility for human errors when this is done by an amateur with a durometer, especially when the same guy has had dubious readings in the past
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2012 at 3:01pm
Thickness of test specimen >6mm, no more than 3 layers;
Test area >/= feet area (diameter 18mm)

Test 3 times and calculate the average as test result

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic