FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Clan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 11:49am
Not used the Color, but I can understand why some people love the Expert and some don't. You have to really enjoy flexy 5-ply all-wood blades to get on with the Expert. If you do, it's one of the best you can get. If you don't (like me), it's not going to change your mind, although I can see why it's thought of so highly.

Spartacus is less focussed than the Expert. It still has some gears, ALL+ in softer shots, OFF- in bigger loops. It has the bite to bring the ball down sharply, so it makes the close game really sweet. Also easy to lift short backspin, and offers a lot of tolerance for slightly overhit shots. It feels like a small, yappy dog over the table, snapping at the ball. Great fun. So easy to find the corners with it, but lacks a bit of put-away power.

The only thing I'll say about Spart is that you have to add your own power from any kind of distance. It doesn't flex much, and the top end is a bit limited when compared to Calix, Calix 2, Qabod, Oscar etc. I'm struggling with a stomach injury at the moment, so it became more obvious than usual last night.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

The only thing I'll say about Spart is that you have to add your own power from any kind of distance. It doesn't flex much, and the top end is a bit limited when compared to Calix, Calix 2, Qabod, Oscar etc. I'm struggling with a stomach injury at the moment, so it became more obvious than usual last night.

I'm still struggling NOT to try Spartacus, but I know sooner or later I'll surrender.
It this what you would define as the main difference between Spartacus, Calix, and Calix II?
For me, Calix was a bit too flexy; Calix II is great but less foregiving on overhit shots. So I guess Spartacus would be the right compromise?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I'm still struggling NOT to try Spartacus, but I know sooner or later I'll surrender.
It this what you would define as the main difference between Spartacus, Calix, and Calix II?
For me, Calix was a bit too flexy; Calix II is great but less foregiving on overhit shots. So I guess Spartacus would be the right compromise?

I had a similar issue with the original Calix - liked the feel, seemed quite magical with its slow speed control.  But the two-speed behavior was tricky, and needed careful rubber selection (for me, anyway).  I'm sure it's just my style of play.  Calix 2 sorted that out, but it's faster across the whole range.  Definitely closer to a "normal" OFF blade.

Spart is a good compromise in speed terms.  More linear for sure.  Both Calix models are faster when driving hard.  When you hit with Spart, eveything goes on, but it's just not as deadly as a full blooded smack with the Calix twins.  With Spart I tend to loop drive everything to add a bit of something to each shot.  Extra sidespin is useful too.  Spart also has an advantage with serving.  Counter loop is really easy, so you get into some dramatic rallies.  Adds to the joy factor.

The feel is very different though.  Softer, stiffer.  It has a strange feel on harder shots.  Not "hollow" as such - others have described it as a "brittle" feel.  Maybe "dry"?  Low density?  Difficult to put into words I suppose, but it doesn't feel as solid as either Calix.  I love it, but everyone will have a different opinion of course.  And heavier ones might have less of this (mine is 82g).
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2013 at 8:32am
Mine is 84g and "feels" solid enough (a little less so than my Treiber) but that is not a bad thing. It still feels right to me and not hollow like most all woods feel. As mentioned above you need to add more to your swing if you want a powerful shot and this can be seen as a good or bad thing. Good to me because I like to be the first to attack and maintain that attack. Spart allows me to swing bigger, sooner and closer to the table. Now while the shot may be slower than a more powerful blade (like my Treiber) I land much higher percentage of 1st attacks on the table and with more venom (spin/placement) because I have more confidence I can land the shot. To people who stand back off the table you will need to put more drive into your shots to make returns difficult for you opponent. If you have a good stroke then the blade may be still fast enough even off the table with the right rubbers.

I am tempted to try the Calix now but I will stick with this beauty for a few weeks 1st. I am not sure any change is needed.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
nexy.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nexy.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2013 at 4:36am

Hello nexy clan members,

We will recruit testers with the launch of a new blade which is the Peterpan. The Peterpan blade has 5 ply wood and burnning in the middle of head.

It's similar to Lissom which is also nexy blade. http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1162

I'll choose 3 testers in nexy clan members for the test. Who want to be tester for the Peterpan? 

I always appreciate your support of nexy. thank you.

Please check the below link.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59073&PN=1#709677

True joy table tennis
Nexy
Everything you need for tabletennis: nexyttstore.com
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2013 at 5:07am
It might be good if a few testers have experience with Lissom - a solid comparison between the two would be useful...
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2013 at 9:43am
Arg0,
my shoe size is 46
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2013 at 3:23pm
I have used Lissom (thanks to PeterC) so please tentatively put me down as one tester for Perterpan.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2013 at 7:10pm
Current contenders for the Petra Shoes:
Rich215, EU 44
thethinker, US 8.5 = EU 41.5
GoldenDragoon, EU 45
metalone, EU 42
PingPongHolic10, EU 46

Contest closes on Sunday, 23:59 GMT.
I'm going to be offline for few days and announce the winner on Monday evening or Tuesday.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2013 at 8:34pm
I'm Euro 44.5 = I think that is 10.5 U.S....count me in.

Rich215, EU 44
GoldenDragoon, EU 45
metalone, EU 42
PingPongHolic10, EU 46

I'm going to be offline for few days and announce the winner on Monday evening or Tuesday.
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2013 at 1:33am
Rich215, EU 44
GoldenDragoon, EU 45
metalone, EU 42
PingPongHolic10, EU 46
Toprank, EU 44.5

Join the Nexy Clan!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2013 at 10:57am
I think even arg0 will like the Peter Pan. I got a quick hit with one of the prototype blade (also bought a pair of Petra shoes) and it plays faster than Lissom. There will be some Peter pan flying around the globe and bouncing around the forum, so I won't spill too many beans about it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 6:57am
Edit: whoops, empty post.

NEXY Petra shoes.

Now I can finally talk about shoe sizes. It's always tricky to order shoes online. To start with, different manufacturers have different "interpretations" of a same size. To complicate things, conversion charts between different international units sometimes differ significantly.

I ordered the Petra shoes, based on the size of my current Asics TT shoes, but found out that they are slightly bigger than I expected. Now, this was probably my bad, as I forgot that I was advised to order my Asics shoes about half size bigger than my normal street shoes, because Asics shoes tend to be smallish. So I ended up with a size 275 which is too big for me. Actually, the Petra shoes are at least 5mm bigger than my Asics shoes. I also noted that the insole is marked "45", but the shoes are smaller than EU 45.
Now, after a detailed measurement of the inner length of the Petra shoes, and comparison with my Asics shoes and other street shoes of mine, I can say with reasonable certainty that the Petra are EU size 44 and metric size of about 282mm.

So the winner is.... Rich215 (I'm sending you PM).
Thanks to all participants.

Edited by arg0 - 04/02/2013 at 7:28am
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 7:46am
As proof, here are some pictures (right click and select download/view for original size).

Join the Nexy Clan!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 8:35am
Just out of intrest I had a hit a mates ZJK blade tonight with 05 FH and compared it to my Spart with FX-P FH. It was amazing how much better the control is on the spart. Its so easy to do touch shots short over the net or short slow loops. Top speed was similar with perhaps the Spart being a touch quicker, not much in it though. Spart easily had more spin... Trying to resist the urge to order a Calix and see how it compares. Spart is such a good blade to play games with....
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I think even arg0 will like the Peter Pan. I got a quick hit with one of the prototype blade (also bought a pair of Petra shoes) and it plays faster than Lissom. There will be some Peter pan flying around the globe and bouncing around the forum, so I won't spill too many beans about it.

If PeterPan is a faster Lissom, then it's definitely a candidate for being my next blade!
If you're not sworn to secrecy, feel free to post your impressions.
Join the Nexy Clan!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:49am
Calix is a different experience. Harder feel, better for hitting than Spart. Both unique, fascinating blades, but from how you've been discussing the Spart so far, Calix might move you away from the qualities you like so much. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 7:08pm
From what I imagine the Calix "should" be better for looping, but does it have the great touch/control of the spart?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 7:56pm
Announced yesterday, but no April fools: Peterpan is now for sale on nexy.com.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:38pm
For only $80 its almost worth getting one "just cause"....
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 1:14am
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

For only $80 its almost worth getting one "just cause"....

After all the rave, I'm actually almost tempted to get a Spartacus, "just 'cause"...  Wink
Join the Nexy Clan!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 12:01pm

From what I imagine the Calix "should" be better for looping, but does it have the great touch/control of the spart?

I prefer softer blades for looping myself, but that's just me.

Calix has a lot more flex.  It's excellent over the table for the short game due to hard outer ply and slight braking effect.  On bigger shots it speeds up a lot - less linear than Spart.  It comes down to soft/hard feel and stiff/flexy behaviour.

Spart has the best control in its category - laser guided - but lacks a bit of punch.  Calix has the solidity to be a proper OFF blade, but with a good short game.  I moved away from Calix due to its big flex - the gears were too wide for me.  If you like flexy blades, this won't be a problem for you.

Personally, I'm foaming at the mouth for Arirang.  That could be the Spart with a bit of extra grunt behind it.  If so - wow.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 12:16pm
Can I join the clan please? I've used Calix, Calix II & Qabod. Right now, the Qabod is my main blade (I have two of them).
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Can I join the clan please? I've used Calix, Calix II & Qabod. Right now, the Qabod is my main blade (I have two of them).

Sure, I've updated the list of Clan members.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 1:02pm

Personally, I'm foaming at the mouth for Arirang.  That could be the Spart with a bit of extra grunt behind it.  If so - wow.

+1 ......though not foaming.....only salivating.   LOL

And on a second note,  I proudly give my 3000'th post to the Nexy ClanThumbs Up

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Wow, impressive. This deserves a celebration! BeerParty
Join the Nexy Clan!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 7:06pm

I prefer softer blades for looping myself, but that's just me.

Calix has a lot more flex.  It's excellent over the table for the short game due to hard outer ply and slight braking effect.  On bigger shots it speeds up a lot - less linear than Spart.  It comes down to soft/hard feel and stiff/flexy behaviour.

Spart has the best control in its category - laser guided - but lacks a bit of punch.  Calix has the solidity to be a proper OFF blade, but with a good short game.  I moved away from Calix due to its big flex - the gears were too wide for me.  If you like flexy blades, this won't be a problem for you.

Thats pretty much what I was expecting from it. Its only $150 now so I am thinking of giving it a try. My only real grip in a game with the Spart is the lack of punch it sometimes has compared to some of the stuff I have used. That said good shots still rarely come back however the higher the level you play, the more decent stopping power matters.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2013 at 1:31am

Thats pretty much what I was expecting from it. Its only $150 now so I am thinking of giving it a try. My only real grip in a game with the Spart is the lack of punch it sometimes has compared to some of the stuff I have used. That said good shots still rarely come back however the higher the level you play, the more decent stopping power matters.

Or you could give Calix II a try. It's the same blade as Calix, but with a 0.5mm thicker core layer (5.4mm thick instead of 4.9mm). That makes it more linear and less flexible. The absorbing power is still there. I found it more predictable and easier to control than Calix.

Join the Nexy Clan!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2013 at 6:30am

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Wow, impressive. This deserves a celebration! BeerParty
Congrats dude!  I hope you brought cake!  I was promised that this thread would have cake.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 6:13am
Rich215 sent me the following detailed comparison of Lissom and Spartacus by PM.
I'm posting it here with his permission.
I anonymised the name of a third person, just as precaution.

Originally posted by Rich215 (as PM to arg0) Rich215 (as PM to arg0) wrote:

The Spartacus felt like a very different blade to my compared to the Lissom in the same weight (80g). Forum member *** lives close to me and allowed me to test both. He is responsible for my new main blade the Spartacus!

The Lissom to me felt very out of control and very high throw angle in comparison. I also did not like the vibrations from the Lissom. I normally like some vibrations, but the ones I got from that one specific Lissom were very odd to me. I tested them in about 20 minutes back and forth while counter hitting with ***. He is pretty high level compared to me (well over US 2000), but when I hit with the Spartacus with him....my counters were incredibly accurate and I could barely keep the ball on the table with the Lissom. I was pretty shocked because all I have read and some that I have talked to about the Lissom, made me feel this was a good blade for me possibly. I tested both blades with Rakza soft 2.0 on both sides as it lets me feel the blade well. I now use either Rakza regular 2.0, or Rakza soft max. I use same on both side. Now I have 2 Spartacus blades set up with those rubbers.

For me when I tested those 2 blades, The Spartacus is definitely faster and lower throw with a much snappier response. (I tend to like medium-low throw blades or setups) I think the hinoki top ply really give it the drastically different feel and throw angle with the composite, though the composite layer is well below the top ply under the 2nd layer. The Spartacus may feel much different with other rubbers, like bluefire, EVO, Tenergy, or other more heavy dense rubbers compared to Rakza, which I like so much and cant leave mainly because of the lighter weight and feel. I have not wanted to try any newer ESN rubbers mainly because of the weight. My setups on the Spartacus's are 174, and 176g, one with the soft max is the lighter one and my main one.

Maybe this will give you some insight about the Spartacus you did not read yet. Just before I tried the Lissom and Spartacus, one of my other club mates let me hit with his Innerforce ZLF again after I tried it last summer. It felt better than the time before when he had T05 and Hexer HD on it.... he is now using regular Hexer on both side because of weight. That blade feels incredible, but very slow. High level of control but just very dull and slow to me. I almost got one, but I did not after seeing how tiny the ST handles are on all the new Bty blades. I would say the Spartacus is like the I-ZLF but faster and much crisper with the Hinoki top ply.

Though that Arirang blade might be slightly fast for my needs.... but it is also the only other blade I would be interested in trying.
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic