Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PanBati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanBati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello.
    Posted: 05/12/2012 at 6:03pm
Hello,
this is my first time on these forums so I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Diego and I live in Aruba.
I recently started playing Table Tennis and my teacher told me to hold the racket in a classic style.
(Which is called shake hand I believe)
Then I saw my friend holding the racket in a Chinese Penhold, I tried that out and I felt more comfortable using the Chinese Penhold.
My teacher told me that I shouldn't learn the Chinese Penhold because I wasn't raised playing table tennis or I didn't begin playing that way.

Can someone give me any advice?
Thank you.

Sincerly,

Diego.
Sponsored Links

Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 6:26pm
Just listen to your teacher and you will achieve a power greater than any of your friends :D
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by PanBati PanBati wrote:

Hello,
this is my first time on these forums so I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Diego and I live in Aruba.
I recently started playing Table Tennis and my teacher told me to hold the racket in a classic style.
(Which is called shake hand I believe)
Then I saw my friend holding the racket in a Chinese Penhold, I tried that out and I felt more comfortable using the Chinese Penhold.
My teacher told me that I shouldn't learn the Chinese Penhold because I wasn't raised playing table tennis or I didn't begin playing that way.

Can someone give me any advice?
Thank you.

Sincerly,

Diego.

Here is the thing - if you stay with penhold grip will your teacher still coach you, or will you be able to find a good coach who is proficient  in penhold?

If YES, then sure - stay with penhold especially if you like it more. If NO - then probably you will be better off quickly switching to shakehand.

I should tell you that when I started playing at 7 years of age, I also started with penhold because it originally felt more comfortable. However, my impression is that it is a very superficial feeling, and it actually becomes much easier to play with shakehand once you are past some initial stages of the game. Just my 2 cents!

And the main thing - whatever you choose - stay with the game! Play table tennis for the fun of it, at least!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Rule #1: teacher's always right.
Rule #2: when teacher's wrong, see rule #1.

+1

I'm a penholder, but I recommend my students to learn shakehand.
Penholder requires to put more effort into the training.

I believe after the beginning stages, it can make more sense if the player chooses to stay shakehand or go penhold.

I find my students who started off shakehand improves fasters compared to the ones insist on penhold. To me those penholders just have an unnatural grip and when adjusted to correct grip, including stroke motion, they feel extreme discomfort.
One of them keep making excuses, so I don't bother to correct him any more. Now he is getting behind on progress compared to the rest of  the class....
I emphasize on a lot of "text book" styles, think it is because of strict Chinese coaches I had in the past.

I believe for chopstick users, it is easier to learn penhold. Especially with the years of experience in wrist movement.
Shakehand imo is still better and easily to learn and master.

PanBati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanBati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 7:17pm
Okay.
Thanks a lot for all your replies!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 7:23pm
If you think penhold is comfortable, try playing a RPB (reverse penhold backhand). Big smile
Just joking, welcome to the forum!

PS: To summarise previous advices:
Rule #3: if teacher is still wrong, ask another teacher.
Rule #4: if the other teacher is also wrong, or if there's no other teacher, see rule #1.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
PanBati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanBati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

If you think penhold is comfortable, try playing a RPB (reverse penhold backhand). Big smile
Just joking, welcome to the forum!

PS: To summarise previous advices:
Rule #3: if teacher is still wrong, ask another teacher.
Rule #4: if the other teacher is also wrong, or if there's no other teacher, see rule #1.

Win :p
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 8:28pm
do whatever you want but if you stick to penhold at least change club LOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2012 at 2:40am
One thing I noticed myself when playing RPB vs SH BH flip - close to the net is, if I miss judge the placement and the ball is more towards FH side then center of table - SH player can move the elbow right (for Righ handles) and can still manage to flip the ball over using BH side, but for RPB - the wrist is locked up and can't use elbow to buy space, will need extra footwork movement to the right.

But to me from a beginners coaching prespective, if the player is comfortable to PH, then learning the basics is similar. And funny enough, I feel it is easily for me to teach SH how to serve spinning serves, compared to my PH students - I believe it is the lack of wrist movement, that the student needs to get comfortable with - since you also agree Chopstick can work, maybe I will tell the PH student to use Chopstock for the rest of the month? lol
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 4:20am
Use what is more comfortable for you.  I initially used PH grip but later on use shakehand and never look back.  It is more natural for me although I use chopstick.

Edited by doraemon - 05/14/2012 at 4:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic