Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Thickness for Short Pips Sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flaredpenhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaredpenhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thickness for Short Pips Sponge
    Posted: 03/29/2012 at 6:37pm
I am thinking about getting a short pips for chinese penhold style.  

I had 802-40 in mind. However, I don't know how the sponge thickness will affect the play, especially with short pips. I am thinking about getting 2.0 or 2.2mm and I'm using it for the forehand.

Any advice?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2012 at 10:15am
if you're gonna use it on the fh and like to attack then get the 2.2 as the 2.0 will be too slow.  You will probably have better control with the 2.2 as well.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
amateur101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2012 at 5:07pm
For penhold, Use 1.8 or 1.9 mm sponge.
Gao Jun advised me previously to go for thinner sponge (since I use 2.1 mm Spectol pips).
Stiga Clipper CR-WRB
FH/BH - TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by amateur101 amateur101 wrote:

For penhold, Use 1.8 or 1.9 mm sponge.
Gao Jun advised me previously to go for thinner sponge (since I use 2.1 mm Spectol pips).
Cool--did you get coaching from Gao Jun?  Or is she a friend? 
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by flaredpenhold flaredpenhold wrote:

I am thinking about getting a short pips for chinese penhold style.  

I had 802-40 in mind. However, I don't know how the sponge thickness will affect the play, especially with short pips. I am thinking about getting 2.0 or 2.2mm and I'm using it for the forehand.

Any advice?? Thanks.

For a shakehander you'd want to use 2.1-2.2mm sponge with short pips.  For a traditional penholder like Gao Jun, 1.9-2.0mm is best, since you'll be doing a lot of open-face blocking against strong topspin.

--As a general rule, shakehand grips allow easier closed-angle bh blocking and follow-through with short pips, so use as thick sponge as you can handle to increase speed.

--Penhold grips allow more precise open-face blocking and smashing, but difficult to execute closed-angle bh blocks, so you don't want something too fast.  1.9mm sponge is ideal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 2:29am
Originally posted by capablanca8 capablanca8 wrote:

Gao Jun was not my coach but she had seen me play against her student (friendly match) and was nice enough to answer my questions regarding sponge thickness for pips and proper choice of blades to use (and by the way, when I brought out my blades, she chose the Clipper CR over the Avalox 700).

I asked her directly about the sponge thickness I should use (as a shakehand player) and her response was to go thinner - 1.7 to 1.9 mm.
 I was of the belief that thicker is better for shakehanders but that is the statement I heard (unless I simply misunderstood the answer).

Hats off to Gao Jun, a real classy lady.

Stiga Clipper CR-WRB
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 5:19am
Originally posted by amateur101 amateur101 wrote:

Gao Jun was not my coach but she had seen me play against her student (friendly match) and was nice enough to answer my questions regarding sponge thickness for pips and proper choice of blades to use (and by the way, when I brought out my blades, she chose the Clipper CR over the Avalox 700).

I asked her directly about the sponge thickness I should use (as a shakehand player) and her response was to go thinner - 1.7 to 1.9 mm.
 I was of the belief that thicker is better for shakehanders but that is the statement I heard (unless I simply misunderstood the answer).

Hats off to Gao Jun, a real classy lady.

why did she chose clipper CR instead p700 and what sponge for 802?? dawei,mystery?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 1:11pm
[/QUOTE]

why did she chose clipper CR instead p700 and what sponge for 802?? dawei,mystery?
[/QUOTE]

Gao Jun did not elaborate why she preferred the Clipper CR (non-WRB) over the Avalox 700 and the Juic Texalium.

As for the sponges, I only showed her my TSP Spectol 21 rubbers of various thicknesses. 

Stiga Clipper CR-WRB
snerdly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 6:13pm
Thinner sponge helps to keep the ball short when blocking, very important if blocking is a staple in your game.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 7:39pm
I find I play a lot better with max thickness (Raystorm 2.1 on my BH, T05 in my forehand).  Where I notice it the most is blocking heavy loops and very fast balls.  When I used 1.9 it felt great but I couldn't bring as many balls back and my offensive shots lacked just a little of the penetration that the needed.  When I taped myself and actually made some comparisons, it was clear I was playing better with thicker rubber.

Having said that, most of the Chinese penholders I know who use SP prefer thinner sponge, mostly they use 1.5 and find even 1.9 too thick. It's a different way to play than what shakehanders do with SP.  The rubber is pretty inexpensive, you could try it both ways, it's really the only way to know what works for you.

Edited by Baal - 03/31/2012 at 7:43pm
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 12:14pm
My coach told me to start with 2.0mm sponge.  He said that in the future, I might want to go to 1.8mm or even 1.5mm.  It has been 6 months and 2.0mm is fine for me in terms of power and speed.  I am a penhold player and use it for FH.

I suspect that serving wih 2.0mm sponge is better than with 1.5mm sponge.  I think with 1.5mm sponge one might want to twiddle between serving and hitting.
franky101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franky101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 12:52pm
What about the type of sponge for short pips?  Should it soft or hard in general.  I know it all depends on the individual and the playing style.  but, which is better in terms of serves, generating spin, hittting speed, controls,.............................etc.
chalo_sterling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalo_sterling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2012 at 11:45am
in general

for speed and hitting -> hard sponge -> commonly used by very offensive style and hitters... the classic use

for spin variation and control -> soft sponge -> commonly used by a more versatile style

but there are soft sponges faster than hard sponges... also depends of the sheet... pips hardness

Edited by chalo_sterling - 12/22/2012 at 11:52am
Blade: Stiga Clipper CC

Forehand rubber: DHS TG Skyline 3 NEO

Backhand rubber: Xiom Zava I
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2012 at 12:24pm
yang shigang (2600 SP CPEN player) uses max thickness 802-40. Without glue these days, u just can't hit hard enough w/ anything less than max.

Edited by dalamchops - 12/22/2012 at 12:24pm
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2012 at 2:45pm
1.8~2.0 mm works best. If you have good technique,  I suggest 1.5 mm

Edited by ChichoFicho - 12/22/2012 at 3:12pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2012 at 3:01pm

My coach told me to start with 2.0mm sponge.  He said that in the future, I might want to go to 1.8mm or even 1.5mm.  It has been 6 months and 2.0mm is fine for me in terms of power and speed.  I am a penhold player and use it for FH.

I suspect that serving wih 2.0mm sponge is better than with 1.5mm sponge.  I think with 1.5mm sponge one might want to twiddle between serving and hitting.

i dont think you play cpen seriously with 1.5mm.. i think would be useful use a very fast blade with 1.9mm  than slow blade with max
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by franky101 franky101 wrote:

What about the type of sponge for short pips?  Should it soft or hard in general.  I know it all depends on the individual and the playing style.  but, which is better in terms of serves, generating spin, hittting speed, controls,.............................etc.

One and the same sponge feels harder with SP and softer with inverted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic