Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Review: Galaxy Mars II Tuned Provincial (41 deg)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Galaxy Mars II Tuned Provincial (41 deg)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Galaxy Mars II Tuned Provincial (41 deg)
    Posted: 04/10/2012 at 3:55pm
First of all, many thanks to Imago - he sent me this rubber free of charge (just S&H). I was interested as I hoped that this rubber will a) solve my problem with Mars II 2.3 mm (thickness there is just a tad above legal), and b) improve control and spin (although I was already pretty happy with that)

So - here it is, ladies and gentlemen -  Mars II 41 deg 2.1 mm (Black) Tuned Provincial (below I will refer to it as Mars 41-TP):

Weight: 66 g uncut, 47-48 g cut to a regularly sized blade (just as 2.3 mm Mars II 41 deg)
Tackiness: virtually none
Thickness: 2.1 mm
Hardness: 41 deg (feels more like 39)

Here are some pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/GalaxyMarsIITuned

And here they are again

Rubber had a very prominent (but not unpleasant) smell reminiscent of fresh booster. It also already had a thin glue layer - probably to help keep the tuner inside. It was, of course, vacuum-packed.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 3:55pm
First impressions:

basically my main feeling on hardness - feels like 39 not like 41. Meaning that 41 TP due to all the tuner feels and plays more like 39 deg than the 41 I had before - and mind you, they are all Black, so there is no this Red-Black difference issue.

So I will go and compare TP version with Regular 2.3 mm

Pros (TP)

Generally a bit more control than Regular
A little less speed than Regular
A slightly lower throw angle than Regular
Better short game and spin in short loops than Regular
Plays great in FH blocking, places the ball low and with good precision
Passive game is at least as good with TP than with Regular
Better at opening loops

Cons (TP)

Counter-looping is noticeably worse than 41 Regular
Flat game is a bit worse than 41 Regular, a touch less power
Less confidence when playing far off the table, bottoms out sooner than Regular
Less power in kill loops and fast hard drives

Miscellaneous

Spin - didn't feel a lot of difference
Chop, general defense - more or less same when close to the table
Thickness - TP passes thickness control, 41 Regular 2.3 is questionable

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 3:57pm
By the way, can someone translate the words on this special label - this one was not present on regular Mars II

https://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/GalaxyMarsIITuned#5729861181674249778

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 4:00pm
it just says which provincial team this rubber is provided for.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Mike7381 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike7381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 6:21pm
Any difference between the untuned one compare to this? 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 12:06am
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

wow, so many hieroglyphs and it's just the name of the team? Big smile

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 1:16am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Actually, the new moon / sun pro rubbers have the same label too :)
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Mike7381 Mike7381 wrote:

Any difference between the untuned one compare to this? 

Fortunately, there is no deterioration. What has been said of Mars 2 is true of Mars 2 TP, the only difference being the slightly tuned up and preglued sponge, as well as the self-adhesive protector. This is very much reassuring that one can rely on a Chinese rubber throughout several subsequent batches and modifications. In the last month, I have tried all hardness labels from 33 to 41 and they correspond to their face value within the acceptable range of deviation.

Good, modest rubber you can rely on. It shines on flexible blades under 6 mm.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 7:49am

It is true that the old Mars 2 39 black felt more like the red 41.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 9:03am
I have updated the review- see my impressions in post #2.

My general conclusion - this is a great rubber for

a) players using hard surface OFF blades like Stiga Clipper and similar Stiga-like blades with harder outer layers

b) players who stay close to the table and need better control over the table, good FH block even against hard fast balls from the opponent

c) players who like softer, more controlled opening loops than 41 Regular or PME 47.5 or Xiom Omega 4 Asia

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

It is true that the old Mars 2 39 black felt more like the red 41.

Yes but I am comparing Black rubbers and I am saying that 41 TP certainly feels softer 1-2 degrees compared to Mars 41 Regular

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2012 at 2:07am

The black rubber. The red one this time feels harder by 1-2 degrees than the regular rubber, but still there are comparative deviations from the general observation. Yesterday, I opened a red 33 that was 35, and a black 37 that was 40 when measured with Shore C durometer. In this case, the black one was by 1 degree relatively harder than the red one.

JimT, what is the blade you are testing the rubber on?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

The black rubber. The red one this time feels harder by 1-2 degrees than the regular rubber, but still there are comparative deviations from the general observation. Yesterday, I opened a red 33 that was 35, and a black 37 that was 40 when measured with Shore C durometer. In this case, the black one was by 1 degree relatively harder than the red one.
JimT, what is the blade you are testing the rubber on?

So for all the TP versions Red is harder than Black? or only for 33-35-37? I wonder what Red 41 feels like...

All tested on BBC Ultima.

P.S. Judging by the latest news from Imago, Red 41 TP feels 2 degs softer than Black 41 TP. Just as I thought..  Wink

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2012 at 12:06pm

Actually it's 5 provincial teams + 2 provincial youth teams LOL
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2012 at 1:35am
It is odd that the red Mar2 TP is softer then the black Mar2 TP; is it because of the tuner?

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2012 at 2:27am

It not only does feel softer, it is measured to be softer by 2 degrees - both from the topsheet and from the sponge. I ply the rubber to achieve 8 mm thickness.

It's vice versa in 33 and 35 degrees, the black one is softer there.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 2:36pm
Received some regular mars2 (36 degree) today from China. It all says tuned (in Chinese) on the package. The back is protected by another transparent film, like DHS Neo or Haifu. However, It does not come with a rubber sticky protection sheet and no special label. So what is the real different between pro and regular mar2?

So stupid, my coach may not want this batch of mar2 since it can be softer than a regular 36 degree Dead

RL
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 2:43pm
Honestly I didn't feel much diff between Tuned and Regular version - like 41 Tuned 2.1 mm was playing similar to Reg 39-40 2.3 mm, imho. But I cannot claim this as an absolute truth, ya know?

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2012 at 3:34am
galaxy seem to be playing a tactic of coming up with a new name and a new color ....for every new batch of rubber.

And we are buying into that game. 

truth be said.. while i find galaxy blades pretty good... i didn;t find a single galaxy rubber(with or without tuning) that has feel or consistency of even the worst tensor that came out in last 3 years.

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2012 at 11:40am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

galaxy seem to be playing a tactic of coming up with a new name and a new color ....for every new batch of rubber.

And we are buying into that game. 

truth be said.. while i find galaxy blades pretty good... i didn;t find a single galaxy rubber(with or without tuning) that has feel or consistency of even the worst tensor that came out in last 3 years.

I dunno - I found Mars II pretty consistent. Honest. Venus (old one) was also pretty reliable - not fully teh rubber to my liking but consistent.

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2012 at 6:43pm
I search taobao and found only 1 version of Mars 2. Some with the green sticker some not but they are all priced about the same. Is there really a pro version of it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic