Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Amazon Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Amazon Reviews
    Posted: 05/12/2012 at 12:33pm
I will link reviews for the AMAZON here in the SECOND post of this thread for all members who review the AMAZON and post their reviews

Blade: Nexy Amazon
Handle: ST
Weight: 83 grams

First look: Pretty

Speed: OFF Minus

Feel: Soft and this thing vibrates. Feels kinda like a W-6 or detuned Stiga OFF classic, but this plays like none of them, has its own character

How Tested: FH Tibhar Aurus and BH Globe 999 over Quattro 42 degree 2.2 After getting the AMAZON Thursday at Nexy HQ, I went promptly to ACE Bucheon club and played a lot of players, many near my level. I also played the coach, who had to spot me 6 points. SIX points! That dude was good, played a Joo Se Hyuk style and prolly was 2500+ easy. The owner of that club is also 2500 est, a natl div 1 athlete.

First Impressions: Lightish blade with my Chinese rubber on one side feels slightly head heavy. Put some Nexy purchased TSP grip tape on it and it balanced it nicely. Thing vibrates. I am so used to feel of Timo Boll Spirit and next to no vibration, or at least less at a different frequency. Still, the shots landed. AMAZON obviously does not have the top end power of a TBS, but my finishing shots still went by my opponents. Serves went in with same spin and my follow up attacks landed with good spin and less pace than TBS. This blade forces you to setup your attack, open with spin, rally a bit and finish. I always end up with a better game later when I use a soft, slower Nexy blade for a month of testing, then go back to TBS, always. Was like this with Lissom, was like this with Spear, and was like this with Spartacus.

I played again today at my club. Played vs a gent who was a tough cookie. He could fish about anything, until you blasted it right at him. Had to do a lot of opening and spining the ball up to get a chance to try to put one away, but he was real good at retrieving them. Had to do a lot of BH flicks and loops of halflong serves. Had to block at the table and counter. Thing that stands out is that this blade will spin the ball and receive well those slow halflong serves that a faster blade requies you to slow down your swing.

AMAZON is not for me as the marketing blurb goes. It shaped up to be a blade that let you control the spin and rally away... eventually come out on top.

Who is this blade for: Attacking inverted players who want a spinny blade that is not a rocket. Modern defenders might like the touch, the ability to put on the brakes, and the spin on attacking. Allround players will love this thing.

Level of reviewer: I play Ujeongbu city div 2 which players range from 1900-2100 est USATT.

Playing style of reviewer: All-out attacker with some flexibility and sometimes go into a passive allround shell (like a Schildkrot Turtle!) at times. I like to play a 2 winged attacking game using a serve to setup a power finish, or a heavy topspin shot to setup a power finish. I block close to the table and counter further away from table. I like to use the BH to receive serves over 70 of the table with a BH flick or I loop if I see it long. On serve, I am aggressive attacking. On serve recieve, I am aggressive, but if I cannot read the serve, I push to an inconvenient location and look to block the opener wide angle and rally it out. When facing a ball to my extreme BH away from table, I will chop.

Hope to see a lot of reviews coming.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 12:34pm
I will link reviews to the AMAZON below. Thanks for making a review.

arg0's Review

elpasott 1st Notes

128YinYang's Review

Edited by BH-Man - 06/04/2012 at 9:46pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 4:10pm
Thanks for the review. That really sounds like a blade that suits my style. Too bad mine has been blocked at the customs for three days. Hope they'll let it through on Monday.

BH-Man, how would you compare Amazon and Lissom?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 10:22pm
Lissom has less speed and more control on topspins, although AMAZON is almost as controlable as it gets for FH and BH topspins.

AMAZON is slightly lighter.

Lissom has a little more dwell.

Amazon has a little more rebound.

Lissom looks plain jane and AMAZON has graphics.

Playing Lisson for a month or so daily really helped me stop going for 3rd ball powerloop kills, because it is hard to powerloop anything thorugh a good div 1 player using Lissom. Lissom forced me to focus on spin and placement before getting a ball to go hog-wild. That helped my game go up a lot as I either gained points or lost them right there. AMAZON shapes up to be somewhat like this for my game, although I no longer go for powerloop kils as first automatic reaction on 3rd ball, unless the opponennt left one side wide open, which usually doesn't happen often with the div 1 crowd.
xander7803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xander7803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 10:34pm
so which of the Nexy blades could compare to Korbel?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2012 at 3:01am
Originally posted by xander7803 xander7803 wrote:

so which of the Nexy blades could compare to Korbel?

That's a bit OT here (unless the answer is Amazon, lol). Anyway, if you mean the original Korbel, Nexy Spear could be close, although I haven't played either.
Join the Nexy Clan!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2012 at 8:55am
Korbel is rated by BTY as OFF and I would rate SPEAR as OFF Minus or very low OFF range. I have never hit with a Korbel, so I wouldn't be able to make a direct comparison. This would be a good question for NEXY to answer.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2012 at 8:59am
Played again at my club today and played some matches with AMAZON. Drank a few cups of OB Golden Lager and hit the table vs a player who likes to fish with sidespin. Had the same results and generally the same observations. Against this player, i really miss the finishing power of TBS as this opponent could retrieve a lot of my shots with AMAZON that he did not with TBS. This could be a positive as it will force me to find new ways to evolve my game and tactics or fail.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 12:14pm

Had another session with AMAZON today and observe generally the same things. Speed is obviously lower than TBS and after using TBS for a few years, you get used to that speed class and feel. AMAZON is in its own category for speed and intent of use. AMAZON would easily serve as a blade the pundits recommend for use. It is easy to control, not overly fast, vibrates, gives feedback, feels very wooden, is light, and can accomodate popular rubbers.

I am intersted what allround players, continuous loopers, adn modern defensive players think of this blade.
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 2:02pm
I'm waiting on my order from Nexy (it shipped a couple days ago), and when I get my Amazon to test, I'll post a review on here. I'd definitely curious to see how it suits me, since Nexy says it's a very "different" type of blade, and my game is mostly loops and loop-drives.
Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 5:46pm
I had my first two training sessions with Amazon and I was positively impressed. Here is a first review. I'll update it as soon as I have more playing opportunities.

Appearance:
I like blades that have natural colours, so Amazon is my type of blade. I also happen to prefer white ash outer plies: two of my favourite blades ever are Nexy Lissom and Nittaku Violin. In conclusion, I know I'm biased, but Amazon looks great. Craftmanship is very good, as always with Nexy blades. All layers are uniformly thick and the lens is inserted smoothly in the handle. This is something you'd expect, at this price point, but I've found out it's not always the case with other manufacturers.

Handle:
The ST handle is of the traditional squarish type, handle dimesions are about 22x28mm (similar to Lissom, which is however a bit flatter: 21.5x28.5mm). I happen to prefer squarish straight handles to rounded ones, so again Amazon is my type of blade.
When I reviewed Calix, I wrote about Calix having sharper edges on the ST handle than Lissom (and Amazon), and that the flat top and bottom surfaces of the handle made me feel like I was holding a precision instrument. This is also due to Calix having a very smooth handle, that feels more like metal or a hi-tech synthetic material than wood. The handle of Amazon is rougher, and it definitely feels more natural in my hand. I don't know what kind of wood it is made of, but it has a light colour. I suppose that I should better varnish it, or it will easily get stained.

Anatomy:
Nexy Amazon ST, 79g on my scale, 80g on Nexy's.
Construction: 7 ply: 5 wood + 2 carbon. white ash - burned ayous - carbon - Nexy's secret core wood (TM) - carbon - burned ayous - white ash
On my Amazon, resonance frequency at the ball bounce test is 1340 Hz, which is higher than my Lissoms (1180Hz, 1265Hz) and about in the same range as Nexy Calix, Nexy Color, OSP Virtuoso, and Nittaku Acoustic and Tenor, which is pretty interesting for me (if you wonder how I measured the frequency, it's actually very easy).

Test setup:
ditto Nexy Amazon
FH: XIOM Vega pro 2.0
BH: Nittaku Hi Super Drive 1.8

Speed:
The blade's speed is a tad faster than Lissom with the same setup, I'd rate it as ALL+/OFF-, while Lissom is definitively ALL+. Calix is a bit faster, in the upper range of OFF-/lower range of OFF.

Feel:
The blade feels stiffer than Lissom and Calix, and does not vibrate that much. Remember that Lissom and Calix vibrate very strongly, although differently, so this is not to say that Amazon does not vibrate: it just does less. Probably also because it's thicker. The carbon layers are "buried" below thick ayous layers, which act rather effectively as dampers, so the feel is rather soft, even with the outer plies being ash, which is hard. However, the ash layers are thin, so the ayous feel plays a big role here. Some carbon "ping" sound is still present, if you hit hard enough, but the vibrations transmitted to the hand are less persistent than Lissom's and not so sharp as Calix's.

Behaviour:
Depending on how you hit the ball, the blade acts sharp, i.e. with little dwell time (well, still plenty of dwell compared to OFF/OFF+ blades, but less than Lissom). This happens especially with brush shots (sharp pushes, brush loops), I suppose due to the harder white ash plies. If you just brush, it's the outer layer that is primarily engaged. Once you start hitting the ball more fully (hit rather than brush, I think this is what Nexy calls a "bang impact"), the blade shows different properties, i.e. power absorption (ayous layer) and high elasticity (carbon layer). The two factors result in a rather contrasting behaviour: depending on how hard you hit, the carbon layers will more or less cancel out the effect of the ayous layers, and eventually the speed of a return will be different when the relative speed of ball and racket is slow or fast. There is some sort of non-linearity here, which is however different from the non-linearity of Calix, because Calix's non-linearity results from bending of the blade, while non-linearity of Amazon is the result of local compression.

Preliminary conclusion:
I liked the feel of Amazon. It's easy to push and play top spin. Throw is neutral, very close to Lissom. Soft blocks are easy, harder blocks are a bit less predictable. I suppose it's more suitable for close to the table play. I didn't try smashing, chopping, or looping away from the table.
All in all, I felt that for my playing style Amazon is more predictable than Calix. It has to be noted, however, that its top speed is also lower. In the next training, I'll try to compare Amazon and Lissom, my main blade.

About myself:
Basement tt player as a kid, up to university. After a long break, I have now been playing in a club for about 3 years. I'm a blades EJ, but my main blade in tournament play is Nexy Lissom: I've been playing with it for over 1 year now, with Xiom Vega Pro on FH and Nittaku Hi Super Drive on BH. I play a controlled offensive game with greater value on spin and ball placement than on mere speed. If I can't finish my opponent on 3rd ball, I settle for longer rallies. As you may have guessed from my rubbers, my FH is more aggressive than my BH. I play in a local league, so I don't know my rating. Sooner or later I'll post a video of myself, so that maybe someone can try to rate me on the US scale.

EDIT: ====================== part 2 of my review ==========================

I had a few more training sessions with Amazon this week-end, and they basically confirmed my initial impressions. I couldn't compare it to Lissom directly (fogot it in the office), but the two blades are similar in many respects. Maybe because their construction is somewhat similar:
Lissom: White Ash - Ayous - Secret core wood x 3 - Ayous - White Ash
Amazon: White Ash - Burned Ayous - Carbon - Secret core wood - Carbon - Burned Ayous - White Ash
In any case, the throw is pretty much the same and hardly required any adjustment.
Amazon's throw is maybe a bit higher. Lissom vibrates more and has a lower top speed.

Serve:
it's easy to serve short and spinny. Actually, even coming from Lissom, some adaptation in necessary: sometimes the ball came even shorter than expected, and landed into the net :-(

Push:
it's easy to keep the ball spinny and low, as easy as with Lissom.

Chop:
rather effective. Amazon may be suitable for defenders. I have no clue as to how it would play with pips, though.

Loop:
sufficient dwell time to generate spinny loops, but you really have to "make bang impact" and engage the carbon it you want them to be fast.

Block:
Amazon is a dream for playing soft blocks and drop shots, as the thick ayous layers effectively dampens incoming speed.
On hard blocks the carbon layer comes into play, so they're not as bad as I initally thought. However if you like to block hard and sharp, you may want to look elsewhere, as Amazon lacks the precision and directness of stiff blades: even with harder rubbers on the blade, it feels as if you were blocking with soft rubbers.

Smash:
This is an OFF- blade, not a blade for hitting through concrete walls. See comments about hard blocking above. I move fast (too fast actually, as this is often the cause of my mistakes) and with big movements, so OFF- blades are plenty fast for me.

Flip:
in the short game, Amazon shines. Due to the low weight and nice balance, it's easy to flip with.

Conclusion 2:
If you're looking for a blade that excels in the short game, Amazon may be the blade for you. The Ayous layers absorb quite some energy of the incoming ball. If you hit harder, the carbon layers will come into play and give you a ball which is faster that one would have expected. The price for that is some non-linearity at intermedates speeds that takes a little to get used to.
Amazon deserves some more testing and is replacing Calix as my 2nd blade. If you're interested in Calix, watch out as I will have one for sale, soon.

Price:
finally there's always the question of price. Is Amazon worth $120? I don't know. We're living in a free market and there blades out there at all price levels. If Nexy is pricing Amazon at $120, that means he's confident that he'll sell some. Craftsmanship and quality of materials are very high, as said, but this is also the case for blades from other brands that cost considerably less. In any case, if you want a white ash outer blade, the choice is not big anyway: Nexy Lissom is priced $20 lower but has no carbon; Nittaku Violin has top notch quality and costs considerably more; I've never seen Yinhe / Galaxy E-4, but it's price is very high for being a Yinhe blade: megaspin sells it at $98, which is 3x the cost of E-1 and E-3. So this may also mean that white ash blades are expensive to produce.

===

Edit (May 2013)
Had some more playing time with Amazon, today, and could also briefly compare it to Spartacus.
Contrary to my previous impressions, I was rather impressed by the blocking ability of Amazon: I could return hard topspins with both soft and hard blocks with laser precision. Looping ability did not impress me today, though, but my movements are probably too wide (see below).
Speed and feel of the two blades are somewhat similar, although the bounce of Spartacus is higher than Amazon. They both have what I've started to call the slow-carbon-blade feel, which bothers me since I first tried Yinhe K-3, especially when playing far from the table, and I have realised I can't get used to.
IMO, Amazon and Spartacus are most suited for controlled and aggressive off-the-bounce play, close to the table, with short, quick movements.

Edited by arg0 - 05/13/2013 at 6:53pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 8:13pm
Link added to 2nd post of the thread.

Good looking review.

Your comments echo a lot of what I saw.

Although I am not a fan of such slowish blades, every time I use a slower Nexy blade for a month or more, then go back to TBS, my game has always improved.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 1:42am
arg0, just noticed you got a 79 gram version. Wow, that is LIGHT, Nexy knows my tendencies for liking heavy and issued me a 83 gram AMAZON. Still, even 83 grams is excessive light for me. Some like low 80s weight, so more power to them. I add egde tape and grip to to fatten it up a bit, but it is still one light blade.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 2:40am
BH-Man,
indeed, Amazon is a light blade. Good for close to the table play, where inertia is a bigger problem. Given the weight range on nexy.com for Amazon ST (74-84g), I asked for a 80g Amazon, in order to get an average weight for the review. According to my wishes, Nexy sent me a 80g Amazon. But as with previous blades, my scale weights 1g less than Nexy's, so I reported 79g.
Join the Nexy Clan!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2012 at 2:06am
Obvious to tell from my posting history that I am certainly NOT a fan of light blades. What is light to me (anything lighter than 88 grams) is heavy to many. A number of people consider 80 grams to be a middle of the road weight. I do not consider a blade heavy until it is around 98 grams, even then, if the balance is good, it doesn't feel very heavy. I am odd in that respect.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2012 at 10:34am
Quick advice for Amazon testers: do seal the handle, otherwise it'll quickly get sweat stains.
I already have to clean mine, after only 5h of play...
Join the Nexy Clan!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2012 at 11:27am
I like grip tape. Just me.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 2:11am
I added part 2 of my review in the post above.
Join the Nexy Clan!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 5:51am
I don't want to sound down on AMAZON. I tis jsut a different class of blade for an allround OFF control player, or possibly a modern defender. Even if the Softer feeling slower Nexy blades I have tried out over the months are not like the TBS, my game always improves as the blade forces you to focus on fundemental shot making and tactics.

I see many of the same stuff, yet this blade is right in the territory of what pundit coaches recommend to beginning, intermediate, and even some advanced players.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 5:52am
Bogeyhunter, are you reading this thread? You might be next in line to test this blade that I can ship you. Just throw me a bone from your boneyard to tryout.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 5:57am
One of our selected members for AMAZON testing has for sudden reasons became NOT able to receive and test AMAZON.

There were several members close to the guess, like YBFLASH or DBAILEY, maybe another member if one of these two does not step forward...

Please post here YB or DB to get your shot at AMAZON or I have to move it to another memebr soon.

Thanks.
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2012 at 7:49am
Just received the Amazon! Must say a pretty looking blade and really, really light!

I will test the blade in the next couple of days and post a nice review.

Below you can find some pictures:

Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2012 at 11:14am
Good pics VD, if you can play the TT game and review as well as your pics, then you are one good motor scooter indeed.

Good stuff dude.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 2:04am
This thread has been dormant for a while.
Testers are welcome to post their first impressions, while they're preparing their full review.
Join the Nexy Clan!
elpasott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elpasott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 10:41am
Here is my brief review of the Amazon:
Construction:  I like the feel on the handle just perfect to my hand considering im using the flare version, I havent tried the straight though.

Appearance: Very simple design, not to much colors on the handle, which is the same with my old gergely.

Touch:  Although I have used this blade mainly for matches, I havent used this for practice, there still a little bit of vibration, also the cracking sound at first I thought it was the rubbers, I think it has to do with the blade composition.

Blocks:This blade is good on close to the table, close to the table is good but if youre away from the table the ball is kinda move slower so its easily get crushed. You need to have good backhand rubber for this blade.

Forehand Drive:This blade is not the same category as TBS, Schlaeger or one the few offensive blades. I agree with arg0 this blade is cosidered offensive minus/allaround plus.  Im used to heavy fast blade like the Schlaeger, so if finished a forehand drive theres no other way it can be block, with this blade, you have to be ready coz it sometimes going to get block.

Thats it folks, thats my initial review on this blade, hopefully Il do some more testing on my way back to el paso.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 11:19am
BTW elpasott and I finished a mamoth Bicycle trip to a Seoul and to a few clubs. We are wore out from carrying bikes up and down dozens of flights of stairs changing train lines. I also had a crash & burn fun. We both got our Amazon around teh same time. I put on the rubbers on his FL version he tried it with and those were pretty close to my first impressions. A new sheet of H3 on BH wing and the Amazon certainly made for a cracking like explosion at impact. I thought it was the rubber as some China rubbers like Black Power sound like you are impacting the side of a wood fence with a brick. I think it was bot the rubber and the frequency vibration. I put 999 on quattro on the ST version and that crack went away. he put on a different BH rubber and it was better.

elpasott, like myself, favors rediculous heavy blades that are very stiff and have little vibration, so naturally the Amazon is not constructed like this. Yes, with this blade, you have to be ready to continue the attack, because you are not likely to hit through anyone on your first attack, unless you are very deceptive on your placement. That can be a good thing long term for your game as it makes you have to focus on control and placement more before going apeschit on the finishing shot. This happens to me every time I use a slower Nexy blade for a month and go back to TBS.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 1:30am
I will leave a note to help people understand better.

I wrote that there will be only a few people who will be attracted by this blade in the blade explanation, but now I think a little bit different.
It's quite different from other blades, but that difference will definately be overcame soon.

After playing this blade for a while, I can find that this blade will help people play better, because it has good "bang impact", while the weight of it is still light.
So, you can attach very heavy rubbers, and then the real value comes out better.

People are saying that this blade is still very powerful away from the table, but most of them are using heavy rubbers, recently developed, such as 1Q XD from Tibhar.

I will wait more to read others' reviews.

Thank you all.
Brand Manager of NEXY
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 2:15pm
I agree with Nexy's post above. This was very similar to my impression of the blade, because I found that it had a surprising amount of power for a blade that was so light (mine is 79g).

Ok, so I am finally getting to write the full review. my apologies for the delay, as I had a very busy weekend. So here it is:

Rubbers Used: BH = Tenergy 05 / FH = T05 and Barracuda
Weight: Blade Weight is 79g, and was not too head-heavy because of its light weight.
Sound & Feel:  This blade has a hollow sound and an above-average sweet spot compared to other carbon blades. Even my partner noticed the different sound and how it stood out from other blades. However, this sort of helps you know when your hit is done properly, since the sweet spot vibrates a bit and has that hollow sound, so it serves as a mental "marker" for your stroke, but the sound and vibration did not bother me. The vibration is noticeable, but not excessive. I prefer a little vibration anyway. I remember when I played with Innerforce ZLC, I hated that it was so "numb" with no vibrations or anything, but this is a matter of opinion for the player.

I agree with Nexy's statement that this blade is quite "different." What I mean is that it feels number and slower with short shots, but open up with vibration and power when driving/looping. I found thsi quite interesting and a little non-linear, but in a good way, because that means it is more forgiving in the short game than other blades that are fast all the time. So I felt confidence in handling the short game with great placement and angles, and knew that the blade would flex and provide more power when I stepped away.
FH Hit, Block & Drive:  Close to the table is where this blade can really dominate the game. I felt that it was rigid and fast enough to do quick, controlled block and hits, while still having the flexibility and feel to drop back and loop, even close to the table. So I would do some set ups with a hard-angle block and then do a put-away loop. Plus, the light weight allows for quick maneuvers.
Short Game (Flicks, Flips, Touch Blocks, etc.): The light weight allows for great wrist movement, which allowed me to get some great flicks and flips off of underspin serves. Touch blocks work nicely because the vibration becomes useful when doing these shots.
BH Drives & Hits:  In my opinion, this is the blade's biggest weakness. Even with Tenergy 05, I still felt a lack of speed from the BH. This is not to say that I could not hit spinny and fast shots, they just had to stay close. The moment I stepped away (about 3-5 ft.), I had to use all of my power in my BH to keep the same speed, and past 7ft. it was basically impossible to counterhit or counterloop with the BH.
FH Loop: This blade is better for driving close to the table, but better for looping away from the table. I think this is due to the way it flexes substantially with greater power, so I could still loop with my FH 7 ft. away because my FH loop away from the table is a longer stroke and the Amazon flexed enough to keep the ball on the blade the whole way through it, so I had no trouble looping. However, I do not think thsi would be the case if I was using a traditional rubber. The fact that I used Tensor Rubbers made a difference in what this blade was capable of.
BH Loop:  Pretty much the same as mentioned above with the BH drive/hit. I found that I had better luck away from the table if I focused more on spin and less on speed, so that the arc would be greater and the ball would clear the distance. I think the BH will be a little problematic for people using traditional non-tensor rubbers like Sriver, Hurricane, etc.
Serves:
Nothing unusual here. Performs fine.
Chops: I am not a defensive player, so this is not something I explored. However, I do not think it would work very well because of how it flexes when you give it power, so that might hinder a Defensive player's chopping when they get away from the table.
My Personal Reccomendations & Opinions:
If you are an offensive player like me, then this blade will work well for looping while still being stiff enough to block well. It has good versatility fro the offensive player, BUT YOU MUST USE HIGH-END TENSORS, AND HAVE A VERY FAST TENSOR FOR THE BH. If you use traditional offensive rubbers, then the overall combo will be more like ALL/ALL+. As for the BH, I found T05 to not be enough, and I would recommend T64 or something faster than it. Also, I found the Barracuda to be better on the FH than T05, but that is a personal opinion...
However, as I stated in the beginning, this was a 79g blade I was using, and getting a heavier blade will certainly add more power, but I can say that I have never played with a ~80g blade that had as much power as this one, so that counts for something in my book.

Overall: I like the blade, and was quite surprised with it, since I can say it is unique and different from other blades I've played. I really like the light-weight, so I will definitely keep this one for now, and it will serve as the blade I use for comparing other light-weight blades that I play with in the future. I think Nexy has gotten quite clever with this blade and it has more versatility than most blades.

Whew! All done! Thanks to Nexy and BH-MAN for allowing me to test the Amazon. My apologies if this review is super-lengthy, but hopefully it will be informative LOL Wink

- Jeremy

Edited by 128YinYang - 05/28/2012 at 2:20pm
Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by 128YinYang 128YinYang wrote:

I agree with Nexy's post above. This was very similar to my impression of the blade, because I found that it had a surprising amount of power for a blade that was so light (mine is 79g).

Thank you for the nice review.
I really felt the same way as you felt, when I tested this blade.

Regarding back hand, I think you need to find some other way.
This blade is not weak at all with back hand, too.
But I think there must be some character in your back hand swing movement.
I'm pretty sure sooner or later that you will find how to make good back hand.

I will post this review in my diary thread.

Thank you, again.

Edited by Nexy - 05/28/2012 at 9:16pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

Originally posted by 128YinYang 128YinYang wrote:

Thank you for the nice review.
I really felt the same way as you felt, when I tested this blade.

Regarding back hand, I think you need to find some other way.
This blade is not weak at all with back hand, too.
But I think there must be some character in your back hand swing movement.
I'm pretty sure sooner or later that you will find how to make good back hand.

I will post this review in my diary thread.

Thank you, again.

What about if you use softer rubber for your back hand side?
I wish you could test it and find some better aspect of the blade later.Sleepy
Brand Manager of NEXY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic