Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Medium Pips Backhand Hitting Stroke?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medium Pips Backhand Hitting Stroke?
    Posted: 12/25/2011 at 10:19am
What is the best consistent hitting stroke for medium pips play on the backhand side?  I previously played with medium pips 1.5 mm 563-1 rubber for over two years.  While 1.5 mm sponge is harder to hit with consistently than 1.8 mm or 2.0 mm sponge, the 1.5 mm rubber gives a "funnier" spin reversing ball, harder for opponents to attack well.

However, I discovered that hitting backhands consistently with the medium pips is not easy to do, since the ball drops off the racket quickly due to lack of friction from the pips.  Also, when returning an opponent's loop, the pips dig in, and give an inconsistent shot, sometimes going long and sometimes dropping into the net.  Yet some national level USATT players can consistently hit the BH against a wide variety of balls as if were regular pips out rubber.  How do they do it?

My initial guess is that the best stroke is to keep the racket face perpendicular to the ball path against an opponent's topspin shots, then hit flat forward, or just shove the bat directly through the ball (as a shovel shot block/hit).  However, the USATT national level players seem to use a regular stroke with medium pips.  Any suggestions?

(Against an underspin or no spin ball, the racket likely must be open prior to ball contact, or the ball will drop off the racket into the net.)

Also, which world class players use medium pips (probably women), whose strokes and style I can emulate?  Any links to Youtube footage?

Edited by speedspin - 12/25/2011 at 10:24am
Speedspin
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 7:52pm
Miao Miao from Australia and Ai Fukuhara from Japan are the most famous users of medium pips. That's all I know about proper medium pip usage.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 3:25am
I give up for now.  Still can't embed a video even when using the film strip icon.
Do a search on YouTube for Miao Miao table tennis.

Edited by pnachtwey - 12/27/2011 at 3:33am
Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 3:45am
I have video of medium pips backhand hitter, he is far of world class, but maybe it will help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lts21lDBx10&list=UUEdyRQZPZ5Lk6mVe6USY_iQ&index=1&feature=plcp
Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20
speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:07am
Thanks.  Seems more players know about long pips usage than medium pips.
Speedspin
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 12:23pm
I am playing with medium pips 2.0mm
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 4:56pm
The problem with your question is that all medium pips are different thus they require different strokes for hitting. The only thing common for all types of pips (MP, LP, SP)  is that you should hit the ball with slightly upward motion, therefore it is much preferred to hit the ball off the bounce or at the highest point. But the motion itself varies a lot from rubber to rubber - it all depends on how grippy the pips are, how they bend when receiving the ball, what is the pips density, etc...  A friend of mine changed his hitting stroke completely when he changed from Galaxy Pluto (it was a really funny one, mostly like LPs) to 563, now he plays with Haifu Penguin and he likes it because hitting stroke is very much like as with short pips...

So, the best way to find a good stroke for your pips is to find a friend who can feed you multiball with different spins and make a couple of sessions so your muscles remember those strokes once they're found.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:31pm
I have tried med pips with thin sponge on my backhand and found it to be the most difficult of all the pips to hit consistently with. I was more consistent with hardbat than with med pips. Perhaps the sponge on the med pips was too hard for me. I finally settled on using Grass defense 1.0, which I found to be the easiest and most disruptive rubber to use for backhand attack against even dead balls.
speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:18pm
563-1 with its soft sponge seems easiest to hit with, especially against topspin shots.  With harder sponge, it became easier to hit against underspin, but not against topspin.  With harder sponge, spin reversal is easier (it releases the ball faster).  I didn't know that hitting the ball with "slightly upward motion" helps with all pips.  I know this works ok with SP.  My experience has been that with LP and MP, the ball drops off the racket if you try to brush the ball.  With SP, I can brush the ball upward or hit through it, with varying spin effects.  With MP, I generally try to open the racket face and hit direcctly through the ball, sometimes closing the racket face as the ball is hit, especially against loop or heavy topspin shots.

The thicker the sponge (1.5 vs 1.8 vs 2.0), the less spin reversal and less "funny" spin balls.  The 1.5 mm sponge gave me a funnier spin ball, but was not as easy to hit with as the 1.8 or 2.0 mm sponge.  What thickness of Haifu Penguin MP does your friend use?  I assume that Grass defense 1.0 is LP, not MP?

The multiball practice seems good, but the problem is that MP's return ball against drive shots is highly dependent on contact point (height of the ball, ball speed, spin intensity, etc.).  I'd like suggestions on how to make minimal modification of the stroke against varying spin balls with MP on the BH.  I noticed when I put the MP on the FH, it is easier to hit with--perhaps because I can see the contact point and adjust the racket angle and stroke path more easily.  But that's not to say that it is easy to hit with the MPs!  Consistency seems to take good touch and the ability to hit solidly through the ball.
Speedspin
speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2012 at 11:42am

Question - how do you BH medium pips and long pips hitters handle the slow, slightly high no spin, sidespin, underspin, topspin, slow loop balls?  I can generate speed with the pips when the other player hits at normal or even fast speed--no problem!  However, with a slow slightly high ball that floats with little spin (side, under, top) or heavy topspin, it wreaks havoc with my BH timing and my percentage accuracy in hitting goes way down.  I sometimes push this ball fast instead of hitting it because the fast push is more reliable, and I hope to get a lower ball to attack more consistently.

Of course, the pros have no problem with this ball - they just blast away - how do you think they handle it?  Is it by hitting a topspin brushing stroke accelerating fast at impact?  Is it by opening the racket face, then making full contact straight through the ball regardless of spin?  Or do they make last minute changes in angle of racket and racket stroke depending on each ball (e.g., sidespin that breaks left or right)?
Speedspin
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2012 at 12:28pm
I switched from the 563 pips to the Dawei 388C-1 MP. I find the Dawei topsheet to be gripper than the 563.  
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I switched from the 563 pips to the Dawei 388C-1 MP. I find the Dawei topsheet to be gripper than the 563.  

Which plays better?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 12:57pm
Tuco has been helping me train with medium pips on BH. We've tried a few and the funkiest so far is Pluto. That thing is crazy with dropping on the table and dead balls. Blocks are tricky. I have to have just the right kind of angle and touch . . . if I am too passive or push too forward it either drops into the net of floats off the table. With hitting  . . . I need to get my elbow extended out and grab the ball on the end of the head and snap it (hard to describe). In short, for each return there is a specific kind of shot you need to execute. From what I can see so far . . . medium pips can be deadly, but they are NOT forgiving to the user. If you don't execute your shot with just the right touch . . . you are dead! So, the question is . . . do "you" work through this and stick with one of the medium pips to master it, go to SP where you can flat hit more and sacrifice funk, go to LP and get more funky with less hitting potential, go back to inverted so you don't have to think so much, use an Anti and learn that funk, or play a modified Seemiller style and peel off the BHrubber!

Edited by tommyzai - 03/17/2012 at 1:07pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Which plays better?

The Dawei plays much better and the pips don't break off.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 10:34pm
I often play against -- and am sometimes coached by -- CW Smith of BBC Table Tennis who has used 563 1.5 on his BH for 20 years or more. He has mastered the stroke in question and uses it to devastating effect. I, and most of his opponents, know to avoid his BH corner!

For loopers and inverted rubber players, the flat MP stroke I'm about to describe will feel unnatural at first and can be frustratingly difficult to learn. There is absolutely no brushing of the ball. Nor is there the typical low-to-high stroke path used with inverted rubbers. The MP hitting stroke is flat; its motion parallel to the table surface until the very end of the stroke when your elbow is almost completely extended, and then the paddle rises a little, giving the ball a touch of topspin.

Charlie's BH stroke has no backswing and therefore no telegraph. Instead, he's ready with his arm cocked, elbow out. The starting elbow position is important in this stroke and is different from inverted strokes where the elbow is typically lower than paddle height and the stroke rotates around the elbow low-to-high. With the BH MP hitting stroke, the elbow is deliberately thrust forward with arm cocked so the elbow is the player's furthest point forward, putting the upper arm parallel to the table.

The blade stays open throughout the stroke, nearly perpendicular to the table. It's key to let the ball come in deep, past your extended elbow. When the ball has just about reached the paddle you start extending your arm in a flat, parallel to the table sweeping stroke. The natural sink effect of MP's like 563 will take the ball downwards on your opponent's side of the table, and the resulting ball is a dead ball bullet that most players counter into the bottom of the net.

I'll add that MP rubbers can be used like inverteds if you alter the inverted stroke enough. The result is a weak topspin ball. But MPs are not nearly as dangerous when used as such, and you are not using the rubber for what it's best at.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2012 at 3:18pm
Also worth watching, Carl Prean, medium pip backhand hitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66auvvEOx0

Also, PERSSON SMASH
speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2014 at 4:45am
I am using 1.8 mm rather than 1.5 mm Dawei 388 C-1, and finding the Dawei lasts longer than 563-1 (before pips break). Plus I like the way it hits. However, with 1.8, I am finding a slight brushing up motion gives some greater consistency with the shot, similar to using short pips.  But, I wonder how Ai Fukuhara uses 1.5 mm medium pips so effectively against all kinds of balls.

The one that gives me the greatest problem is the sidespin ball which just floats--probably, it's in part a timing issue. Any suggestions on how to hit this "sitter" which is not too high, but has side spin on it and bounces sideways, possibly with some top or underspin on it?  Shoving it back with a flat blade is one possibility, or a fast shovel-shot block.  But, I'd rather hit it BH--possibly with the blade open, then closing on impact.  Still timing the shot is a bit of an issue. Any other thoughts?
Speedspin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic