FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Shortest Trajectory Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bubudobakdan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubudobakdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shortest Trajectory Rubber
    Posted: 01/11/2012 at 11:27am
Which rubber has the shortest trajectory, meaning the ball dives down and lands on the table quickly? I am a hittter and mostly drives from either side.  By hitter, I mean I power drive, not loop.  (That was what I was told).  I don't want to waste more money trying new rubbers by trial and error.  Can you guys hellp me?
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 11:33am
Sounds like you need a hard, slow, tacky rubber.  There are a bunch of Chinese rubbers that are suitable.  These are also some of the least expensive rubbers on the market, so you can experiment a bit without losing much. 

Edited by Baal - 01/11/2012 at 11:34am
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 11:55am
Do you typically brush the ball for opening loop or do you hit it with less force? The reason I ask is because a tacky Chinese rubber with a hard sponge might suit you, but only if you brush the ball on short shots and hit it HARD on longer shots. On slow and medium shots, a chinese rubber will not have much spin.

You could also try something like Donic Baracuda which is very spinny but not super fast or tacky.
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 12:11pm
Short pips anyone? He's a hitter who doesn't loop and wants the ball to land quickly. Smells like short pips to me.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 12:30pm
I can definitely attest that Killerspin Fortissimo has these characteristics. It is not a tensor but has quite a bit of factory tuning. Incredible for blocking and low throw. Alas, I called Killerspin last week and they are out of stock. I have been looking for an alternative and it seems like Joola's Phenix (Phoenix) has similar properties. It is also not a tensor. 

About Chinese rubbers. I have talked to several members at the club and they have all agreed that the problem that they have with Chinese rubber is the variability. Some have even been to China and have noticed the difference in quality between the rubber they were able to get in China vs. that which they purchase online. Quality control seems to be an issue. I think that the Chinese rubber may be good for you BUT ... when one person recommends a certain Chinese rubber and another person says it is junk, remember it may be personal preferences OR it may be the rubber was really completely different! If I had a consistent, reliable source, I might be using Chinese rubber. There are Chinese penholder players in the club who buy Tenergy 64 (I don't think it is for you) because of these consistency issues with the Chinese rubber. 

Edited by richrf - 01/11/2012 at 12:32pm
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 12:35pm
I'm not sure if you want a Chinese rubber or not. I am only sure TG3 has more dip than either of the Hurricanes, it also smashes very straight. If you do end up deciding on a Chinese rubber you can put that on the list Big smile
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 12:36pm
Yea buy Killespin Fortissimo it is the best rubber for every playing style, its like jesus in a sponge and god in a rubber, go and buy it now gogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogo
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 12:48pm
If you want a short trajectory don't hit the ball so fast horizontally and/or put more spin on the ball.
There was a thread a while back about the fastest serve.  I calculated that the spin on the ball created a downwards force of about 2 times that of gravity.  That will shorten the trajectory.

What bubudobakdan is asking for isn't possible.   He wants to drive and still have a short trajectory.   The only way that will happen is with spin or looping.   Brush looping will do it. 

Baal's suggestion of a tacky spinny slow rubber meets these requirements of spinny and slow but bubadobakdan must loop or brush to achieve this.   The H3 #19 sponge is tacky and slow.  Apollo is very tacky and a little faster.  H3 #19 may not be what bubudobakdan had in mind for power driving though.

SPs don't seem to grip while brush looping.  There seems to be a limit of how much one can close the paddle and still hit with spin while using SP.  I'm not saying it can't be done but it would take a lot more effort and skill.

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

If you want a short trajectory don't hit the ball so fast horizontally and/or put more spin on the ball.
There was a thread a while back about the fastest serve.  I calculated that the spin on the ball created a downwards force of about 2 times that of gravity.  That will shorten the trajectory.

What bubudobakdan is asking for isn't possible.   He wants to drive and still have a short trajectory.   The only way that will happen is with spin or looping.   Brush looping will do it. 

Baal's suggestion of a tacky spinny slow rubber meets these requirements of spinny and slow but bubadobakdan must loop or brush to achieve this.   The H3 #19 sponge is tacky and slow.  Apollo is very tacky and a little faster.  H3 #19 may not be what bubudobakdan had in mind for power driving though.

SPs don't seem to grip while brush looping.  There seems to be a limit of how much one can close the paddle and still hit with spin while using SP.  I'm not saying it can't be done but it would take a lot more effort and skill.

I think the OP is a topspin/driver and I think he needs a rubber that does a good job of gripping the ball and imparting spin given good technique (e.g. good speed in the stroke) without a larger looking motion. I think that this is reasonable with short pip since the speed of a good topspin drive stroke should counter any backspin. Not to dissimilar from a flick. What he needs is to force the ball down quickly. Part of this is the angle of the blade as well as the speed of the motion (arm, wrist, etc.) Part is the natural throw of the rubber. Maybe the OP can explain is technique (is he shakehand or penholder for example) in more detail and some of the issues he is facing with his current equipment. 

Edited by richrf - 01/11/2012 at 1:07pm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubudobakdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 2:35pm
Thanks for so much information.  Some of your advices reinforce my impression of many different rubbers I have tried so far.  As a Jpenner who hits hard with top spin like RSM or Jung Woo Lee, and who played TT some 30 years ago in Korea, brushing is something that happens as accident.  I cannot do it intentionally on the consistent basis.  Recently I began playing TT again because my 13 year old boy developed interest in it.  So I take him to a TT club every week so he can learn TT the way it should be played intead of playing recreational player way.  And I learned to play RPB and plays with reversible Jpen blade and Cpen nowadays.

I noticed Short Pips works fine with my style.  I have one blade (Ancient Kauri blade by AHinoki) with 802-40 FH and 802 BH.  MP and LP are out of question because I cannot control the top spin or the throw angle is way too low.  But with SP, I can play a decent top spin game with good control.

Also I noticed that a cheap tacky Chinese rubbers like Sakura or Skyline TG2 work fine in the sense I can keep the ball in table.  Hurricane is okay but I do not see much of dipping action.  Trajectory from Tenergy 05 and 64 which I put on Darker Speed 90 reversible seem to be too flat and I have difficulties keeping balls on table when I strike the balls. 

Baracuda, Rakza 7 soft and Andro Revolution are fine but not as effective as some tacky Chinese rubbers in creating that dipping actions.   Some Chinese rubbers like Kokutaku explosion or 868 seem to slow down the ball so I can get more control.  But they are sometimes too slow.  I applied Paraffin Oil to soften the sponge.  Maybe that is why. 

I seem to have problems with short game (service return and short flick).  But if I cannot have both ways, I would rather have a rubber that I can top spin hit and still keep the ball in the table. 

I ordered 999, inspirit in 1.8mm.  And some Kokutaku 868 in tacky and non tacky version.  Is there a way to change the characterics of the rubber to get the results (fast dipping, short trajectory, etc)?  Applying Paraffin oil on the rubber, maybe?
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 2:41pm
paddles from walmart have excellent short trajectory...

if you want to spend more... butterfly flextra 1mmm would do the job. 
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 4:58pm
Hi,

From what I gather, you are about in the same place I am, which is returning to the game after a long hiatus. Welcome back! I love the game because I played it at 20 and I am playing it at 60 and loving it just as much. Lots of great exercise and encourages me to work on conditioning, speed, relaxation, flexibility, etc.

From what I gather, I think that you could probably get that extra dip that you are looking for by working a bit more on accelerating your body (and naturally your arms and wrists) through the hit. What I do, in order to increase speed and relaxation, is just shadow hit in front of a mirror. This helps creates the rhythm and speed that I am looking for. Maybe this is all you need to do. Stretching and some shadow strokes? Maybe couple this with a tacky rubber if you think that the SP is not right for you, but something tells me that with your style, increase speed rather than equipment change may be the first place to look. BTW, my friend who is a cpen with a similar syle to yours plays with the BTY Tackfire-C. 

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubudobakdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 5:36pm
Thank you richrf.  I also have BTY Senkoh5 with Tackfire Drive.  I noticed that if I speed glue it, I get the satisfactory dip and control.  Without speed glue, well still okay I guess because it is similar to rubbers I am accoustomed to in the past, like Sriver, whatelse. 
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubudobakdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 9:29pm
Thanks everyone.  Chopchopslam, i brush my opening shot to create the top spin game i prefer.  So i will try tacky Chinese rubber, Baal.   Richrf, i am 48 and hit pretty hard.  I learned a lot.  Thanks.
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 6:34am
At some in the signature is TG2 Neo.
 ? As it to compare with TG3 Neo ?
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubudobakdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2012 at 9:06pm
Just in case you guys are wondering what rubber I chose to play with after your advice, I am playing with Gambler Outlaw 2.2 mm soft sponge, topsheet boosted with orange oil  and Grip S also top sheet treated with orange oil.  So far they are the rubbers that come closest with the kind of rubber I was hoping to find.  They are fast, soft enough for opening loop and abrupt dipping when hit hard from mid distance.  As long as I don't play in tourney, which I don't, it is fun to play with rubbers which suit your game.
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2012 at 11:25pm
Play with more spin. Don't drive or hit every shot. If you want to hit/drive, choose the ones that are high enough to do so.
Remember that hitting or driving gives you little spin and consequently the ball will not curve down as much.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

If you want a short trajectory don't hit the ball so fast horizontally and/or put more spin on the ball....

...edit...

...edit...

I disagree. As someone who spent quite a bit of time with the Hurricane series, (specifically the #20 sponge) I can attest to these rubbers producing enough topspin to get a pronounced dip just over the net from both close and mid, even using a driving stroke.

As ohgourami will likely attest, when you engage the sponge on a Hurricane, you get a pronounced increase in driving spin.

Perhaps the #19 sponge (which was designed specifically for booster) lacks that characteristic. But the #20 sponge with a forward driving stroke and relatively closed bat face will produce exactly the trajectory that the OP is requesting.

But unlike the outlaw that the OP selected, which is a rubber designed for smashing and hitting, neither H2 or H3 will be as fast on mid-strength drives and counters.

I'll defer to BlueBucket here though, as he has much more experience at a higher level.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2012 at 9:18am
Wow, you bought the opposite of what you said you wanted. Outlaw is fast and not very spinny. But with a tuned topsheet, I guess anything works. As long as you're happy. Wink
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2012 at 11:17am
Thanks to the OP for sharing with us that he is tuning the rubber. It helps me better understand how he is getting the characteristics he is looking for. 
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2012 at 1:10pm
umm.. I think what your are looking for is not good for what you are trying to do. Short trajectory rubbers are terrible for hitting and driving. Tacky chinese rubbers have short trajectory but they not good for hitting/driving. Get a long low throw, fast, nontacky rubber. Joola Express One or BTY Bryce come to my mind, and everything similar. They not sensitive to spin and have very linear straight direction trajectory and make hitting cake. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2012 at 3:00pm
Donic Sonex JP gold is another rubber that comes to my mind talking about short trajectory rubber , the harder i hit with forward motion the lower the trajectory was.
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 4:27pm
I think trajectory can be somewhat blade dependent, but Thors is a nice mix of tacky and tensor for both the short game spin and away from the table play.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic