Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tournaments in Georgia, S.C., Alabama?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RankAmateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tournaments in Georgia, S.C., Alabama?
    Posted: 01/30/2012 at 5:52pm
Any tournaments in Atlanta or other areas in Georgia, Alabama or South Carolina coming up this year?

Edited by RankAmateur - 01/30/2012 at 7:08pm
Sponsored Links

gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 7:25am
Originally posted by RankAmateur RankAmateur wrote:

Any tournaments in Atlanta or other areas in Georgia, Alabama or South Carolina coming up this year?
There's a tournament scheduled in Atlanta for March 11th. There's also a two star which is not advertised yet, also in Atlanta, scheduled for June 2nd and 3rd. The June 2nd and third will also include a Hardbat event with $600+ pricefund sponsored by Valor Table Tennis.

CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 1:02pm
Thanks for the info!

Do you know if that tournament in March breaks people up per ability, or, barring that, if the people there are going to be really good?  Never played in a tournament.  We're very new to this sport--only got table in November last year, kids never even touched a ball prior to last fall--and I'm sure we're no blasted good at all yet.  Just didn't want to make 450 mile round trip, hotel, etc. to get blown away and learn nothing more than how to take repeated smashes to the chest and face with good humor.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 1:25pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Georgia Senior and Junior Open

Thanks for the info! 

It would work perfectly from my perspective, but perhaps, for one thing.  As it is a state "Open", does this usually mean the people are likely to be really good?  I assume they don't break things up per USATT rating (which I'm so new to the sport as to not even have). 

My concern would be that we'd be WAY out of our league and just fodder for even the worst players there.  I really have no good idea how good we're getting, but it can't be very good since our experience with real equipment only goes back a couple months and my kids haven't even played 6 months with any equipment.  I don't want the first experience for the boys to be one of utter futility (or me for that matter).  Anybody have any notion of this?  Do beginners play in state opens?
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 3:12pm
there are quite of bit of decent juniors in the state, a few around or over 2000. Don't know if they'll play a no star tournament though...
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 5:50pm
Thanks for the info.  "No star".  Now I know something in my ignorance that I need to look up, that may be the key.  If there's a such a thing as a "no star" player, I and my boys with a few months experience surely qualify, so maybe this is the tournament for us!
unkn0wn0ne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:42pm
We have two tournaments coming up in Charleston area of South Carolina in January & February 2015

Please click on two links below

Giant Round Robin Singles

U-3600 Teams & Charity event U-3000 Teams

Edited by unkn0wn0ne - 11/23/2014 at 12:43pm
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 3:13pm
You can find all USA Table Tennis sanctioned tournaments here.

There is a box to search by state.  Most clubs don't register their tournaments too far in advance because it costs money.  So check fairly often.

I see one event in Atlanta in March, but the format might not be ideal for you.  It looks like they are grouping by ability, but in groups of four.   Those four all play each other, and the top twio go on to a playoff round.  That means half the people only get to play three matches (the two bottom in each group of four).  That isn't good value for a long drive/hotel, IMO.

If you can find a tournament that is really Giant Round Robin style, that normally means all the entries are put in order from strongest to weakest.  Then they divide into groups of 10 or 11 players, who all play each other round-robin, thus the name.  So you are guaranteed 9 - 10 matches, barring forfeits. 10 best-of-five matches is a pretty full day. 

To play a USATT event you must join, and they will let you estimate your rating.  This is not a big deal, very soon it will settle wherever is right.  So maybe say you and your kids are 600, or 800, that should get you into the lowest group.  You may lose in that group, even lose badly, but you will not be playing against the best players, and all of your matches should be fun, and recognizable as the same game you play at home.  

Watching the best players (not playing them)  is really a trip if you have never seen it, and will inspire you to learn some of their stuff and destroy your friends with it.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 3:17pm
PS If you feel like driving to Lakeland Florida (close to Orlando), they have 5-6 giant round robin tournaments a year, and you would not be overwhelmed in the lowest group if you have been playing a year, as long as you play mostly by the rules, or are willing to learn.  Plus, there is free pizza and cookies.
Here is their URL (link button failed for some reason).

http://www.floridatt.com/lakelandtt/page.php?11
unkn0wn0ne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

To play a USATT event you must join,

LOL I was thinking about this. We are lucky we can run all kinds of unsanctioned events here in USA (or Canada) but in just about rest of the world police may be at your door to arrest you or a politician at your door asking for cut of the revenue proceeds.

In India for example (& I believe in many many countries) there is a sports ministry that has usually no clue about any sport controls all aspects of sports.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is always involved in some corruption scandal and never ends. People see the money and want a cut. The Commonwealth Games held in New Delhi also was a prime example.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic