Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calibra LT Plus and Spin review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calibra LT Plus and Spin review
    Posted: 01/29/2012 at 8:31pm
this is my personal review of the Stiga calibra lt plus and spin versions, also i have this glued to a Stiga maplewood NCT 7 its a OFF+ blade.

I been playing with these rubbers for a month now i use the spin on my FH and lt plus in my BH (suggested by Yogi_Bear, Thanks it works better)

Calibra LT Plus: rubber its hard and very fast, it does have low dwell time but with the right brush it does produce tons of spin, good in my BH cause it give me that extra speed that i need in my BH, also its a non tacky rubber and like other people have said it does deserve the long trajectory in its name, it plays better away from the table but its also playable at close range (at first was impossible for me to play close to the table though) another thing its not a bad blocker either. durability hmm i have to wait a little longer i guess but so far it looks just as new as the first day and i play 2 to 4 days a week, i do clean it with Nittaku Clean mist before putting it away and after its dry i put a protection sheet so maybe its cause of that.

Calibra LT Spin: rubber its Medium, not tacky in my opinion but some websites rate the rubber as slightly tacky anyways the ball stays a little longer on the rubber than the LT Plus but if you ask me i would say it have a low dwell time also but once you get used to it, it does produce tons of spin and its very fast too, it does have a Long Trajectory like the LT Plus, its a great blocker, as far as aging samething applies it looks like new after a month but i do take care of both sides equally, great for looping and topspins and great spinny serves

WARNING: you can create a bad habit of not making your stroke with these rubbers if you buy any of these rubbers for your very first custom paddle because they are fast the ball will land on the other side with a great speed just by blocking so if you get them keep in mind always to make your stroke

both rubbers are great away from the table but very playable close to the table too, they do block and push just fine also both rubbers produce a really nice crisp sound when hitting the ball the LT Plus its louder than the spin version, also both of my rubbers are Max Sponges, this rubbers can be frustrating at first if you are not used to fast rubbers but once you are used to them they are amazing, they do produce a great amount of spin but they are sensitive to incoming spins too, this is the first time i do a full review of something so i hope i didnt forget anything and if i did feel free to ask i would do my best to answer it!
Sponsored Links

AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 1:11am
Great review/comparison! Very informative, and I totally agree with your disclaimer LOL Calibra is definitely the fastest rubber series out on the market at the moment. Have you tried the original Calibra LT?
Viscaria
T05/T64
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 5:50am
Isn't the Calibra LT Plus very fast on backhand? 
I  found even Calibra LT very fast for backhand.
I have heard that  Magna series are more controllable on backhand.

As far as Calibra series is concerned, I like Calibra Spin very much as forehand rubber.
Calibra LT and Calibra LT Sound have lower throw angle than Calibra LT Spin.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 11:55am
The calibra lt plus it is fast and most people will find it better as a forehand rubber but for me works better in my backhand since I can place the ball with the great speed and where the player is out of balance at that moment
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 6:56pm
actuallt the LT plus, it was very controllable in my backhand before. it was good for blocking and i can still loop with it
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 7:51pm
agree with yogi_bear and with the speed is just amazing
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

actuallt the LT plus, it was very controllable in my backhand before. it was good for blocking and i can still loop with it

Yogi, you reviewed Magna TX2 some days ago. 
Could you compare Magna TX2 and Calibra LT Plus as backhand rubber on a carbon blade?

InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2012 at 10:45pm
just an update, after a little bit more than 3 month calibra lt plus hits the ball like new and it still have that nice pop sound it does produce amazing speed and spin during rallies and calibra lt spin does produce great spin still and have the pop sound too overall the durability on this rubbers is amazing i cant believe they still play almost like new after all this time and i have been playing like a mad man trying to fully adjust to these rubbers and serving with them and just to be specific enough i been playing at least 4 hours a day 4 to 5 days a week and thats pretty accurate and i dare to say that they feel almost like new i think they can go another 3 months before i notice the decrease in spin or speed but keep in mind that i have never ever put them away without cleaning them really good with a soft sponge and nittaku mist and after i use the sponge twice in each rubber i clean the sponge with water, so if you take care of these rubbers they will last you a long time!
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 5:11am
? Throw angle higher : Calibra LT Spin or Hexer HD ? Thx.
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 7:15am
HD by far.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 12:48pm
thanks speaquinox since i havent tried HD i didnt know
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 9:45pm
i'm currently using calibra lt plus. at first when i bought it, it felt weird so i was a little disappointed, but after giving it 3 weeks its full potential came out, and it really is a great rubber. i can feel the catapult effect especially when i'm far away from the table despite its click sound being less audible than desto f1. it also produced more spin that desto f1.

however i did notice power driving balls on the table was much easier with desto f1 than calibra lt plus; with calibra, it kept going to the net. but when my games reach the point where i have to back away from the table, that's were calibra lt plus shines above desto f1.my balls become high-arched and very spinny, whereas with desto f1 the ball has a flatter trajectory and sooner or later goes to the net.

this is my opinion as someone who has used calibra lt plus since february
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

HAPPINESS is....sometimes no words, just the sound of a ball
Mahmood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahmood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by mrdoodzki mrdoodzki wrote:

i'm currently using calibra lt plus. at first when i bought it, it felt weird so i was a little disappointed, but after giving it 3 weeks its full potential came out, and it really is a great rubber. i can feel the catapult effect especially when i'm far away from the table despite its click sound being less audible than desto f1. it also produced more spin that desto f1.

however i did notice power driving balls on the table was much easier with desto f1 than calibra lt plus; with calibra, it kept going to the net. but when my games reach the point where i have to back away from the table, that's were calibra lt plus shines above desto f1.my balls become high-arched and very spinny, whereas with desto f1 the ball has a flatter trajectory and sooner or later goes to the net.

I just wanted to make a new topic about this... You made me happy man.
So for the last time, just to be sure.
Are you sure that Calibra LT Plus:
-Does not have a flat trajectory? Flat not long...
-Is good for driving (no pun intended)?
-Has the catapult effect?
Big smile
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 4:05pm
I use it as a backhand and I can tell you that it grips the ball very good so it is not flat at all and its extremely fast and bouncy, with the speed and spin combine it produce a nice kick
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 4:20pm
how is calibra LT plus in opening loops against backspin, over the table or just out...???

can you open loops by brushing the top of the ball? 
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 4:27pm
I just used a few days as a fh but you can, just hard cause its not a high trow rubber its just matter of getting use to it
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 12:52am

I get Tibhar Aurus and Calibra LT every two months. I like Calibra LT a LOT. It really shines in topspin to topspin rallies. LT is VERY FAST, yet with my kind of loop stroke, I get a LOT of spin, just as much as T05, but a LOT more pace. That is very good news for my fast loops and counter topspin rallies. The "kick" and throw of LT are very low, which adds to the trouble. LT is a lot more controlable than it would appear. T05 does better in the strokes that use half power, like connecting shots, just no rubber that can do that and also perform well at the top end.

Tibhar Aurus is most like T05 in that shots of all speed ranges are increadably controllable as well as a great top end, even better than T05. So, I tend to use Aurus on FH most of the time, unless I know I will minly be in counter topspin rallies. Aurus fast loops well enough to win points, so I usually keep Calibra on my BH wing, not to say I cannot use it on FH.

On BH with Calibra, there is ZERO problem opening vs an underspin, whether it is a spinny slow loop, or fast loop. Looping vs a slowish no spin ball is also controllable. I see no issues using Calibra as a BH rubber, even if it is not the prototypical BH rubber. Plus, the SPEED of Claibra is a real plus in those BH to BH flat rallies and you can still change it up by spinning it. that gets a lot of points. Calibra is a FAST, yet versitile rubber that I like a lot, even if it seems to be mainly on my BH wing.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Mahmood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahmood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 12:59am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

how is calibra LT plus in opening loops against backspin, over the table or just out...???

can you open loops by brushing the top of the ball? 

+1
I wanna know the answer of this question too.
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Mahmood Mahmood wrote:

Big smile

yup yup, calibra lt plus does not have a flat trajectory as some would say. let me expound on "the catapult effect" opinion a bit.. i meant you could really feel the bounciness of the rubber when you are far away from the table. you can most appreciate calibra lt plus that way
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

Mahmood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahmood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 9:55pm

Big smile

yup yup, calibra lt plus does not have a flat trajectory as some would say. let me expound on "the catapult effect" opinion a bit.. i meant you could really feel the bounciness of the rubber when you are far away from the table. you can most appreciate calibra lt plus that way

By catapult effect I mean, if you are close to the table and the ball is high enough for smashing, does it explode when you smash this kinda ball?

And also:
Can you spin with it?
How about brush looping? Can you start a slow loop?
Any idea about durability? And the tension durability?

Thanks for the answers.
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 10:36pm
yes you can spin with it, yes i used it today as a fh a little bit and you can brush loop, slow loop, the slowest i have done i consider it has a bit of speed on it but still consider slow so i say yes durability, i have calibra lt plus 3 months and 10 days and it plays like new, speed, spin its still great i havent notice any speed decrease yet nor spin, still bouncy like the first day, like i said i think this rubber will last me another 3 months 
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 10:51pm

Big smile

<br ="Apple-interchange-newline">By catapult effect I mean, if you are close to the table and the ball is high enough for smashing, does it explode when you smash this kinda ball?
And also:
Can you spin with it?
How about brush looping? Can you start a slow loop?
Any idea about durability? And the tension durability?
Thanks for the answers.

answering your first question: i'd say it sort of feels a little deader when you smash above the table with calibra lt plus compared to desto f1. but its just i little...

question 2: yes you can spin with it, in fact (again this is objective and is restricted to my style) i was able to generate more spin with it than with tenergy 05

question 3: yes you can start a slow loop

question 4: i cant answer about durability, except that it plays better now that it is a month old, it felt crappier when it was freshly purchased
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

Mahmood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahmood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 5:48am
Ok, Its time for me to get Calibra LT Big smile
Any of famouse players use Calibra?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 8:18am
Stiga sponsored ones; Lundqvist, Gerell, Saive..
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 8:26am
Gerell and Lundqvist use Boost TC, Saive uses Calibra LT.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 8:46am
Still? I thought they switched recently. I remember seeing them playing with LT (sponge color), I'm not sure though. 
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 9:09am

Ok, Its time for me to get Calibra LT Big smile
Any of famouse players use Calibra?

remember i'm using CALIBRA LT PLUS, not CALIBRA LT. CALIBRA LT PLUS has a harder sponge than CALIBRA LT
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic