Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: DHS PG7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: DHS PG7
    Posted: 01/02/2012 at 2:51pm
For a while now i've been looking for a new blade. Up untill now i've been generally happy with the Avalox BT 777, and am a long time fan of 7-layered wooden attack blades. I was blessed with a 79,5g BT 777 some years ago and it's always been the blade i returned to after the occasional stint of EJ'ing in search of that which would propel my game to stardom. Don't judge me, i know you've been there too.

I'm also very picky about the handles i use, and it's been a hassle finding one that fits my small hand, the BT 777 being the closest match so far with it's short and stout handle. Given some of the discussions on this forum i was intriegued by Ma Longs choice in handles, which prompted me to order a PG-series blade from eacheng, the PG7. At the same time, i was looking to stray from my long time loveaffair with japanese tensor rubbers in the Nittaku Narucross series and ordered a few 38 deg. Haifu Whale II, red sponge rubbers from powerpingpong, keeping my stable companion Andro HeXer PowerSponge 2.1mm in the backhand.

When i received the blade, it's weight of 90g had me concerned, being used to lighter setups. The head is a bit larger than the BT 777, which also increases the weight in terms of rubber mass. It felt heavy. But when i held it for the first time, i knew it was love at first shake despite it's weight and I honestly think this is the flared handle i've been searching for. 

Was it worth the wait? Sure was, because not only does the handle allow the headheaviness to play to an advantage rather than a disadvantage, but the feel of the wood is absolutely amazing. I've tried various rubbers, both chinese and tensors and they all feel amazing in their own way. Despite the inherent speed and hardness of the blade, it's as if rubbers gain a higher throw compared to the BT 777, spin is increased, and balls seem to home in on the opponents side of the table even when you're exerting yourself to provide maximum power to your loops and drives. Something i was never quite comfortable with on the BT 777, where rubbers seemed to have lower throws which allowed for fewer mistakes.

After another 3 hour practice session today, i'm ready to make my conclusion. PG7 beats the BT 777 in almost every category except short play. My accuracy is up by 15%, something i attribute to both the improved throw characteristics and the fact that i can comfortably apply whatever force i require maybe because of my comfort with the PG7 handle. Combined with the incredible spin of the red sponge Whale II, successive loops against experienced long pip players seemed easy and required less work, allowing for quicker repositioning and better overview and placement after each shot. Being so consistent in regular drills was incredibly empowering because of the increased accuracy and surplus of overview.

The heaviness of the blade with rubbers requires me to more work intensely and the blade does not forgive as much as the BT 777 does. But the setup feels so good to me that i've begun rubber-band training to let my wrist/arm become increasingly comfortable with it. After a week of doing rubber-band training i can already feel the change in my explosiveness and the weight of the blade has instead become a lethal asset. 

This blade is really, really exciting. I've stille got some ways to go before i'm 100% comfortable with it, but in my days of EJ'ing, i've never felt this amount of potential in any blade in this short a time of play.

Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
Sponsored Links

szikorz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szikorz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 3:52pm
Nice overview! Although I did not "fall in love" with the PG7 at first sight, I can confirm most of your impressions sit there as they are, except of the FL handle that my PG7 has and that is quite slim in the middle part of it for myself. Thanks for sharing your vital impressions. 
Stiga Clipper Wood CR WRB - Fh: Yasaka Rakza 7 - Bh: Tibhar 5Q

ray james View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 4:00pm
Great review - i know how you feel when you discover a blade that suits ! Im in lucky position that my business partner owns table tennis shop (ttlinks.co.uk) and is the official distributor for DHS products in the UK . I stumbled across this blade about a year ago (pre Ma long using it !!) it arrived as sample. Ive tried majority  the Off/Off+blades in the DHS range to provide reviews for the catalogue. I must say that PG7 is properly one of the best 7 ply blades I've used from  the DHS range.
Paired with H3neo/Omega 1V pro, yes its heavy but i found  looping, counter-hitting, blocking a breeze.

One of the most underrated blades on the market

DHS PG7

F/H hurricane neo national 2.15

B/H XIOM Omega V1 pro max

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 4:03pm
not to mention that it's workmanship/quality is so much nicer than some of those Stiga's more expensive, latest & greatest blades.
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by szikorz szikorz wrote:

Nice overview! Although I did not "fall in love" with the PG7 at first sight, I can confirm most of your impressions sit there as they are, except of the FL handle that my PG7 has and that is quite slim in the middle part of it for myself. Thanks for sharing your vital impressions. 

So the handle is too slim for you? I might have exaggerated a bit about the declaration of love :) It was odd tho, because for a moment, i didn't care about the playing characteristics. I was just in love with the handle itself.

Originally posted by ray james ray james wrote:

Great review - i know how you feel when you discover a blade that suits ! Im in lucky position that my business partner owns table tennis shop (ttlinks.co.uk) and is the official distributor for DHS products in the UK . I stumbled across this blade about a year ago (pre Ma long using it !!) it arrived as sample. Ive tried majority  the Off/Off+blades in the DHS range to provide reviews for the catalogue. I must say that PG7 is properly one of the best 7 ply blades I've used from  the DHS range.
Paired with H3neo/Omega 1V pro, yes its heavy but i found  looping, counter-hitting, blocking a breeze.

One of the most underrated blades on the market 

That's an interesting piece of info, thanks. Definately underrated. And It's so cheap!

Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

not to mention that it's workmanship/quality is so much nicer than some of those Stiga's more expensive, latest & greatest blades.

Agreed, it's really quite nice. I'm so impressed. And again, it's so cheap!

Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

to enrich the thread i made some comparison to some stigas.

these months i have played extensively with rw v and sometimes with mapplewood v.

and lately with the pg7.

the mppw v is even thicker than the rw v. both blades very good feeling.

imo the pg7 is a more sharp sword. it is more powerful and dangerous. it has potential to be played with more effects. and it is more stable.

being the rwv a very good looping and blocking blade, the pg7 blocks better than the rw v and much more better than the mppw v. and loops more powerful and it is more stable.

but the good thing in the pg7 is that at first it seems that maybe has less control in short game.
the pg7 has a good short game. at the level of the rwv. mppw has a little bit better control in short game.

i made better scores with the pg7 and i see my opponents were having more difficult game when i play with the pg7.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

to enrich the thread i made some comparison to some stigas.

these months i have played extensively with rw v and sometimes with mapplewood v.

and lately with the pg7.

the mppw v is even thicker than the rw v. both blades very good feeling.

imo the pg7 is a more sharp sword. it is more powerful and dangerous. it has potential to be played with more effects. and it is more stable.

being the rwv a very good looping and blocking blade, the pg7 blocks better than the rw v and much more better than the mppw v. and loops more powerful and it is more stable.

but the good thing in the pg7 is that at first it seems that maybe has less control in short game.
the pg7 has a good short game. at the level of the rwv. mppw has a little bit better control in short game.

i made better scores with the pg7 and i see my opponents were having more difficult game when i play with the pg7.

I've been wondering about the RW and MPW. Thanks for that comparison!
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 5:54pm
the letters in mine didn't come centered.
handle is short.
overall it's not a bad blade, specially considering the price.
it felt kind of "light", not solid like clipper or tube offensive, it's like a mixture between 5 and 7 ply, lively with a bit more power like 7ply.
I also think you can tell the difference between a blade like pg7 and say a nittaku ludeack.
it seems they use wood of higher quality for ludeack.
this is what you would expect since with what you pay for a ludeack you can get 4 pg7 LOL

Edited by sa01 - 01/02/2012 at 6:23pm
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 7:00pm
what's the weight of a pg7?
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

between 82 and 91 more or less.
not the heavy 7ply type like clearfield or power7.
7ply on a diet LOL

Edited by sa01 - 01/02/2012 at 8:55pm
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2012 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

7ply on a diet LOL

The PG7 i have is  ~91gr. That's heavy for my taste. I've tried a couple of Clearfields that were both around 92gr. There doesn't seem to be that big a difference, atleast not for the blades i've tried.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by zrrbiteDK zrrbiteDK wrote:

7ply on a diet LOL

The PG7 i have is  ~91gr. That's heavy for my taste. I've tried a couple of Clearfields that were both around 92gr. There doesn't seem to be that big a difference, atleast not for the blades i've tried.

well yeah not in that case.
the ones I saw were like 100g.
I think for pg7 91g is really heavy, it's more like a looping blade, not the traditional heavy 7ply for hitters.
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2012 at 6:22pm
Good point. The Looping-blade characteristic definately makes sense when i compare it to other 7plys. I'm liking it.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2012 at 9:32pm
thickness of the blade ?
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2012 at 10:19pm
Hi, I play with the PG7 St. handle and I don't think I could play any better with high dollar blades. I'm an old fart at 65 and play with a bunch of seniors.I've use to use MM and TBS ,but I play better with the PG7 and have fun playing with it. I have 4 of them just in case they jack the price up. The 2 that I use, 1 with Sigma Pro Bl. max on f/h Vega Pro Rd. max on b/h,2 Rakza 7 bl. max on f/h and Omega Europe rd. max on b/h. For me the PG7 gives me every thing I need, speed.feel, and control. As for the wood, I know the outer is Limba but I don't know the other plies. I think the quality is just as good as the high dollar fancy name blades.
Shifter
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2012 at 11:56pm
stiga clipper is just 20 dollars more than pg7.
I'd take clipper every time....
davidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

Hi, I play with the PG7 St. handle and I don't think I could play any better with high dollar blades. I'm an old fart at 65 and play with a bunch of seniors.I've use to use MM and TBS ,but I play better with the PG7 and have fun playing with it. I have 4 of them just in case they jack the price up. The 2 that I use, 1 with Sigma Pro Bl. max on f/h Vega Pro Rd. max on b/h,2 Rakza 7 bl. max on f/h and Omega Europe rd. max on b/h. For me the PG7 gives me every thing I need, speed.feel, and control. As for the wood, I know the outer is Limba but I don't know the other plies. I think the quality is just as good as the high dollar fancy name blades.

Other plies are ayous. 

PG 7 recently has become my main blade. After I played with it, I cannot go back with my old blades.

PG7 (Skyline 2, LKT XP)
YEO (Skyline 2, Skyline 3)
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 1:57pm
PG 7 is too heavy, and 6.6 mm. It is not good for chinese rubbers
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 3:13pm
IMHO pg7 is perfect for chinese rubbers because it is very fast and at the same time it is not hard (unlike pg2 and pg3 which have koto outer and are much harder). this is good because Chinese rubbers are slow and hard.

pg3 and pg2 are just as heavy as pg7 btw.

Edited by seguso - 04/19/2012 at 3:14pm
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 3:20pm
PG7 is 6.3 mm. thick not 6.7. What I hear it is like the old Clippers were before the started making the 7 mm. now.
Shifter
fzolesz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fzolesz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 3:51pm
Sounds good!
OSP VIRTUOSO AC (L=159 mm)( Aramid/Carbon)

FH: Tenergy 80
BH: Tenergy 80
Boosted with Falco long

OSP Blades

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

IMHO pg7 is perfect for chinese rubbers because it is very fast and at the same time it is not hard (unlike pg2 and pg3 which have koto outer and are much harder). this is good because Chinese rubbers are slow and hard.

pg3 and pg2 are just as heavy as pg7 btw.

agreed. i put new era in pg7 fh and plays very well.

Edited by ejmaster - 04/19/2012 at 6:57pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 9:36pm

PG7 is 6.3 mm. thick not 6.7. What I hear it is like the old Clippers were before the started making the 7 mm. now.

I noticed it is more lively, light in feeling, not so solid as clipper.
I didn't really like this, I prefer blades that feel solid like clipper or tbs.

Edited by sa01 - 04/19/2012 at 9:36pm
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 10:03pm

yes the pg7 does not feel so solid but it is very stable. it takes sometime to appreciate its game.

after some time playing with it the pg7 has a particular behaviour that drives to a sensitive and powerful game. but it is true it is a blade to stay at being adapted to its game. if ejing between blades it is easy to lose the feeling to play the pg7.

now i go back to the a/c btfly blades but i got as good scores with the pg7 when i was adapted to its game.

however with the clipper i never got such a good game and scores as either the pg7 or a/c. the clipper is in between without having neither of the sharp or liveness about the a/c or the pg7 being adapted.
EJ Club.

sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

yes the pg7 does not feel so solid but it is very stable. it takes sometime to appreciate its game.

after some time playing with it the pg7 has a particular behaviour that drives to a sensitive and powerful game. but it is true it is a blade to stay at being adapted to its game. if ejing between blades it is easy to lose the feeling to play the pg7.

now i go back to the a/c btfly blades but i got as good scores with the pg7 when i was adapted to its game.

however with the clipper i never got such a good game and scores as either the pg7 or a/c. the clipper is in between without having neither of the sharp or liveness about the a/c or the pg7 being adapted.

clipper doesn't have the offensive capabilities of tbs but control is much better
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 12:05am
Played yesterday with PG7 and Joola Express one max both side. One of the best combo I've ever had. PG7 is outstanding in all dept. It's sharp, precise and provides tons of feedback. It's not a speed monster and enables to control the game with a wide range of shots. Pushing, blocking, hitting and looping are so natural and easy with this blade that it becomes ridiculous. When it comes to close the point, the blade is here too. And it's sooo cheap. My favorite 7 plies blade so far (and I've tried a lot...).
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 12:17am

clipper doesn't have the offensive capabilities of tbs but control is much better

Then Clipper CR WRB is not a clipper. Smile
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 3:17am
I've finally tried the PG7. It does have the feel and control of Stiga Clipper Wood and is faster. 

Although it is not my cup of tee (at the moment), I appreciate how well it harmonizes with H3 Neo and TG3 Neo. (Since I've  tried it with these rubbers on, the combo came out quite heavy, blade alone is 90 grams and the combo was 194 grams). For regular play I'd look for a lighter rubber for BH.

Still have not tried it with T05 or T64, and softer EU/Jap rubbers (I have Hexer in mind and in store, actually "in closet") but my guess is that it will not disappoint. 

This blade seems like a real bargain. It is not worse than any of TG7s and half the price.
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 5:43am
Has anyone tried the blade in ST? is it square or rounded?
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 5:52am
Rounded
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic